The After School Discography Rate • FINISHED

VZ1YzqN.gif

Zi68uTq.gif

0NvHFHd.gif

Dream Girl

Grade: 7.677
Honor roll: 10×3 (@evilsin, @yuuurei, @eatyourself), 9.25×1 (@Oleander), 9×5 (@junglefish, @Ana Raquel, @berserkboi, @Macsun, @Remorque)
Drop-outs: 4×1 (@SloMover), 4.25×1 (@singabob), 5.75×1 (@Attis)
@Love Deluxe's score: 7.75
@vague's score: 7.75

5 ballots: #67, 7.250 avg.
10 ballots: #52, 7.600 avg.
15 ballots: #54, 7.400 avg.
20 ballots: #45, 7.575 avg.
25 ballots: #45, 7.640 avg.
31 ballots: #46, 7.677 avg.

"Dream Girl" is After School's second digital single, released on May 22, 2009. It was written and composed by Tsunku♂, and is a cover of the Japanese idol group Morning Musume's million-selling #1 single, "LOVE Machine", released on September 9, 1999. After School's admission and graduation concept was modeled after Morning Musume's.

"Dream Girl" was recorded as the theme song to the Mnet reality show vs Tokyo Girl, which was a survival program documenting the search to find Korean Hello! Project members and expand Hello! Project into the South Korean entertainment industry. The Korean auditions were part of a larger Asian-wide expansion plan for Hello! Project that saw two Chinese members join Morning Musume in 2007, as well as the creation of Hello! Project Taiwan in 2008. Fourteen-year-old Jang Dayeon ultimately won the audition; she trained with Hello! Project until 2013 but never actually debuted.

After School was hand-selected by the Hello! Project brass to sing "Dream Girl" after Morning Musume's producer, Tsunku♂, listened to and was impressed by "AH" and "Diva". The agency's producers even visited the group during the song's recording, and there were discussions about After School joining Hello! Project for their Japanese debut. A Hello! Project representative stated, "Though nothing much has been confirmed, we talked about [After School] advancing into the Japanese market. We are looking forward to having yet another Korean group making it big in Japan like TVXQ and SS501."

At the time of its release, the Gaon charts did not yet exist, but "Dream Girl" was still a minor hit in Korea, reaching the top twenty of several download charts within the first five days of its release.

Although not the last single released while she was still in the group, "Dream Girl" is the last song Soyoung actually sang on while a member of After School as only Kahi, Bekah, and U-ie recorded lines for "아몰레드 (AMOLED)", Soyoung's actual last release.

Untitled1-copy.png
(7.75) — "The mere existence of Dream Girl means that somewhere in the space time continuum, Kahi and Maki Goto have collaborated in some form. Imagine an After School cover of SOME BOYS! TOUCH!"

Untitled-1-copy.png
(7.75) — "I really don't know how I feel about this particular song, tbh. I feel like After School's cover strips a lot of the fun and wackiness out that made the Morning Musume version so interesting. It's a serviceable enough cover, but nothing I feel the need to return to often."​

@eatyourself (10) — "This makes me want to line-dance at a wedding party."

@junglefish (9) — "I honestly love the original so of course I love this as well! Though I have to say it's very weird to hear a Morning Musume song with decent vocals."

@berserkboi (9) — "A latter day BOP!"

@Macsun (9) — "Ah what cheese, gotta love it!"

@Wills (8) — "The mileage this gets out of its bag of tricks is seriously impressive. It goes pretty much nowhere, but then that little fanfare happens every 0.5 seconds and I'm drawn right back in!"

@Cotton Park (7.5) — "@Bananarama."

@roblognick (7) — "A new After School song for me. Does anybody else hear the '70s Wonder Woman TV show theme tune in this?"

@M24 (7) — "It doesn't differ too much from the original, although the rap is pretty cool. I give it a 7, simply for being a cover as I wouldn't want it to outlast their original songs. They can keep that mv too."

