Tennis | Page 183 | The Popjustice Forum

Tennis

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by backstreetjoe, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Some interesting momentum swings in the matches at the end of this week. Elina was on fire against Simona and then somehow lost 5 games in a row and the match. Simona won 18 pts in a row against Elise and then ended up losing the match. Both were high quality by the way.

2. Naomi trying to give the reason for dumping Sascha without really giving it.
    Sounds like his presence became toxic to her for some reason.

Kamau Murray must be kicking himself for going with Monica Puig now. He would've been a nice fit for Naomi.

3. Oh gosh, I think I'm properly stanning for Naomi. It's almost embarrassing.

Anyway - so she's been having some bants with Tsitsipas on Twitter and Instagram and then he goes and posts stories with the conversation they're having privately in the DMs:

I imagine Naomi is kinda mortified by this considering she's talking about what it's like on the WTA tour.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    londonrain likes this.
  4. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

If tennis players want to start posting their dms, let's hope Kyrgios is quick to the bandwagon. Imagine.

5. Sure, Jan.

6. Oh dear, Naomi lost her first match since becoming world no 1, against Mladenovic of all people.
    She looked really out of focus, which I guess is understandable.

At least she has more time to find a new coach now? Sigh.

londonrain likes this.
  7. So here comes the sunshine swing. Possible Serena Vika match up in round 2. Tough draw all the way for Serena here if you look past that one. Kenin and Andreescu ones to watch. Brit watch wise Norrie is now top 50 and Dan Evans is 100 after a huge start to the year. Kyle won the Indian Wells challenger too which provided some much needed match wins.

londonrain likes this.
  8. Dan Evans is on fire - I can see him getting into the top 30 this year.

londonrain likes this.
  9. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Hopefully not!

Indian Wells draw was not kind to my favorites but excited for it nonetheless. The easiest tournament to watch live.

10. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

Wow. Serena and Vika.

MollieSwift21 likes this.
  11. Wow. Venus and Petra.
    To be honest, Petra was kinda sloppy, but still a great win for Venus.

Naomi edged past Mladenovic and got her revenge for Dubai... and I mean edged.
    She was obviously nervous and struggled to close games.

12. Andreescu's rise is really something huh? Wish I could bring myself to like her game, purely because I really admire her hustle and hunger at such a young age.

Weird to think Kerber could well be about to win her first premier or premier mandatory title, as a three time slam winner.

13. Svitolina's forehand this year has me wondering if at its worst its actually more impotent than Wozniacki's (bar the period she had Sascha as her hitting partner). Elina pretty much just steers and places the ball with it, and it's not like she can't be more aggressive with it.

14. Wow, what a final. Very deserved winner in the end. Andreescu's fitness needs work, but she sorta has every shot. Interesting to see if she can work on her conditioning in the next while and become a serious contender consistently.

Also, Naomi Cavaday is a great commentator.

londonrain likes this.
  15. Bianca Andreescu has won Indian Wells. So pleased for her.
    I'm sensing a breakthrough for her like Naomi Osaka had last year.

So now, to be world no 1, Petra and Simona must get into final of Miami and Angie and Elina must win.

londonrain likes this.
  16. Blimey I got it right for once! Fantastic final. What a superstar Bianca is.

17. I'm kinda sad Belinda didn't make it into the final... Belinda and Bianca could be sisters, they look so much alike.

18. So, Bianca beats Angie for the second time in one week.
    She's also 'the biggest drama queen ever already' according to Angie:

Not a good look, but also kinda hilarious and typically WTA tennis.

londonrain likes this.
  19. Very classless and pathetic from Angie. She just seems mad that an 18 year old has such a well rounded game that is highly effective against her own, and that Bianca is on the come-up.

I don't think she'd say that to any players closer to her own age. Classic example would be her not saying anything to Makaraova a couple of years ago in Cincinnati or Toronto/Montreal, when the latter was crying and acting like she was literally dying any time she started to choke or lose points (though it was an understandably salty shake from Kerber when she did lose that one).

20. She was similarly salty to Puig when she lost the Olympic final, wasn’t she? I remember that handshake being rather frosty.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.