The 2008 Singles Rate - THE WINNER!

Re: The 2008 Singles Rate (THE RESULTS) - #16 (NEW)

duffy said:
Highest scores: 10 (x2 - Popjustice's Take That stans out in force, then.)

Ha! Well, I couldn't let the boys down! Who was the other one? Really disappointed that they're out already, but not a huge surprise.

Oh well...my hopes are on the other ten I gave. Girls Aloud for the win!

marie_05 said:
duffy said:

Ha! Well, I couldn't let the boys down! Who was the other one?
Ice Cream Skies. No surprises there!

Re: The 2008 Singles Rate (THE RESULTS) - #15 (NEW)

I thought Greatest Day was so-so at the time - but seeing it performed live as the opener of The Circus tour made it click - it was very atmospheric havnig 60,000 people singing along. Gary looks fit on that cover.

marie_05 said:
duffy said:
marie_05 said:
duffy said:

Ha! Well, I couldn't let the boys down! Who was the other one?
Ice Cream Skies. No surprises there!

Oh, I'm not surprised either, haha!
Haha! I know I'm very biased when it comes to Take That, but I do love that song (especially live). It's far from their best though.

Ice Cream Skies said:
Haha! I know I'm very biased when it comes to Take That, but I do love that song (especially live). It's far from their best though.

Greatest Day is a grower. The first time I heard it, I thought it was awful and I couldn't believe they released such an underwhelming song, but I've really grown to love it. It also brings back the lovely memories of Christmas 2008.
I agree that it's not their best song, though.

Booers said:
Gary looks fit on that cover.

Quoted for truth.

Re: The 2008 Singles Rate (THE RESULTS) - #15 (NEW)

Time for another elimination!

21. The X Factor Finalists 2008 - "Hero" (2.6)
20. Leon Jackson - "When You Believe" (3.26)
19. Kid Rock - "All Summer Long" (3.76)
18. Mint Royale - "Singin' in the Rain" (4.02)
17. Basshunter with DJ Mental Theo's Bazzheadz - "Now You're Gone" (4.36)
16. Kings of Leon - "Sex on Fire" (5.34375)
15. Take That - "Greatest Day" (6.030303)
(I'm really sad that this is out so early....)
14. Dizzee Rascal featuring Calvin Harris and Chrome - "Dance wiv Me"

Dizzee-Rascal-Dance-Wiv-Me-437885.jpg

Score: 6.378788
Highest scores: 10 (x1) / Lowest scores: 2 (x1)

"Dance wiv Me" was the first Dizzee Rascal song to properly break the mainstream, and signified a move away from the grime genre for the artist. Released on his very own label, Dirtee Stank, Dizzee was careful to play down that he was "selling out" by saying he wanted to experiment more with a dance sound. Unfortunately, it's the only dance song that he's managed to do well. It is the first really good song to leave the competition - I gave it 7.5.

Music video (Smoke operator: Aubrey Ghansah)

Re: The 2008 Singles Rate (THE RESULTS) - #14 (NEW)

This could have been my ten, and it thoroughly deserves it! Even if it's just for the use of the song in Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging.

Seriously though a great song that I'm sad to see leave quite early.

G

graffiti my soul

I'm so mixed about this song. I love Calvin Harris and think the song's production is great, but I can't stand Dizzee's voice at all, the first verse is so terrible.

I can't remember what I scored this, but I know I deducted a point each for the following......

1 - Calvin Harris
2 - The fucking awful video
3 - The line "You need to let me get behind your backbone" URGH!!!

21. The X Factor Finalists 2008 - "Hero" (2.6)
20. Leon Jackson - "When You Believe" (3.26)
19. Kid Rock - "All Summer Long" (3.76)
18. Mint Royale - "Singin' in the Rain" (4.02)
17. Basshunter with DJ Mental Theo's Bazzheadz - "Now You're Gone" (4.36)
16. Kings of Leon - "Sex on Fire" (5.34375)
15. Take That - "Greatest Day" (6.030303)
14. Dizzee Rascal featuring Calvin Harris and Chrome - "Dance wiv Me" (6.378788)
13. Madonna featuring Justin Timberlake & Timbaland - "4 Minutes"

Madonna_4_Minutes_Coverart.png

Score: 6.439394
Highest scores: 9 (x5) / Lowest scores: 0 (x1, damn you, Blob!)

The Queen of Pop's 2008 #1 is out! Voted #52 in the 2008 Single Survivor, "4 Minutes" was Madonna's first proper single in 2 years, and was the lead single from her most recent album, Hard Candy (where it is next to the far superior "Give it 2 Me"). The music video is a strange one - Justin and Madge are chased by black triangles which eventually eat them as they kiss (eww, etc.). It is one of her best-selling singles in the US, where it reached 2xPlatinum status, and possibly her biggest UK hit in recent years, where it was the 9th best selling of 2008. Live performances featured Madonna grinding against/generally sexing screens of Justin. Most people scored it well, but clearly not many of you thought of it as outstanding. I gave it 7.5.

Music video
Live promotional performance.

madonnaRUC_450x259.jpg

Re: The 2008 Singles Rate (THE RESULTS!) - #13

I feel it's my fault that it's out so early. But I despise this song! I can't tell you how much I hate it. If Justin had his shirt off on the single cover I would have given it at least a 2 but alas he is fully clothed.

He / Him / His

Unpopular opinion but that's an amazing song the best on Hard Candy.

Everything is great about '4 Minutes' apart from the fact that it has no tune. No tune whatsoever.

It's amazing that a woman who spent a whole decade (The 80's obvs) writing some of the catchiest pop records of all time would release something so utterly devoid of anything vaguely resembling a hook.

I don't hate it. In fact it many ways it's great but I defy anyone to try singing it at karaoke.