The 00s Emo/Pop Rock Rate | Winner Revealed! | Page 13 | The Popjustice Forum

The 00s Emo/Pop Rock Rate | Winner Revealed!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by fatyoshi, Apr 16, 2020.

1. I feel that elimination really highlights how much power nostaglia and context have in the way I've scored some tracks. It's lyrically trash, but I have such vivid memories of loving the melody of the chorus and stuff that it was hard to see any major flaws.

2. This played a part in a lot of my scores. There are lots of songs that just remind me of high school and though they aren’t so good that feeling makes the song a lot better.

Crisp X, slaybellz and fatyoshi like this.
  3. Not a fan of this one myself. Not awful, but it's hard to get past how vapid the whole thing feels - a real candyfloss watering-down of a once-vital genre, as often happens in their sunset years. (Pop punk minus the punk? Not ideal...)

Best thing about Forever the Sickest Kids? Not their actual music, but the funny story of how they got big. While they were browsing PureVolume, days after they formed and before they'd even written any songs, they somehow accidentally spent $350 to get front-page placement. So they cobbled together "Hey Brittany" in a few days, and that one song triggered an actual bidding war between labels - won by none other than Universal. So I guess they don't need our approval in this rate, because they've already had some ridiculous luck!

4. What will be chopped now?

[​IMG]

35. Underoath - A Boy Brushed Red Living in Black and White - 6.500
    Highest voters: 10 (@Petit nain des Îles, @Ana Raquel), 9 (me)
    Lowest voters: 1 (@soratami), 4 (@aux), 5 (@livefrommelbs)
    My score: 9

Surprising probably no one, Underoath is next to go. Even choosing a song from the band's more accessible period, I knew it was gonna have a rough go of it. With frequent use of screaming/harsher vocals and a heavier sound overall it definitely had its detractors.

Featuring one of the longest and most varied careers in the rate, Underoath has been at it since 1997 (other than a 2 year breakup between 2013 and 2015). Starting from a much heavier point (the first EPs had black metal influence) the band over time hopped around in sound, going a bit poppier as seen here before doubling down on the heavier elements once again before the breakup. Now they're kinda in a weird middle ground between all of the facets of the band and member's side projects over the years.

I have a lot of affection for this song and to a much lesser extent the album it came from. It was my (and many others I'm sure, seeing the sales figures) first ~heavy album and even though I don't return to most of it beyond this track too frequently that has to count for something. I've spoken elsewhere about preferring the band's later heavy material without Aaron's vocals but this isn't the time for that.

Let's see what voters had to say:

Petit nain des Îles (10) "The love I’ve had for this band since 2007... They’re Only Chasing Me Safety and Define The Great Line defined (no pun intended) my middle school years. I wasn’t aware you could scream over poppy songs like this! I appreciate how, at the core, it’s basically an emo pop song that could’ve fit on Taking Back Sunday’s Where You Want To Be, but then that breakdown spices things up. It’s no surprise they just took off with this album, as it’s filled with hooks and contains their most radio ready stuff, at least up until their reunion album. My only gripe with it, is how one dimensional Spencer’s screams were at the time. Having just joined the band, he would become a much more versatile performer on the following albums. A deserved 10 anyway."​

livefrommelbs (5) "Underoath were generally too heavy for me on the hard vocals (give me George from Alexisonfire and the odd scream in a post-hardcore track and that's about it from me). I struggled to score this one because I appreciate the band's role in the scene and the era but this never soundtrack my teenage angst."

DJHazey (6) "When I was in love with bands like Atreyu, it seemed like everyone was into Underoath but I never caught on even after buying the debut album. But I did find a song called "You're Ever So Inviting" years later and that's a bop."

DominoDancing (5.5) "Okay-ish. Packs a lot of punch, but it's very screamo-by-the-numbers."

---

How are y'all taking the results so far?

Poppier pop-punk stans might be in for it a bit with tomorrows eliminations. What are you wanting and/or expecting to see go next?

