The After School Discography Rate • FINISHED

In a perfect world this would've been the final ballad standing and Top20. Then again, the remaining "ballads" are all more on the mid-tempo side, so guess we can say that it was the last one standing.

X5ea4Dk.gif

652a2f85202d8b93e5797a64117bba5c895372f6.png

FYgJrPj.gif

When I Fall (2011 New Recordings)

Grade: 7.992
Honor roll: 10×2 (@evilsin, @Oleander), 9.25×1 (@Mikl C), 9×6 (@junglefish, @RUNAWAY, @ysev, @yuuurei, @berserkboi, @KimLippington)
Drop-outs: 4×1 (@eyeline), 6×2 (@Ana Raquel, @SloMover), 6.75×1 (@GeiPanda)
@Love Deluxe's score: 8.5
@vague's score: 8.75

5 ballots: #34, 8.700 avg.
10 ballots: #38, 8.250 avg.
15 ballots: #37, 8.033 avg.
20 ballots: #39, 7.950 avg.
25 ballots: #37, 7.990 avg.
31 ballots: #39, 7.992 avg.

"When I Fall (2011 New Recordings)" is the twelfth track from After School's first Korean album, VIRGIN, released on April 28, 2011. Its lyrics were written by Kahi; it was composed by Magnus Lidehäll, Jacob Olofsson, and Viktoria Sandström; and this version was re-arranged by G-high.

"When I Fall (2011 New Recordings)" is, of course, a re-recorded version of "When I Fall" from the 너 때문에 single album, released November 25, 2009. After School also re-recorded two of their previous title tracks, "너 때문에" and "뱅(Bang)!", for VIRGIN, but the differences were negligible and we decided not to include them as individual tracks in the rate.

Untitled1-copy.png
(8.5) — "The crescendo + expanded bridge is a nice touch, I do use the original much more though."

Untitled-1-copy.png
(8.75) — "The original mix >>> but they're both pretty great tbh. I do like the new production flourishes courtesy of G-high, but there's just sumn about the stripped-back vibe of the original."​

@berserkboi (9) — "This gave me a little Love Takes Time, a little Unfaithful - plenty of prettiness!"

@Attis (8.5) — "Eh there are not many differences than the original."

@singabob (8.25) — "An improvement to an already good song."

@M24 (8) — "This instrumentation makes the song a little better than the original. Not by that much though."

@Macsun (7.75) — "Interesting alternate take but doesn't improve it much."

@roblognick (7) — "Honestly the original sounds more crisp, more harmonious. Was this necessary?"

@Vixen (7) — "I do think I prefer this new recording."

@SloMover (6) — "The original is much better."

@eyeline (4) — "Unnecessary - the instrumental is so jarring."​

1274530bec1621415135a8fc6d031fb93bc167a9.png

OFZWXU8.gif

rF5rG8s.gif

btbiqTS.gif

HOLLYWOOD

Grade: 8.016
Honor roll: 10×1 (@Remorque), 9.5×4 (@berserkboi, @Conan, @eatyourself, @Oleander), 9.25×1 (@Mikl C)
Drop-outs: 4×1 (@eyeline), 5×1 (@SloMover), 5.75×1 (@chrisjche)
@Love Deluxe's score: 8.25
@vague's score: 8.75

5 ballots: #43, 8.300 avg.
10 ballots: #45, 7.925 avg.
15 ballots: #46, 7.633 avg.
20 ballots: #44, 7.700 avg.
25 ballots: #41, 7.850 avg.
31 ballots: #38, 8.016 avg.

"HOLLYWOOD" is the second track from After School's fourth Korean single album, RED, released on July 20, 2011. Its lyrics were written by Jang Jiwon; it was composed by Hermanni Kovalainen, Lasse Mellberg, and Petri Matara; and was arranged by Fraktal.

For the release of their fourth single album, After School was split into two fan-voted units, RED and BLUE, with each releasing their own version of the single album. Kahi, Jung-A, U-ie, and Nana were voted into After School RED, while Juyeon, Raina, Lizzy, and E-Young were chosen for After School BLUE. The b-sides for each version of the album, "HOLLYWOOD" and "Lady" respectively, feature all eight members.

