The After School Discography Rate • FINISHED | Page 12 | The Popjustice Forum

The After School Discography Rate • FINISHED

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by vague, Sep 7, 2021.

1. I get a strange Mariah-ness in this song but I don't find the vocals too interesting. It's not bad, I just got bored.

2. after a brief reprieve, we're backing to cutting VIRGIN tracks tonight . . .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Play Ur Love

Grade: 7.355
    Honor roll: 10×1 (@RUNAWAY), 9.5×1 (@berserkboi), 9.25×2 (@Macsun, @Mikl C)
    Drop-outs: 4.25×1 (@singabob), 5×2 (@Conan, @Vixen), 5.5×1 (@Ana Raquel)
    @Love Deluxe's score: 8.25
    @vague's score: 8

5 ballots: #61, 7.750 avg.
    10 ballots: #56, 7.400 avg.
    15 ballots: #50, 7.533 avg.
    20 ballots: #49, 7.475 avg.
    25 ballots: #48, 7.480 avg.
    31 ballots: #55, 7.355 avg.

"Play Ur Love" is the fifth track from After School's first Korean album, VIRGIN, released on April 28, 2011. The song's lyrics were written by Kim Boa, it was composed by G-high, arranged by G-high and Kim Zart, and produced by Sweetune. "Play Ur Love" is a unit song performed by Kahi, Jung-A, Raina, and Nana.

Sweetune is, of course, one of Korea's biggest and most prolific production units, having produced classics for KARA, 9MUSES, RAINBOW, INFINITE, and a plethora of other k-pop stars. (We had a whole rate for them hosted by the wonderful @Wills last year, in fact!) Lyricist Kim Boa would go on to join the short-lived girl group SPICA the following year, and, most recently, formed the duo KEEMBO with fellow former SPICA member Kim Bohyung. G-high would go on to become a founding member of the production unit Monotree, and has produced several songs for LOOΠΔ, among many, many others.

[​IMG] (8.25) — "Yes intro, yes pre-chorus, yes Nana. Son Dam Bi's voice could've slotted seamlessly into so many parts of this song. Also where did Kahi's country twang voice suddenly come from for this song? Very me after marathoning 3 seasons of Reba in one sitting."

[​IMG] (8) — "I definitely underscored this. Also, I only found out during rate prep that this was a Sweetune production?? I would've never guessed nn."

@berserkboi (9.5) — "Giving me early Mandy Moore!"

@Macsun (9.25) — "One of their better 'group' ballads. Good vocal production with the main singers carrying the brunt while Nana holding her own vocally and doing harmonies."

@M24 (8.25) — "Beautiful ballad, and I like how even their softer moments always have electronic flourishes. Raina's vocals make the chorus even better, as always."

@singabob (4.25) — "Some of the vocals sound... bad. It's such a forgettable song and I can never excuse the use of ‘Ur' in a song title."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    Remorque, BEST FICTION, M24 and 19 others like this.
  3. What the fuck is going on

Remorque, Attis, evilsin and 8 others like this.
  4. There are some very crunchy uptempo numbers that deserve to leave about now. Hollywood, I'm looking at you.

Remorque, Love Deluxe and vague like this.
  5. I gave it an 8 so it definitely could have stayed a bit longer. But based on my scoring Love Letter could go next. I think my lowest scoring non-ballad that hasn't gone yet is probably Let's Do It or Broken Heart.

Remorque, Love Deluxe and vague like this.
  6. I gave this a 6 but would probably add another point to it today. It's very pretty.

7. .............that was Sweetune!? Huh. Not their finest (but not too bad, either!)

Remorque, BEST FICTION, M24 and 7 others like this.
  8. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

What is HAPPENING here?! The best Virgin tracks are getting cut and Funky Man is STILL here?!

