That Duffy diet coke advert. | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum

That Duffy diet coke advert.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by robots need oil, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Popjustice

Popjustice Staff Member

Yeah but if that was the problem they would have shot it well with a fit bloke in a setting that seemed twice as aspiration.

2. I think, annoyingly, that from a marketing perspective the ad works in that people are talking about it - either because they like it or they have a deep, deep hatred for it. I know plenty of people who wouldn't be particularly interested in music or even care much for Duffy that love the ad because it's 'sweet' and they think she's cute.

Likewise there are people like me, who are keen on music and so on, who think she's not cute in the slightest, and that the ad completely devalues her image. So in one respect, the ad works and clicks with the casual viewers whilst alienating another group . I wonder which she thinks is more important?

3. Popjustice

Popjustice Staff Member

You've put it a lot better than I did.

It works brilliantly for Diet Coke but isn't great for Duffy.

4. RhythmNative

RhythmNative Staff Member

It doesn't make me feel anything about Duffy that I didn't already feel.

5. Charley

Charley Staff Member

Exactly. This is NOT going to sell any Diet Coke!

Didn't Christina have a Coke ad when Britney did 'Joy Of Pepsi'?

6. Popjustice

Popjustice Staff Member

Did you not even think, 'blimey, her voice is a bit weird'?

7. She sounded very odd, but beyond that I don't see the big deal with it.

8. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Staff Member

I thought that about Diana Vickers.

9. Popjustice

Popjustice Staff Member

And you were wrong.

I accept your apology.

10. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Staff Member

Even if you love her you can't say her voice isn't weird.

I actually think the advert would be 10x better if it featured Duffy and Vickers racing around an Asda store on bikes, trying to reach the Coke aisle.

11. It needed a better song. The one that was on it sounded like drivel.

12. RhythmNative

RhythmNative Staff Member

I thought her voice was weird anyway.

I don't really like the song, her voice works better when it's fronting very layered productions full of gushing strings etc. In this track it does seem exaggerated - like she's over-playing a vocal tick – I don’t know if this is the song or a conscious on her part. It’s not as hideous as some make-out – and after the staggering vocal she displayed at the Brits, I can forgive her this.

I think it’s odd, that given Duffy is somewhat an attempted throwback – that the ad didn’t try and play up to the coke heritage and stick her on a period set. Maybe Duffy’s management are trying to move away from that.

Christina has done ads for Coke and Pepsi.

13. vasilios

vasilios Guest

I will say it again...

Tranny Santa Xmas Ad done bad.

I bet there were hours and hours of meetings about whether she should do it or not
    a la 'the money is good but the ridicule will be too much'

If the weather is nice this summer where Duffy lives, will she stop singing with a runny nose by September?

14. I just saw a different version with an apparently re-recorded version - it's actually worse than the first one.

15. In the unlikely event of Noel Gallagher having something good to say about a female artist - any female artist - then I'll be interested. His 'X popstar is shit' rants are almost as tired and repetitive as his music. Almost.

16. I'm amazed that this entirely unremarkable advert featuring an entirely unremarkable artist has caused 3 pages of discussion.

I like Diet Coke.
    I don't dislike Duffy.
    The advert is fine.

*Edit* Should have maybe read the 3 pages first.

17. Is that Dan Scott from One Tree Hill? He's yucky AND HE SHOT KEITH!!!!!!!!111111

18. Charley

Charley Staff Member

But... But... It's the Diet Coke Guy!

19. Charley

Charley Staff Member

Argh, for no reason whatsoever this has been stuck in my head all day!

Is there a poppers o' clock / donked up version of this out there somewhere?

20. This advert has completed put me off Duffy, by the way. Highlights something so w-a-a-a-v-y about her voice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.