The 90's Billboard #1's Rate (1995-1999): #24 - Clinton, Murray, Gates | Page 12 | The Popjustice Forum

The 90's Billboard #1's Rate (1995-1999): #24 - Clinton, Murray, Gates

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Ironheade, Mar 3, 2018.

1. https://pudding.cool/2017/03/music-history/index.html

Thought I'd share this site I discovered yesterday that is basically a moving visual and audio timeline of Hot 100 top five songs from the chart's beginning in 1958 to late 2015. It's addictive to see all of the songs pop in and drop off, and to view these hits among their contemporaries. It started me off at 1997 yesterday and I thought I'd pay attention for a couple of years before I went back to what I was doing, but I ended up sitting through it all the way to the end.

FYI, you can change the year and month you want to start off with at the bottom of the page. Just now I started off in 1988 and paused after The Promise of a New Day dropped from the top spot in late 1991 so that Paula was at the top of the number of weeks at #1 artists chart at 15 weeks.

2. I forgot to add that it's a giant kii when it gets to Taylor Swift's three #1s from the 1989 era.

Remorque, Ironheade and Mina like this.
  3. Wow. We are up to March 1982 on the retrochart and I just watched the decade from March 82 to March 92 and these artists were at number one the most:

Michael Jackson: 23
    Madonna: 20
    Whitney Houston: 16
    Phil Collins: 15
    Paula Abdul: 14
    Mariah Carey: 14
    Paul McCartney: 13
    George Michael: 13 (+8 with Wham!)
    Lionel Richie: 12
    Prince: 12
    Janet Jackson: 11

What a decade!

4. I'm about to submit my scores and I've just had a dramatic meltdown and changed my 11. If I'm this messy pre rate I shudder to think what I'll be like in a few weeks when this gets underway.

londonrain, Ironheade and berserkboi like this.
  5. This is why I should not have spreadsheets. I tinker with my scores CONSTANTLY right up to the deadline...

londonrain and berserkboi like this.
  6. I feel like I might be the sme but trying to avoid it!

londonrain and Ironheade like this.
  7. So I think the main problem with this rate is not going to be doing the writeups, but on coming up with stupid joke thread titles. Seriously, I'm drawing a blank on those completely...

ohnostalgia, soratami, Ray and 5 others like this.
  8. In fairness, the bison titles wrote themselves last time. Maybe you’ll get similar assistance this time...

9. Yes, you could definitely crowd source them/take inspiration from commentary!

I think I might do this rate after all. Though I probably won't be coming for @Empty Shoebox 's low-scorer crown...I've found 3 10s already.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    soratami, Ray, berserkboi and 3 others like this.
  10. I was going to just suggest peppering the titles with 90s fad references, we’ll all understand those..... and then I remembered it’s 2018 and it’s highly likely some of the voters weren’t even alive in the 90s.

[​IMG]

11. How many zeroes though?

londonrain, berserkboi and Mina like this.
  12. [​IMG]

Aren't we all outing ourselves as being at least in our mid-20s by doing this rate though?

13. How many are you giving out?

Empty Shoebox likes this.
  14. I can't remember the number. I buzzed through the list once.
    I think it was fewer than ten.

Mina likes this.
  15. It'll be a race to the bottom, then.

In other news, I realized today that NSYNC didn't sing "I Want It That Way."

Also, poor ASPCA-sponsored queen Sarah McLachlan never did get that hot 100 #1 with any of her '90s classics, did she?

[​IMG]

16. I think the key question is whether you will get a higher average than @DJHazey, again.

DJHazey and Mina like this.
  17. I'm going to predict that in terms of lowest average scores this time around, it'll go:

1) You
    2) Me
    3) @DJHazey

londonrain, Ray, berserkboi and 2 others like this.
  18. You guys have are having illusions of grandeur as far as what role I'll be playing in the 'Low Scores Club' this time around. I'll post my averages average once I've voted and you'll have to find out that way.

Empty Shoebox and Mina like this.
  19. Well,

20. A new contender emerges:

[​IMG]

Remorque, əʊæ, londonrain and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.