Untitled1-copy.png
(8.25) — "I don't have many strong opinions about the song Hollywood, but one time I went clubbing in Hollywood and there was a writhing figure behind us, dancing to Kim Petras while my friends and I were waiting for our drinks at the bar. I turned around and my friend said 'oh that's Adore Delano'."

Untitled-1-copy.png
(8.75) — "This song outlasting 'Lady' is a travesty tbh."​

@berserkboi (9.5) — "Great song, though considering what we now consciously know about Hollywood, LA - yikes.gif"

@eatyourself (9.5) — "I don't think the chorus lives up to its Lady Gaga vibe but I love it anyway."

@Ana Raquel (8.5) — "FABULOUS bridge, but the chorus is quite weak, sadly."

@Macsun (8.5) — "Another solid b-side. Unfortunately the chorus is very weak compared to the verses. Still boppable."

@M24 (8.5) — "The verses are incredible! Too bad the chorus is so... subdued, which is another complaint I had with Night into the Sky. Otherwise I'd give it a higher score."

@GeiPanda (8) — "Just as corny as Lady, but more successful. Yes, the dupstep drop is super dated, but still a bop."

@Vixen (8) — "This is much better than 'In the night sky' isn't it dddd."

@SloMover (5) — "This is crunchy as fuck."​

62fc97f9b6a07904c4f3fddc55e508b59eb70549.png

"HOLLYWOOD" is fine, but it could've gone 10 eliminations earlier and I wouldn't have batted and eye. "Dress to kill" stands for some culling at this point. The songs are good, but not that good.

tonight we're losing our last remaining ballad . . .

brExsVn.gif

3cefc187d56228d59f69074b64c56e549f58f10a.png

s6WzyOs.gif

When I Fall

Grade: 8.024
Honor roll: 10×3 (@RUNAWAY, @evilsin, @Love Deluxe), 9.75×1 (@vague), 9.5×1 (@Slice of Life)
Drop-outs: 4×1 (@Ana Raquel), 6×1 (@Vixen), 6.5×1 (@GeiPanda)
@Love Deluxe's score: 10
@vague's score: 9.75

5 ballots: #21, 9.200 avg.
10 ballots: #35, 8.400 avg.
15 ballots: #35, 8.233 avg.
20 ballots: #35, 8.150 avg.
25 ballots: #36, 8.170 avg.
31 ballots: #37, 8.024 avg.

"When I Fall" is the second track from After School's second Korean single album, 너 때문에, released on November 25, 2009. Its lyrics were written by Kahi; it was composed by Magnus Lidehäll, Jacob Olofsson, and Viktoria Sandström; and was arranged by Seo Jaeha. "When I Fall" is a unit song performed by Kahi, Jung-A, Juyeon, and Raina, although the other three members do provide backing vocals during live performances.

"When I Fall" was the first time Kahi was allowed to write the lyrics for an After School song. During an interview with The STAR in 2009, Kahi revealed the backstory of the song's lyrics: "I have a lot of pain and I've experienced a lot of hardships, and so when I was writing lyrics only sad, heart-ripping lyrics came out. But when I listened to 'When I Fall', the melody really wasn't sad. I wrote the lyrics in four hours, but the original lyrics were rejected by the company. Later, I asked why they were rejected and Pledis said they were too sad and it might be hard for audiences to empathize with them. When I attempted to rewrite the lyrics, I kept deluding myself by saying, 'Yes, I'm falling in love and the world is bright now'."

After "너 때문에" single promotions wrapped up on January 24, 2010, it was rumored through many articles that "When I Fall" would be promoted next, though it was never officially announced by Pledis. Promotions for the song started on February 5, 2010, with the group performing on KBS Music Bank. This follow-up promotion meant that After School was still promoting the 너 때문에 single album more than two months after it was released in November 2009, and also meant that After School were still promoting the album just over a month before their next comeback with "뱅(Bang)!" in March 2010.

While all of this was taking place, After School - Kahi and U-ie, in particular - were also juggling variety show appearances, drama filming, practicing choreography for special dance battle performances, and performing on the year-end award shows. Late 2009 / early 2010 was one of the busiest times for After School, as they were still riding the high of their Gaon #1-peaking single, "너 때문에", but were also learning to play the drums and prepping for the BANG! album release.

Due to these promotions, despite being released months before the introduction of the Gaon charts, "When I Fall" still managed to peak at #98 on the Gaon Digital chart in February 2010.

