The 00s Emo/Pop Rock Rate | Winner Revealed! | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

The 00s Emo/Pop Rock Rate | Winner Revealed!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by fatyoshi, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Aww, but I was trying to forget all about those!

(OK, I sort of like the We Came As Romans cover of "I Knew You Were Trouble" from one of the Punk Goes Pop ones. Don't kill me.)

Crisp X, fatyoshi and aux like this.
  2. She has woken up and started doing some shit. I'm gonna start rolling out bonus selection results in a couple of hours after I sort out dinner. This is your final warning xx

3. Dinner has been successfully gorged which means results are incoming. We have a humble little collection of results so I'm gonna work on doing either the full selection of albums or tracks in full. Then I'll do the other tomorrow over the next few days.

I haven't decided whether I'm doing the albums or tracks first and will probably use a rng to decide for me. Stay perched to see what we end up with, I guess.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    soratami, DJHazey, aux and 4 others like this.
  4. Ms. Bot says to do albums so that's what we're doing.

I didn't specify any rules for points or ranking the albums in the original post so I'm just gonna work through the list of choices with least amounts of voters to most. I hope y'all don't mind. Anyways, let's get into it. Here's the first chunk of single voter albums.

---

[​IMG]
    The Academy Is... - Almost Here (2005)
    Chosen by: Our wonderful host xx.

There's lots I can say about this one. Not only is this the peak of The Academy Is...' discography but it's also the best from the scene for me. Over the years I've definitely fallen off with a lot of my favorites over time but this one has been one of the few constants. Killer from start to finish.

If you enjoyed Slow Down in the rate please listen to this album and Santi, thanks <3.

My Favorite tracks: The Phrase That Pays, Almost Here, Down and Out

[​IMG]
    AFI - Sing the Sorrow (2005)
    Chosen by: @Ironheade

I was surprised to see this didn't get more voters. The singles are fantastic but I can't speak for the rest as much since I need to spend more time with the band's discog at large. Instead I'll leave you with what @Ironheade had to say.

[​IMG]
    The All-American Rejects - Move Along (2005)
    Chosen by: @slaybellz

This is another one that I didn't spend a lot of time with. The singles were nice and for some reason I fixated on Dance Inside for a bitsy at one point.

Maybe @slaybellz can share some fave tracks, comments, anecdotes.

[​IMG]
    Armor for Sleep - What to Do When You Are Dead (2005)
    Chosen by: ME! (hee hee)

I actually got into this one after I was mostly done being big into the scene (in 09 or so). The gag of it all is I saw this band open for The Academy Is... in the fall of 07 and absolutely hated their set. As a result I wrote them off and didn't bother. Of course by the time I did give them a chance and got into them they had broken up. The clownish behavior from me goes way back.

This one is a standout among my choices and the genre in general for me. It's very much a full package in terms of concept, sound, visuals, and the like. It almost serves Big Pop Girl era as much as anything from this scene could in a way ddddddd. In true Emo fashion, What to Do When You Are Dead is a concept album about well... what happens after you die. Add in more ambitious songwriting and instrumentation than some typical genre fare for an absolute fave.

I'm gonna be completely real when I say that the replay value for this one kinda deflated for me. The subject matter doesn't make for a very.. enjoyable listening but when I do return to it once in awhile it's always a treat.

My favorite tracks: A Quick Little Flight, Awkward Last Words, Walking at Night, Alone

[​IMG]
    Circa Survive - On Letting Go (2007)
    Chosen by: @Petit nain des Îles

Yet another one I don't have a lot of experience with. Most of my time with Circa has been spent with Blue Sky Noise. As always though, their artwork fucking slays.

@Petit nain des Îles had the following to say:

---

There's our first batch. I'll get the next set out a bit later tonight, or tomorrow morning/afternoon.​

DJHazey, Ironheade, aux and 4 others like this.
  5. Oh I didn't even think about adding my favorite tracks. My blurb feels a bit short compared to the others now dd. On Letting Go is one of my most influential albums. I can still recall the day I first put it on, next to their debut, as my family was commuting to a cousin's new apartment. One of my most cherished childhood memories. My favorite songs are:
    • The Greatest Lie: The song that got me into the band. It was actually on a sampler CD, for the very last magazine issue (Rock Sound's final one at that, the coincidence) I bought. I was completely mystified when I first heard it. Up until that point, nothing I had listened to came close to their sound. And when I found out the fantastic singer behind those sky high vocals was a man, my worldview was turned upside down. It encapsulates Circa Survive in 4 mins.
    • Kicking Your Crosses Down: Foreshadowing later attempts at diversifying their sound by adding pop influences into the mix, this also retains their atmospheric tendencies. The chorus is a career highlight.
    • Living Together: One of my favorite openers ever. It's such a straightforward rocker that immediately sets the mood for what's to come. A statement in some sort.

