The 00s Emo/Pop Rock Rate | Winner Revealed! | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

The 00s Emo/Pop Rock Rate | Winner Revealed!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by fatyoshi, Apr 16, 2020.

1. I literally had every single one of these songs on a silver iPod. This is the rate my side-fringe and I have been waiting for since 2005.

2. Good morning little scenesters. (Nevermind that it's almost 2 pm where I live. I'm unwell and just woke up.)

I'll be trying to get out that tagging spree and if she's feeling Really productive a bonus post.

Stan The Academy Is... xx

Remorque, soratami, Crisp X and 2 others like this.
  3. Attention, attention.

It's time for some mass taggings. This is just a list I compiled of users that I saw posting in threads that have potential interest overlap, ones that have interacted with/expressed interest in the rate previously, and just others that I think might be interested.

If you're not interested please let me know so I can remove you. I don't want to spam/bombard anyone with notifications.

Remorque, soratami, aux and 4 others like this.
  4. [​IMG]

@Aidan
    @AshleyKerwin
    @AshtrayHeart (i know you've already posted, just working from my list xx)
    @aux (i know you've already posted, just working from my list xx)
    @berserkboi (i know you've already posted, just working from my list xx)​

soratami, aux, Crisp X and 1 other person like this.
  5. soratami, DominoDancing, aux and 2 others like this.
  6. soratami, aux, Gabeee9292 and 2 others like this.
  7. soratami, aux, Crisp X and 2 others like this.
  8. How did I get tagged for this nn.

fatyoshi likes this.
  9. The metal/hard rock for the gays thread. I'll remove you from the list.

Remorque and Up N Down like this.
  10. I do like some rock/heavy elements in my music but yeah this is not quite it.

fatyoshi likes this.
  11. I've been listening to The Taste of Ink for about 30 minutes now and I find THIS thread??? GASP.

[​IMG]

Remorque, soratami, fatyoshi and 3 others like this.
  12. Not entirely sure if I will do this. The list is a bit too American-heavy for me (as a European) and I know too few songs here. Some more international famed artists are cut (Good Charlotte) and I missed when that happened.

I am however very intrigued by your artwork and theme and the time investment there so that makes me question to participate. You can keep on tagging me as I might have the time to do some pre-listening and actual scoring.

13. Ooooh amazing, I'm definitely up for this. At that point in time in my early to mid twenties I had a love/hate relationship with the genre, as it birthed some aaaabsolute bops, but I couldn't help but chuckle at some of the...scene? Visuals?
    Anyway, I therefore know a good deal of the songs on the list, but not everything, so this will be fun.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    Remorque, slaybellz, fatyoshi and 4 others like this.
  14. Also, I'm not gonna lie, I'm a huge AFI fan since before Decemberunderground, so...unless there's a great discovery here, my 11 is set.

[​IMG]

15. I have decided since there is only 40 songs (more rates should do this yeet) I will definitely partake.

Remorque, Crisp X, berserkboi and 3 others like this.
  16. First run-through:
    11 - 1
    10 - 1
    9.x - 3
    8.x - 4
    7.x - 15
    6.x - 4
    5.x - 6
    4.x - 1
    3.x - 2
    2.x - 1
    1.x - 1

I expect the peak around 7 will flatten as I get more acquainted with the songs I didn't know before.

17. Bonus Post #1: Collaboration and community in the scene.

Since I haven't had enough of running my mouth in the original posts and I want to have a comprehensive first rate, your host has returned. This will be my first of hopefully a handful (ideally enough to keep the thread somewhat active/interesting but not too much to where I'm being annoying xx) of bonus posts covering a handful of subjects relating to the scene and artists in the rate. So let's just get into it, shall we?

The emo scene of the 00s was something of a small community. Some artists may have seen greater levels of commercial or critical success than the rest but that didn't stop them from bringing the smaller ones out on tour or stall the general collaboration that was going on. Said collaborations were one of my favorite parts of the scene as I lived it in my teens and I wanted to take this opportunity to highlight some of them.

This is the Big One™

2006's cult classic film Snakes on a Plane saw a soundtrack filled with scene goodies. The main takeaway was the absolute bop Bring It (Snakes on a Plane) which had Cobra Starship (Gabe Saporta of Midtown's then new band) and features from Maja Ivarsson (non-rate band The Sounds), Travis McCoy (Gym Class Heroes), and William Beckett (The Academy Is...)

I'm not a fan of superhero media and as a result don't really get into the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the like but this shit was like The Avengers for my 13 year old gay ass. Attending my first Warped Tour in 2008 and seeing this song performed live with 2/3 of the featured artists erased my existence and remains one of my seminal concert going experiences, even today. Sure William doesn't sound very well... Good in the chorus but this bops anyways, next.

Here we have scene legends The Used and My Chemical Romance serving Fashion, greasy hair, and a misguided cover.

