The 90's Billboard #1's Rate (1995-1999): We've come to the end of our road.

I'd like Jennifer, Backstreet Boys, and Spice Girls to be the next three. And I still have one score that might make me leave the forum forever ddd. It's not that I hate the song in question, I just feel frustrated cause I can't enjoy it and everyone else seems to have no problems with it. Oh well, it'll probably win anyway.

D

Deleted member 26234

And I still have one score that might make me leave the forum forever ddd.

200w.gif

I know this feeling.

Staff member
In a dream world the top 20 should go like this;

Together Again - Janet Jackson
Don't Speak - No Doubt
Believe - Cher
Waterfalls - TLC
Baby One More Time - Britney Spears
No Scrubs - TLC
Fantasy - Mariah Carey
Genie in a Bottle - Christina Aguilera
Doo Wop (That Thing) - Lauryn Hill
Heartbreaker - Mariah Carey feat. Jay-Z
Torn - Natalie Imbruglia
Unpretty - TLC
I Love You Always Forever - Donna Lewis
Missing - Everything But the Girl
Creep - TLC
The Boy is Mine - Brandy and Monica
Wannabe - Spice Girls
I Want It That Way - Backstreet Boys
If You Had My Love - Jennifer Lopez
Un-Break My Heart - Toni Braxton

Pleasantly surprised with Missing doing so well and TLC dominating, also shocked I'm already ok to say bye to Wannabe because of the standard of what's left...

londonrain

Staff member
In a dream world the top 20 should go like this;

Together Again - Janet Jackson
Don't Speak - No Doubt
Believe - Cher
Waterfalls - TLC
Baby One More Time - Britney Spears
No Scrubs - TLC
Fantasy - Mariah Carey
Genie in a Bottle - Christina Aguilera
Doo Wop (That Thing) - Lauryn Hill
Heartbreaker - Mariah Carey feat. Jay-Z
Torn - Natalie Imbruglia
Unpretty - TLC
I Love You Always Forever - Donna Lewis
Missing - Everything But the Girl
Creep - TLC
The Boy is Mine - Brandy and Monica
Wannabe - Spice Girls
I Want It That Way - Backstreet Boys
If You Had My Love - Jennifer Lopez
Un-Break My Heart - Toni Braxton

Pleasantly surprised with Missing doing so well and TLC dominating, also shocked I'm already ok to say bye to Wannabe because of the standard of what's left...
I was almost ready to say that I’d be okay with this order, but then I saw where The Boy Is Mine and Un-break My Heart were.

My ideal top two would be Fantasy and The Boy Is Mine, but since that’s not realistic I’ll settle for them being in the top five alongside some combination of Cher, Britney, TLC (specifically Waterfalls or No Scrubs) and Janet.

We could easily fill this top ten with nothing but 10s from me, though.

D

Deleted member 29256

Guys! I still have all my 10s + my 11!

It's absurd though that Madonna, Celine and Destiny's Child aren't in the top 20 and Toni Braxton is, with that sandwich filling song, yuk. Different story if it was He Wasn't Man Enough, but Un-break My Heart?

Ah... the top 20. Time to get this show on the road.

Let's drop one I've heard some people calling on to leave, shall we?

20. If You Had My Love - Jennifer Lopez
220px-Jennifer_Lopez_-_If_You_Had_My_Love_-_CD_single_cover.jpg

Average
: 8.078
Highest scores: 11 x 10 (@Mirwais Ahmadzaï , @DJHazey , @Hurricane Drunk , @Ray , @Sprockrooster , @Conan , @Robsolete , @soratami , @ohnostalgia , @PushyBakerFriend , @Remorque )
Lowest scores: 1 x 3 (@marie_05 )
Weeks at #1: 5 consecutive Hot 100
Year-End Hot 100: #12 (1999)

And so, the last of our Latin power trio falls – predictably, this being MisandryJustice, it's the female-led one. But when one examines the 1999 “Latin explosion”, Jennifer Lopez's entry into it is quite a bit different to that of the other two members of that trio. See, Enrique and Ricky had got their start singing in Spanish, and they were stars in Latin America for quite some time before making the jump into the English-language pop world; Shakira followed the same path, though her crossover would not come for a couple of years. But Jennifer Lopez did not take that route – already well-known for her acting, she jumped straight to recording in English (though she did record demo material in Spanish, she was persuaded to sing in English instead by Tommy Mottola). And thus, she became one of the period's biggest crossover stars in both film and music. Unfortunately, I like J.Lo quite a bit better in the former than in the latter (she was very good in Out of Sight – too bad she ended up doing so many middling rom-coms...). I rarely thought her material was anything more than decent, usually being nothing more than boilerplate tunes playing to the prevailing trends of the day, and as for her vocal abilities... let's just say, She Doesn't Have the Range.

