THAT! FEELS LIKE! A JESSIE WARE RATE: PLATINUM PLEASURE; ELIMINATIONS! TOP 20!!!! 'SPENT A LOT OF TIME WHEN I WAS YOUNGER LISTENING TO THIS!"

"Midnight" is excellent and definitely deserved a bit better placement.

Extremely pleasing to see "Selfish Love" as a winning song from "Glasshouse", a perfect outcome.

Staff member

Selfish Love

600x600bb.jpg

AVERAGE = 8.178
HIGHEST SCORE = 11 x 1 @Maki & 10 x 8 @Aester @boom bazooka joe @Consideration @j267 @Remorque @Sam @soratami @Yeahyeahyeah
LOWEST SCORE = 4 x 1 @Laurence

MY SCORE = 8.5

LAST RATE PLACEMENT = 21st out of 50

And with that Glasshouse is, unsurprisingly, our first full album to be eliminated from the rate! Selfish Love is definitely one of the stronger aspects of the record, interestingly not making the top 20 last time and being outranked by other Glasshouse cuts we've long since lost this time around (Last Of The True Believers and Love To Love beat it) and other singles from the era (Your Domino, Midnight and Alone all safely made top 20 in the last rate). To come out on top proves Selfish Love has really held up and deservingly so, it's sultriness most likely one of the main giveaways from Glasshouse of what Jessie was about to unleash just one album later.......

Selfish Love was the 2nd single released from Glasshouse, and has an eclectic array of song-writers, including Ryan Tedder (Bleeding Love by Leona), Ross Golan (Single Soon by Selena), Ammar Malik (Symphony by Clean Bandit), Happy Perez (Die 4 Me by Halsey) and production by Cashmere Cat and Benny Blanco. They were chasing that radio hit with this one! The music video accompanying acted as a prequel to the visual that Midnight received (she's a movie star!) It definitely felt like the beginning of the Glasshouse era something could happen, as the leading material was strong, but she's only gone on to be bigger and better and we're all so grateful. Pitchfork reviewed the track, calling it 'carefree' and that 'her dangerous affair is her sweetest taboo'.

@boom bazooka joe = Could honestly have an entire album in this vein. PERFECTION.
@Sam = this album’s only real saving grace
@Kyle. = The promise of an interesting soundscape and album within this pile of shit.
@jvckkk = like Selfish Love and its almost samba touches.

Glasshouse round-up incoming!

x

Staff member
600x600bb.jpg

ALBUM AVERAGE = 6.807

SELFISH LOVE = 8.178
MIDNIGHT = 8.145
YOUR DOMINO = 7.928

Love To Love = 7.599
Finish What We Started = 7.263
Last Of The True Believers = 7.217
Alone = 6.928
Thinking About You = 6.868
First Time = 6.816
Stay Awake, Wait For Me = 6.342
Til The End = 6.000
Slow Me Down = 5.888
Hearts = 5.309
Sam = 4.818

Alone sweetie, I'm so sorry that an ugly ass rate like this would even say that. Oh my god, are you fucking insane? 6.9? 6.9?!

Staff member
Our last tie of the rate today....

Midnight Caller

jessieware2.jpg

AVERAGE = 8.204
HIGHEST SCORE = 10 x 4 @Consideration @Dijah @j267 @Verandi
LOWEST SCORE = 5 x 1 @kermit_the_frog

MY SCORE = 8.5
LAST RATE PLACEMENT = 16th out of 50

Tough Love cut Midnight Caller is our first half of this tie to bow out today; this is a great showing for a bonus track, Midnight Caller is Jessie at her seductive best and also has a bit of bite to it that some other Tough Love album tracks fail to master, so seeing it out-perform a lot of these so effortlessly is very deserving.

The only song on the whole album with just her and one other co-writer (James Ford in this case), the Devotion era looms large on this one and it also leads us to what she would go on to create for Glasshouse (and beyond). Midnight Caller is just the type of genre Jessie can do so well and I feel is a big reason why she's been able to build such a long career, by being able to pull off pretty much anything but to a high standard.

@Kyle. = Queen of late night hookups.
@Mikal = Before she was everybody's mother she was mother for this one. That hypnotic ass video game beat, the femme fatale on the phone lyricism... kindly inject it.

Staff member

Night Light

timthumb.png

AVERAGE = 8.204
HIGHEST SCORE = 11 x 2 @constantino @Phonetics Girl & 10 x 2 @Dijah @Remorque
LOWEST SCORE = 6 x 4 @Aester @NightmareBoy @rdp @Sam

MY SCORE = 9

LAST RATE PLACEMENT = 10th out of 50

With 2 11s, Night Light manages to make it to 26th, and becomes our 2nd song that made the top 10 in the last rate to fall already. I adore the starkness of this one, it's just full on drama and sealed the deal for me when I was first enamoured with her and wondering to take a chance on Devotion or not (why would you not, look at the material etc etc).

Released as the 4th single from the debut, Night Light has Jessie's vocals front and centre with some of the most classical instrumentation of her career behind her, the fact she could create something like this on her debut offering was a good give-away that she would carve a great music career for herself. The song managed to peak at #95 in the UK Singles Chart on its release in 2012. Night Light was produced by Kid Harpoon and co-written with her Devotion dream co-star Dave Okumu. It's music video shows Jessie in black and white surrounded by dancers, re-watching it there's definitely some resemblances to the What's Your Pleasure music video (the growth in confidence is very noticeable between the two). It actually stars both Sam and her sister Hannah, but Jessie admitted to Noisey that Sam 'really doesn't like the song'. His taste is questionable!

@boom bazooka joe = I like the chorus and that's about it.
@Kyle. = The imagery is nice but it feels a bit heavy handed for our Jess.

@constantino = The way this has aged like the finest of whiskeys. The strings, the guitar licks, her vocals, the chorus, the OUTRO…truly one of her best songs and feels like the centrepiece of the album. I’ve ultimately decided to give it my 11 because it has the most transportative effect on me of everything in her discography and engulfs me in the security and reassurance of the past. It’s also a banger, etc.

And top 10 the week this charted included;

Both 2 of my top tier Jessie tracks. I'd have lost all of these before them:
IF YOU'RE NEVER GONNA MOVE (110%)
WANT YOUR FEELING
SOUL CONTROL
MIRAGE (DON'T STOP)
THE KILL
FREAK ME NOW

There's no way these two are already out... both are likely my fave songs of their respective albums. The way the remaining "Tough Love" singles are sailing on despite all being clearly weaker songs, I hate it.

(gonna actually praise the songs soon-ish)