Tennis

londonrain

Staff member
I would genuinely like to know what Leylah thought should have happened instead of that medical timeout. Your opponent is literally dripping blood down her leg... um, what do you want her to do?

Also, not USTA president Mike McNulty saying "...your grit, your determination and your smiles have become role models and an inspiration." Gee, I wonder if he will be complimenting Djokovic and Medvedev's smiles tomorrow...

Honestly, super impressed by Emma's composure! She had an advantage on Leylah from the very beginning and played lights out even at the most crucial moments. I was kind of annoyed at Leylah complaining to the supervisor about the MTO. I don't follow tennis that closely, but even I know that players can't continue if they're bleeding on court. Emma did well to regain her momentum when Leylah had the chance to break in the final set.

londonrain

Staff member
It's not even like that medical timeout cost Leylah the match or something. She had break point, the timeout happened, they went back to deuce... and then Leylah promptly got another break point, which she didn't convert. It's not like Emma went off, had a Stefanos-style toilet break, sauntered back on and then won three points in a row.

On an unrelated note, Greg Rusedski predicting that Raducanu will win multiple slams and be a world number one is sending me. Coco Gauff's hype train found derailed.

It's not even like that medical timeout cost Leylah the match or something. She had break point, the timeout happened, they went back to deuce... and then Leylah promptly got another break point, which she didn't convert. It's not like Emma went off, had a Stefanos-style toilet break, sauntered back on and then won three points in a row.

On an unrelated note, Greg Rusedski predicting that Raducanu will win multiple slams and be a world number one is sending me. Coco Gauff's hype train found derailed.

Emma was ahead of Leylah in the whole match. Leylah smirking and complaining left a bad taste in my mouth because it's not like Emma wanted to stop because she was within a few points of winning. Also, I do believe Emma can win multiple slams (the way she plays reminds me of Djokovic), barring any misfocus by the fame.

As for Coco, she definitely has the game to be a GS winner, but she often gets in the way of herself in big matches and doesn't warrant all the hype she gets, especially from ESPN commentators who keep bringing her up in every match whenever there are teenagers playing. Chrissie Evert is by far the worst offender.

Last edited:

Thing is, with Emma it's actually more believable?
No disrespect against Coco, she's great - but still missing a lot from her game to be what the tennis establishment expects her to be.

What's still nuts about Coco is that she's a year younger than either finalist today but YES, one can't help but wonder if her Slam window may have already closed after being pushed out so freaking early on the biggest stages. The tour knows her all too well at this point.

Also, not USTA president Mike McNulty saying "...your grit, your determination and your smiles have become role models and an inspiration." Gee, I wonder if he will be complimenting Djokovic and Medvedev's smiles tomorrow...
I mean, they have infectious smiles. Their obvious enjoyment on-court has been part of the reason they've had everybody cheering them on all championship. I don't think it's misogynistic to highlight that.

Plus Novak's smile is cold and miserable so why would he say to the men ddd.

londonrain

Staff member
And in two main draw appearances at Slams, the only full set that she's lost is her first set against Tomljanovic at Wimbledon (her second set wasn't completed because she retired). That's a hell of a stat for someone who's only ever played two Slams.

Glad to see Heather take advantage of a weak draw and win in Mexico. Takes her back into the top 50. Great week for Dan too who will have a career high ranking tomorrow. Kyle doing better also. Glad Katie got a win but she really ought to have beaten Zhu. Lower ranked Brits like Jack Draper and Emma Raducanu also having good weeks at ITF level.

JoKo returns next week and draws Clijsters in round one! Late wildcards from Venus and Sloane who desperately need wins.
I'm quite enjoying that I mentioned Emma 18 months ago!

londonrain

Staff member
I mean, they have infectious smiles. Their obvious enjoyment on-court has been part of the reason they've had everybody cheering them on all championship. I don't think it's misogynistic to highlight that.

Plus Novak's smile is cold and miserable so why would he say to the men ddd.
Ddddd nobody thinks Novak or Daniil have infectious smiles anyway. It was just a slightly random thing to say... not least because Leylah barely smiled in that final.

What's still nuts about Coco is that she's a year younger than either finalist today but YES, one can't help but wonder if her Slam window may have already closed after being pushed out so freaking early on the biggest stages. The tour knows her all too well at this point.
In the last five years, 19 slams have taken place and 14 different women have walked off with the trophies. One of many reasons why suggesting that a 17-year-old's moment has already passed is a ludicrous take.

Anyway, back to Emma - it really does feel like the sky is the limit for her. She's untroubled by nerves, seems to have the complete game and is extremely marketable.

I was in the pub and the match was on and... it was lit to be honest. What an achievement!

Me to my friends about Leylah when Emma was getting her knee bandaged:

tumblr_lryj9sONkA1qjpph7o5_250.gif

Thus ends my first and last post in the tennis thread.