That said, she does have her bops, and this is one of them. If I were to pick one Jennifer Lopez song to keep, it would have to be “Waiting for Tonight”, but “If You Had My Love” would be a close second – getting her music career off on the good foot, I suppose. Jennifer's got a big advantage here, which is that none other than Rodney Jerkins is manning the boards here, and while it's not his best work among his big hits (that would probably be “Say My Name”), it's still damn good quality. It's the perfect delivery system for a very catchy hook, which is surrounded with verse melodies that are equally memorable – it's so slick and polished you could eat your lunch off it, yet still sneaks in some cool little tricky bits that save it from the generic. The broken guitar chords that provide the underlying rhythm make for a beguiling intro, before they fade into the back for most of the rest of the song, then popping up again with a bit more prominence on the bridge. It's a cool move to give the song some atmosphere before wrong-footing the listener with a different angle on the production; it helps that the melody is instantly hooky yet subtle, and the standard-issue R&B steel-string guitar tone of the late 90's doesn't sound quite as sappy or fake here as it can in some cases. Instead of the guitar, however, the song is mostly led by the sultry swirling sounds of the strings (we stan alliteration round these parts), which are very well-arranged. The melodies are constantly changing in small ways, which keeps the song fresh throughout its running time, and the strings are never allowed to drown out any other element of the song, or its main performer – on who more later. The real attraction, though, lies in the song's central groove, which is just fantastic. The drums aren't quite as inventive as they are on some other Darkchild hits, but their seemingly simple midtempo thump is dressed up with some interesting cymbal patterns and quick moments where they briefly drop out, and thus they land on a feel that is simultaneously smooth and a little nervy. A tricky balance to pull off, to be sure, but they nailed it. And of course, there is that throbbing slap bassline driving the whole thing, giving it a sensuous, funky feel that's quite difficult to dislike. Put it altogether, and you've got quite the earworm on your hands.

So what brings the song down to the 7.25 score I gave it? Yeah, it's J.Lo herself, and I'm gonna say this bluntly, I have never cared for her voice at all. I will give her credit on “If You Had My Love” for choosing production that suits her and doesn't require her to work outside her limitations, and she does manage to display some personality and charisma, particularly in the confident declarations of the first verse. However, there is little that can be done about how thin and squeaky her vocal tone is, or how narrow of a range she's treading in for the entire track time. Whenever she reaches for the higher notes, it is... not very pleasant, what with how airy and weak they sound. I mean, she carries a tune OK, but that's basically it. But those vocal woes aren't quite enough to sink “If You Had My Love”, what with how good that beat is. All in all, it's a catchy midtempo bop, and a good fun summer hit. The problem, though, is that that's all it is, and when it comes to songs in the top 20 of a rate, that isn't quite enough to make the grade.

Sprockrooster (10) - The best female debut single of 1999! And I will not hear otherwise. This was in contention for my 11, but it lacked that final push of being an out of this world classic. But no shade. This is a very solid 10 nonetheless.

PushyBakerFriend (10) - This may be blasphemy, but I actually think this is better than 'Waiting For Tonight' - she's just more convincing on this, vocally. (Eh, I don't think the gap in quality between them is THAT big, so I'll let you have this one.)

Rooneyboy (7) - Waiting For Tonight was so much better.

unnameable (9) - One of her best songs.

mung_bean (6) - Not awful, but I was never really a fan of this song even at the time. I don’t think she’d have had as long a career in pop if this was as good as it got for her quality-wise. (Weeellllllllllll...)

Filippa (7) - “Let’s Get Loud” that’s her song, it has this Latin flair that suits Jennifer Lopez. “If You Had My Love” is too much R&B for me.

A$AP Robbie (9) - This is a great tune. Its easy to forget just how gigantic a pop culture figure J-Lo was around the end of the nineties. (Trivia: In 2000, she became the first person to have the number one album and the number one film in the same week. Now that's quite something!)

