The 2018 R&B Legends Rate: #42: Seriously? | Page 17 | The Popjustice Forum

The 2018 R&B Legends Rate: #42: Seriously?

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by londonrain, May 6, 2019.

1. Now for the last song to miss the top 50.

The main reason this one is leaving us is because of the lack of 10s.

In fact, this song has one of the smallest differences between the highest and lowest scores, which suggests that all of you had a fairly uniform opinion of it.

Are you ready?

[​IMG]
    51. Ready For Whatever
    Average: 7.2
    Highest score: 9 x 3 (@lalaclairi_, @Petty Mayonnaise, @Music Is Life)
    Lowest score: 5 x 2 (@Trouble in Paradise, @abael)
    My score: 6​

We lose yet another lead single, and this time it's the lead from T.K.O. (The Knock Out), which has already suffered a couple of cuts. Mya describes herself as the "aggressor" on this track, where she tells her man that she's "ready for whatever" and wants to know what he wants to do.

(Does anyone else find it weird that they talk so much about how she looks the same as she did in 1998?)

The single was released in September 2017, nine years after Mya first set up her own label, Planet 9, and started releasing all her music through it. The video was released on Mya's 38th birthday (October 10, 2017) and features R&B singer Kevin McCall (who co-wrote the song) as Mya's love interest. The video works well with the slinky slow jam sound of the song, which feels very much like the kind of thing Ariana might appropriate borrow. I can totally imagine her recreating this.

Mya followed this up with a remix in November 2017 entitled Ready, Part II (Bedroom Mix), which heavily samples R. Kelly's 1993 song Seems Like You're Ready.

(Even ignoring for a moment how odd it is to sample an R. Kelly song in this day and age, this version is not even as good as the original.)

@Trouble in Paradise will be happy with this elimination: "I feel like a lot of Mya commentary could be the same but it boils down to just an absolute facelessness to all of the songs. There’s nothing wrong with this song, but compared to the heights some of the other artists are reaching in this rate, I can’t help but want it to tank out early."

@abael (5) isn't convinced either: "Too safe, too boring. Could be a song by anyone."

@Music Is Life (9) enjoys it but it's just not a 10: "This is a bit of a bop. I like the production and the melody, and her voice is great. The lyrics are nice enough. This just isn’t totally clicking with me."

Poor Mya.

Let's hear her talk some more about the album instead.

2. That means this is your top 50:

En Vogue - Electric Café (8/12)
    1. Blue Skies
    2. Deja Vu
    3. Rocket
    4. Reach 4 Me
    5. Electric Café
    6. Life
    7. Love The Way
    8. Oceans Deep
    9. Have A Seat
    10. I’m Good

11. So Serious
    12. Luv My Thangz

Mariah Carey - Caution (11/11)
    1. GTFO
    2. With You
    3. Caution
    4. A No No
    5. The Distance
    6. Giving Me Life
    7. One Mo' Gen
    8. 8th Grade
    9. Stay Long Love You
    10. Portrait
    11. Runway

Toni Braxton - Sex & Cigarettes (9/9)
    1. Deadwood
    2. Sex & Cigarettes
    3. Long As I Live
    4. FOH
    5. Sorry
    6. My Heart
    7. Coping
    8. Missin'
    9. Forgiven

Gabrielle - Under My Skin (5/5)
    Under My Skin
    Thank You
    Show Me
    Every Step
    Shine

Macy Gray - Ruby (5/5)
    Buddha
    Over You
    White Man
    Sugar Daddy
    Jealousy

Marsha Ambrosius - Nyla (5/5)
    Flood
    Luh Ya
    Old Times
    Never Be The Same Again
    Scorn

Mya - T.K.O. (The Knock Out) (2/5)
    Ready For Whatever
    Damage
    You Got Me
    With You

Down

Tamia - Passion Like Fire (5/5)
    Leave It Smokin'
    It's Yours
    Today I Do
    When The Sun Comes Up
    Deeper​

Things have gone well for everybody except En Vogue and Mya, with literally every other artist surviving unscathed into the top 50. I'm going to take it as a compliment that the @londonrain-chosen album cuts in the extras section have outlasted so many singles from En Vogue and Mya... but how much longer can they hang on? And how long do we have before Toni and Mariah start to lose tracks?

3. Mariah & Toni deserve to be the top 20, honestly.
    Wouldn't mind if Tamia snuck a song or two in there though.

Glad Damage remains from Mya's set at least.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  4. Poor Mya can't catch a break.

5. Well, the next song to leave isn’t one of hers, so there’s that...

6. Ready For Whatever is a goddamn vibe y'all.

soratami, Remorque, Oleander and 4 others like this.
  7. Glad that So Serious survived despite "the final part of the album onslaught" of Deja Vu. It needs to go top 10 to be honest but at this point it is probably a victorious placement if it is not in the bottom 10.

soratami and londonrain like this.
  8. If it makes you feel better, the next elimination isn’t an En Vogue track either.