Untitled1-copy.png
(10) — "One of my absolute favorite ballads to come from 2nd generation K-Pop. My illegally acquired mp3 download of When I Fall glitched during Raina's bridge and I thought it was a deliberate stylistic choice for like 3 years until I heard the actual version."

Untitled-1-copy.png
(9.75) — "Juyeon being the only one of -extras- members to join the vocal line for this song is so iconic to me."​

@RUNAWAY (10) — "the mid-tempo single that we were robbed of! Honestly the AMOUNT I played this back in the day and it STILL sounds so fucking good. Vocal legends!"

@junglefish (9) — "Rating this higher than it deserves because it's super pretty and I know the balladphobics are gonna tank it."

@eatyourself (8.75) — "High School Musical OST wants what When I Fall has."

@Attis (8.5) — "Good ballad."

@KimLippington (8.5) — "It's dated and of its time but the perfect song to highlight and introduce Raina's voice in to the mix. She sounds gorg on that chorus."

@SloMover (8) — "One thing that I lowkey loved about After School was just how strong their mid-tempos and ballads were. In a time where other groups were filling up their releases with overblown Disney-esque OST type ballads, After School were releasing contemporary slower songs like When I Fall. Most of the time."

@eyeline (8) — "Kind of sappy but I really like it. Great belting moments and some nice background vocals too!"

@M24 (7.75) — "It's not a bad ballad, the chorus is lovely. And Raina's middle-8, whew. That alone justifies my 8 (actually giving this version a 7.75 though because I think I prefer the new recording)."

@Macsun (7.5) — "They perform ballads well but I'm just not a fan of the typical kpop structure. Another great showcase for Raina. I usually don't listen to the audio much but love it when they perform it live."

@berserkboi (7) — "There's my boppy ballad!"

@Vixen (6) — "'I wanna call you my boo my boo' ddd."​

a782b8498520611d1875cfe7faef2fa4a369b8f8.png

happy merry Christmas from @Love Deluxe and me to all of you who celebrate! and a happy Saturday if you don't!!! ♡♡♡

SNuda0N.gif

kNYUg4E.gif

wMl2L4F.gif

(AMOLED)

Grade: 8.032
Honor roll: 10×3 (@RUNAWAY, @berserkboi, @Mikl C), 9.5×3 (@Conan, @eatyourself, @vague), 9×3 (@SloMover, @yuuurei, @Hurricane Drunk)
Drop-outs: 5×1 (@Vixen), 6×1 (@Remorque), 6.25×1 (@KimLippington)
@Love Deluxe's score: 8
@vague's score: 9.5

5 ballots: #31, 8.850 avg.
10 ballots: #37, 8.325 avg.
15 ballots: #38, 8.017 avg.
20 ballots: #36, 8.075 avg.
25 ballots: #34, 8.260 avg.
31 ballots: #36, 8.032 avg.

"아몰레드 (AMOLED)" is After School's first collaboration single with labelmate Son Dambi, released on July 23, 2009. Its lyrics were written by Brave Brothers and it was composed and arranged by Brave Brothers and Jeonjaeng Byeoldeului (GALACTIKA). "아몰레드 (AMOLED)" was used as the CF song for Samsung Anycall's Haptic AMOLED phones. Only Dambi, Kahi, Bekah, and U-ie recorded lines for the song.

Fresh off the success of her first full album, Type B : Back To 80's, and its Brave Brothers-produced title track, "토요일밤에 (Saturday Night)", Pledis announced that Son Dambi would join After School in a "special project group" to release a new single in July for Samsung Anycall, of which Dambi had been the face of since April that same year.

Originally announced to be released on July 16, Pledis announced the single would be pushed back a week due to both acts' busy schedules, saying, "Son Dambi and the After School members are currently expressing fatigue from working on this project group and also attending various events and TV programs." After School were preparing for their next comeback and Dambi was filming the SBS drama Dream at the time of the single's announcement in addition to their variety show appearances.

The month before the release of "아몰레드 (AMOLED)", both Dambi and After School had been selected to be the opening acts for the Pussycat Dolls' Doll Domination Tour date in South Korea on June 6. Dambi and After School would join forces once again later that year to perform PCD's "When I Grow Up" on MBC's Gayo Daejun 2009 year-end show.

