The 2018 R&B Legends Rate: #42: Seriously? | Page 16 | The Popjustice Forum

The 2018 R&B Legends Rate: #42: Seriously?

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by londonrain, May 6, 2019.

1. Sorry for the delay in the next reveal... it’s Pride in London today so I’ve been distracted by rainbows!

Out next cut will come tomorrow.

2. I don’t think I gave any super low scores, so let me pray I don’t catch some hands from @londonrain.

3. I think the lowest score I gave was a 5 or 6 but PJ00s has taught me to always expect a dragging from @londonrain.

vague, Music Is Life, evilsin and 2 others like this.

4. And yet neither of you tanked our next cut.

In fact, @ohnostalgia may have some views on this leaving us at #52...

[​IMG]
    52. Deja Vu
    Average: 7.125
    Highest score: 11 x 1 (@ohnostalgia), 10 x 1 (@Music Is Life)
    Lowest score: 5 x 3 (@Maria, @evilsin, @Petty Mayonnaise)
    My score: 8​

The first song to clear the 7+ barrier is also the first 11 to fall, as we lose yet another single by En Vogue - and this time it's Deja Vu, which was released as the first single from Electric Café back in April 2016. This was the first release on the new label En Vogue Records, founded by original members Cindy Herron-Braggs and Terry Ellis (following the end of their time with Pyramid Records, during which they released Emotions and A Thousand Times from An En Vogue Christmas). At this point, En Vogue had returned to the lineup of Cindy, Terry and Rhona following disputes with original member Maxine Jones, who left the group acrimoniously in 2012 on the heels of the other original member, Dawn Robinson, leaving the previous year after a well-received reunion tour.

Rhona Bennett had plenty of experience with the group, having originally joined the group in 2003 ahead of the recording of the group's sixth album, Soul Flower. While En Vogue were starting out in the early 1990s, Rhona was a Mouseketeer on the '90s revival of The Mickey Mouse Club (alongside future 'N Sync members Justin Timberlake JC Chasez, future The Voice contestant Tony Lucca, and songwriter Matt Morris, as well as PJ icons Christina Aguilera and Britney Spears). She then went on to release a debut album under the name Rhona, which was led by this Darkchild-produced bop, which may not have charted anywhere but went on to win round 3 of PJ00s not too long ago:

But back to Deja Vu. In April 2018, Terry Ellis said this about the musical direction of Electric Café:

Deja Vu certainly isn't EDM at all but it does focus on the classic En Vogue harmonies that are the group's strength, while still feeling laid-back and fresh, as the girls sing about how they feel about a new man who feels familiar to them - a sort of I Knew I Loved You but less intense. Barring a single 5 from @Maria the song was doing pretty decently in the rate until this chunk of unexpected scores arrived in quick succession:
    Despite a later 10 by @Music Is Life, Deja Vu struggled to keep up with the other songs in the rate and a last-minute 5 by @Petty Mayonnaise conclusively ended its chances of staying in the top 50. The result is that we have now lost a full third of Electric Café within the first six eliminations, which is... quite something for one of the main albums in this rate.

@abael (7) had some nice things to say: "Vocally they seem relaxed and comfortable in this song, nice chorus as well."

@Trouble in Paradise (8) gives constructive feedback: "She’s a fun little bop until that turn around 3 minutes in which takes the song to a whole other level. I just wish it stayed in that moment instead of returning back to the original melodies. I guess it lines up with the lyrical theme (deja vu!)."

@Remorque (8) has different problems with it: "I'm loving the production on this one and Cindy sounds lush, it's that kinda non-event of a chorus that let me down. Those harmonies during that middle 8 are superb though!"

@lalaclairi_ (9) has quite an unexpected reference: "This reminds me of Wii music somehow - I mean that in a good way."

We didn't get any commentary from our low scorers or from our 11-giver, so let's end with @Music Is Life (10) who stans: "Love the intro and the production in general with those drums. The melodies are great and WAIT at that middle-8. Ugh love this."

5. If it makes you feel any better, this is still slightly better than the time @soratami ran an 83-song rate and @Sprockrooster and I lost our 11s at #82 and #79 respectively.

[​IMG]

6. i guess some people don’t enjoy harmonies.

7. I am all for Gabrielle, Macy and Marsha escaping the bottom cuts but not at the cost of this En Vogue onslaught.

8. I thought it was average so 5 seemed an appropriate score.

londonrain likes this.
  9. Although it isn't as scandalous as Have A Seat, Déjà Vu deserved better, as did En Vogue.

10. Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  11. [​IMG]

13. What the actual fuck people? They don't deserve this!
    I'm sorry @ohnostalgia.

14. I gave this a 5.5 - pretty basic.
    At least the write-up has put me on to Rhona's solo music, thanks @londonrain.

londonrain likes this.
  15. I wouldn’t speak so lightly to your ally in the Merna thread.

16. She also released this solo single a couple of months before Deja Vu:

It was supposed to be the lead single from an EP called R&B Gumbo, which presumably got abandoned in favour of Electric Café, since there’s no sign of the EP three years later.

soratami, Remorque, Oleander and 3 others like this.
  17. I'm surprised you're still bothering with that thread, given your opinion of Marina at the moment...

Remorque, Oleander, vague and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.