Tennis | Page 274 | The Popjustice Forum

Tennis

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by backstreetjoe, Oct 25, 2009.

1. I woke up for the last set of Nole against Matteo and I just... wish I hadn't. :'(

2. Seeing as the prayer circles worked for Svitolina and Pliskova, can we try them on Zverev and Djokovic now?

EDIT: I'd forgotten they were on the same side of the draw. At least this means there'll be someone to root for in the final, I guess.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    Sick Sad World likes this.
  3. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Only if Felix wins.

4. That last game from Sabalenka. Jesus Christ.

5. Emma really showed out omg. This final is going to be iconic.

relby likes this.
  6. Emma is literally another level. What a Final though.

7. I can't believe it. Getting to the final of her second ever slam, from qualifying, having not dropped a set in nine matches? How dare she?

Hoping for a great final, but I can't help wondering what Fernandez has left in the tank after epic three-setters against Osaka, Kerber, Svitolina and Sabalenka.

PopCrushed and londonrain like this.
  8. Surreal! I couldn't watch the matches sadly because the timezone killed me but damn! Can't wait for the final.

9. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

Imagine renegotiating Emma’s Nike contract. She’s about to get Sharapova-esque money. I won’t be surprised if she arrives in Australia with her own unique dress separate from the standard line they give to their other girls.

Two separate things are happening on opposite sides of the draw: one thing I find very frustrating, the other extremely cool.

I can’t shake the feeling that Leylah’s escaping her matches rather than winning them. I also am a firm believer in the philosophy of you play the seven players in front of you, but have any of these top players played a good match against Leylah? Naomi self-destructed and willed herself off court, Kerber probably came closest but was uncharacteristically tired, and Svitolina and Sabalenka made absolute messes of themselves. There’s counter-punching, and then there’s sitting back and waiting, and Leylah’s game is too much of the latter for me. I’d love to see her play the Vika that raced to the final last year or a Serena from years past, if only so I could have a better gauge of her talent, because maybe I’m being too hard on her. But, I don’t know, something isn’t clicking.

Now, Emma’s playing extremely well. She’s aggressively counter-punching, taking the ball early, redirecting it up the lines forcing her opponents out of position, and controlling the baseline. She’s overwhelming her opponents, not unlike a peak-Vika from 2012, staying on the attack even when it looks like she’s in a defensive position. I think if she keeps her head clear until Saturday afternoon, she’s the clear favorite, and then she’s into the stratosphere. A real star is born moment.

londonrain and PushyBakerFriend like this.
  10. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

Slightly less harsh on Leylah but agree with you @Someboy. Very impressive names of people to beat but they weren’t on their top game. Kerber played much better against Sloane.

I was so impressed with Emma. She played a great semi final. Definitely has the youth not feeling any pressure at the moment feeling. A while back I was wanting to like Sakkari but after watching her at the French open and US open in 2019 I got the vibe of someone who can’t close it out or take their opportunities and well!

11. 2014

2014 Staff Member

GO ON EMMA!!!

londonrain likes this.
  12. “Has anyone played a good match against Emma?”

Yes? Kerber was great and after the first set Svitolina was on her highest gear too. For about half of the semifinal Sabalenka looked nearly unbeatable.

I think that question makes much more sense directed at Emma, who has now beaten three players in a row who barely bothered to show up for the occasion, let alone played their A-game.

PushyBakerFriend and Gabeee9292 like this.
  13. Have you seen the angles and the pace Leylah generates? It looks like wizardry at times! That's far from being passive at all. Her opponents self-distruct because of Leylah's tennis and she hits a really decent number of winners herself while making far less errors than them.

It is counterpunching and it's bloody effective. You can't defeat Osaka, Angie, Elina AND Sabalenka during the same tournament by being a sitting duck and hoping for them to miss. Leylah is there.

Also @Lego 's point is valid as well. Granted, I've only watched Emma's match against Bencic thus far but it's not hard to imagine Sakkari's tennis going to hell as soon as the match started and she realised she was one step away from a GS final.

Anyway, let's just give both these young, formidable players credit where it's largely due and hope the match tomorrow will live to its potential.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  14. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

And yet.

No, I mean, she’s winning, and yes, I see the lefty angles and pace, but I think the fact that she’s described as ‘there’ says so much.

That doesn’t mean I’m rooting against her or don’t think she deserves what’s she’s accomplished, I just don’t think there’s a lot of meat to her game. She’s catching her opponents by surprise.

Gabeee9292 likes this.
  15. Re: Sakkari, I did watch and she didn’t even serve at 50% of the level she did against Pliskova. She also decided to adopt Pliskova’s stubborn approach to returning: zero adjustments. With her also struggling to maintain a consistent forehand (especially on big points) she had little hope last night.

Someboy likes this.
  16. Sabalenka is almost there, but she needs to figure out how to keep her composure all the way to the finish line. The ability and desire are absolutely there; seeing two younger girls (and Aryna is still only 23) compete for a trophy that could well have been hers might be the encouragement she needs.

Someboy likes this.
  17. Also, I wouldn't want to write off anyone given the unpredictable nature of the WTA, but at what point do we say Pliskova and Svitolina just don't have it?

Consider their position among the 15 (I think) current players who have had a quarter final run or better at all four majors. Keys, Konta and Pavlyuchenkova have all been patchy in terms of form and/or fitness throughout their careers, Zvonareva's good years are too long ago to be relevant, and everyone else has won at least one. These two have been top 10 stalwarts for years and on many occasions have found themselves deep into slam draws that have fallen apart, surrounded by players with nowhere near their experience, and they have failed to take the opportunities.

londonrain likes this.
  18. I mean... it's tempting to do so but Wozniacki was pretty much in the same position (in fact I'd argue she's had it worse/harder dd) as those two until one day when she just... made it. You never know. While Karo's age might also start weighing in eventually, Svitolina is still fairly young and will play plenty other slams.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    londonrain and PushyBakerFriend like this.
  19. I'm rooting for Daniil like I've ever only rooted for Simona. Zverev had so many chances. Sigh.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.