"아몰레드 (AMOLED)" was released before the Gaon Charts were established on December 27, 2009, so its chart peak and sales data are unavailable. It did, however, reach the top ten on the Soribada and Mnet weekly charts and the top twenty of several other real-time download charts in the weeks following its release.

Untitled1-copy.png
(8) — "Soyoung not getting a single line for her goodbye single? Soyoung having her debut song and goodbye song in the same year? Icon behavior. AMOLED and Nivea Lips by Brown Eyed Girls exist in the same sonic universe to me, 2009-2010 had such catchy CF songs."

Untitled-1-copy.png
(9.5) — "I'm sorry but this is so iconic and I can't believe it only made it to #36. I don't think y'all are the hags you purport to be."​

@berserkboi (10) — "Perfection!"

@eatyourself (9.5) — "Why is this ad song better than most K-pop of today? Am I just old?"

@SloMover (9) — "This song just reminds me of 2009, I was OBSESSED with this song when I was getting into K-Pop."

@Macsun (8.5) — "One of the most iconic choreographies to a kpop song. It's mostly Kahi and Bekah (and the wonderful Son Dambi) that makes an impact but it has a really catchy chorus."

@singabob (8.25) — "Son Dambi is amazing."

@roblognick (8) — "This is pretty good and rivals SNSD's Visual Dreams for my favourite CM song. Hadn't actually heard this at all until this rate."

@M24 (7) — "This feels like a very of-its-time demo. I get that it's for a commercial, so it was probably the point to repeat Amoled as many times as possible, but I get easily bored of it. Having watched the MV, I wonder if today's cellphones will look as ridiculous in ten years as 2010 phones do."

@eyeline (6.5) — "I remember only knowing this existed like a few years ago. It's cute but the video is such a serve."

@Vixen (5) — "The autotune and cheap electro is a little tew tew much for me, but I mean, there's the idea of a decent song under there, I feel like?"​

cb5f38a0fbf550a39117f514ab972fc6fd134508.png

gagQr2S.gif

JjGwFxJ.gif

NmJH00A.gif

(Wonder boy)

Grade: 8.048
Honor roll: 10×8 (@junglefish, @RUNAWAY, @Attis, @ysev, @berserkboi, @eatyourself, @GeiPanda, @Oleander), 9.25×3 (@singabob, @M24, @BEST FICTION), 9×4 (@Ana Raquel, @Slice of Life, @Wills, @vague)
Drop-outs: 3×1 (@eyeline), 4.5×1 (@Hurricane Drunk), 5×2 (@chrisjche, @Cotton Park)
@Love Deluxe's score: 8.75
@vague's score: 9

5 ballots: #16, 9.400 avg.
10 ballots: #27, 8.700 avg.
15 ballots: #31, 8.500 avg.
20 ballots: #37, 8.013 avg.
25 ballots: #43, 7.790 avg.
31 ballots: #35, 8.048 avg.

"원더보이 (Wonder boy)" is the title track from After School's fourth Korean single album, BLUE, released on July 20, 2011. Its lyrics were written by Ahn Youngmin, it was composed by Cho Youngsoo, and arranged by Lee Yoojin. "원더보이 (Wonder boy)" is performed by the subunit After School BLUE, made up of Juyeon, Raina, Lizzy, and E-Young.

On June 17, 2011, the day Bekah announced her graduation, rumors began circulating that After School would be divided into two separate units: After School Originals consisting of Kahi, Jung-A, Juyeon, Raina, and Nana and Violet Girls consisting of Lizzy, E-Young, and three of the Pre-School Girls, Ara, Yoonjo, and Kyungmin. On June 20, two new After School albums were listed for pre-order on Korea sites with the release date of July 21, giving even more credence to the rumored units.

Pledis confirmed the subunits on June 24 with the following press release: "For After School's fourth single, which is currently scheduled for release in mid-July, the girls will be splitting into two units and will be making a comeback on the same exact date. Not only will they have a sexy and powerful image concept, but also another concept that aims to contrast against that to bring out a variety of different images through this promotion cycle."

