The After School Discography Rate • FINISHED | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum

The After School Discography Rate • FINISHED

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by vague, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Well so much for their finest ballad! Admittedly, five of my nine points only materialised after the (stunning!) bridge, but I find that balladry tends to be more about the destination than the journey at the best of times.

That said, Timeless is a great second choice for their best downtempo. Let’s make sure that happens!

BEST FICTION, M24, thommyh and 8 others like this.
  2. [​IMG]

3. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grade: 6.895
    Honor roll: 10×1 (@RUNAWAY), 9×2 (@Slice of Life, @eatyourself), 8.25×2 (@KimLippington, @vague)
    Drop-outs: 2×1 (@Hurricane Drunk), 4×1 (@SloMover), 5×2 (@Wills, @Conan)
    @Love Deluxe's score: 7.5
    @vague's score: 8.25

5 ballots: #54, 7.900 avg.
    10 ballots: #58, 7.275 avg.
    15 ballots: #61, 6.983 avg.
    20 ballots: #63, 6.925 avg.
    25 ballots: #62, 6.820 avg.
    31 ballots: #63, 6.895 avg.

"시간에 기대어" (sigane gidaeeo; leaning on time), also known as "Depend on Time", is the eighth track from After School's first Korean album, VIRGIN, released on April 28, 2011. The song's lyrics were written by Choi Youngshin, it was composed by Yoo Chiyeon, and arranged by Shim Taehyun and Han Hocheol. "시간에 기대어" is a solo song performed by Raina.

Yoo Chiyeon also worked on HELLOVENUS' second single "파도처럼 (Like A Wave)" and co-wrote Orange Caramel's "Superwoman", another Raina solo track, with Han Hocheol.

[​IMG] (7.5) — "I'm sure Raina was over the moon that she finally got an entire song to herself!"

[​IMG] (8.25) — "Cute lil R&B-lite midtempo. Raina sounds really sweet on this, too."

@RUNAWAY (10) — "this was the song where I really fell in love with Raina's beautiful voice. I think it's safe to say I STANNED her solo releases. The Reset single was pure EXCELLENCE and her solo releases are so underrated."

@eatyourself (9) — "This Corinne Bailey Rae serve!"

@M24 (7.75) — "Lovely vocals here, and the chorus is pretty good too. Among the best from the balladry section of the album (that's not saying much, I know)."

@berserkboi (7) — "Nice!"

@Macsun (6.75) — "Typical KPOP mid-tempo ballad meh."

[​IMG]

BEST FICTION, M24, Remorque and 18 others like this.
  4. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

This is bullshit.....Timeless is gonna be next huh? And FUNKY MAN is still here?!

Remorque, thommyh, berserkboi and 7 others like this.
  5. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

[​IMG]

Bye!

6. Okay, "Depend on time" deserved a 7+ average. And we better not see "Timeless" exit until at least Top40.

7. Literally what the fuck is Funky Man still doing here? I should have tanked it.

M24, Remorque, Macsun and 3 others like this.
  8. I have some 6s that could have gone before Depend on Time. It's a decent track.

Remorque, roblognick, evilsin and 2 others like this.
  9. we're losing another single tonight . . .

it's also the first song from the extras section to leave . . .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Take me to the place

Grade: 6.944
    Honor roll: 10×2 (@RUNAWAY, @KimLippington), 9.25×1 (@Oleander), 9×2 (@evilsin, @yuuurei)
    Drop-outs: 3×1 (@Hurricane Drunk), 4×1 (@SloMover), 5×2 (@singabob, @eatyourself)
    @Love Deluxe's score: 6
    @vague's score: 7.25

5 ballots: #68, 7.200 avg.
    10 ballots: #64, 7.050 avg.
    15 ballots: #64, 6.833 avg.
    20 ballots: #61, 7.075 avg.
    25 ballots: #61, 6.880 avg.
    31 ballots: #62, 6.944 avg.

"Take me to the place" is Bekah's first solo digital single, released on July 11, 2011 under the name A.S. Bekah. The song was written by Bekah herself, and was released as a special graduation project shortly after she officially graduated from After School on July 9, 2011.

