The After School Discography Rate • FINISHED

Popping in with some more Kahi / Mama The Idol news. The group performed their new single (yet to be released) “WooAh HIP” at a basketball game. Here’s a fan cam and Kahi remains THE icon.

m7VBSp5.gif

xp7c6fc.gif

auHKw4a.gif

Eyeline ( / )

Grade: 9.516
Honor roll: 11×1 (@BEST FICTION), 10×15 (@junglefish, @evilsin, @roblognick, @Slice of Life, @yuuurei, @eyeline, @Conan, @KimLippington, @Macsun, @Cotton Park, @GeiPanda, @M24, @Oleander, @Love Deluxe, @vague), 9.75×1 (@Mikl C)
Drop-outs: 7.5×1 (@SloMover), 8.25×1 (@singabob), 8.5×2 (@chrisjche, @Vixen)
@Love Deluxe's score: 10
@vague's score: 10

5 ballots: #15, 9.450 avg.
10 ballots: #9, 9.475 avg.
15 ballots: #11, 9.283 avg.
20 ballots: #8, 9.413 avg.
25 ballots: #8, 9.460 avg.
31 ballots: #8, 9.516 avg.

"Eyeline (透視 / 투시)" (tòushì / tusi; perspective) is the third track from After School's fifth Korean maxi-single, FLASHBACK, released on June 20, 2012. Its lyrics were written by Minsul and it was composed and arranged by Pitchline. "Eyeline (透視 / 투시)" is a solo song performed by Nana. It charted at #191 on the Gaon Digital Chart.

In the song description on the Pledis website, "Eyeline (透視 / 투시)" is described as a "solo song from Nana, who has recently emerged as an icon in the fashion industry, that has a hidden meaning of 'the direction of one's gaze'. The lyrics by Minsul express the heart of a woman who has become obsessed with love through her eye line. It will captivate your ears with a melody that blends with Nana's unique and alluring charms."

"Eyeline (透視 / 투시)" is one of three solo b-sides Nana released while in After School and Orange Caramel, alongside "Close your eyes" and "Nemureru Mori", making her second only to Raina in terms of solo b-sides. Under the moniker of After School, she is the only member to release a solo who doesn't hold the position of main vocal in the group. This song's title is a fitting one for Nana, as she was known for her trademark eyeliner while in the group.

Untitled1-copy.png
(10) — "So glad this made Top 10, just as it deserves! Someone said this sounds like Jam (Turn It Up) by Kim Kardashian, and I rebuke those claims but also can't unhear the parallels... Random thing I noticed, but her diction being crystal clear crisp is such a Virgo quality, I truly love that for her."

Untitled-1-copy.png
(10) — "How perfect is it that the last b-side standing is the one from the last After School member standing? I miss her voice so much, and I still regularly listen to this and occasionally listen to her OST from 2020 - and they couldn't be more different nn. Hope she gives us more music someday, even if it's just another coffee shop-esque OST."​

@roblognick (10) — "A great follow up to Flashback."

@eyeline (10) — "I mean... *looks at username*"

@KimLippington (10) — "Here's how Eyeline can still win a Daesang:"

@Macsun (10) — "Yas Queen Nana has arrived! The pop princess that never was. I think the song suffers a little by the end, however would have made a great solo effort for Nana."

@M24 (10) — "Amazing, incredible, a perfect electropop banger! I can't give it any less than a 10. That chorus is a wonder, they don't make anything like that these days, me thinks. The verses are very well-done too, I never lose interest in the song during its 3 minute run. It's produced by a production team called 'Pitchline'... according to Discogs, Eyeline seems to be the only original song they ever made. That's kind of surprising, how do you come up with something like this for your first and last song?"

@Attis (9) — "Fuck you Pledis for not giving Nana her deserved solo career."

@berserkboi (9) — "Very Girls Aloud!"

@singabob (8.25) — "This song is good but for such a banger, it can also do with stronger vocals."

@SloMover (7.5) — "The chorus is a bit weak but Nana doing an icy electropop number automatically gets a few points from me."​

993ecf9251de69cfad2f319aa15c5017c7b9fec4.png

Yes I’m shocked EYELINE lasted this long but it’s well deserved. Fitting song in production style that matches with the allure of Nana…Mysterious, no nonsense, and deceptively sweet. It’s really too bad she never went the solo singer route.

Before this rate I did not realise this was a solo song! How stupid am I?

It's absolutely brilliant and one of those songs that sounds like the sort of thing you'd hear from Britney in the 00s. Nana, princess of K-pop!

X3eerPo.gif

rL6Jx5L.gif

3lmxaER.gif

Grade: 9.565
Honor roll: 11×2 (@RUNAWAY, @Slice of Life), 10×19 (@Crisp X, @evilsin, @Ana Raquel, @roblognick, @ysev, @chrisjche, @yuuurei, @eyeline, @berserkboi, @Conan, @KimLippington, @Mikl C, @Cotton Park, @eatyourself, @BEST FICTION, @Vixen, @Oleander, @Love Deluxe, @vague), 9.5×2 (@junglefish, @Hurricane Drunk)
Drop-outs: 5×1 (@Wills), 7.5×2 (@Attis, @Remorque)

5 ballots: #6, 9.950 avg.
10 ballots: #6, 9.725 avg.
15 ballots: #7, 9.483 avg.
20 ballots: #6, 9.613 avg.
25 ballots: #6, 9.630 avg.
31 ballots: #7, 9.565 avg.

