The 00s Emo/Pop Rock Rate | Winner Revealed! | Page 12 | The Popjustice Forum

The 00s Emo/Pop Rock Rate | Winner Revealed!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by fatyoshi, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Remorque, DominoDancing and fatyoshi like this.
  2. I didn't expect to become the rate villain within the first two eliminations. Especially for a pop punk rate. But...I also cannot complain. I believe the two of these were my lowest scores, so I am quite pleased.

Remorque, berserkboi and fatyoshi like this.
  3. The start of this has not been ideal... There's no song I really found that offensive in here. I only have one score under 5.

4. So neither of those are the tracks I expected to go first, but neither of them are particularly standout faves either so I can take that.

Remorque, Crisp X, soratami and 2 others like this.
  5. Not gonna lie, I didn't even remember the This Providence song (seems I gave it a 5 though), so I suppose there are worse starts.

The Maine song is severely cheese-infested, but it does have some melodic interest in the piano lines and a decent chorus. The sappiness does turn me off, but I've heard worse in the same vein for sure. Hell, relistening now, maybe I underscored it a bit...

6. Technically - can you be the villain for songs at the bottom? The consensus would have been with you despite yours being the lowest score, no?

Remorque, DominoDancing and fatyoshi like this.
  7. Ha! True I guess. Then simply "an unreasonably harsh critic". I have given out 8s and 9s and 10s!

8. Not the two songs I expected to be at the bottom, but I'm not mad. The Maine have improved so much over the years this one just sounds too bland in comparison.

Remorque, fatyoshi and livefrommelbs like this.
  9. Two of my lowest scores gone first. The only thing I know about The Maine is always wondering if they were named after my state or the ship.

Remorque, DominoDancing and fatyoshi like this.
  10. Good afternoon. This elimination sees the lowest score (by an individual, not the average obviously) handed out in the rate.

[​IMG]

38. Say Anything - Alive With the Glory of Love - 6.250
    Highest scorers: 10 (@Petit nain des Îles), 8.5 (@DJHazey, @Ironheade , @slaybellz)
    Lowest scorers: 0 (@aux, @sexercise), 5 (@soratami)
    My score: 6

It's time for our track from (inactive?) project Say Anything to go. It seems that when Max Bemis isn't busy giving us the worst album art I've ever seen, having a misguided at best or disastrous at worst album press cycle, launching messy kickstarters, and other things he serves polarizing music material instead. I knew this was gonna have fans and haters in this rate but I didn't expect some to hate this as much as they did ddddddd.

Alive With the Glory of Love is one of the most popular Say Anything songs (especially when ignoring ones that have been disowned) on their most popular album. This band is another one that kinda gets shackled to one of their releases with ...Is a Real Boy seeing massive praise and the rest of their albums getting varying degrees of lesser reactions. Me, personally I've never been a huge fan of Max/this band so I took a few scattered tracks and ran.

As far as commentary from y'all, mainly the ones who were at least mildly feeling it shared something.

@Petit nain des Îles (10) is a stan "Max Bemis is a songwriting genius. I can hear the premises of Los Campesinos! and other twee indie rock darlings right there.". @livefrommelbs (6) "'Wow, I Can Get Sexual Too' is one of my favourite tracks from the time, but I struggled alot with a lot of Say Anything's other material. Case in point." and @Pinky25 (7) "If we had picked a different song by them I’d probably would have given them a much higher score." both prefer other Say Anything songs. It didn't fully click for @DominoDancing (7) "I should like this band. It's cool how playful they are with the standard emo song structures and arrangements, I like the down to earth production, but...I feel the result is always lacking something, and if it's just a properly catchy chorus.".

With that I'll leave us with a selection of other Say Anything tracks.

Our second elimination of the day will come sometime later xx

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    sexercise, soratami, Crisp X and 7 others like this.
  11. That's a bit of a surprise. I don't know much about the band, so the allusions to disastrous press cycles have me intrigued. But most of all I'd really like to know what turns this into a big fat zero for some of you, which seems quite...harsh.

Crisp X, berserkboi and fatyoshi like this.
  12. Yikes, this was one of discoveries for me in the rate. This is not starting well for me at all.

Crisp X, berserkboi and fatyoshi like this.
  13. It's time for the next track to leave.

[​IMG]

37. Madina Lake - Here I Stand - 6.430

Highest voters: 10 (@livefrommelbs, @Petit nain des Îles), 9 (@unnameable)
    Lowest voters: 1 (@aux), 2 (@sexercise), 3 (@DominoDancing)
    My score: 7

With this elimination, we say goodbye to one of the songs I crowd sourced for the tracklist. I don't remember who requested this band when I originally floated the idea of the rate (and it might have been more than one of you) but I'm sorry to break such bad news this early in the rate ":(".

Even though I only know two songs (this and House of Cards), Madina Lake is one of the more nostalgic bands in the rate for me teebs. One of my first online friends I made when I started being more social online the summer of 07 was obsessed with them. Looking back it's kind of interesting that he was into a pop-punk band because he served elitism/real music™ teas and was otherwise a bit of a prick ddddd. Anyways, what I'm getting at is that this song reminds me of that time period.

Madina Lake is a bit of a standout in the rate due to the way they use concept framings. There's a handful of pop-punk/scene bands that do concept albums and whatnot but almost none of them do to the same extent. Reading their wiki page (I needed something to write about) before coming to write this led me to the following:

All of this carried them through three albums and a few EPs worth of material until they broke up in 2013. In 2017 the band returned for a few reunion shows and just this year they released the first new track in almost a decade.

