The 1975 - Being Funny In A Foreign Language | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

The 1975 - Being Funny In A Foreign Language

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by aux, Jun 1, 2022.

1. Another 11/10 from them. My hopes for the album have now grown much higher.

2. Yeah after the first single being an absolute dud these last two songs are great so I’m less worried cause let’s be real the last album was not it at all.

3. The lyrics in the bridge are questionable (is this about Twigs?) but this is as good as anything they've done.

Tracy Jacks, aux and lushLuck like this.
  4. aux

aux

I've seen them live every tour since their second album - with that one O2 show being my first standing gig ever - so I'm tempted to get tickets for this. Their Reading set was brilliant, at least the setlist was. I'll see what the tickets cost and then decide.

On an interesting note, I heard recently that they were eyeing a certain venue in London for a lil' residency. I was under the impression that their tour was going to be theatres for this tour, but now I'm inclined to say that the residency might be for the 'era' shows they've been talking about doing for ages. It would make sense, since Matty was saying just yesterday that after this album they're looking at dropping a demos collection.

poshbabyyy and Crisp X like this.
  5. I really want to see them live again. I saw them in 2014 and they were fantastic, then again in 2016 and I loved the evolved/upgraded stage but Matty was....very clearly in a bad place with his substance abuse issues. All the videos I've seen in recent years look great.

6. The Reading set was fantastic. 'Happiness' in particular popped off with the Gen Z crowd like it had been a hit for years already.

I've not been to any of their tours yet but think I'll be snatching to this one.

7. I love how unabashedly pop these two songs are. Happiness was already getting listened to a lot and I can’t see this being any different.

I’m really loving the positive late 90s/early 00s sound of both, this new one feels very BBMak actually.

Diet Pop! and lushLuck like this.
  8. I really like this last single and "Part of The Band" really grew on me since it came out, the new video also is delightful

9. Also, I'm kind of obsessed with the completely random Phoebe Bridgers cameo in the video.

poshbabyyy, Crisp X and lushLuck like this.
  10. I ordered the vinyl, don’t make me regret it boys!

11. This is exactly what I wanted from them.

12. Seriously does this song have crack in it? I can’t stop listening. So catchy, and that swirly synth in the prechorus gives me read of Fleetwood Mac’s Everywhere.

I like how with this song, it’s still very much their quintessential sound but there’s a little dash of Jack’s almost somewhat rawer/old fashioned flare.

Wishlight, poshbabyyy and lushLuck like this.
  13. Girl that's Teenage Dream.

ohaimanabu likes this.
  14. Yeah it feels almost the most 'a 1975 basic bop!' song they've ever made but I adore this. The first two singles were nice but this is obviously the most boppable. I love how eclectic their records always are appreicate a mix of bops, slowies and experimental moments of whatever, but with the bops I need them to HIT and I'm In Love With You definitely does.

15. I made this playlist and it’s back to back bops from beginning to end and now I'm in a 1975 hole:

The 1975 (Debut Version)
    The City
    Happiness
    If You're Too Shy (Let Me Know) [Edit]
    Give Yourself a Try
    Sex
    She's American
    Heart Out
    Somebody Else (ugh, this sounds even better today as it did in 2016)
    It's Not Living (If It's Not With You)
    She's Way Out
    Milk
    Love It If We Made It
    Me & You Together Song
    The Sound
    TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME
    I'm In Love With You
    Settle Down
    This Must Be a Dream
    Pressure
    Medicine
    I Always Wanna Die (Sometimes)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
    Wishlight, poshbabyyy, 2014 and 7 others like this.
  16. Whatever they put in I'm In Love With You has me hooked. I cannot stop listening.

17. Well I just purchased a ticket to see them in Manchester. I’ve never seen them live so I’m high-key hyped!

Lapras, poshbabyyy and lushLuck like this.
  18. I've just got a ticket for Leeds. I saw them in Feb 2020 and had a great time so I'm looking forward to seeing them again.

lushLuck likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.