Remorque, M24, thommyh and 7 others like this.
  9. Kim Boa, Sweetune? Now it makes sense why this track is so good! Spot on about Kahi’s country twang that she magically acquired. With that and her “granny raps”…the true chameleon queen of vocals. You have to stan!
    [​IMG]

Remorque, thommyh, Attis and 3 others like this.
  10. Wonder boy and Lady outlasting a slew of perfectly good ballads ...
    [​IMG]

11. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let's do it!

Grade: 7.371
    Honor roll: 10×1 (@Crisp X), 9×4 (@Ana Raquel, @Slice of Life, @Remorque, @vague), 8.25×2 (@Mikl C, @Love Deluxe)
    Drop-outs: 3×1 (@Hurricane Drunk), 5×1 (@eyeline), 6×2 (@roblognick, @Vixen)
    @Love Deluxe's score: 8.25
    @vague's score: 9

5 ballots: #50, 7.950 avg.
    10 ballots: #47, 7.875 avg.
    15 ballots: #44, 7.717 avg.
    20 ballots: #48, 7.513 avg.
    25 ballots: #54, 7.350 avg.
    31 ballots: #54, 7.371 avg.

"Let's do it!" is the intro track from After School's third Korean single album, BANG!, released on March 25, 2010. The track's lyrics were written by Kahi, and it was composed and arranged by Kim Taehyun (aka Mordny) and Kim Hyeho. "Let's do it!" was promoted on music shows alongside "뱅(Bang)!" during the single's first week of stages.

A music video featuring After School playing marching drums was produced for "Let's do it!", and it was released on March 26, 2010, one day after the album's release. A new version of the music video was later included only on the limited CD+DVD editions of their debut Japanese single, Bang! (Japan Ver.), released on August 17, 2011.

While promoting "뱅(Bang)!", After School revealed that they had been practicing drums daily for eight months before the album's release - even before they began promoting "너 때문에 (Because of you)" throughout the end of 2009 - saying, "Even though we can only present a short performance on stage, we've practiced so hard that there wasn't a day when we didn't put bandages on our hands. A trainer was invited to instruct us, and we practically lived wearing our drums. It felt like we were returning to our debut days."
    [​IMG]

On the SBS variety show Kim Jungeun's Chocolate, Kahi revealed the inspiration behind the track's concept was the 2002 film Drumline, saying, "Three or four years ago, I watched the movie Drumline and was deeply touched. I thought about incorporating it into our choreography and, finally, now that we have eight members, my dream has come true."

"Let's do it!" remained a staple in After School's live performances and tours for the remainder of the group's run. Kahi even personally taught the two members who joined after its release, E-Young and Kaeun, the routine before she graduated from the group in 2012.

[​IMG] (8.25) — "I honestly have no comments on this because it's basically an instrumental. But since After School learning how to play drums was directly influenced from the movie Drumline, I'm going to take this opportunity to plug my absolute favorite university marching band (they also inspired Beyoncé's Coachella performance, were featured in the Homecoming documentary, and had Beyoncé using their choreography in the Single Ladies music video)."

[​IMG] (9) — "I don't care that this isn't even really a song; I just love this so much. Back in the day of CDRs, I would always put this and "Bang!" near the beginning of just about every disc I burned fffff."

@eatyourself (8) — "I love funk carioca!"

@M24 (7.75) — "Wow, I can't believe they learned to play the drums for this! And it's even more surprising that Pledis didn't even bother to upload it to their official channel ugh, I had to watch it in horrible pixelated quality."

@KimLippington (7.5) — "I just know this would go off at After Schoolchella."

@berserkboi (7) — "Boppy intro, though does not really amount to much!"

@Macsun (6.5) — "Saturday morning cartoon realness. Great adlibs by Kahi and Bekah?! (However it's just not a real song and doesn't compare to the stellar PLAYGIRLZ)"

@Vixen (6) — "I mean, it's cute, but it's an intro, so you know..."

[​IMG]

Remorque, BEST FICTION, M24 and 19 others like this.
  12. It's so good when an intro does its job and complements the main song after it.

