The 1975 - Notes On A Consistent Delay (4th Album) | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum

The 1975 - Notes On A Consistent Delay (4th Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by aux, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Give me more sad robot bops along the lines of 'I Like America and America Likes Me' and I'll be happy.

2. aux

aux

The album is up for pre-order on iTunes, it comes out on the 21st of February 2020. The track they just released is Track 1, the track after that is called People and it’s showing the track time, so I’m guessing that’ll be the actual single and this is just a buzz track.

lushLuck likes this.
  3. 2014

2014 Staff Member

February?????????!!!!!!

4. Honestly what’s the point in announcing the album right now if it doesn’t come out for another 6 months

5. That froot looks familiar

6. Surely the February release is so they can realistically get a shot at the Glastonbury headline slot/be viable for the festival season generally next summer?

Dropping it this month with no live shows to support it always seemed a bit pointless, particularly if there's actual bops on there.

7. Meanwhile, A Brief Inquiry just got a Mercury nom (and It's Not Living got a £20 nom!)

2014 and aux like this.
  8. I imagine this is the label's decision wanting to get a bit more out of A Brief Inquiry, but February, yeah that's almost a year after originally stated.

9. The email they sent to their mailing list seems to be counting down to Friday 23rd August? This is the same day they begin to headline Reading & Leeds Festival (and Matty always said it was due out before that headline slot).

10. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

Okay, wait at this new track actually being about something urgent and important that people actually do need to be enlightened about. I'm wondering if the climate crisis might be the overarching theme of this album, which would already make it better than A Brief Inquiry which was absolutely rotten at its core with its pretentious and judgemental "what if phones but too much" motif.

Andy French likes this.
  11. RJF

RJF

I kind of agree but are international touring artists really in any kind of position to be finger wagging at the general population? Jet fuel might not melt steel beams but it’s melting the atmosphere and I guarantee “Matty” has been burning a lot more than the rest of us.

I realise I’m being a bit of a pedant, but their delivery of all their messages is always so obnoxiously self-righteous and borderline condescending as if they’re the first ones to figure everything out. Greta Thunberg doing spoken word for the new 1975 album is peak 2019 nonsense.

12. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

I mean, I'm not denying that they're still pretentious and insincere as fuck. But by default, an album about an issue that actually matters and needs to be spread would be an improvement on one that...basically just whines about problems everyone's already aware of, if they're even problems at all.

lushLuck and slaybellz like this.
  13. aux

aux

Yeah, the countdown is to the lead single and probably the physical pre-orders of the album.

14. LMX

LMX

Cute message, but an instant skip with 0 replay value. More bops about sex and heroin please.

15. When they first announced this double album Matty originally said the first single was coming in May and the album would be released on Reading Festival weekend. Seems like they were a bit ambitious.

aux likes this.
  16. Imagine clicking "Buy" on iTunes thinking there might be a song within those 5 minutes. Agreed it's a nice message, but there's no replay value.

lushLuck likes this.
  17. When I saw them in January, Matty promised a new album “in the next few months” so we immediately booked tickets to see them again in August thinking they’d have a new album and show by then. Either they were too ambitious with those timescales or we massively bought into the hype machine and marketing sham.

slaybellz likes this.
  18. aux

aux

I think they were too ambitious. That seems to be their biggest problem. Originally, A Brief Enquiry Into Online Relationships was meant to be an EP titled What A Shame, then that became a full album which obviously halted the release of this new one.

Runawaywithme and slaybellz like this.
  19. Why did "Matty" send me

20. Not this snatching the top spot on New Music Friday...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.