Tennis | Page 194 | The Popjustice Forum

Tennis

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by backstreetjoe, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

Oh, for sure, Simona will lose to Coco. It'll be a shot for shot remake of the Anisimova match at the French.

2. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

What's funny is I had actually typed out what I wanted to post, then deleted it, but it seems my curse is so powerful it doesn't matter if I go back and delete before posting, the sheer act of typing is enough to bring down any player I'm hoping will win.

londonrain likes this.
  3. Simona will expose Coco; the latter is not enough of a big-hitter to push through Halep the way Anisimova did at the Roland Garros. If anything this will be more of a Halep-Swiatek rematch.

Trousers likes this.
  4. I see pretty much zero resemblance between Gauff and Anisimova though. Gauff relies far more on movement and all court play than the consistent aggression off both sides that Amanda plays with.

5. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

I know the ‘shot for shot’ comment would imply otherwise, but I suppose what I’m getting at is Simona will fall behind and then throw in the towel, accepting another ‘bad day’. But, we’ll see.

6. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Hoping for Gauff to win.

Sloane is my top player left on the women’s side so hopefully she can make it through too.

7. The hype around Coco has already been ludicrous and only has the potential to set her up for a fall. I dread to think what it'll be like if she does manage to beat Simona.

Sloane is 0-3 against Jo and we all know whose side the crowd will be on, so my expectations for her aren't terribly high.

londonrain likes this.
  8. The Andy/Serena pairing was such fun to watch. Not ideal that she'll have to play twice on Monday, but her record against Suarez Navarro is - even by her standards - frighteningly one-sided, so she shouldn't be taxed.

londonrain likes this.
  9. Time to breathe a sigh of relief if you were living in dread of a Channel Slam from Barty...

EDIT: Fortunately Serena won, as the organisers would be tearing their hair out at the prospect of a Riske/Suarez Navarro quarter final. Serena must jump for joy when she sees Carla's name in the draw; that's a grand total of 20 games conceded in seven meetings with her.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    londonrain likes this.
  10. I didn't even think about Serena winning, but out of those who are left she would be my favourite.
    Court 2 really is a graveyard for womens seeds.

11. As predicted, Simona is through. Nemesis Zhang looming in the QF though and with Halep being so hot and cold this year... anything could happen.m4a

londonrain likes this.
  12. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

It’s funny, I think we’ll either get Halep v Svitolina or Muchova v Zhang, but not a combination of the two.

13. I'm really rooting for Pella to win this one. I love both Zhang and Halep, but I see the most likely scenario being the latter making the final and then losing to Serena.

Edit: Ahhhh, 4th match point now, I can barely look...

Edit #2: YES! What an amazing fightback. 2 former finalists downed now.

14. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

I have to laugh at Novak’s draw, he couldn’t make it easier if he was told to write it out himself. But, such is the perks of being number one.

Of course, off the court, specifically when it comes to Justin Gimelstob, he’s been an utter disappointment.

Mike and londonrain like this.
  15. His play today notwithstanding, Berrettini is quickly becoming my new obsession.

londonrain likes this.
  16. I was predicting a Kvitova/Pliskova final so that's a bust. Serena/Simona I guess? Can't see Jo getting past Serena, but you never know.

Men's side looks as predictable as ever; today's matches were glorified practice sessions for the big 3.

londonrain likes this.
  17. What a WTA day.

Thank god someone has shown that beating Barty is not at all impossible, and I'm glad Riske backed up that Vekic win. She'll likely not do herself justice against Serena now and give Williams yet another easy round. Serena's draw to the final being a cakewalk for a second year in a row is so disappointing and dull. But again, very WTA that she was the one player who delivered a predictable result today. Other than Halep I guess, but a lot of that was to do with Gauff's game being totally mismatched with her. Coco has been great for the game but those forehand slices make me cringe. And the forehand generally really.

Typical Pliskova underwhelming in a slam match and failing to raise her level to take her chances and make the latter rounds. Svitolina on the other hand has done a great chance of capitalising on a soft draw and sneaking through when nobody cares about her. It will again be very WTA if the first slam semi she makes is on grass. Has to be a favourite for it against the tired Czech tomorrow.

Very impressed with Konta once again. I just wish you could rely on her in a semi or a final. She will deliver a stinker again like against Marketa last month.

Bummed for Milos that he couldn't pull out a win but he's another one who couldn't bring any real inspiration when it mattered the most. Other than that a very dull day for the men, but hopefully will culminate in great semi finals and a great final (which isn't won by Novak whose off court antics are really, really pissing me off lately).

Someboy, londonrain and Mike like this.
  18. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

I can’t take any commentator or pundit who bets on Pliskova before a tournament, especially a slam, seriously. If she wins one, it will be a matter of happenstance rather than a breakthrough.

19. This has been a long time coming.

PopCrushed, Mike, Trousers and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.