Tennis | Page 250 | The Popjustice Forum

Tennis

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by backstreetjoe, Oct 25, 2009.

1. You're not the only one.

Gabeee9292 likes this.
  2. I had no idea he existed before the ATP Tennis Cup pre Australian Open and goddamn he stands out. I am thirsting.

AllRed likes this.
  3. Funny you posted that photo, because it's what originally drew my attention to him hahaha You CANNOT unsee these calves!

Then it turned out he's a monster of a player. I have no choice, but to stan.

Gabeee9292 likes this.
  4. Same! It's the first time I properly saw Karatsev and when I tell you my jaw dropped...

And yes, pushing through all the way to the QFs of a Grand Slam, coming from qualies, in such fashion is inspiring to say the least. Nothing to lose against Dimitrov either up next.

AllRed likes this.
  5. Aslan v Matteo

6. Berrettini's withdrawal is a big disappointment, that match against Tsitsipas was the most compelling pairing this round. Rooting for Stefanos to make the final (and win)

7. The women's top half of the draw is hysterical now. Svitolina isn't ever winning a slam, isn't she?

These are our QFs now:

Place your bets...

(1) Ashleigh Barty - (25) Karolina Muchova
    (22) Jennifer Brady - Jessica Pegula
    Su-Wei Hsieh - (3) Naomi Osaka
    (10) Serena Williams - (2) Simona Halep

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    londonrain likes this.
  8. Scenes at the Andreescu/Brengle WTA250 match:

It's like a scene from The Birds.

PopCrushed, Gabeee9292 and londonrain like this.
  9. Berrettini is built in such a weird way. Calves nowhere to be seen and as you go up, his thighs are big, his buttocks are big and his stomach/chest look almost like a huge rectangle. Still, a beautiful man and a great player.

Incredibly sad to see him withdraw due to his injury. I guess Novak didn't want to share his miracle-working physio with Matteo?

10. I'm hesitant to write her off too soon, as we could have said the same about Simona three or four years ago, but Elina has squandered several chances to really make a run and got thrashed in both of her semi-finals, so the signs are not encouraging.

Gabeee9292 likes this.
  11. This is true but Simona did benefit of a more transitional era when there just weren't as many young guns creeping in as there are now. Svitolina not only has to face the established top players she already was but she also has to now deal with the youngsters squad of Swiatek, Andreescu, Kenin etcetera consistently going deep in their draws, potentially facing them and it's only going to get worse from now on.

What's alarming is that her last two slam losses weren't even against any of those. Podoroska at RG and now Pegula just brought their A game and that was enough which makes me think the mental hurdle for Svitolina being the clear favorite in her latter matches in a Slam could be huge and too much to overcome for now.

Speaking of Kenin, her three sets loss an 18 years old Australian ranked #988 at the Philip Island Trophy was... I'd just take a break and reasses things.

Edit: I am SCREAMING at this.

"There's birds shit all over!" skskssksksk

[​IMG]

12. Man, Naomi is so clutch, what a hard-court player. Hsieh's angles are electric, but she's not quite able to finish off a few of these rallies. I can see this being two pretty comfortable, but very entertaining sets.

PopCrushed likes this.
  13. Serena was amazing today. Can't wait to see what the outcome will be in the end. Naomi is such a tough opponent so it will be incredibly interesting.

Also, the Russian king is through to the semi-finals. We have to stan.

Gabeee9292 likes this.
  14. If a 27-year-old qualifier who's never made it to a main draw before succeeds where almost an entire generation has failed, I will never stop laughing.

Serena was brilliant today, but I can't help feeling Naomi will have too much for her. I'd love to be wrong though; Naomi is getting to a slam count in double figures whatever happens this week, but there can't be many more shots left for Serena.

AllRed likes this.
  15. Sad for Simona but you can't beat an in form Serena without a proper serve. Add in a couple of misses on crucial points and the scoreline perfectly makes sense. Serena will have to raise her level for Naomi because there were moments today when she did lose the plot, Simona was just incapable on capitalizing and dragging the match on to a decider.

Thrilled for Karatsev though!

AllRed likes this.
  16. When Novak "I'm so injured I might not be able to play the fourth round" Djokovic wins the title on Sunday, everyone act surprised, OK?

17. Indeed. How tedious.

18. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

Didn’t realize Uncle Toni has a Popjustice account!

MollieSwift21 likes this.
  19. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

Y’all I saw that Barty loss coming from a mile away, and I’m kind of surprised more people didn’t have it circled. Muchova can play (and Barty started spraying errors...).

20. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

Muchova impressed me so much when I saw her in 2019 at the US open. I wasn’t that surprised either.

Someboy likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.