@singabob (4.25) — "This song is not it."​

3398f06f2356f02cb1ab4999cab06788b91ececc.png

Have y'all watched Kahi's cover of "LALISA" from Mom is an Idol yet? She is too talented and this ain't even the best she can do lbr.

Oh, and also... we're losing out first 11 tomorrow.

she/her
I feel like After School's cover strips a lot of the fun and wackiness out that made the Morning Musume version so interesting.
I completely agree BUT it got a 10 from me anyway just for the sheer surreality of Morning Musume being covered by After School.
Picture me, in 2007: I had been a dedicated Ayumi Hamasaki stan for about 3 years, and the majority of the rest of my digital music library was other Jpop acts and anime themes. While listening to recommended artists on Last.fm, I heard a song that wasn't quite like anything else I had on my playlists - Chotto Ikashita PURE BOY by Morning Musume, which had been released as a B-side back in 2002. Obsessed, I soon hunted down as much Morning Musume music as I could illegally download. One of the many tracks I would soon have on repeat was their 1999 mega hit, LOVE MACHINE. I was entranced by this group of girls and their fun and lively music. My Momusu - and Hello!Project - stannage would even eclipse my Ayu infatuation in time.
Fast forward a bit to 2009 and another girl group came onto my radar - this time a Korean one called Girls' Generation, with the preeminent Gee. From there I began expanding from my Ayu, Momusu and Jpop roots and listening to other Kpop GGs, like Rainbow, then Brown Eyed Girls, and then (here's where the post becomes relevant) After School. Each time I discovered a new one I was interested in, I collected whatever songs of theirs I could find to add to my playlists and then proceeded to jam. I didn't really research the groups much, I just enjoyed listening to them and how Kpop felt so different from Hello!Project's girl groups' music, though I still loved the latter.
So now please imagine my feeling of utter confusion as I sat there listening to After School for the first time - and heard the unmistakeable sound of LOVE MACHINE. I was literally just
monkey-puppet-omg-shock-gif.gif

and had to go on a search to figure out what the heck was going on. And the answer of course was as @vague stated in the write-up. From there, learning that AS' concept was initially inspired by Momusu/H!P piqued my interest in them and I've been a fan ever since.
Anyway, that's why I had to give Dream Girl a 10.

I have to say it's very weird to hear a Morning Musume song with decent vocals.

he/him
I completely agree BUT it got a 10 from me anyway just for the sheer surreality of Morning Musume being covered by After School.
Picture me, in 2007: I had been a dedicated Ayumi Hamasaki stan for about 3 years, and the majority of the rest of my digital music library was other Jpop acts and anime themes. While listening to recommended artists on Last.fm, I heard a song that wasn't quite like anything else I had on my playlists - Chotto Ikashita PURE BOY by Morning Musume, which had been released as a B-side back in 2002. Obsessed, I soon hunted down as much Morning Musume music as I could illegally download. One of the many tracks I would soon have on repeat was their 1999 mega hit, LOVE MACHINE. I was entranced by this group of girls and their fun and lively music. My Momusu - and Hello!Project - stannage would even eclipse my Ayu infatuation in time.
Fast forward a bit to 2009 and another girl group came onto my radar - this time a Korean one called Girls' Generation, with the preeminent Gee. From there I began expanding from my Ayu, Momusu and Jpop roots and listening to other Kpop GGs, like Rainbow, then Brown Eyed Girls, and then (here's where the post becomes relevant) After School. Each time I discovered a new one I was interested in, I collected whatever songs of theirs I could find to add to my playlists and then proceeded to jam. I didn't really research the groups much, I just enjoyed listening to them and how Kpop felt so different from Hello!Project's girl groups' music, though I still loved the latter.
So now please imagine my feeling of utter confusion as I sat there listening to After School for the first time - and heard the unmistakeable sound of LOVE MACHINE. I was literally just
monkey-puppet-omg-shock-gif.gif

and had to go on a search to figure out what the heck was going on. And the answer of course was as @vague stated in the write-up. From there, learning that AS' concept was initially inspired by Momusu/H!P piqued my interest in them and I've been a fan ever since.
Anyway, that's why I had to give Dream Girl a 10.