Blond (7) - It’s easy to forget just how big J.Lo was at the beginning of the millennium. I prefer her 2000s hits like I’m Real and Ain’t It Funny but this is a solid enough debut. (Never gonna come around to either of those, if I'm honest. I'd rather not listen to Ja Rule again...)

CorgiCorgiCorgi (8) - Late-90s/early-00s J. Lo was unstoppable. (She did prove quite stoppable come 2003... but I don't think any of us would like to dwell on THAT MOVIE.)

berserkboi (8.5) - Back in the day, this would have struggled to get a 5 from me, like it much better now!

br0dy (8.5) - Pablo Flores remix is a 10. (The late 90's and early 2000's: halcyon days of the hit remix version?)

Empty Shoebox (7) - I chose to ignore the dance breakdown in the video, because it's not present on any other version that I've heard. (Buy the Pablo Flores remix on iTunes. - Ed.) It's a decent song. I don't have any real issue with it.

Mina (4) - The dance breakdown is so disjointing and pulls down the song. (Buy the album version on iTunes.)

Ray (10) - I liked Jennifer Lopez for a VERY short time (basically this album and a few singles afterwards). (Yep. - Ed.) The video mix with that dance break is divine, and I was very upset that the actual album/radio version didn’t have the break. Hence only 10, and not 11 points.

londonrain (5.5) - Remember when Puff Daddy stole Chanté Moore's If I Gave Love to create this song? Poor Chanté was about to release If I Gave Love as the second single off her album (to follow up her top 10 hit Chanté's Got A Man) when she discovered that this had been reworked and was about to be released as If You Had My Love for Jennifer Lopez. Chanté ended up releasing the ballad I See You In A Different Light instead, which flopped horribly. She hasn't had a Stateside hit single since. As for J. Lo... well, I preferred No Me Ames, but she got the #1, so... (Once again: Puff ruins everything.)

bleedingheart80 (4) - Only because I am just not a fan of her voice. (Or the voices of her backing vocalists, as the case may be.)

KingBruno (8.5) - The melody is too similair to the superior Darkchild-produced “The Boy is Mine”. (And it IS superior! The rate results don't lie!)

DJHazey (10) - Boy was teenaged-Hazey happy that this video was on TRL for like two months straight. Jennifer looks so fine in every outfit she wears throughout. Trust when I say that the guys in the video weren't acting much differently than me and millions of others who appreciated the art they were watching on the screen. Yes the visuals will always be the first thing on my mind, but don't let that misinterpret the fact that I love the audio immensely. (Quote from Wikipedia: "A new user is introduced, and it is implied that he throws his computer underwater to "turn down the heat" (so to speak), where he continues to watch her." Please do not do that, it is a very silly idea.)

WowWowWowWow (9) - I admit that I SCOFFED at the prospect of Jennifer Lopez launching a recording career. Like, she was the woman who played Robin Williams’ teacher in that movie where he’s a teenager in an adult’s body. (We do not talk about Jack. - Ed.) What is she doing trying to be a popstar? Well this was certainy a good start for her. Watching the video in 2018 is hilarious though.

Mike (7) - Probably has the most 1999 video ever, but the song has aged well enough.

iheartpoptarts (8) - It’s so fun watching all these ~futuristic~ 90s videos. (I bet those computers had a whole 128 megabytes of RAM!)

japanbonustrack (9) - Great production. I don't know her though. (No, I'm not posting that gif. I think we've all got it permanently seared into our brains now that we've been on this forum long enough.)

pidurangala-rock.jpg

Don't be fooled by the rocks that she's got.​

londonrain

Staff member
londonrain (5.5) - Remember when Puff Daddy stole Chanté Moore's If I Gave Love to create this song? Poor Chanté was about to release If I Gave Love as the second single off her album (to follow up her top 10 hit Chanté's Got A Man) when she discovered that this had been reworked and was about to be released as If You Had My Love for Jennifer Lopez. Chanté ended up releasing the ballad I See You In A Different Light instead, which flopped horribly. She hasn't had a Stateside hit single since. As for J. Lo... well, I preferred No Me Ames, but she got the #1, so... (Once again: Puff ruins everything.)
Here's a video with clips of both songs, plus Chanté talking about how it happened:

"I wanted to sock Rodney Jerkins in the head!"