Tennis | Page 155 | The Popjustice Forum

Tennis

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by backstreetjoe, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Christ almighty, what an awful final that was.

It's a bit of a shame for the game that in Sloane's two big home finals she's not really had anything much to do bar some solid retrieving. The way she goes about it is sort of solidly impressive without ever dipping into "Wow" territory, like some of Kerber and even Wozniacki's retrieving. It's all part of what makes her game quite effective (though very dull to my eyes nowadays), but I just don't think the crowd get a chance to really root for her and feel that exhilaration properly when she does come through with the title in the end.

Ostapenko was godawful. Sloane's retrieving caused a good bit of that (again in a non-flashy way but she just chipped back so many midcourt paceless floaters), but that serve... Utterly killed her momentum every time she broke.

Mike likes this.
  2. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Thrilled Sloane won. I hadn't seen that many matches of hers before her injury but the US Open vs Venus and this has sold me to being an official fan of hers.

The men's final is a nightmare.

londonrain likes this.
  3. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

The best final Sloane's played was in Acapulco a couple years ago against Cibulkova. It was a beautiful combination of aggression and defense. She's such a natural athlete that she make retrieving look easy, whereas Kerber or Woz let you know how hard they're working.

What's impressive is Sloane took down two of her counterparts in her run, both the reigning Wimbledon and Roland Garros champions, and a somewhat resurgent Kerber as well. She may have got a stroke of luck in Vika not being match fit, but she took her out easily a couple weeks back in Indian Wells, so who knows.

The sky's the limit for Sloane, and looking at the tour right now, if she wants it, she can have it.

4. I'm really hoping to get lucky with Wimbledon tickets this year, I was lucky enough to go a few years ago.

5. Whoa. Didn't expect Isner to be in the final.

6. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

A result on the men's side that we'll all agree to forget tomorrow morning.

On to clay!

londonrain likes this.
  7. Agreed.

If only being trash had more of a detrimental effect on one’s results..

8. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

I love the Monte Carlo tournament, it's so picturesque. Sublime, even.

Great to see Novak turn back the clock and have a good opening win, hopefully he can continue the form and take out Coric to set up a meeting with Thiem, and possibly Nadal in the quarters. His red and white Lacoste kit is one of his best too, I was looking up prices earlier today.

Poor David Goffin being caught in the top half of the draw though, I really want him to find his top form again. So much fun to watch him fly around the court.

The bottom half is really Cilic or Zverev's for the taking.

MollieSwift21 likes this.
  9. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

I really like Novak’s kit too. Definitely improved from the hardcourts too.

I’m still regretting not buying Addias one for the US open because i thought it was a bit too much but i still really like it.

10. Stuttgart draw is a bloodbath even by its own standard this year. One of my absolute favourite tournaments on either tour.

Someboy likes this.
  11. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

Spare me the entire men's clay season if it's really going to be another Nadalathon.

londonrain, Mike and MollieSwift21 like this.
  12. Should they even go through the charade of playing the French Open? He won the whole thing for the loss of only 35 games last year; this time I wouldn't be surprised with even fewer.

Someboy likes this.
  13. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

It's just too bad that Thiem, Rafa's would-be heir, takes such long, massive strokes on the ball, which can only get you so far against your fellow top players.

And I suppose it's also too bad that Novak's decline happened at the precise moment Roger and Rafa found themselves again, but he's fought against them so many times it seems unfair to will him back to the top just so they can have a rival again.

14. This time last year, Maria was coming back from her ban and some of us were actually tipping her as a potential French Open champion.

Let that sink in.

Totto and londonrain like this.
  15. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

Imagine the clapping emoji between each of the following words:

The tour has left Maria behind.

16. Serena pulled out of Madrid, meaning she only has Rome to prepare for Roland Garros.

Do we think a Radwanska retirement announcement is coming this year? Plagued by injuries, form in seemingly permanent decline (she hasn't won a title in over 18 months), nearing 30, recently married...the signs are all there.

17. Blimey JoKo won a match on clay. She played pretty well apart from trying to hit winners off good returns too often. Petra carried her Prague form to Madrid I see. And Maria snapped her losing streak. Wonder how she'll do against Begu who cruised past Ostapenko.

londonrain likes this.
  18. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Good win for Novak.

Lots of interesting third round matches upcoming on the women's side too.

19. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

I didn’t realize Novak had such a good draw, if he finds himself he could make the final.

The women’s draw is a bloodbath in the best way.

20. I have been far too busy during one of my favourite times of the tennis year (much of this due to the European timezone).

How nice to have a draw with Maria, Vika and Petra in it an all playing well to some degree. I was so irritated we once again missed Ostapenko-Pova once again though. Hopefully they can meet in Rome, or in the latter rounds of Roland Garros (a guy can dream). I'm intrigued to see how this clay swing is gonna progress on the women's side. There are a few storylines on the go at long last.

The men are also playing.

Jokes aside, I enjoyed the final set of Shapovalov's match today. Firmly on the bandwagon for him, which is probably a negative thing given how Raonic and Dimitrov's careers have both gone, the last two young guys I got on board with. Speaking of which they're playing now. Funny to think many would've thought they'd be meeting in a Wimbledon final at this stage, rather than a Madrid second round.

At least Madrid has provided us with a new all time great Djokosmash.

londonrain likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.