Fff girl I love MoMusu for the most part but you can’t say I’m wrong!
"The mere existence of Dream Girl means that somewhere in the space time continuum, Kahi and Maki Goto have collaborated in some form. Imagine an After School cover of SOME BOYS! TOUCH!"
Side A SOME BOYS TOUCH Side B Glass No Pumps. Hmmm. The excellence.

VVMFQTM.gif

RBwsC6x.gif

UWZDnBF.gif

PLAY GIRLZ

Grade: 7.685
Honor roll: 11×1 (@Macsun), 10×2 (@junglefish, @eatyourself), 9.5×1 (@ysev)
Drop-outs: 4×1 (@Hurricane Drunk), 5×1 (@Vixen), 6×1 (@eyeline)
@Love Deluxe's score: 8.25
@vague's score: 8.5

5 ballots: #38, 8.450 avg.
10 ballots: #40, 8.000 avg.
15 ballots: #40, 7.967 avg.
20 ballots: #40, 7.875 avg.
25 ballots: #39, 7.900 avg.
31 ballots: #45, 7.685 avg.

"PLAY GIRLZ" is the first track from After School's debut single album, "New Schoolgirl", released on January 15, 2009. Its lyrics were written by Question and it was composed and arranged by Brave Brothers. "PLAY GIRLZ" was promoted on music shows alongside "AH" during the group's debut week of stages.

"PLAY GIRLZ" would serve as After School's introduction to Korea, as Kahi and Jung-A performed the song in a medley with their labelmate, Son Dambi, during the 2008 SBS Gayo Daejeon yearend music festival. The Korean media praised After School's dancing ability and speculated that Son Dambi would be abandoning her solo career to join the group.

"PLAY GIRLZ" has had a continued impact on After School's career: it was chosen as their fandom name, it was used as the title of their reality show in 2010, and it was also the title of their first Japanese album in 2012.

Untitled1-copy.png
(8.25) — "I'm just realizing now that Kahi-Jungah-Bekah were basically a sub-unit the entire debut era, before UEE joined during Diva. 2 out of the 3 songs on New Schoolgirl only feature those 3, and AH barely has much of any Jooyeon and Soyoung. The Nicole-Melody-Carmit of it all ffff! Play Girlz houses some of Kahi's and Jungah's best vocal moments. Also WHAT an outing, that Music Core performance was a masterclass in presence."

Untitled-1-copy.png
(8.5) — "I like this song more as After School's mission statement or w/e than to actually listen to, tbh. I have to say, though, they really performed the hell out of this every single time."​

@Macsun (11) — "First track in their discography showcasing how hard they could go and how sultry they can get. This song encapsulates most of their sound."

@eatyourself (10) — "I don't care it's so short, those synths alone deserve a 10."

@roblognick (9) — "Love this intro which absolutely does not flow into AH very well at all but oh well."

@SloMover (8) — "What an absolutely BLISTERING way to introduce the group. Absolute fire and total nostalgia with Brave Sound's trademark (albeit crunchy ddd) electropop."

@berserkboi (8) — "Noisy but boppy and infectious!"

@GeiPanda (7.5) — "The instrumental surprised me. Let me break the ice?"

@M24 (7.25) — "I definitely like the beat, it's a good intro and builds up nicely for 'Ah'. My favorite bit is Jungah's 'ttaeron geochimepshi' line. Having said that, there's not much to unpack here, as it's so short. A 7.25 will have to suffice, because I also prefer Let's Step Up and Let's Do It in terms of intros."

@eyeline (6) — "Gives me early monrose album track vibes."

