That Duffy diet coke advert. | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

That Duffy diet coke advert.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by robots need oil, Feb 27, 2009.

1. justabluefox

justabluefox Guest

I want to live!!!

I can't stop watching this on youtube.

that boy is a monster likes this.
  2. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Staff Member

Do it on Red Nose Day (wearing a red nose) and I bet they'd let you get away with it.

3. RhythmNative

RhythmNative Staff Member

Is it really? I think it's pretty standard fair.

Duffy has a sip of Diet Coke so she does something totally random (but at the same time, very 'her') at a seemingly inappropriate time (just before she's supposed to go on stage).

The message is that Diet Coke makes people 'be themselves' despite the contraints and stresses of every day life.

4. It mKae's me love Dufy too,she is "jst like therest of us!!"

5. Rest assured, if I saw Duffy warbling along on her bike in Tesco, I would push her off it, not smile at the bint.

6. Not a good advert for her voice! I'm sure she's riding through an Asda/Wallmart store!

7. RhythmNative

RhythmNative Staff Member

What's most interesting Dumper is that this campaign is another attempt by Diet Coke to cast off it's association as a 'diet brand', like the 'Just For The Taste Of It' campaign of the 90s. What Coke is saying is that the kind of woman that drink Diet Coke isn't a calorie counting, neurotic, psycho bitch - but someone that loves life and is comfortable in their own (perhaps flawed) skin.

It's all very clever. Or not.

8. It's also to try and escape the traditional Diet Coke ads where the women were sat around lusting after topless men. It's all about INDEPENDENT WOMEN!!! and how they are now ambitious and daring and instead of using their break to do something meaningless such as looking at a hot bod, they can go out and do other things that are more fulfilling.

My issue with it is the whole idea of Diet Coke being connected with women "being themselves", when in fact a significant amount of women (and men) who drink it do so in an attempt to conform to the look/size of celebrities and models in the media. "Be yourself, but make sure you look like everyone else."

They won't be able to shake of it's association with being a diet brand because the bloody product is called Diet Coke!

9. tHat is why, it is Good to have "Dufy" inthe ad, sheis not 'Stick thing", she isa Normel lady!

10. She's a bit boss-eyed too Dumper, just like you.

Finally, a role model for you!

11. She is a real girl, representing all the other real girls out there! hehe

12. Tribal Spaceman

13. Tribal Spaceman

Haha!

[​IMG]

I'm rather proud of mine too.

14. BWA!!
    That's amazing.

15. There's no reason for us to be dissing pugs, thank you. Pugs are amazing.

16. justabluefox

justabluefox Guest

As a person who loves Duffy now (I know!! It's crazy!!) she does not look like an animal or worse than one.

17. Tribal Spaceman

But she does look like a female gremlin.

Eeh, I remember when she were a poor student...

18. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

Every time I see her I look at the size of her head, thanks to Sam Sparro.

19. Damn right.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.