The 2006 Number One Singles Rate (The Countdown)

16m0r4n.jpg

Welcome to the 2006 Number Ones Rate!

With average number one sales of around 30,000, 2006 saw the lowest ever number one sales, when No Tomorrow sold just 17,694. At the other end of the scale, Leona Lewis, fresh from her crowning as the third X Factor champion, sold over half a million copies of A Moment Like This in its first week.

For the first time in the chart's history, songs could enter on downloads only, albeit only in the week preceding a physical release, and two week's after it's deletion. Girls Aloud became the first British act to enter the top 10 without a physical, while Crazy by Gnarls Barkley earned the distinction of being the first "download-only" number one. Two bastions of British pop music came to an end in the same year, with Top Of The Pops and Smash Hits magazine both ceasing regular production, save for the occasional "special editions".

25 singles topped the chart over the course of the year. As with Blob's 2007 rate, McFly were akwkard and had a double A-side number one, so both songs will be included separately. So, the 26 songs competing are:

"That's My Goal" — Shayne Ward
"When the Sun Goes Down" — Arctic Monkeys
"Nasty Girl" — The Notorious B.I.G. (featuring Diddy, Nelly, Jagged Edge, and Avery Storm)
"Thunder In My Heart Again" — Meck and Leo Sayer
"Sorry" — Madonna
"It's Chico Time" — Chico
"No Tomorrow" — Orson
"So Sick" — Ne-Yo
"Crazy" — Gnarls Barkley
"I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker" — Sandi Thom
"Maneater" — Nelly Furtado
"Smile" — Lily Allen
"Please, Please" — McFly
"Don't Stop Me Now" — McFly
"Hips Don't Lie" — Shakira (featuring Wyclef Jean)
"Déjà Vu" — Beyoncé Knowles (featuring Jay-Z)
"SexyBack" — Justin Timberlake
"I Don't Feel Like Dancin'" — Scissor Sisters
"America" — Razorlight
"Welcome to the Black Parade" – My Chemical Romance
"Star Girl" – McFly
"Put Your Hands Up For Detroit" – Fedde Le Grand
"The Rose" – Westlife
"Smack That" – Akon (featuring Eminem)
"Patience" – Take That
"A Moment Like This" – Leona Lewis

As usual, voting takes place via PM, and is out of 10 for each song, with half marks welcome. The deadline for voting is midnight (GMT) on Saturday 12th of November. Good luck!

Re: The 2006 Number One Singles Rate (Voting OPEN!)

Nice graphic, citoig! There's a lot of landfill indie and general trash, but some definite tunes in amongst the bunch.

I'll be giving My Chemical Romance and Orson a 10, and I have to insist that others do the same.

2007, 2008 and 2009 were better.

A lot of trash there and a couple of great songs. I wonder who will finish last, can see at least 4 contenders there!

2006 - not a vintage year for number 1s. Jeez.

Ah I dunno, there's a nice variety there. Though, at this point I've visited Chico's wikipedia page far too many times in my life. Bar like four of them, I actually kinda like all of them.

jinzo said:
I'll be giving My Chemical Romance and Orson a 10, and I have to insist that others do the same.

This is voting I can get behind!

What a load of rubbish, if Maneater doesn't win, it'll be a miscarriage of Popjustice.

he/him

I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker and It's Chico Time for the win.

Just submitted my votes. Take That, Scissor Sisters and Nelly Furtado to win.

G

graffiti my soul

Just voted. Smile to win, I Don't Feel Like Dancin' to fall on its shitty head.

Just voted too, 2006 is one of my best years in pop music.

I can see about 5 or 6 modern "classics" in there. But the rest...oh dear.

Cheers to everyone that's voted so far. There's currently six(!) songs tied for first, hopefully that gets sorted out along the line, it'd make for a pretty strange countdown!

Mvnl

Staff member

citoig said:
Cheers to everyone that's voted so far. There's currently six(!) songs tied for first, hopefully that gets sorted out along the line, it'd make for a pretty strange countdown!

Most tens to break the tie?

That's the plan, but it's only fourteen votes in. I'm sure it'll have changed by the end. It was just a bit of an odd occurrence I thought.

There's normally a run-away winner (or that's what I found, but I suppose it was Rihanna). Quite surprised there's so many tied though! Definitely backing Nelly for this, 'Maneater' is a classic if there ever was one.

graffiti my soul said:
I Don't Feel Like Dancin' to fall on its shitty head.

Many songs in there should fall on their shitty heads, but I Don't Feel Like Dancin' certainly isn't one of them! One of the best songs on that list.

I've always found Maneater slightly overrated, to be honest. It's a nice song and all, but I think there were 4 songs I gave a higher score.

G

graffiti my soul

marie_05 said:
graffiti my soul said:
I Don't Feel Like Dancin' to fall on its shitty head.

Many songs in there should fall on their shitty heads, but I Don't Feel Like Dancin' certainly isn't one of them! One of the best songs on that list.

Haha, I just hate the Scissor Sisters, that voice...and it's such a bland song! Nothing ever happens.

Blob said:
There's normally a run-away winner (or that's what I found, but I suppose it was Rihanna). Quite surprised there's so many tied though! Definitely backing Nelly for this, 'Maneater' is a classic if there ever was one.

Well, there's now one song only slightly ahead of the pack, and of course, it's not one of that group of six. Voting is volatile, to say the least!

Oh God listening to these songs (with very few exceptions) was a scarring experience. Why did I just do that to myself...