Also does anybody have any comments/feedback so far? Is this elimination pacing fine? Are the write-ups solid enough content wise? Any requests?​

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  5. Okay, happy with that elimination. I respect Underoath entirely, but they're not for me. I did love some of the songs from Aaron Gillespies' The Almost, though!

And @The Hot Rock - my only feedback is positive! Loving the pace of the elims and the write-ups. It's great to get your take on these songs as you're our esteemed host, so keep sharing your thoughts as we go.

6. Hnng... now I'm prepared for my faves to go at anytime. I can't even make bets about the next eliminations because anything could happen at this point.

7. [​IMG]

Sorry, I know the harsh vocals are an important part of a few music genres and a lot of people are into that, but it's just not for me.

8. *shreds your nu metal rate invite*

Also surprised to hear @livefrommelbs might not be a fan of that rate when it comes either.

Like I said Underoath just never captivated me much back then despite a lot of people of I knew being obsessed with them.

9. I wasn't planning on taking part anyway, I'm afraid that one just really isn't for me. My average would probably make @Empty Shoebox look like @berserkboi dd

berserkboi and fatyoshi like this.
  10. Ah, yeah, you may want to shred mine as well when you hear about my probable Limp Bizkit score...

Anyway, sad to see this one go. Underoath's mid-career albums, I find inconsistent in general, but they nailed this one. Good bit of poppy metalcore here.

Crisp X, DJHazey and fatyoshi like this.
  11. If you're only going to tank Limp Bizkit I can live with that. I need your System of a Down and Deftones support!

12. Dddd wait at this rate accidentally becoming the Hunger Games. No one is safe.

Whoa Oh is kinda messy but it’s a bop that I have a lot of nostalgia with.

Meanwhile, that Say Anything song was horrendous. I tuned out from listening to it half way through. I never really got into them so that was one of the songs I never heard before.

13. HI. The cull of late 00s entries continues.

[​IMG]

34. The Summer Set - Chelsea - 6.670
    Highest voters: 10 (@sexercise), 9.5 (@Ana Raquel), 9 (@Petit nain des Îles, @aux)
    Lowest voters: 2 (@Jeffo), 3.5 (@Ironheade), 4 (@soratami, me)
    My score: 4

The Summer Set is next to go.

I wasn't exactly a fan (Brian Dales serves a lack of emotion in his vocals constantly) but still ended up having a ton of exposure to them during the first album era due to how tightly packed the scene was. Bands spent time touring with what felt like a selection from a small pool of choices to make up their tour lineups so if you had any bands that you couldn't stand odds are you couldn't escape them. While not a band I felt that strongly about, The Summer Set is one that I managed to catch live three times all while going to see someone else.

Hailing from Arizona, the band released four full length albums (including their debut "Love Like This" that houses this track) until they went on indefinite hiatus in 2017. Unlike other bands in the rate, The Summer Set has yet to take advantage of nostalgia and cashed in on a reunion, anniversary tours/shows, or repressings of old material so they're a bit unique in that notion.

This was yet another one that I was surprised to see go so soon. I'm not a fan by any means but this definitely felt like one of the more PopJustice adjacent tracks in the list. It seems that they went further in on the poppy elements of their work on the following albums so they might be worth a look if you enjoyed this track.

Let's see what commentary we ended up with:

Petit nain des Îles (9) "What kind of Lindsay Lohan/Amanda Bynes-led teen movie bop is this?"

DominoDancing (8) "Standard highschool pop-punk in a lot of ways, but quite a good chorus, and has some oomph despite the slick production."

livefrommelbs (7) "When he says 'let's take this back 2005?' I FELT THAT. Take me back, pls. The chorus is bop material, but The Summer Set were always a little too 'candy-coloured MySpace HTML wallpaper' for me."

slaybellz (6) "I never got into this band but I always thought their drummer was hot and cooler than the rest of them. That's all I have to add, this song is basic."

---

Will be back for the next elimination in a bit. It's along the same lines as this one sound wise.​

14. Cool "Lovefool" ripoff in the chorus of this one, The Summer Set. Barely even noticed it!

Also the singer sounds like a giant walking nose.