Remorque, M24, Love Deluxe and 3 others like this.
  13. "Play ur love" deserves to still be here!

Remorque, Love Deluxe, vague and 2 others like this.
  14. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grade: 7.379
    Honor roll: 10×1 (@eatyourself), 9.5×1 (@M24), 9×2 (@berserkboi, @Oleander)
    Drop-outs: 3×1 (@Vixen), 5.75×1 (@KimLippington), 6×4 (@Attis, @Wills, @eyeline, @Cotton Park)
    @Love Deluxe's score: 8

5 ballots: #50, 7.950 avg.
    10 ballots: #53, 7.475 avg.
    15 ballots: #55, 7.350 avg.
    20 ballots: #57, 7.325 avg.
    25 ballots: #50, 7.430 avg.
    31 ballots: #53, 7.379 avg.

"나쁜놈" (nappeun nom; bad guy), also known as "Bad Bastard", is the third track from After School's debut single album, "New Schoolgirl", released on January 15, 2009. It was written, composed, and arranged by Brave Brothers. "나쁜놈" is a unit song featuring Kahi, Jung-A, and Bekah.

"나쁜놈" was intended to be promoted as the group's follow-up single to "AH", but due to broadcast stations deeming its lyrics unsuitable, the song was banned from being aired and the performances were ultimately canceled. Due to its ban, "나쁜놈" has only been performed live once: at After School's first fan meeting on February 27, 2010.

[​IMG] (8) — "End him! Wait when did I give this an 8? ddddd."

[​IMG] (8) — "Weakest song on the debut single, but it still fleets."

@eatyourself (10) — "I'm living my (feat. AKON) fantasy."

@M24 (9.5) — "'I'm gonna break your neck so run' dddd. What a line. That 'f***' took me by surprise too. Anyway, I really like the song, my only gripe with it is that I wish the vocals weren't so heavily filtered, because I feel like it's a song that needs emoting to hit harder. It was released in 2009 though, so I understand it was part of the trend to max out the autotune."

@berserkboi (9) — "The rap elevates!"

@Macsun (8) — "Believe it or not this was the first year I ever heard this song. Never knew this b-side existed. It's great to hear mostly raps from Bekah and Kahi."

@singabob (7.5) — "I loveee the verses (the vocoder raps!) but the chorus lets it down slightly."

@roblognick (7) — "I love that on Apple Music this song is called Bad Bastard. You can also really tell they were Pussycat Dolls influenced here."

@SloMover (7) — "I'm gonna break your neck so run."

@Attis (6) — "It's similar to Play Girlz, but with worse quality & melody."

@KimLippington (5.75) — "Iconic that this is called Bad Bastard on Apple Music."

@Vixen (3) — "If there ever was a 2009 nugu sound, I think this would be it, surely?"

[​IMG]

BEST FICTION, aux, M24 and 20 others like this.
  15. "Bad Guy" is very of its time track. It has this dirty electronica sound associated with the early 2010s trends in KPop.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    M24, Love Deluxe, vague and 3 others like this.
  16. I'm a sucker for this type of late 2000's R&B-pop, so I'm all over their debut mini. So good.

Love Deluxe, vague and roblognick like this.
  17. That performance, wow. Just sitting there for two thirds of the song. And it's only three of them? Did not know that! I'm not surprised it was banned though. Surely they knew it would be. The difference between this and Ah is staggering.

Love Deluxe, vague and Macsun like this.
  18. we're cutting another song that got banned from broadcast tonight . . .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Funky Man

Grade: 7.387
    Honor roll: 10×1 (@Crisp X), 9×3 (@ysev, @Conan, @Remorque), 8.75×3 (@junglefish, @eatyourself, @BEST FICTION)
    Drop-outs: 2×2 (@eyeline, @Hurricane Drunk), 4×1 (@Wills), 6×2 (@Ana Raquel, @Cotton Park)
    @Love Deluxe's score: 7.75

5 ballots: #57, 7.850 avg.
    10 ballots: #49, 7.800 avg.
    15 ballots: #49, 7.567 avg.
    20 ballots: #54, 7.413 avg.
    25 ballots: #57, 7.180 avg.
    31 ballots: #52, 7.387 avg.

