The 90's Billboard #1's Rate (1995-1999): We've come to the end of our road. | Page 103 | The Popjustice Forum

The 90's Billboard #1's Rate (1995-1999): We've come to the end of our road.

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Ironheade, Mar 3, 2018.

1. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

For those of you who don’t know this version, it starts at 2:29 here:

A BOP.

2. I mean, it's a bop, but it's not exactly an elimination to get upset about.

3. I don't want to over-dramatise this, but anyone who scored Tubthumping or I Love You Always Forever higher than this is clearly a Russian bot and needs to be destroyed for the greater good (THE GREATER GOOD)

4. I forgot how much I love Alesha Dixon's rapping voice.

5. Sure but there’s a few not-bops left that should have been long gone before this

Old Untouchable Ace likes this.
  6. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I don't know why but I really love her delivery of "...ever since I was a lower-case G / but now I'm a big G". It's ridiculous and amazing at the same time.

7. [​IMG]

I can understand how Tubthumping is polarizing but I Love You Always Forever? Sis.

8. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Yeah, I don't understand where this I Love You Always Forever hate is coming from. Who hurt you?

9. Tubthumping is misunderstood. It's been claimed as a binge-drinking anthem for stupid people, when that entire album was calling out governmental hypocrisy. Shame in a way that they've been compromised to some extent, because it was a great album at the time with some amazing interludes and good songwriting.

I think I gave it a 7, because the verses with that dismal vocal really do some irreparable damage.

10. Also "This Is How We Do It" definitely held on longer than I expected it to as I was starting to wonder when it'd go for about 5-10 places now. Not that I necessarily wanted it to or anything because it was the dance party anthem as I noted in my comments.

11. I despise everything about it. The vocals, the lyrics, the fact that you were never more than five minutes away from hearing it on the radio at any given time.

12. I Love You Always Forever reminds me of being sick (literally). I think I must've heard it once when I was throwing up. I still like it though, even if it makes me nauseous.

13. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Well I wasn’t.

Phonetics Girl and londonrain like this.
  14. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

(This is so sad and yet so familiar.)

15. Hey, I'll turn a guy down as many times as he wants! Life is good, hehe.

16. I was never told to play hard to get or anything like that from my parents, but I sure got it from the culture. I remember when The Rules was a thing, and it was so confusing and alarming to me as a young teenager. Didn't both authors get divorced shortly after they got married? I guess pretending to be something you're not so some schmuck will marry you doesn't lead to long-term happiness, go figure!

Anyway, "If you were from where I'm from" is the one great part of "This Is How We Do It" for me. The rest of it seems really repetitive, but that might just be because I've heard it too many times over the years. I did love it back in 1995.

17. Reading about these "Rules"

[​IMG]

Blond, Phonetics Girl and londonrain like this.
  18. For some reason I always thought This is How We Do It was a song by short-lived boyband MN8 (remember them!??)

londonrain and iheartpoptarts like this.
  19. Of course!

20. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I still don't understand why anyone would basically name a band "Emanate".

It's not the most attractive word.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.