Looking back, Bekah's last year or so in the group was a bit tumultuous with a long hiatus in late 2010, missing comebacks in Korea as well as the group's Japanese debut, and rampant rumors within the fanbase that Pledis was trying to push Bekah out of the group. Bekah would return to the group for the release of their first full-length album, VIRGIN, and its title track, "Shampoo", in April 2011, but she would ultimately graduate from the group just three months later on July 9.

On June 17, 2011, when Pledis announced that Bekah would be graduating from After School, they also announced that she would be releasing a special graduation single and have a special photoshoot, as well. Two days later, on June 19, Bekah had a graduation party with her groupmates and with After School's first graduate, Soyoung, also in attendance. Bekah would continue performing with After School right up until her graduation on July 9; there's even a fancam of Nana crying during Bekah's final performance of "Shampoo" at the group's second fan meeting on the day of her graduation.

Despite being the only member to get a special graduation project, Pledis still kind of did Bekah dirty with this whole thing nn. They really said, "Yeah, sorry, Bekah, you don't get a spot in any of the AS subunits, and we're gonna edit you out of the Japanese debut announcement picture, but here's an unmastered solo single as consolation! Oh, and you can re-use the 'Let's Step Up' sash for your graduation picture." Cheap asses. It's no wonder fans have thought for years that she was pushed out of the group (although, she did recently clarify in an interview that it was ultimately her choice to leave for her mental health).

[​IMG] (6) — "Trying to think of something to write about this song, but all that comes to mind is - wow this must've done wonders for Bekah's overall line distribution! Also this is another of their 2011 songs that has weird mastering issues, did the Pledis audio engineer quit mid-2011?? Blockberry Creative quaking."

[​IMG] (7.25) — "Very happy she got to release this, and it's super sweet. Not the best song ever written, though, is it... :B"

@RUNAWAY (10) — "my bias Bekah of course was the first to go, but at least she delivered this gorgeous ballad <3"

@KimLippington (10) — "Scoring this with my stan goggles well and truly on but I love Bekah and I love this corny song!"

@Macsun (8.75) — "Such a bittersweet song when it first came out. It's nice to hear Bekah having a song to herself but she's a much stronger rapper."

@M24 (7.25) — "It's another cute ballad. I love the single cover though, it made me crack up. So weird that it's on spotify as 'A.S.-Bekah'."

@roblognick (6) — "Bekah does sound cute and proves she could have done more than the one line or just the rap, but it's such a generic, cliché ballad."

@eyeline (6) — "Ugh I was so upset when Bekah left!"

@berserkboi (5.5) — "Nice enough but not something that is 'good' over the rest of their stuff!"

@SloMover (4) — "Bekah is obviously a legend but this is not very good and she sounds kind of unpleasant on the chorus."

[​IMG]

BEST FICTION, M24, Remorque and 19 others like this.
  10. Okay, but this is weird. I remember when this came out and I was sad and all, still I knew it was Bekah's solo. Then when I listened to it years after I thought I heard other memebers on this? Show that range, Bekah, I guess.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    Remorque, roblognick and vague like this.
  11. you all are so sick for this . . .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Bell

Grade: 6.992
    Honor roll: 10×4 (@RUNAWAY, @Attis, @Oleander, @vague), 9×1 (@Vixen), 8.25×2 (@BEST FICTION, @Remorque)
    Drop-outs: 2×1 (@Hurricane Drunk), 4×1 (@SloMover), 5×3 (@Ana Raquel, @Wills, @Conan)
    @Love Deluxe's score: 7.75
    @vague's score: 10

5 ballots: #46, 8.150 avg.
    10 ballots: #53, 7.475 avg.
    15 ballots: #64, 6.883 avg.
    20 ballots: #64, 6.875 avg.
    25 ballots: #66, 6.700 avg.
    31 ballots: #61, 6.992 avg.

"My Bell" is the eighth track from After School's first Korean album, VIRGIN, released on April 28, 2011. The song's lyrics and melody were written by Song Yangha, and it was arranged by Chae Joongi. "My Bell" is a solo song performed by Jung-A.

Jung-A performed "My Bell" (as well as her solo OST single, "You're Cute") at the opening ceremony for the Gangnam K-POP Hall on December 1, 2012.