"Funky Man (feat. Pre-School Girl KyungMin)" is the tenth track from After School's first Korean album, VIRGIN, released on April 28, 2011. It was written and arranged by Gong Hyunsik and Jang Junho. "Funky Man" is a unit song performed by Nana and Lizzy.

Upon its release, "Funky Man" was banned from broadcast by the Korean Ministry of Gender Equality and Family, citing the song's "sensational lyrics" as the reason it was harmful to Korea's youth. Pledis would go on to sue MOGEF to nullify the ban, and on April 27, 2012, it was announced that the country's high courts had sided with Pledis, stating, "The words contained in 'Funky Man' describe a cheerleader and there is nothing suggestive about it."

Pre-School Girl KyungMin, alongside Yoo Ara, was one of two finalists in the Search for After School's 9th Member auditions held on the Korean social media site me2day between July 30 and August 16 of 2010. Once the auditions concluded, Pledis released a statement saying, "It's not certain at this point whether they will become a part of After School or not. The final decision will come after training." Ultimately, neither of the two audition winners would join the group, and E-Young was introduced as the ninth member on December 31, 2010, during After School's performance on SBS Gayo Daejun.

KyungMin left Pledis in 2012. In 2013, she changed her stage name to Kim Goun and debuted as a second generation member of the girl group FlaShe with the release of their second single, "Oh Ye Yo", on October 1. Goun remained a member of FlaShe through the release of their ninth single, "IPPN GIRL", on August 8, 2016, but left the group sometime after that and seems to have returned to a normal life.

[​IMG] (7.75) — "ITZY <3 Kidding! But in all seriousness, I wish to proceed in life with the amount of chaos that that intro holds. I thought this sounded so similar to 4Minute's 'Sweet Suga Honey!', which was also released in 2011. After a little wikipedaling, both 'Funky Man' and 'Sweet Suga Honey!' were written and produced by the same people - The Already Gone x Halo Print."

[​IMG] (8) — "Kyungmin's got such a cute lil baby doll voice that really meshes well with Nana and Lizzy. I used to like this a whole lot more when the album first came out, but it's still a solid OC-lite b-side."

@eatyourself (8.75) — "This is a lot of fun and extra."

@Vixen (8.75) — "This is like their first proper good b-side that isn't a ballad dddd."

@berserkboi (8.5) — "Great chorus, the verses are a little so-so!"

@Macsun (8) — "Would fit right into Orange Caramel."

@M24 (7.5) — "The 'come in, oh my funky man, ah ah ah ah ah' is awful ddd. The rest of the song is alright, but that bit kind of turns me off the song."

@KimLippington (7.25) — "Bekah's pen is unmatched."

@roblognick (7) — "I hate how my brain tries to go to The Wiggles ft. Kylie Minogue when this song starts. But once it gets going it's a cute bop."

@SloMover (7) — "You can slam your pussy to this and livens up the back half of the VIRGIN album, thank goodness. I wonder what Kyungmin is up to these days."

@Wills (4) — "Nice of the monkey's paw to finally deliver that uptempo we were asking for amidst 10000 ballads."

[​IMG]

19. I gave this song a chance because it was Nana and Lizzy. How funny that this was banned. The lyrics don’t seem worse than any other song. I bet they just hated it!

vague and Love Deluxe like this.
  20. I think the banning was at its highest during that time in KPop. I remember they banned Lee Hyori's "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" just because she walked in the middle of an empty road in the music video, dddd.

"Funky Man" is greay, actually. Although I always thought that its verses and chorus sound like they belong to two different songs.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    vague, Love Deluxe and singabob like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.