Tennis | Page 289 | The Popjustice Forum

Tennis

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by backstreetjoe, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Well, Rafa beat him fair and square so…

2. This tournament is getting what it deserves.

3. 2014

2014 Staff Member

While that final will be...eventful, there's not a shred of likability between them so come on Norrie!!1

4. Nick versus Novak in a Grand Slam Final, the first time they’ve played in FIVE years. This one is for the dramaheads.

londonrain likes this.
  5. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Basically what Novak said in his post-match speech ddd. “Lots of fireworks”… you don’t say?

6. Have to root for Nick on Sunday, Nole getting to #21 would have me depressed and I enjoy Nick's game a lot more anyway.

Impartial on the women's side but I feel like this is Elena's to lose IF Ons doesn't make her implode, and there's a great chance for that to happen.

7. Cheering for Ons tomorrow.

Sunday looks like a nice day, maybe I'll go to the park.

londonrain likes this.
  8. Not a Russian winning Wimbledon the same year they banned Russians

9. So happy for Elena. I've been rooting for her since before COVID.
    Living for her absolute non-reaction.

10. I think the first time I saw her was that Dubai final against Simona just before the pandemic hit. She lost, but my God did she make Simona work for it. I had a feeling then that she was destined for great things.

(The non-reaction annoyed me a bit, but I felt like that was because of her achievement taking a while to sink in, rather than detachment or disinterest on Elena's part.)

11. Thrilled for Elena. While Ons is very talented herself, her brand of tennis rarely is enough to get you through the seven hurdles required to win a GS. Just ask Aga!

That too, but let's not forget she was basically hounded by the Russia related questions in her press conferences and maybe she didn't feel particularily great about that deep down. All of that plus the stands clearly rooting for Ons might have thrown her off a bit and she's not one to particularily express any sorts of emotions to begin with. I loved her reaction.

12. I don't know how much you all have seen Rybakina play but that's her reaction to literally everything. She makes Pliskova look emotive on court.

She cried in her presser - it clearly means a lot to her.

13. She was crying (although quietly, of course!) on court as well; I think the non-celebration is a small defense mechanism, not wanting to show just how much it means to her. Very Zoomer.

Her tennis is brilliant, the type of power-based shot-making that crowds will always applaud, and this win feels truly earned, because she was ascending quickly before pandemic took hold. I’d love to see her in more big matches with other dynamic players, to see if she can hold her nerve when someone throws her power back at her. We’ve seen a lot of different players make moves through this season, it would be really nice if through the summer hard courts and US Open if they all played well at the same time and coalesced in a dramatic final slam. Probably asking for too much, but I’m putting it out there!

14. Adorable.

Mikal likes this.
  15. They are both awful but think I’d rather see the anti-vax moron win over the aggressive one accused of beating his ex.

16. This was my thinking as well.

I only saw the very end of the final, but after Berrettini withdrew because of COVID and Felix went out in the first round, my interest in the men's tournament went down a lot. Waiting for the next generation to properly step up is getting really exhausting and tedious.

londonrain and AllRed like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.