Tennis | Page 195 | The Popjustice Forum

Tennis

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by backstreetjoe, Oct 25, 2009.

1. It's about time. She should've done this about a year ago.
    Some of the OCC interactions are so awkward to watch - she seemed to have no respect for him and spoke to him like filth.

If only Naomi was brave enough to let Jermaine go. He is not what she needs right now.

2. Oh FFS Jo.

You know that "tennis apocalypse" scenario you were all on about at the French Open? That's what Strycova winning this tournament would be.

Trousers and londonrain like this.
  3. Chris Evert giving the exact criticism I’ve had of Jo all summer: she’s very good on her A-game but she has no Plan B when someone successfully disrupts her rhythm. Jabeur did it at Eastbourne and Strycova pulled it off here.

Jo’s forehand errors were frequently painful to watch.

4. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

In the back of my mind, I do have the worry of Strycova pulling a Vinci, but it’s one thing to disrupt Konta, an entirely different ballgame to do the same to Serena. And if the upset were to happen, you’d have to favor Halep in the final, who would happily run down everything.

I am happy for Svitolina to make it through to the final four of a slam, but her nerves were tough to watch, she’s lucky she was playing such a tired opponent.

5. Jo should get the Nobel Peace Prize for not lamping that dick of a journalist today. It sounded like he was telling a naughty child to go and stand in the corner and think about what she'd done.

She's the only British female tennis player to do literally anything of note in 30+ years, and certain sections of the press in this country seem to hate her for it.

6. I get that it’s disappointing she didn’t win, but there was no reason for that question. She was absolutely right to put him in his place like that.

7. Serena was literally playing god-level tennis in mixed doubles. Ripping returns from Martin's serve and then acing him every now and then. Murray was little bit off today, I hope he finds his groove the next match.

londonrain likes this.

8. I'm not sure what this guy wanted Jo to say, I mean... yeessh.

londonrain likes this.
  9. BTG

BTG

The trash men defending the journalist in the replies. Because, of course.

londonrain and sapnu puas like this.
  10. I haven't had a chance to scan any of the match highlights from today yet, but that report was an utter disgrace, particularly given that Konta always gives excellent, fair and insightful press conferences. I can't think of any other player on the WTA less deserving of rude or patronising questions.

And I say that as someone frustrated with her late tournament faltering at both of the recent slams.

londonrain likes this.
  11. Even more trash: this headline.

744CA480-319F-42EA-B9FD-A48585B32D00.jpeg

Is it literally impossible for a woman in the public eye to be remotely assertive without a tabloid being a misogynist arsehole about it?

(That’s a rhetorical question. We all know the answer, sadly.)

Trousers and Floppie like this.
  12. I haven't been following tennis as closely as I used to, how has Novak been problematic off-court?

13. 2014

2014 Moderator

Did that journo think he was a coach or something? He sounded so out of line - I thought Konta dealt with it fine.

londonrain likes this.
  14. Rooneyboy likes this.
  15. Another Cibulkova-like story; Roberto Bautista Agut had originally booked his stag do in Ibiza for this week, which speaks volumes to his assessment of his Wimbledon chances.

Obviously there'll be plenty of excitement around the first Roger-Rafa match at Wimbledon since their iconic 2008 final. That aside, the men's tournament has unfolded in predictable fashion with all the hype around the young guns coming to nothing. Yet again.

londonrain likes this.
  16. SIMONA IS THROUGH THE WIMBY FINAL AFTER AN EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE AGAINST SVITOLINA.

I cannot contain my excitement and cannot believe a fellow Romanian went so, so far in tennis. She's now a Slam finalist on all three surfaces.

17. I'd say Serena is the favourite on Saturday, but when Simona gets to the final of a slam, she doesn't give up easily. This has the potential to be a classic.

Gabeee9292, londonrain and Someboy like this.
  18. I hope Serena wins so we're closer to her getting the most grand slams and then she can retire in peace.

londonrain likes this.
  19. Well, if she wins on Saturday then she ties the record (as much as you can call Margaret Court's record a record, given that it was mostly before the Open era).

He likes this.
  20. Plus, Margaret Court is a horror bag so any and all records relating to her should be purged from the universe.

I'm rooting for Serena but I'd be happy to see Simona grab another slam, which I think she will even if it's not this one.

EDIT: Couldn't resist an amazing Serena stat; she's now reached at least one Grand Slam final in each of the last 13 years, and 19 of the last 21 years. Legend.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.