So it’s clearly by an artist who has not lost a track so far...

soratami, Remorque, Oleander and 3 others like this.
  9. Macy I think. Kind of surprised she managed to escape it for now.

vague and londonrain like this.
  10. Wow, I'm not even huge on Mya's post-major label material, but she really suffered from my absence in this rate.

Remorque, vague and londonrain like this.
  11. Mya got what she deserved.

12. Seaux...

While With You is without a doubt one of the most unremarkable things in this rate featuring one of the worst voices in MyGuyMars' "performance" in this here rate... I can't help but feel sad Ready for Whatever's out. I vibe to it every time I hear it and although it's nowhere near a 10, it's also nowhere near the sheer 6's, 6.5's and 7's still left on display...

Y'all did Mya so wrong.
    [​IMG]

And yet...

That's not even the biggest loss we've experienced so far.

We've really lost Déjà Vu before we've even reached the top 50?
    Y'all have actually listened to that middle 8, yes?
    [​IMG]

13. She's safe... for now.

Okay, fine, here's one of your 7s, then.

[​IMG]
    50. Thank You
    Average: 7.2875
    Highest score: 10 x 1 (@Trouble in Paradise)
    Lowest score: 4 x 1 (@RainOnFire)
    My score: 9.5
    @RainOnFire strikes again, handing out a 4, which is the third-lowest score left in this rate (only two songs left in the rate have received a score lower than a 4, and one of those is only a 3.75).

Louise Gabrielle Bobb is probably best known for her two UK #1 singles: her 1993 debut single, Dreams, and her Bob Dylan-sampling 2000 hit Rise, although with 16 consecutive UK top 30 hits (10 of which hit the UK top 10) she's hardly a flash-in-the-pan artist.

She's had one of the longest careers of the artists in this rate, with Dreams having hit its 26th anniversary last month, and she's turned her ptosis (drooping eyelid) into a trademark by making covering her right eye into an art form. Other celebrities with ptosis include Thom Yorke, Forest Whitaker, Paris Hilton (until about 2007) and Tegan Quin of Tegan & Sara:

Under My Skin
    marks Gabrielle's first new material since the new tracks on her 2013 greatest-hits set, and her first full studio album since 2007's Always, which contained this enormous bop that should have been a single:

Thank You was released in June 2018 as the second single from Under My Skin, although no video was filmed. All five singles from the album are included in this rate, and to be honest I'm a bit surprised that this one is the first to go - it's a nice straightforward song to a lover who has been a comfort and a support, and comes across as far more mature and sincere than, say, Mya's With You. I'll concede it isn't exactly groundbreaking but it does what it does very well.

@abael (8) is succinct in both praise and criticism: "Polished, enjoyable, but unremarkable."

@Remorque (7) also thinks it's enjoyable, but is a bit harsher with his score and commentary: "This is Gabrielle on autopilot and while that's not a bad thing per se, I do feel like I've heard this from her already and it wouldn't sound out of place on Rise, for example. It's enjoyable, but it breezes by as quickly as it started."

@Music Is Life (9.5) disagrees: "LOVE this, it’s such a feel good song. I can’t stop bopping. Love the production and the backing vocals, and her voice brings it all together."

Let's end with @Trouble in Paradise (10) who embraces the nostalgia: "I swear this song is sampling a old school hit and I just can’t place it or track it down (I’ve googled!) Her vocals are masterful, that little “you-ou-ou’s” and the pocket she finds herself in the chorus are so good! The song has such a happy energy to it without feeling overly sentimental or cheesy (I also have a high tolerance for cheese haha)"

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  14. If you were going for Gabby, there were definitely some worse songs to choose from than this.

vague and londonrain like this.
  15. I am honestly shook that Macy, Tamia and Marsha are untouched when En Vogue and Gabrielle have lost entries. Though I can't say I am mad about it.

I fully expected it for Mya.

16. Thank yew.

Although that really wasn't the one I was hoping would fall... Thank You's fine, but it's completely unremarkable in the grand scheme of this rate, so I don't really have any real feelings about it going either.

She's a cute girl is all.

And poor Gabrielle... Searching for a gif and nothing coming up except a fuckload of Xena: Warrior Princess and Gabrielle Union being iconique.

soratami, Oleander, vague and 3 others like this.
  17. Yeah, the only few I can find on a cursory Google search are terrible ones like this:

[​IMG]

(Fun fact: I went about 20 years without knowing what the line after "Dreams can come true" is because her diction is so terrible in that song. For the record, it's "Look at me, babe, I'm with you".)

18. I love you.

19. I thought you might appreciate that. Who else would put Tegan in the thread title of an R&B rate?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.