The After School members began teasing the subunits through Pledis' Twitter account on July 4 with the announcement of a "match the members" event that would last until July 8. On that same day, Pledis also released a press release announcing fans would be able to vote for the final line-ups of each subunit: "During After School's second fan meeting on July 9, we will calculate the fans' votes and decide on the units' line-ups." Two days later, on July 6, Pledis tweeted another teaser and clarified the unit line-ups would be selected "50% by fan votes, 20% by fans, 20% by member opinions, and 10% by employee opinions" and reiterated the final line-ups would be decided on July 9.
6831a23ec3215698d50c77003477b68b8d09d997.png

On July 10, the day after After School's fan meeting, Pledis announced the final results of the fan vote, saying, "A.S. RED will feature members Kahi, Jung-A, U-ie, and Nana, while A.S. BLUE will feature members Juyeon, Raina, Lizzy, and E-Young. The units are especially meaningful, in that it's a direct reflection of the votes made by fans." They also revealed each unit's concepts: RED would have a "sexy, powerful concept", while BLUE would "cater to the summer heat with a sweet and outgoing concept." Just four days after the line-up announcements, Pledis released the first teaser photos for both units on July 14, and MV teasers followed on July 19, the day before both albums' release.

"원더보이 (Wonder boy)" was met with a few minor controversies following its release. First, the song and choreography were accused of plagiarizing Fin.K.L's "Forever Love", and then the white garter belts worn in their MV and first comeback stage were deemed inappropriate by netizens. Fans were also disappointed that BLUE's promotions were cut short, lasting only three performances, due to the full group's impending Japanese debut in August. In typical Pledis messery, the entire teaser period leading up to subunits lasted longer than the time they actually spent promoting said units.

"원더보이 (Wonder boy)" peaked at #15 on the Gaon Digital Chart and sold 1,087,842 downloads in 2011, making it the 187th best-selling song of that year. The single album, BLUE, peaked at #18 on the Gaon Album Chart and has sold 10,618 physical copies in total.

Untitled1-copy.png
(8.75) — "This is so fantastic. It's the way Jooyeon performs with 1000% more fervor in their cute releases, like Wonder Boy and Lady Luck, versus the more hard-hitting concepts ddd. Pledis really blew through all the mv budget by sending AS Red to the desert, that AS Blue got like 2 cardboard boxes and some balloons huh."

Untitled-1-copy.png
(9) — "I've always preferred this single to RED's, so I'm a little disappointed (but not surprised) that this is leaving first, especially since it was beating '밤 하늘에' for the first half of the voting period. Really enjoy the styling for this, too; the garters are so cute!!"​

@junglefish (10) — "Honestly always enjoyed this more than In the night sky dd. It's basically an Orange Caramel song without Nana and with Jooyeon and E-young added. I'm living for that intro and when the chorus explodes, UGH. I'll forgive the questionable vocals."

@Attis (10) — "God I love dramatic cute shit."

@berserkboi (10) — "Anime BOP!! They sound a little like Perfume here!"

@eatyourself (10) — "It's like Gfriend on coke."

@GeiPanda (10) — "E-young getting a lion's share of the lyrics. Juyeon looking bemused at the unpredictable vocals coming out of her own mouth. NU'EST being cute backup dancers. I love this."

@singabob (9.25) — "I remember being so excited when it was announced that After School would come out as Red and Blue until everyone was jizzing over In the Night Sky (rightfully so) that I felt that this song was severely overlooked. Such a different vibe to their usual but it just works. It's like a really good anime song."

@M24 (9.25) — "Lovely synthy melody in the instrumental, kind of reminds me of Sweetune's production. Raina's vocals really shine in here, I love her high notes in the chorus and middle-8."

@Ana Raquel (9) — "This screams j-pop in a certain way. dddd i suppose there wasn't a jp version of it, right?"

@Vixen (8.75) — "It was very cute song."

@KimLippington (7.75) — "The IUification of girl groups around 2010/11 was a dark time but Raina pulled it off well."

@SloMover (7.5) — "In The Night Sky is much much better but Wonder Boy has a charm to it as well. I wish it had a touch of zany like an Orange Caramel release to give it a bit of character. She's a cute girl, but cute next to gorgeous..."

@Macsun (7.5) — "Love the concept of diving the group for a bit showcasing their sweet and salty side. It does seem like a Orange Caramel cast off but Raina delivers as always."

@eyeline (3) — "Ugh I hated this concept and this song but I suppose a necessary evil so that we could get In the Night Sky."​

75add388fee51d02f953313ae0fe93236dc82301.png