@Vixen (5) — "The rap influenced bits are the worst parts of the song, but the more 'melodic' ones aren't half bad... Overall, it's just very inessential in their discography, so I can't see myself giving this anything above a 5."​

8aa98fc125202bf6a31b746c22c8af3f9c0bf823.png

ij8FSaa.gif

etiVE5P.gif

4wXxFZf.gif

Lady Luck

Grade: 7.694
Honor roll: 10×1 (@BEST FICTION), 9.5×2 (@junglefish, @Attis), 9.25×1 (@Macsun)
Drop-outs: 5×2 (@chrisjche, @eyeline), 6×2 (@Hurricane Drunk, @eatyourself), 6.5×1 (@RUNAWAY)
@Love Deluxe's score: 8.25
@vague's score: 8

5 ballots: #54, 7.900 avg.
10 ballots: #44, 7.950 avg.
15 ballots: #43, 7.767 avg.
20 ballots: #45, 7.575 avg.
25 ballots: #46, 7.550 avg.
31 ballots: #44, 7.694 avg.

"Lady Luck" is the first track from After School's fourth Japanese single, Lady Luck / Dilly Dally, released on June 13, 2012. Its lyrics were written by Reika Yuki, it was composed by Pessi Levanto and Kyösti Salokorpi, and arranged by Jun Suyama. The Lady Luck / Dilly Dally single was Kahi's final release as an After School member.

The Lady Luck / Dilly Dally single debuted at #3 on the Oricon daily charts, but ultimately peaked at #6 for the week. It sold 13,424 copies in its first week and 17,572 copies in total, making it the 393rd best-selling single in Japan for 2012.

In the press release for the single, avex described "Lady Luck" as a "cheerful, mellow song that is different from anything After School has done before but might appeal more to the Japanese audience ... With this single, After School keeps growing the image of a stylish group while trying to get their music marketed around the type of audiences who usually follow groups like Dream, Flower, Happiness, and 'gyaru' icons like Itano Tomomi. This means they're trying to reach more for a younger female fanbase, to keep gaining fans who will make their fandom grow".

"Lady Luck" was selected as the CM song for Samantha Thavasa's "Samantha Muse ALL STARS" campaign. After School modeled the Samantha Thavas handbags in the music video, in every televised live performance to promote the single, and even on their first Japanese tour.

The After School members don't seem to have any love for "Lady Luck". In an interview with Shanghai TV, Jung-A recalled having to dance with the Samantha Thavas handbags for the single, saying, "What was that?!" The members have also spoken about how embarrassing it was to film the cutesy expressions used in the MV's close-up shots.

Untitled1-copy.png
(8.25) — "Even though it was so off-brand from After School's usual, the Lady Luck visual direction is one of my absolute favorites. The ponytails, the billowy skirts, the pastel color-blocking where each color combination managed to match the respective member perfectly? Excellence. I'm mid-listen as I'm typing this, and why did that random electronic instrumental breakdown completely pass me by all these years?"

Untitled-1-copy.png
(8) — "@Love Deluxe and I have talked a lot about how this was likely the blueprint for whatever second Japanese album they may have released had Kahi not graduated. It's hard to say Kahi leaving is a blessing, but it did give us Dress to kill over 12x 'Lady Luck's at least"​

@Attis (9.5) — "Bubblegum bop yas, feed me these unnecessary blip blops and big bright chorus!"

@Macsun (9.25) — "A nice appetizer to the MAIN MEAL...
The breakdown towards the end had to have inspired FLASHBACK a bit."

@roblognick (8) — "Very cute. I'm cross this is the one that got the video, and not Dilly Dally."

@berserkboi (8) — "Cute but make it a bop!"

@M24 (8) — "I can't believe these are the same girls who would be pole dancing in their korean comeback a year later ddd. It's a cute song, but the only interesting bit is the bridge. I can't believe this was the lead single though, when Dilly Dally was right there! Fuck Pledis! Wow guess I'm becoming a stan already."

@SloMover (7) — "Do you think singing this song while parading around in pastel skirts and modelling those tacky Samantha Thavasa handbags is what caused Kahi to graduate?"