This era brought a music video:

And two fantastic bsides, before the 10 year anniversary rerelease, this one being my favorite:

soratami, aux, fatyoshi and 3 others like this.
  6. Sing The Sorrow is straight up a classic. Not that I'm not fond of the rawer and punkier albums they had made prior, but the sudden jump in quality still impresses me. When I got into the band, I spent the following summer, as a lead up to Crash Love's release, reading up about the previous eras and the ARG's they had created. Strangely, I have a hard time finding any info about the latters now. Anyway, it also contains some of the best guitar work ever. Dancing Through Sunday... whew.

I'm looking forward to revisit the other three albums. I always forget I actually saw The All-American Rejects open for Blink-182 in 2012. I'm not sure I had heard their discography yet, so I only recognized their few hits.

7. Even though I wasn't sure if they really fit the theme or genre, if you think of "Emo" like a drug, The All-American Rejects were definitely the gateway drug for me. Which is why I wanted to include them. This band and another song I submitted were like my introduction to the genre, which eventually led me to seek out "harder" stuff.

Fav tracks:

Not on the album but another good one:

aux, fatyoshi, Crisp X and 2 others like this.
  8. Some amazing choices here, gang! Almost Here and Move Along would definitely be in my top 10 if we'd been given an extra five spots to fill (although glad we kept it to 5... the rabbit hole I would have fallen down!)

I need to spend more time with Circa - I feel like that could be my afternoon's listening sorted. I remember enjoying them a lot at the time, especially as an extension of the work Anthony did with Saosin (one of my fave bands). I can't recall any of their tracks off the top of my head, though!

9. Also my favourite The Academy Is... songs other than Slow Down:

fatyoshi and Crisp X like this.
  10. I don't intend to listen to it (at least not now) but have this anyways.

edit: never mind, I listened. Bad.

livefrommelbs and Crisp X like this.
  11. The next set then?

---

[​IMG]
    Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness (2005)

Can't speak about this one much other than it being another concept album in the bonus section and Welcome Home is pretty nice. Let's see what @Ironheade had to say:

[​IMG]
    Cute is What We Aim For - Rotation (2008)
    Chosen by: @DJHazey

I've always been more of a fan of the debut when I was into Cute is What We Aim For. Rotation has Safe Ride, the hidden track, and Time though which all slay.

Our voter, @DJHazey kept it brief by sharing that he prefers this to their debut.We can work with that! Onto the next entry.

[​IMG]
    Emery - The Question (2005)

I've never listened to Emery once in my life so I've got nothing sorry.

@Petit nain des Îles comes through with some commentary, thankfully:

[​IMG]
    Fall Out Boy - From Under the Cork Tree (2005)

Yet another I expected to see more votes for. This seems to be something of a fan favorite and the least polarizing of their more emo leaning material. It's not my personal fave (more on that later though perhaps xx) but it has some of my absolute favorite songs from the band. Dark Alley, Sophomore Slump, and Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner are incredible.

@slaybellz feel free to share any stories/comments/faves.

[​IMG]
    Flyleaf - Memento Mori (2009)

Another one I haven't heard. I'm such a flop host dddddd.

@DJHazey had the following to say:

There's a lot of underrated follow up albums in the scene that came after breakout hits/albums. Maybe I can swing a bonus post on that, stay tuned.

[​IMG]
    From Autumn to Ashes - The Fiction We Live (2003)

You guessed it. I once again have no experience with it.

Take it away, @DJHazey

---

And with that, I'm gonna end this chunk of albums. I should be able to wrap the albums up in two more chunks (the next will come either later tonight, or again tomorrow) and then we can move onto the tracks.

I'll also be making spotify playlists of the results that I can share in here if anyone is interested in branching out/trying new shit.

soratami, berserkboi, Crisp X and 4 others like this.
  12. I'm surprised I was the only voter for From Under The Cork Tree too. I'm guessing people voted for Infinity On High instead?

This one's definitely my favourite:

And of course these classics:

Also this one from their debut:

And my favourite Cute Is What We Aim For song:

soratami, berserkboi, Crisp X and 3 others like this.
  13. Absolutely nothing but taste detected.

14. I'm here for this cause i'm not familiar with a lot of these picks.

soratami, Crisp X and fatyoshi like this.
  15. and another...

---

[​IMG]
    From First to Last - From First to Last (2008)

I only know Worlds Away. It's pretty good though.

@Petit nain des Îles had the following to share:

[​IMG]
    Glassjaw - Worship and Tribute (2002)

Another artist I have no experience with, another bonus entry with nothing for me to say.

