That Duffy diet coke advert. | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum

That Duffy diet coke advert.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by robots need oil, Feb 27, 2009.

1. potatosalad

potatosalad Guest

2. I've already said this in this thread, but i'll say it again:

What is the matter with her voice?! Why can't she hold a note without her voice sounding like it wobbles?

3. Y'all just jealous of her big head!
    There is nothing wrong about that!

4. RhythmNative

RhythmNative Staff Member

"It's only a bloody advert"

This was common place during the late 80s and 90s, along with the spurious connections the artist would try to make to justify selling the brand, particularly with cola brands, no?

Serious question time. Which is worse. Quite honestly and obliquely taking part in an advertising campaign and cashing the cheque, or featuring any number of brand names and product placements in your music video in an arguably more subliminal and deceptive method of cashing the same corporate cheque?

Is the difference here that all the artists that have done the above recently been American pop acts (the logic being they’ve already signed a pact with the Devil – so hey, what difference does this make!?), but Duffy is British – so therefore we expect a little less blatant and shameless selling out - because by being British we (not her) automatically label her as someone that's supposed to be a bit more genuine?

Is that unfair?

5. potatosalad

potatosalad Guest

Who is supposed to be under the illusion that British people are 'more genuine'?

6. RhythmNative

I think - and this particularly applies to the current wave of solo British female singers - is that they are supposed to be more 'real', 'organic', 'down-to-earth' than pop singers from other countries. It's tangled up with Britain's pop heritage, but also as a direct result of the Winehouse effect.

Of course it's heavily marketed that way too, I just think it's a bit unfair to say that because Duffy is from 'The Valley's' and takes photos in black and white she shouldn't be allowed to make a fast buck; when Rihanna, Britney, Kelly Clarkson and GaGa seemingly get away with it.

7. Popjustice

Popjustice Staff Member

I agree.

I think the main problem with this campaign is that while the advertisement undoubtedly works for its target audience in a sort of aspirational superwoman sort of way it's been seen as ridiculous and bad by a very vocal minority (eg us lot/industry etc).

8. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Staff Member

Her album would benefit from being remixed.

As would this advert!

9. All this fancy talk of "minorities", "pop heritage" and "target audiences" - I just think the advert is terrible because her voice sounds like shite on it. Sure, some will find the concept ridiculous, it wouldn't encourage me to buy Diet Coke (because I don't like how it tastes), but seriously, this woman is known for her (subjectively) wonderful voice! A voice which sounds (objectively) horrific in this piece.

10. It makes me piss acid. Duffy is a magnet for horrible people and gross soft drinks.

Noel from Oasis made some rather interesting comments about Duffy today. He's sort of summed up what I have always felt about Duffy.

11. RhythmNative

The 'ad man' speak in 'the making of' would shock me if I hadn't come across the same thing before. This is the language of the industry. No hyperbole is too bold. It is ridiculous, but the way I see it is that the people in the video are essentially still in 'pitch' mode. They don't speak to their Mum like that.

And I think Duffy comes out of it 'alright'. She basically says that she likes Diet Coke (a lot of people do) and that it's a brand with a fair amount of heritage that she doesn't mind hawking. This is basically her saying, "It could be worse!". And really it could be. As I've said before, cola brands have a long history with pop acts and Diet Coke has a rich and high profile in terms of advertising history.

12. Popjustice

Popjustice Staff Member

Well I've heard it all before as well, obviously, but it's still shocking (or jarring anyway) to see an artist publicly in that sort of thing. It's very much the sort of video that's used internally - like this triumph http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZXrc3QqNmk - but never seen by us lot.

13. potatosalad

potatosalad Guest

I don't even look at the London Lite people in the street. I'm a hard bastard I am, charm is wasted on me!

*sips on Diet Coke*

14. Charley

Charley Staff Member

Haha, "It shows that you are really enjoying your job"... You know what else shows that you are really enjoying your job? Memorising your lines and not reading them off the cards the lady next to the camera is holding.

And if anything is going to get me to buy Diet Coke it is THIS.

15. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Staff Member

Oh dear. That's cringey.
    Maybe you should make a video like this to teach us all how to be good Popjustice forum members.

16. Popjustice

Popjustice Staff Member

Smile - it makes all the difference.

17. I know this is going to make me hugely unpopular but I can't help but notice how BIG her ass is on that bike!!!! For a girl thats drinking diet coke.......and I am not a fat basher either (God that sounds so wrong!)!

18. RhythmNative

Fantastic advert, Sex and The City before there was Sex and the City. I supposed that's what I was referring to when I was talking about Coke making culturally impacting ads.

I won’t be happy until ‘Just For The Taste Of It’ has been revived though.

Here’s Whitney…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UsTrIg7qJs

And the Pointer Sisters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uah4rHmOgbM

19. Popjustice

Popjustice Staff Member

It's quite an amazing turnaround, isn't it - it can only be a year or so since they relaunched the 'fit bloke at office' idea with the bloke in the lift. That must have tested extraordinarily badly for this sort of volte face.

(It is probably something to do with the recession.)

20. RhythmNative

...and that the fit bloke wasn't fit. It wasn't well shot, and the setting didn't seem half as aspirational.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.