15. How about another?

[​IMG]

33. The Friday Night Boys - Stuttering - 6.730
    Highest voters: 10 (@unnameable), 9 (@Petit nain des Îles), 8.5 (@slaybellz)
    Lowest voters: 2 (@aux), 4 (@DJHazey), 5 (@soratami)
    My score: 7

I thought this one was cute. I know I've spent a handful of the eliminations slamming a few of the previous cuts for being vapid and this isn't much different but it just works for me. I will not be elaborating.

The Friday Night Boys is yet another rate band that cropped up in the later half of the 2000s. Signed to Fueled by Ramen with the help/push from Alex Gaskarth (of fellow rate band All Time Low) in 2008, the band released one full length, some EPs, and a compilation of unreleased material before they broke up in 2010. Lead singer Andrew Goldstein has since went on to produce or write for a bunch of artists including Britney Spears, Linkin Park, Demi Lovato, Fifth Harmony, 5 Seconds of Summer, Ne-Yo, Celine Dion, Jason Derulo, Selena Gomez, and more.

As with a lot of artists in the rate, this band is another one that never seemed to catch on in any substantial way. A lot of the smaller ones in Fueled By Ramen's roster had a rough go of things especially. It wasn't from a lack of trying on the band's part or support from other members of the scene. As previously mentioned, the band had a supporter in Alex Gaskarth/All Time Low and was frequently taken out with them on tour as support. Something just didn't click for listeners. Similarly to how it didn't click for our raters apparently dddddd.

Don't have a lot to say about this, sorry. One of the more uneventful bands in the rate gets a boring write-up. Shocking.

Let's see what we got for commentary this time:

Petit nain des Îles (9) "Honestly, pinching myself for not hearing this before. This is exactly the kind of summery bops I would’ve blasted through my screen multicolored mp3 player in middle school. It’s so breezy and poppy, and just what I crave in the genre."

slaybellz (8.5) "This is from when the genre had gotten really lazy and blatantly formulaic but damn it's catchy."

DominoDancing (6.5) "Eh. Fine I guess. Props to the singer for apparently going on to write songs for Celine Dion though!"

---

Tomorrow the late 00s get a break for now.​

16. I thought Stuttering was pretty annoying which basically no other song in the rate was for me. So that's why it got the 4, which was my lowest score.

Pinky25 likes this.
  17. It looks like the Lovers lost...

[​IMG]

32. Hawthorne Heights - Ohio is for Lovers - 6.800
    Highest voters: 10 (@Ana Raquel, @sexercise, @Pinky25), 9 (@DJHazey, @livefrommelbs)
    Lowest voters: 3 (@soratami), 4 (@Ironheade), 5 (me, @Petit nain des Îles, @slaybellz, @aux)
    My score: 5

At number 32 we say goodbye to Hawthorne Heights and their signature track Ohio is for Lovers. Let me tell you... this has to have the most stereotypical "Emo" lyrics of the rate. I'm at a loss for words. It's definitely a bit of a mixed bag for me in terms of my thoughts on this elimination but that's always been the case for me and this band. PopJustice on the other hand was just Not here for the singy-screamies...

Out of Ohio (a shithole state that our host also resides in ":)"), the band formed in 2001. Over the years since then they've released six albums, some EPs, and even some alternate re-recordings.

Hawthorne Heights has been a band that I have some level of respect/love for even if their music is almost always not it for me. I did have a brief stint where I was into them and their first four albums for a few months but it didn't last long. What can I say, I'm a fickle binch sometimes.

They've been through so much (the death of a member, label problems, the messes that stemmed out of said label problems, and so forth) yet they're still at it. I don't check for them frequently but it's comforting to see them doing The Silence in Black and White Anniversary tour leg #69 and doing their own thing no matter what else seems to be going on. I'm gonna be really upset if/when it comes time for the band to breakup and they get outlasted by any of these other rate artists. It just doesn't feel Right.