Song Yangha is mostly known for his work with ballad artists and OSTs, but has also written songs for KPJ faves, including KARA's Goo Hara ("La La La"), APRIL ("Knock knock", "Fine Thank you", and "Hide & Seek"), and AOA's Hyejeong ("Be the light").

[​IMG] (7.75) — "Can someone check on @vague? Hope he's alright!"

[​IMG] (10) — "I'm so sorry but this is gorgeous and if you can't hear that then I don't know what to tell ya!!"

@Attis (10) — "'90s Asian ballad is my weakness, so soft and melancholic."

@Vixen (9) — "She was singing...."

@berserkboi (8) — "A good showcase of a beautiful voice!"

@eatyourself (8) — "Yes to this debut Laura Pausini throwback!"

@M24 (7.25) — "I've only now just realized that Jung-a's vocals are quite amazing too. I think Raina's are more flashing, and as a result I'd never come to appreciate what a lovely voice Jung-a has."

@eyeline (6.5) — "I kind of like all the solo ballads they gave raina and jung-ah but I also find them all interchangeable."

@Macsun (6.5) — "Unfortunately JungAh's ajumma Final Fantasy haircut couldn't save this song."

[​IMG]

BEST FICTION, Remorque, M24 and 18 others like this.
  12. And with the elimination of "My Bell", that means your bottom ten is~

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

70 8 hot girl — 6.548
    69 잘 지내고 있죠 (Nothing to complain of) — 6.653
    68 겨울 이야기 (Winter Story) — 6.703
    67 손목시계 (Watch) — 6.774
    66 Lucky Girl — 6.831
    65 LOVE LOVE LOVE — 6.847
    64 화장을 하다 울었어 (Make up & tears) — 6.887
    63 시간에 기대어 (Depend on Time) — 6.895
    62 Take me to the place ━ 6.944
    61 My Bell ━ 6.992

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    「New Schoolgirl」

PLAY GIRLZ
    AH
    나쁜놈 (Bad Guy)

[​IMG]
    「아몰레드 (AMOLED)」

아몰레드 (AMOLED) (with Son Dambi)

[​IMG]
    「너 때문에」

너 때문에 (Because of you)
    When I Fall
    Diva

[​IMG]
    「BANG!」

Let's do it!
    뱅(Bang)!
    With U

[​IMG]
    「Happy pledis」

LOVE LOVE LOVE
    Someone is you

[​IMG]
    「VIRGIN」

Shampoo
    Virgin
    Play Ur Love
    Dream (feat. Pre-School Girl Yoonjo)
    시간에 기대어 (Depend on Time)
    잘 지내고 있죠 (Nothing to complain of)

Funky Man (feat. Pre-School Girl Kyungmin)
    My Bell
    When I Fall (2011 New Recordings)

[​IMG]
    「BLUE」+「RED」

원더보이 (Wonder boy)
    Lady

밤 하늘에 (In the night sky)
    HOLLYWOOD

[​IMG]
    「HAPPY PLEDIS 2012」

LOVE LETTER
    겨울 이야기 (Winter Story)

[​IMG]
    「PLAYGIRLZ」

Rip off
    Rambling girls
    BROKEN HEART feat. Jung-A, Raina, Nana, E-Young
    Diva (Japan Ver.)
    Just in time
    Gimme Love
    Because of you (Japan Ver.)
    Miss Futuristic feat. Kahi, Juyeon, U-ie, Lizzy
    Bang! (Japan Ver.)
    Tell me

[​IMG]
    「Lady Luck / Dilly Dally」

Lady Luck
    Dilly Dally
    SLOW LOVE

[​IMG]
    「FLASHBACK」

FLASHBACK
    Eyeline (透視 / 투시)
    손목시계 (Watch)
    Timeless

[​IMG]
    「첫사랑」

8 hot girl
    첫사랑 (First Love)
    Dressing Room
    Time's up
    Love Beat
    화장을 하다 울었어 (Make up & tears)

[​IMG]
    「일주일」

일주일 (Week)

[​IMG]
    「Dress to kill」

Dress to kill
    Ms.Independent
    Triangle
    Crazy Driver
    Shh
    Yes No Yes
    Heaven
    in the moonlight
    rock it!
    Spotlight
    Lucky Girl

[​IMG]
    「SHINE」

SHINE

[​IMG]
    「Extras」

Dream Girl
    Dreams Again!
    make it happen (with Amuro Namie)
    Take me to the place
    Super sexy
    Ready to love

Four of the untouched sections will be losing their first track within the next ten eliminations. What do you guys think will go next? More importantly, what do you want to go next?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    BEST FICTION, Remorque, M24 and 19 others like this.
  13. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

Lady Luck not being bottom ten is something I didn't see coming.

