The 1998 R&B Albums Rate - #9: Another #1 single departs | Page 5 | The Popjustice Forum

The 1998 R&B Albums Rate - #9: Another #1 single departs

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by londonrain, Mar 11, 2018.

?

Which of these artists' followups do you like the most?

1. Brandy - Full Moon

2. Monica - After The Storm

3. Lauryn Hill - MTV Unplugged No. 2.0

4. Whitney Houston - Just Whitney...

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. I didn’t know that! That explains a lot.

Monica has just never been popular in the UK, as far as I can tell. Her first album produced a few top 40 singles but didn’t chart, whereas it was much bigger in the US.

2. What's also interesting is that none of the 4 artists promoted much in Europe - I think the favourite GIF of @londonrain was the first time I knew that Monica had performed on TOTP...

I don't remember ever seeing Lauryn or Brandy on UK television during these campaigns (though I guess they didn't need to, Radio One was doing all the work for them!)

Whitney had a few high-profile gigs (stealing the show at the BRITs being the highlight) but was of course never interviewed for obvious reasons (with hindsight)...

It must have been weird for Monica - in the USA they were pretty evenly matched (together with Aaliyah) as teen-stars, yet over here most people probably knew her as "the other one on The Boy Is Mine"...

3. To add, I was initially terrified by this rate (it is essential that I always give one song a 1 to make the scale fair and this seemed impossible)

Then I noticed some of those terrible ballads on Brandy and Whitney's albums that I had completely erased from my memory (and my versions of those albums).

God bless the digital age.

4. One final thing before I go...

Pop Confession Time

Upon first purchasing The Boy Is Mine, I never knew that Misty Blue was a cover (the original was massive in the UK too, embarrassingly!!!) and as a result I prefer Monica's version to that and also to Mary J's version.

Thought I'd get that out there before everyone tanks it with their scores...

londonrain and berserkboi like this.
  5. That gif isn't from Monica's TOTP performance:

it's from some random MTV performance (which I've never actually seen so if someone could link it that would be great). Based on her hairstyle in the performance I suspect it's probably from 2001 or slightly later, when she was promoting Just Another Girl. She has the same hairstyle here:

There's a live video of Monica and Mary performing it together!

I didn't realise it was a cover when I bought the album either. (Mind you, I also didn't know that Whitney's I Was Made To Love Him was a Stevie Wonder cover when I first bought My Love Is Your Love.)

6. Also, I'm shook at there finally being a voter who voted for an album that wasn't Brandy's Full Moon in the thread poll.

We now have 21 votes for Full Moon and 1 vote for Just Whitney...

[​IMG]

7. I mean, I’m not surprised that Full Moon is winning the albums poll by almost 100% (rightfully so), but I am kinda sad that no love is being show to After the Storm whatsoever.

In the case of the other two, Lauryn never had a proper follow up, and My Love is Your Love was Whitney’s last great album.

vague and londonrain like this.
  8. True on all counts.

After The Storm is clearly the second best album of the four. It’s a solid album but Full Moon is just so good.

vague and Angeleyes like this.
  9. [​IMG]

10. Oh wait, I didn't actually read the question properly, I thought it was about these albums, not the follow-ups. I'll go with Brandy as well after all...

ohnostalgia, vague, GimmeWork and 7 others like this.
  11. Hahaha. I did wonder who had chosen Just Whitney, of all things, over Full Moon...

Robsolete, Filippa, soratami and 2 others like this.
  12. Ray

Ray

The Brandy album is sooooOOOOOoOooOoo good. If not for the last tracks it would probably end up with 9+ average from me.

vague, Robsolete, Angeleyes and 2 others like this.
  13. It's definitely one of her best. It was in the running for my personal all-time top ten albums list I compiled when @DJHazey ran his AlbumJustice rate. I'm surprised that nobody picked it (or, for that matter, My Love Is Your Love).

vague, Angeleyes, berserkboi and 2 others like this.
  14. @londonrain plying high scores from me by PMing me links to every song that has a dance/club remix:

[​IMG]

15. Still salty no one else picked Full Moon!

Sprockrooster and londonrain like this.
  16. Also shook @ the "Inside" video no longer being blocked in the US!

...only to find out it's actually a rather boring video.

londonrain likes this.
  17. Has anyone ever made it through MTV Unplugged 2.0 in its entirety? In a single sitting?

londonrain likes this.
  18. In terms of the follow up albums, it's:

Full Moon
    After the Storm
    Just Whitney
    Unlistenable

19. This is the correct order. I approve.

20. It’s a Diane Warren ballad. You were expecting The Boy Is Mine levels of sass?

vague, Robsolete, Angeleyes and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.