Keeping this in mind, I'm definitely excited to dive further into this band's material someday. As it is now, I ended up giving this track a 7. Another solid but not great score which seems to be where I'm mostly at so far with these eliminations. It isn't a massive loss but there's tracks still lingering that I wish were gone already. Imagine how tired I am.

Let's see what the commentators had to say xx

@Petit nain des Îles (10) was really feeling it "Yas! Their debut… what an album, what a singles run. They got it right, and deserved more success.".
    @livefrommelbs (10) and I both share appreciation for the chorus "THANK YOU FOR PUTTING MADINA ON HERE! I saw them live at Soundwave back in the day and they delivered such a killer set. The chorus of this one is so good.".
    @DominoDancing (3) on the other hand wasn't a fan "Ugh, this is the definition of style over substance."

Tomorrow we lose one of my least favorite tracks in the rate. ":)"​

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    soratami, DominoDancing, aux and 5 others like this.
  14. Oh WHAT!? This is gonna be a bumpy ride to the winning song, methinks.

15. Hm, I suppose I could've guessed Say Anything might be a bit divisive.

Max Bemis is an odd one: he's a very clever songwriter, but he can flip-flop between the fun kind of clever and the irritating kind of clever on a dime, and that's not to mention his constant grandstanding... or his contributions to the shitpit that is Marvel Comics these days... yeah, he doesn't always make his artistic output easy to like. Thankfully, on "Alive with the Glory of Love" and most of its parent album, he got the fun kind of clever down pat. Plus, it's about his grandparents being Holocaust survivors... for personal reasons, I really appreciate that.

I dug the Madina Lake one, not a band I was familiar with prior, but it nails the pop-punk basics pretty damn solidly. I like that it still had more of an edge to it, compared to the other 2007ish entries here. And that concept, colour me intrigued... might hit up their albums on Spotify.

16. Wow those eliminations are... something. Totally unexpected. This rate is becoming a fascinating case of how artists from one realm can be perceived by a different fanbase then. edit: That sounds dismissive of me, but I more clearly mean a fanbase that then grew out of that genre.

I completely forgot Madina Lake has a new song coming, I'm afraid to click play but let's dive in.

sexercise, soratami, Pinky25 and 5 others like this.
  17. I am currently redoing my artworks for tomorrow's eliminations (not the first or last time this will happen during the roll out of these results dddd) because I wasn't pleased with how they looked... They'll look bad regardless but I gotta have some level of standards.

[​IMG]

soratami and DominoDancing like this.
  18. Say Anything was a discovery for me, a small one admittedly but it's better than some that still remain.

fatyoshi, slaybellz and Crisp X like this.
  19. Let's begin the set of eliminations for today with a positive note (for me). My least favorite track in the whole rate is leaving.

---

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

36. Forever the Sickest Kids - Whoa Oh! (Me vs. Everyone) - 6.470
    Highest voters: 10 (@sexercise), 9.5 (@livefrommelbs), 8.75 (@Remorque)
    Lowest voters: 2 (me), 3 (@DominoDancing), 3.5 (@Ironheade)
    My score: 2

It seems that the band with the scene's resident duck hunter and rolex watch scammer is out of the picture xx

Forever the Sickest Kids is another artist that can be put with The Maine, Mayday Parade, and the like in terms of the newcomers that cropped up in the later 00s. I actually liked this band at the time unlike The Maine. I was first exposed to them during the "Warped Wednesdays" block of TV programming that Fuse used to air during the summers while they were still primarily a music based network. That was my first exposure to a lot of bands from the scene, in this rate or not.

Out of Dallas, Texas the band formed in 2006/2007 and released three albums and a few EPs across their career. They went on hiatus around 2013 or so and have only returned to play an occasional show and press their first record on vinyl since. According to wikipedia the band announced the end of the hiatus before a show in 2019 but they don't seem to have done anything else in that time period so who knows?

Though I was definitely a fan of this band at one time, I never really enjoyed this song. I feel the same way now, some things never change. The more vapid than usual (which says a lot) song writing and grating melodies/vocals were a bit much. Selena Gomez offered her vocals to a remix of the track but as with most of these pop star/scene intersections, it felt like a waste. There's so much potential to be had in these collaborations and as someone who has an affection for both scene music and pop, one would think it would be existence erasing. It's too bad that it isn't.

Let's see what some of you had to say about this:

@livefrommelbs (9.5) - This one still holds up. By the time FTSK were kinds of the pop-punk scene I was very much more into post-hardcore, but I can't deny this is an absolute anthem

@Petit nain des Îles (8) - This sounds better than I expected? The electronics touches are nicely integrated too. Also, it’s one of those times I wish Absolutepunk.net hadn’t been completely erased from the web, as there used to be memes about the frontman’s weird obsession with... hunting ducks.

@slaybellz (6) - Not really a fan of this one. "My Worst Nightmare" from the same album would have gotten a better score from me.

@DominoDancing (3) - Sounds like a billion other songs. Also: bad haircuts and racing cars. I am turned off.

---

Karma got its kiss for me. The next elimination stings a bitsy.

20. Another pretty forgettable one, but I'm thrilled we were able to wedge Selegend into a writeup.

soratami, Crisp X and fatyoshi like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.