Tennis | Page 182 | The Popjustice Forum

Tennis

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by backstreetjoe, Oct 25, 2009.

1. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Last three slams have been straight sets for Novak. He wasn't giving anything up on his serve.

Really wanted Petra to get a few weeks at number one but happy for Naomi. Great match.

londonrain likes this.
  2. Petra may still get the number 1 at some point in the year. She's been really consistent at the premier events.

londonrain likes this.
  3. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Possible but she has so many points to defend. Naomi just has Indian Wells I think. I don't think moving forward Naomi will be that streaky in comparison.

4. Petra doesn’t have that many points to defend at Slams, though. A few more deep runs in Slams this year could get her the #1 ranking.

5. The Petra/Naomi match was really fun to watch on Saturday morning. Found myself rooting for Petra but I was happy to see Naomi have her moment after the US Open debacle.

londonrain likes this.

6. This is kind of amazing.

7. Yastremska is getting a pretty bad name for herself very early on which is a shame as she hits the ball so well. Wish I could get to Bath for the Fed Cup this week but work does not permit it.

8. I'm really looking forward to the Fed Cup this week! Fingers crossed we get a good performance out of Team GB. It would be so nice to actually win the promotional play-off this time...

backstreetjoe likes this.
  9. Naomi and Sascha breaking up, what a bombshell. Surely something has gone on here for such a major move to happen so out of the blue... She doesn't seem the type at all to get a big head all of a sudden and feel she's bigger than any component of her team.

10. I wonder what went down.
    He's helped her so much. Wow.

You know, I was a little suspicious when Sascha was so far down on the thank yous for this post on IG after winning AO.

Sascha is going to be hot property now. I wonder who will snap him up next.

11. He definitely likes the limelight and attention, taking credit etc. And I mean he really has had the results to justify that media craving, but I wonder did that start to really grate on Naomi, who is obviously a lot more retiring and private.

12. Another thing I noticed... when Naomi was losing against Tsurenko in Brisbane, she brought Sascha on court and she was having a major meltdown. He did his best, but as he came off court his mic was still on and he was like 'oh my gaaawd' in a super exaspastered way like he thought she was being a bit of a drama queen. It just seemed like he didn't know what to do for her.

The announcement also seems kinda cold. Or maybe I'm reading to much into what isn't being said.

This is how it seems to be on the WTA though - coaches be with 4-5 different players in a 2 year period.

Darren Cahill is no longer with Simona, so I guess he's looking for a job at the moment?

13. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

No, Darren’s taking a step back from coaching, and considering he was still helping Simona practice and prep a bit during the Aussie, I doubt he’d jump to coach Osaka.

I thought Osaka and Sascha were going to avoid this trend that’s derailing the WTA, but I suspect he asked for a nice raise, pointing to her meteoric rise (Indian Wells, US Open, Aus Open is an amazing hat trick in 12 months) and she and her management balked.

14. I'm hoping she finds someone who can keep her positive.
    I think she also could do with some help on her second serve and unforced errors.

The rest of 2019 will be interesting for her.

I think Sascha would be a good fit for Madison Keys.

15. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

Can I say the recent coaching split I hate the most is Kamau Murray and Sloane? They were perfect.

Sick Sad World likes this.
  16. Reading the some of the crazy theories about this on Twitter is fun.
    This one in particular - read the whole thread:

It seems to be a Serena stan account though, but it's from the day Naomi won AO and then it was retweeted today.

I kinda get the impression that their relationship ended before AO, but Sasha was kept on to save face/prevent too much of a frenzy whilst she was playing.

17. Maria is out of Indian Wells with her ongoing shoulder injury.

I'm really starting to think she's on the verge of throwing in the towel. I used to think she would stick around for the Tokyo Olympics and then make a farewell appearance at Flushing Meadows, but with the best will in the world, that's 18 months away and she's been physically struggling for a while already.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019 at 7:07 PM
  18. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

Oh, I think she gives Roland Garros a real push, goes to Wimbledon as a formality, one last push at Flushing Meadows and then begins her new career as an art dealer. When she’s down in her matches these days, she looks over it rather than determined like she would be in her prime or even 2015.

Trousers likes this.
  19. I think Tokyo 2020 will bring a few careers to an end: Serena, Venus, Vika, Maria... Roger and Rafa?

20. I think for Vika, it depends entirely on how much progress she manages to make in the meantime. And as I said, the chances of Maria getting that far are looking slimmer by the month.

As for the rest...we'd probably have said the same about the last Olympics, although Roger has pretty much already said that this year or next year will be his last.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.