This track got a bit more commentary than usual so let's see what we have:

sexercise (10) "I think emo culture peaked with this one."

livefrommelbs (9) "Oh man, STRAIGHT IN THE FEELS. This one actually makes me a little sad to listen back to. This rate at its most angsty and emo. Ya love to see it."

DJHazey (9) "A nice re-discovery here. I thought I first heard this way back on the Burnout: Takedown soundtrack, which is seriously loaded with songs that would fit in this rate. I guess not (looking at it now), but for some reason I think I discovered them through Funeral For a Friend (on that aforementioned soundtrack) and finding similar bands, or vice-versa."

DominoDancing (7) "A lovely song dragged down by screamo vocals that don't fit at all."

Petit nain des Îles (5) "This suddenly sounds slightly better in this playlist than ever before to me. I’ve always struggled with this band, sorry nn."

See you again in a bit for the next cut xx​

DJHazey, berserkboi, Crisp X and 5 others like this.
  18. pikachu_shocked_face.jpg

Wow - that wasn't one I saw coming. I thought in a rate celebrating 00s emo/pop-punk, surely this is one of the standouts? The apex of LiveJournal-ready emo lyrics. The perfect storm of hard and soft vocals. It's overblown and OTT but I thought that might have worked in its favour GUESS NOT.

DJHazey, Ironheade and fatyoshi like this.
  19. Well, you just nailed why I don't care for it. It's just so OTT and corny, especially when the singer sounds soooooo whiny on top of it. I swear he's like a half-step off key sometimes.

Still, could have been worse. Our host could have inflicted Simple Plan on us!

20. ..

[​IMG]

31. The Audition - Warm Me Up - 6.870
    Highest voters: 9 (@livefrommelbs, @Petit nain des Îles), 8.5 (@DJHazey), 7.75 (@unnameable)
    Lowest voters: 5 (me, @aux), 6 (@Ironheade, @Ana Raquel, @sexercise, @Pinky25)
    My score: 5

Everybody felt a bit cold on The Audition so it's time for them to leave. This is another artist in the rate that could've scored higher (in the case of this band, possibly 3-4 points more) if the track was different. Popular/general consensus continues to be shit so what can you do. You saw the draggings I gave pop-punk fans in my one bonus post...

I don't have a lot of feelings on this song either way. I enjoy the slightly heavier edge to the track (without getting into any unclean vocals) and Danny Stevens is one of my favorite vocalists in the rate (the things his vocals did for a teenage The Hot Rock...) but that's about it. I'm glad it wasn't one of the very first eliminations at least.

Similar to today's other elimination (Hawthorne Heights), The Audition was also signed to Victory Records. For those that aren't well versed in scene happenings this label is a fucking mess and it might as well be a death knell for anybody involved. There doesn't seem to be much about problems this band had in particular with the label but seeing what happened elsewhere with their roster I'm not willing to give the benefit of the doubt. The Audition released four albums with Victory before being free of them with an EP. Unfortunately that was mostly it for the band.

I had noticed that the band reunited a few years back for a string of shows at Slam Dunk festival in the UK but nothing else. I thought this was a bit odd since the band came from Chicago. Was this band particularly big in the UK or something? I was hoping someone on here would have experience/be able to elaborate.

Anyways, let's share the commentary:

Petit nain des Îles (9) "I can’t even tell you how pumped up the intro made me! I haven’t heard this in a long time and it’s a nostalgic reminder of how underrated they were. The melodies and chord progressions are very reminiscent of the 00’s UK alternative scene, so that’s a plus."

livefrommelbs (9) "Don't Be So Hard will always be the one for me, but Champion was a superb album and this was always a highlight."

DominoDancing (7.5) "A particularly dumb set of lyrics, and the singer looks like a huge douche. Catchy tho."

sexercise (6) "MTV used to have a section of their website that you could download free music that would change like… by the month, I think? I think that’s literally the only reason I know this song LKASDJKL."

We'll break into the top 30 tomorrow.​

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.