The 1975 - Being Funny In A Foreign Language | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum

The 1975 - Being Funny In A Foreign Language

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by aux, Jun 1, 2022.

1. I think I disagree with just about every production choice made here.

2. The new song is giving this:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
  3. What is this?!

4. Why does it sound like it’s been ripped from an old cassette?
    I don’t like this one bit.

5. Maybe I’m just drunk but I kinda love this? ddd

Sam likes this.
  6. It's so weird and unexpected that I.. sort of like it?

aux, Crisp X and jordxn like this.
  7. I know Jack has a sound, but this is very... The World's Most Self-Indulgent Bleachers Song.

But I kinda like it? The structure is so jarring. The chorus doesn't really hit but everything else is good.

Diet Pop!, aux, happiestgirl and 3 others like this.
  8. This is such an odd disaster. I can't quite figure out what's going on, but none of it is good.

j267 likes this.
  9. I'm a sucker for strings so I love this dd. It's very Bleachers, down to the way Matty is singing.

Diet Pop!, Heartthrob and lushLuck like this.
  10. How many distinct, unique acts is Jack going to take and iron out everything interesting about them?

11. At this point Jack Antonoff is just the music industry. He's either making people sing Bleacher's covers or giving them the unseasoned songs. This is stuck in-between both of these.

The song leans into The 1975's more acoustic tendencies, but it really sounds stripped down and... boring.

GRMusic and lushLuck like this.
  12. Yeah Jack touching this project at all is concerning to me. They have their own producer and he's brilliant. Why outsource to someone who's on such an uninteresting streak in his work?

slaybellz and j267 like this.
  13. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Not another thread that's going to centre on Jack bashing....

This is a dud though.

lushLuck likes this.
  14. From Apple Music:

As someone who didn't love their last album and felt like it was overall (bar a few songs) pretty self-indulgent, almost like they backed themselves into a wall of a certain side of their sound, I do love seeing this. It definitely did feel like they took that side of their sound to the limit, so it's good to see them kinda hitting reset and trying something different.

That said, as much as I love Jack/Bleachers, I do hope the rest of the album is a little less straight up Bleachers and has a little more of their own zest in it. Give me another Sex or Robbers.

Crisp X likes this.
  15. Their first singles seem to have a pattern of being jarring, confusing and weird, but usually make sense in the context of the album so I’m willing to see how this plays out.

Diet Pop!, j267 and jordxn like this.
  16. Screeching at this straight up Bleachers cosplay. I feel like I'm being Punk'd.

lushLuck likes this.
  17. I… love it so much?

jordxn likes this.
  18. I actually really like this and am surprised by this new route they take. At the start it’s really giving me Eleanor Rigby energy but eventually this sounds like a Modern Vampires of the City cut which is honestly one of the best indie rock albums of all time, so that’s a big compliment. Been disappointed by Jack’s work for quite some time but this is so interesting, I hope he doesn’t fuck up the rest.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.