@RUNAWAY (6.5) — "Isn't this the ugly purse song?"​

97f99c06eb3815730f390a0998398362360a5e3f.png

Last edited:
Sorta shocked the girls hated the song so much. They sold the hell out of it! Despite it being a bit too cutesy for my taste, they made me a believer.

dBAdlEq.gif

d5de919d7d86832fc9de087f21df329ff4dfd485.png

adeMClV.gif

Miss Futuristic

Grade: 7.798
Honor roll: 10×1 (@Remorque), 9×5 (@evilsin, @Attis, @Ana Raquel, @Slice of Life, @M24), 8.5×1 (@RUNAWAY)
Drop-outs: 6×4 (@singabob, @yuuurei, @eatyourself, @Vixen), 6.5×1 (@berserkboi), 7×3 (@Crisp X, @ysev, @Wills)
@Love Deluxe's score: 7.75
@vague's score: 8

5 ballots: #64, 7.600 avg.
10 ballots: #40, 8.000 avg.
15 ballots: #41, 7.933 avg.
20 ballots: #41, 7.763 avg.
25 ballots: #44, 7.700 avg.
31 ballots: #43, 7.798 avg.

"Miss Futuristic" is the ninth track from After School's first Japanese album, PLAYGIRLZ, released on March 14, 2012. Its lyrics were written by Shoko Fujibayashi and it was composed and arranged by Nao Tanaka. "Miss Futuristic" is a unit song performed by Kahi, Juyeon, U-ie, and Lizzy.

For the PLAYGIRLZ album, After School was split into two units - Jung-A, Raina, Nana, and E-young for "BROKEN HEART" and Kahi, Juyeon, U-ie, and Lizzy for "Miss Futuristic" - to allow the members to showcase "different charms". In an interview with Oricon Style in March 2012, Lizzy had this to say about her unit song: "It's not that we changed the way we sing in particular [for the unit songs], but instead of when the eight of us sing together, there are now more parts where you can hear the voices of each member. You can't get to know the differences of our individual voices as well when we sing as eight." The irony of Lizzy's statement when "Miss Futuristic" has all that overused vocoder drowning out their individual voices so you can't even tell who's singing what nn.

Untitled1-copy.png
(7.75) — "Yasutaka Nakata cosplay aside, it's so catchy and this specific line-up of members is kind of a serve."

Untitled-1-copy.png
(8) — "I'm sorry to all of y'all comparing this to a Nakata track... I just don't hear it. His tracks are way more polished than this mess (the good kind!) nn."​

@Attis (9) — "I love Capsule <3"

@M24 (9) — "It's pretty good! It's not stellar, but it doesn't need to be. I like the post-chorus a lot, the 'wanna be stronger cos I'm a soldier...' part. I think out of the two unofficial subunit songs in this album, I prefer Broken Heart to this."

@roblognick (8) — "I swear I've heard this on an advert for something... It's a bit Kylie 'Speakerphone' isn't it?"

@SloMover (8) — "This Kesha rip-off is so cute."

@Macsun (7.5) — "One of their weaker Japanese tracks..."

@Wills (7) — "This immediately triggers the rotted PC Music lobe in my brain, but sadly it doesn't quite come together from there."

@berserkboi (6.5) — "Sadly they do not pull off this Perfume B-Side very well..."

@singabob (6) — "It's like the producers discovered vocoders and decided to use it way too much in this song. I do like the little breakdown in the middle 8 though."​

7ddbcf56f95c58bf269dade66c57cbefef7e146e.png

Last edited:
Oh, so a vocoder makes a Nakata Yasutaka track now, huh? This elimination is vile and the song deserves an 8+ average. Moreover there are worse tracks on your beloved "Dress to kill". I've sprained my neck, so lemme be bitter.

RUNAWAY

Staff member
he/him
Yeah I'm not hearing Perfume or Nakata at all in this song, and I never have. Surprised that so many people commented that but whatever. This has always been my least listened PLAYGIRLZ track so I'm not mad that it's gone.