The 90's Billboard #1's Rate (1995-1999): We've come to the end of our road. | Page 109 | The Popjustice Forum

The 90's Billboard #1's Rate (1995-1999): We've come to the end of our road.

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Ironheade, Mar 3, 2018.

1. At least it won't be in the top 35!

2. Could still be - doesn't specify at what point the four begin...

WowWowWowWow likes this.
  3. This cruelty! This shade!! This rudeness!!!

To quote another artist in the countdown

[​IMG]

4. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand an hour later I finally understand the thread title for this elimination. You wiseguy @Ironheade you!!

5. Yeah, don't do this songwriters. It's not big and it's not clever.

You're welcome.

6. Ray

Ray

The problem is that when I look at this top 40 there are ten songs, MAYBE twelve I want to see gone, and the remaining 28 all deserve top 10 placings.

7. Next 10 predictions!

- It's been a pleasant surprise to see Mo Money Mo Problems and California Love get this far, but I think they'll both run out of road soon
    - BopJustice will take down at least one of Truly Madly Deeply and Kiss From A Rose, and more likely both
    - Either Bailamos or Livin' La Vida Loca will go
    - Female eliminations are a lot tougher to predict. Foolish Games is almost certainly toast and I Love You Always Forever probably is too, but beyond that...

I've given up trying to predict what happens to Tubthumping.

berserkboi and WowWowWowWow like this.
  8. Ray

Ray

I have no problems with Biggie Smalls, obviously, but can we please erase the Puff and the Dion first.

Looking forward to 'Tubthumping's inevitable victory!

9. Since we’re almost at a 7 average, I’m wondering if there are some songs that consistently scored 7 or 8 (or 9) on most ballots, that will outlast any songs that might have hit the highest marks from some but poor marks from others...

10. Ray

Ray

In my Pet Shop Boys rate the first song to receive lowest score above five is at #19 out of 99, and I would imagine this rate to be much more divisive due to sheer variety – am I right, @londonrain? (I mean, obviously 'Tubthumping' and lessers like 'Missing' and 'Torn' only received 9.5+ scores, but apart from those.)

11. The fact that Iris got ten 10s and still missed the top 40 is very interesting indeed.

How comfortable are the Mariah fans feeling now?

12. I still have 14 songs I'd like to see in the top 10. Hopefully Ricky and Enrique won't last much longer.

13. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I think the PSB rate is much more divisive than most discography rates, though! Some of you really hate some of their B-sides and album tracks.

6.974 is pretty good for a #41 placing, and in my R&B rate (which is also multi-artist but not cross-genre) that average would have placed it at #54. So far the averages seem pretty consistent with the first half - a 6.974 average would have put it at #43 there (ahead of Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me, which had 6.966).

These are the songs that would have finished just ahead of it in the first half:

42. I Don't Wanna Cry - 6.977
    41. This Used to Be My Playground - 7.034
    40. I've Been Thinking About You - 7.085
    39. Joyride - 7.102
    38. Come Back to Me - 7.131
    37. Romantic - 7.136
    36. Baby-Baby-Baby - 7.182
    35. Praying for Time - 7.199
    34. The Power of Love - 7.205
    33. Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) - 7.233
    32. Breathe Again - 7.358
    31. All the Man That I Need - 7.409​

I fully expect that no song will hit a 10 average and that the 9 mark will be hit quite late on, as with the first part of this rate.

14. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Foolish Games and Truly Madly Deeply need to go.

Hudweiser and WowWowWowWow like this.
  15. All The Man That I Need was done so dirty in Part 1!

berserkboi and londonrain like this.
  16. I low key stan Iris, so I'm sad to see it go.

I don't know if it's unpopular or not but I really want to see Kiss From A Rose out. God, I fucking hate that song.

Blond and Ray like this.
  17. Truly Madly Deeply should not be still here

WowWowWowWow likes this.
  18. Truly Madly Deeply and My All are my lowest scores left, please have them go soon.

Loving that Tubthumping's ascendency has some of y'all in a tizzy.

WowWowWowWow and Ray like this.
  19. Much as I love Darren Hayes' voice, Truly Madly Deeply is like syrup poured on sugar poured on treacle with chocolate shavings and yet more syrup on top.

20. I sort of surprised myself by giving "Iris" that 10. It's one of those songs that I'd never admit to loving (thanks mostly to those melodramatic lyrics), but every time I hear it, I always get a little thrill. And that's after hearing it approximately 1,500 times over the years, so I guess it's got a special something.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.