The 90's Billboard #1s Rate: 1990-1994 - AND WE ARE DONE | Page 183 | The Popjustice Forum

The 90's Billboard #1s Rate: 1990-1994 - AND WE ARE DONE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Ironheade, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Opposites Attract is cute and fun, if rather slight. I kind of found that with all of her debut album, just too rinkydink for my tastes when there was so much great R&B/dance/pop around at that time. It does have possibly the second-best tune on Forever Your Girl though, and the single version - while making questionable sense lyrically - is an improvement. Ah for the days of having tracks like this, Love Shack, It Must Have Been Love and Black Velvet all in the UK Top 10.

Ray, londonrain and Ironheade like this.
  2. We got rid of the wrong animal!

Ray, Eric Generic and Ironheade like this.
  3. I hope you're not talking about the cat in Lisa Loeb's Stay video
    [​IMG]

4. [​IMG]

(It's amazing what google search comes up with).

5. [​IMG]

Eric Generic, Ironheade and Ray like this.
  6. I loved Opposites Attract at the time but these days I would never actively want to listen to it in the same way I would with Straight Up, Knocked Out, Forever Your Girl or The Way That You Love Me.

And leave James Corden alone. He's harmless and occasionally funny.

Ironheade likes this.
  7. Actually my favourite parts in Opposites Attract are sung by the cat (or whatever):
    "Just a natural FAAACT!"
    "I like to SMOOOOKE!"

8. [​IMG]

9. Ray

Ray

One or more of those is going to be in top three.

This contest is unfortunately the X Factor/Idol type, where songs with personality get voted out because they are going to rub someone the wrong way. And songs which are pleasantly inoffensive are going to do well.

10. I Love Your Smile is pure sunshine.

...except the line about buying a skirt.

11. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Yeah, it's really annoying when anything with personality gets tanked because it's bound to get a zero from somebody, right?

[​IMG]

Mina, soratami and Ironheade like this.
  12. I legitimately don't get the hatred for the second half of the '90s. It's objectively better than this half.

13. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

The hatred is very
    [​IMG]

14. Yes this is the phrase I was looking for.

15. Save the Best for Last sucks.

My sister has it on a really boring compilation album called Modern Love with fuggin Valerie, Promise Me, Unchained Melody and man she NEVER got bored of playing that tape to death. I was glad when she flooded her car and said tapes all sustained water damage.

Eric Generic likes this.
  16. Ray

Ray

You know I still don't know what/where the list for second part is.

I'm really only here to advertise @Mina's records:

17. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I considered entering one of her songs in PJOPS but, since @Mina has retired, I've lost my chance at the kii of people thinking she submitted it.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  18. Oh god I couldn't bear that song.

Promise me *GASP*
    You'll wait for me *GASP*
    'cos I'll be saving all my love for you

19. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

...aaaaaaaaaand I think we've established that every song, however "pleasant", will be offensive to somebody in this rate.

(Watch as I Love Your Smile gets a zero from @Ironheade due to being too happy or something.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.