@Ironheade said:

[​IMG]
    Hoobastank - Hoobastank (2001)

[​IMG]
    The Hotelier - Home, Like Noplace Is There (2014)
    Chosen by: PJ's resident fat yoshi stan

Where to begin... This one is definitely the outlier of my choices. We move away from the "emo" and overall sound of the artists in this rate and actually end up reaching the point where this gets into what the actual Emo genre sounds like in the 2010s. Does it really fit in context of this rate? Perhaps not. Am I including it in my selections anyways? Yes.

Anyways, moving on a bitsy. This is my favorite album of 2014 and one of my faves from the decade overall. Of course I had to choose it. It's one of the heavier albums emotionally in my library but I'm so thankful it exists.

My favorite tracks: Among the Wildflowers, Dendron, Life in Drag

[​IMG]
    Jack's Mannequin - Everything in Transit (2005)
    Chosen by: The Elusive Hot Rock

Can you say Summer? If I ever drown at the bottom of a swimming pool please put this on, it's what I want xx

Another one that is all killer no filler. Have had many an emotional crisis to this when being a messy teen/young adult/adult.

My favorite tracks: Rescued, Bruised, La La Lie

[​IMG]
    Panic! at the Disco - A Fever You Can't Sweat Out (2005)

Yet another surprising single voter submission. I've really soured on this band over the years but this one still slays. The baroque pop leanings, the word salad lyricism, the misguided vocal hysterics. A Classic. The closing track could've been my 11 if it had a chance of being in this rate.

@slaybellz as always, feel free to share any thoughts/comments/concerns xx

---

Okay, this puts us in a good spot to do one more elimination post for the single voter albums. I'll do that and the two pointers tomorrow.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    soratami, aux, Sprockrooster and 4 others like this.
  16. The taste in display! Here's my FYC regarding Emery. This is the album in question, which was preceded by the single Studying Politics:

Other favorites across their discography:

soratami, aux, Sprockrooster and 2 others like this.
  17. What I loved about Panic! At The Disco was the electronic elements they added into their sound which, someone correct me if i'm wrong, other bands in the scene hadn't really started doing yet.

Fav songs:

And of course:

soratami, aux, fatyoshi and 1 other person like this.
  18. Jack's Mannequin is an interesting pick, I never really considered them "emo", but in hindsight I absolutely remember listening to them when I was at my most angsty and emotional. Like their music was crying into your pillow at night type of music.

Fav tracks:

Hilarie Burton being in this video and them doing a cameo on One Tree Hill was...good times.

sexercise, soratami, aux and 3 others like this.
  19. Everything In Transit is an all-time fave - and I agree, I definitely consider part of this scene. Especially considering Andrew's involvement in SoCo.

The Mixed Tape, I'm Ready and Dark Blue have always been the ones for me.

Crisp X, slaybellz and fatyoshi like this.
  20. Just commenting on the picks as they're revealed:
    • Coheed and Cambria are great, even though I still haven't listened to their latest album yet. I was so pleased to hear Rina Sawayama's album because Dynasty reminds me so much of Welcome Home.
    • That Thrice mention killed me. Vheissu was one of my initial picks, but I figured it didn't fit the theme's rate that much, and I didn't feel safe putting such a diverse and ambitious album into that box.
    • The rate has actually made me do a Fall Out Boy discography run. Coincidentally, that album turned 15 earlier this week. To me it's like a reminder of the old fashioned way music was promoted worldwide. What I mean is the band only gained traction in France with the re-release. Suddenly, I was bopping to Dance, Dance while playing the newly released Animal Crossing: Wild World (edit: got the name wrong). Years later, my favorite songs are Our Lawyer..., XO, and I've Slept With Someone. I also have to mention the My Chemical Romance-y bside Snitches And Talkers Get Stitches And Walkers. I have many more memories with Infinity On High though. Fans of the album should also check out The Almost's Southern Weather, as the guitar work is similar. If I don't forget about it, I'll bring up that album again later on.
    • From Autumn To Ashes are one of the bands that slipped under my radar at the time. I only got into their albums in 2018, and found myself prefering their latter work.
    • Glassjaw are legendary. An entire page could be reserved just to show my love for this groundbreaking band.
    • Hoobastank are one of those bands that always had strong singles but very inconsistent albums to me. I should revisit their discography for nostalgia's sake.
    • The Hotelier being picked hits all the smug 16 year old me spots, spending my days arguing with people about the distinction between true and mainstream emo, and spinning You Blew It!, Kidcrash, Loma Prieta, and Touché Amoré. It's not a sound I particularly seek out anymore, but just going back on Youtube to listen to my favorite song gave me nostalgia for the emo revival era.

This rate is making me think of so many other acts I could've picked. I think I'm going to make a playlist with forgotten or more obscure bands that come to mind as the results go on, for those who are curious but also for me... as my memory tends to block out my scene days.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.