Remorque, ysev, roblognick and 2 others like this.
  14. Yeah, I'm sorry, @vague, I don't hear what you or the other 3 honor rolls are hearing here.

Remorque, Love Deluxe, ysev and 2 others like this.
  15. Noooo this song is so pretty. It would eat the Sanremo Festival in the 90s.

Remorque, Love Deluxe, ysev and 2 others like this.
  16. y'all really hate this album, don't you? nn

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dream

Grade: 7.153
    Honor roll: 10×2 (@junglefish, @berserkboi), 9×1 (@Attis), 8.5×1 (@Conan)
    Drop-outs: 3×2 (@eyeline, @Hurricane Drunk), 5×1 (@SloMover), 5.5×2 (@chrisjche, @Cotton Park)
    @Love Deluxe's score: 7.75
    @vague's score: 8

5 ballots: #45, 8.250 avg.
    10 ballots: #48, 7.825 avg.
    15 ballots: #51, 7.517 avg.
    20 ballots: #56, 7.375 avg.
    25 ballots: #58, 7.140 avg.
    31 ballots: #60, 7.153 avg.

"Dream (feat. Pre-School Girl YoonJo)" is the sixth track from After School's first Korean album, VIRGIN, released on April 28, 2011. The song's lyrics were written by Kim Heesun, it was composed by Daisuke Kahara and Samuli Laiho, and was arranged by Fraktal. "Dream" is a unit song performed by Jung-A, Bekah, Raina, Nana, Lizzy, and E-Young.

Pre-School Girl YoonJo would ultimately go on to join Pledis and Fantagio's joint six-membered girl group, HELLOVENUS, who debuted in May 2012 with the single "Venus". Yoo Ara and Kim Hyelim (aka Lime), two fellow Pre-School Girls who featured on the HAPPY PLEDIS single "LOVE LETTER", also debuted in the group. YoonJo and Yoo Ara both remained with the group until Pledis and Fantagio dissolved their partnership in July 2014.

In October 2017, YoonJo joined KBS' survival reality show THE UNI+: Idol Rebooting Project and was voted into the show's second chance girl group, UNI.T, during the final episode. UNI.T released two mini-albums, line and Begin with the end, and three singles, "No More", "I mean", and "Begin with the end", throughout 2018 before disbanding that same year.

[​IMG] (7.75) — "Dream Girl outsold."

[​IMG] (8) — "This is... so far removed from what was After School's typical sound up until this point that it's kinda funny? No wonder Kahi is nowhere to be heard in this nn. I do like it, though!"

@junglefish (10) — "The DREAM DREAM BEVERLY HILLS lyrics! The sax solo at the end! High camp."

@berserkboi (10) — "Classic bubblegum beauty!"

@Attis (9) — "Dream dream beverly hills~ it's more KARA stuff rather than After School, but I still like it so much."

@M24 (8) — "Cute song, there are lovely melodies in here. I especially enjoy the sax solo before the end. Overall, it's my third favorite of the Virgin album, though that's not saying much tbh ddd."

@singabob (7.5) — "I always wondered if this song is meant to be a Christmas song."

@eyeline (3) — ":eyeroll:"

[​IMG]

We apologize for not posting an elimination on Monday. We'll post two on Friday to make up for it!! x

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    BEST FICTION, Remorque, M24 and 19 others like this.
  17. Waittt I always assumed Lime was a Fantagio trainee since she continued with Hello Venus even after the partnership between Pledis and Fantagio ended.

Why didn’t she debut in AS? They sorely needed another rapper and she was literally mentored by Bekah…

Remorque, M24, Love Deluxe and 3 others like this.
  18. Dream dream beverry heer

Remorque, vague and roblognick like this.
  19. Literally all I can remember about this song is also rolling my eyes at it ww I gave it a 6 but we were being ... very generous that day.

20. "Dream" is fine, the main synth and the sudden sax make it for me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.