Not content to be left out of the spotlight, we also have The Cab serving a remix of their track Take My Hand with Cassadee of Hey Monday. Once again with questionable fashion and some choice decisions made in regards to the remix but hey, it's cute.

Last but not least, I'm going to highlight a music video and not the music in said video. With their single A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More "Touch Me" scene juggernauts Fall Out Boy released this gem of a music video of vampire mayhem featuring members of The Academy Is..., Gym Class Heroes, and Panic! at the Disco. These bands sure knew how to keep the fans well fed.

---

I realize this is just barely scratching the surface of the topic and the artists in this rate so I'm gonna take this opportunity to list out the stuff I can think of but didn't mention below. This list is in no way 100% comprehensive but it is an attempt.

The Academy Is...:
    Additional vocals from Ryland Blackinton (Cobra Starship) on About a Girl.
    Additional vocals from Mason Musso (Metro Station) and Gabe Saporta (Midtown & Cobra Starship) on Crowded Room.
    Additional vocals from Alex Suarez (Cobra Starship) on His Girl Friday.
    Piano from Blake Healy (Metro Station) on His Girl Friday and Summer Hair = Forever Young.
    Piano from Andrew McMahon (Something Corporate & Jack's Mannequin) on After the Last Midtown Show and Sputter.

Alkaline Trio:
    Matt Skiba is now part of blink-182 with Mark Hoppus and Travis Barker of +44.

All Time Low:
    Lead vocalist/rhythm guitarist Alex Gaskarth has a duo with Mark Hoppus (+44 & blink-182) called Simple Creatures.
    Additional vocals from Juliet Simms (Automatic Loveletter) on Remembering Sunday.
    Co-writing from Pierre Bouvier and Chuck Comeau (Simple Plan) on Time Bomb.
    Additional vocals from Cassadee Pope (Hey Monday) on Backseat Serenade and So Long Soldier.
    Additional vocals from Anthony Raneri (Bayside) on So Long Soldier.
    Additional vocals from Jason Vena (Acceptance) on Outlines.
    Additional vocals from Vic Fuentes (Pierce the Veil) on A Love Like War.
    Additional vocals from Mark Hoppus (+44 & blink-182) on Tidal Waves.
    Additional vocals from Joel Madden (Good Charlotte) on Bail Me Out.
    Co-production and co-writing from Andrew Goldstein (The Friday Night Boys) on Last Young Renegade and Wake Up, Sunshine.

Anarbor:
    Additional vocals from Sierra Kusterbeck (VersaEmerge) and Ryan Hunter (Envy on the Coast) on Contagious (Mixtape Version).

The Cab:
    Additional vocals from Patrick Stump (Fall Out Boy) and Brendon Urie (Panic! at the Disco) on One of THOSE Nights.
    Additional vocals from Patrick Stump (Fall Out Boy) on I'm a Wonder.

Cartel:
    Additional vocals from Juliet Simms (Automatic Loveletter) on Lose It.

Cute is What We Aim For:
    Additional vocals from William Beckett (The Academy Is...) on There's a Class for This.
    Additional vocals from All Time Low on Teasing to Please (Left Side, Strong Side).

Every Avenue:
    Co-writing from Tim Pagnotta (Sugarcult) on Tell Me I'm a Wreck.
    Co-writing from Ryan Key (Yellowcard) on Girl Like That.
    Additional vocals from Tom Higgenson (Plain White T's) on Picture Perfect.

Gym Class Heroes:
    Additional vocals from Patrick Stump (Fall Out Boy) on Cupid's Chokehold / Breakfast in America and Clothes Off!.
    Additional vocals from William Beckett (The Academy Is...) on 7 Weeks.
    Additional vocals from Nate Ruess (The Format & fun.) on Holy Horseshit, Batman!.

Hey Monday:
    Co-writing from William Beckett (The Academy Is...) on Homecoming.

The Maine:
    Additional vocals from Sherri DuPree (Eisley, Say Anything, & Perma) on Ho Ho Hopefully.

Mayday Parade:
    Additional vocals from Dan Lambton (Real Friends) on One of Them Will Destroy the Other.

Motion City Soundtrack:
    Production from Mark Hoppus (+44 & blink-182) on Commit This to Memory and My Dinosaur Life.
    Additional vocals from Patrick Stump (Fall Out Boy) on Everything is Alright.
    Additional vocals from Mark Hoppus (+44 & blink-182) on Hangman.
    Additional vocals from Max Bemis (Say Anything & Perma) on Hello Helicopter and Point of Extinction.

Say Anything:
    Additional vocals all over the fucking place in their discography.

Sing it Loud:
    Additional vocals from Justin Pierre (Motion City Soundtrack) on We're Not Afraid.
    Additional vocals from Alex Gaskarth (All Time Low) on No One Can Touch Us.

We the Kings:
    Additional vocals from Martin Johnson (Boys Like Girls) on There is a Light.

Welp this ended up being a lot more thorough than I had originally intended. I'm going to bed.​

sexercise, soratami, Crisp X and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.