"첫사랑" (cheot sarang; first love) is the title track from After School's sixth Korean maxi-single, 첫사랑, released on June 13, 2013. It was fully written and arranged by Brave Brothers. "첫사랑" peaked at #7 on the Gaon Digital Chart and sold 596,036 downloads in 2013, making it the 144th best-selling song of that year. The 첫사랑 maxi-single album peaked at #11 on the Gaon Album Chart and sold 13,563 physical copies in total.

At the start of their career, After School and Brave Brothers were frequent collaborators, releasing three title tracks, two b-sides, and a CF song together just in 2009 alone. However, starting in 2010, they parted ways; Brave Brothers went on to work with SISTAR to great success, and After School began to diversify their title track repertoire with other producers. They briefly united again in 2011 when Brave Brothers wrote After School RED's title track, "밤 하늘에", but After School proper did not work with Brave Brothers again for nearly four years until the release of "첫사랑".

Following the end of "FLASHBACK" promotions in summer 2012, rumors began circulating online that the group was already preparing for their next comeback to be released in fall 2012. This obviously never happened, and there was never any statements directly from Pledis to confirm these initial plans. We do know, however, that one of the album's b-sides, "화장을 하다 울었어 (Make up & tears)", took a year to finish, so that may have led to the delay. The first official confirmation came on March 12, 2013 when former Pledis producer Jason Jaejoon Park tweeted all eight After School were recording their new single with Brave Brothers. The After School members continued to tease the impending comeback with U-ie announcing an April or May release date on March 19 and Orange Caramel teasing a June date at a May 2013 fan meeting.​

644bf6c953c8cb6072ebeebc5fc7562acd50b0ab.png

On May 23, 2013, Pledis announced through the Korean news site Nate that After School would make their comeback on June 13, and had been practicing a new skill for the past six months. The Pledis Twitter account released the first teaser for the maxi-single on May 29, followed by individual teasers of each member over the course of the week. On June 5, Pledis release the final teaser picture for the album: a topless shot of Nana asking "What's Next?" In an interview with Radio Star following the release of the single, Nana revealed the song's MV was originally meant to be more risque and feature additional scenes similar to her teaser, but they were ultimately cut from the final edit due to being "too provocative". Nana also revealed she was the only member who was willing to film such a scene as the other members were more conservative while she was more open-minded.​

f4440d1021cf114ba10dec642f2dd2f9d5d3a327.png

On June 6, Pledis released an MV teaser photo revealing After School's latest comeback was pole dancing. In an interview with 10Asia, Raina recalled after Pledis' CEO informed the members that their next comeback would have a "Las Vegas-style" concept, members discussed potential concepts including "circus and tightrope walking" before the pole dancing concept was finalized. She also admitted she was unsure of the concept at first, saying, "At first I was like 'what the hell?' but then after I imagined our performance, I felt it really refreshing." The members trained six hours a day, five days a week for around seven months, with Juyeon recalling, "When we release a single album, we prepare for a maximum of two months, but this time we prepared for over six months. We're not good enough to the point that we'd be able to be certified, but pole dancing is so difficult that even six months wasn't enough time for us." As the group's leader, Jung-A felt a "heavy sense of responsibility" and trained the longest, starting around two months before the rest of the group began training. When asked what the toughest concept the group had tried, they unanimously chose pole dancing, with Juyeon adding, "I wanted to die when I took the first lesson, but that would've set the whole group back, so I began to work harder" nn.​

0e9d0f4f7476ea9786d0c247bb2c227d439b0dec.png

The long training period took a toll on the members' bodies, though. Fans were concerned when Nana appeared with bruises covering her legs at a live event on May 4, 2013, and the group's social media posts also drew attention due to their bruised legs and bandaged hands. Their bruises were even used as a promotional tool during the group's June 15th appearance on Star King, and were so bad they were covered up with fake tattoos for the MV shoot. Three members, in particular, were severely injured: Lizzy, who sprained a leg ligament and was forced to sit out most of the MV filming and all promotional performances; Raina, who injured her hand and was unable to perform the pole choreographer; and Nana, who fell off the pole during a live performance and had to be hospitalized due to "severe shock and contusion to her pelvic region". Promotions for the song were halted shortly after Nana's injury.​

12db0691707c795cbeee14250e688bc60c1eb490.png

Perhaps, due in part to the shortened promotional schedule, "첫사랑" did not perform as well in Korea as the group's previous comebacks. Despite a solid start on the charts, the song's rankings had a slow decline by mid-way through promotions, and it only sold around half the amount as their previous single, "FLASHBACK", in the end. On top of this, After School did not promote on KBS' Music Bank during this time period, and there were rumors of bad blood between Pledis and KBS following U-ie's premature departure as an MC for Music Bank in March 2013. In fact, none of Pledis' artists were promoted on Music Bank during this time.​

MKzCAXY.gif

Kaeun | Jung-A | Juyeon & Nana | U-ie | E-Young

Although not quite the commercial smash it deserved to be, "첫사랑" further cemented After School's status as the premiere performance group in Korea. Before the song or its video was released, the members spoke about wanting to please their fans after all the hard work they'd put into making this comeback special. At their showcase for the maxi-single, Nana stated, "I hope a lot of people like our pole dance because we practiced for it for six months. I'm looking forward to performing it." They also spoke of wanting to break the stigma surrounding pole dancing in Korea during an interview with Billboard, with U-ie saying, "We wanted to break stereotypes. We wanted to change the way people feel uncomfortable because they think pole dancing is too racy. We want people to see it in a creative perspective. We want people to realize that pole art is a popular sport and, hopefully, that can make people want to learn it, too." And ultimately, they succeeded. The song's choreographer, Yoon Bohyun, told ASIAN BOSS, "After School was the biggest contributor in making pole dancing known in Korea. We grew so much thanks to After School."

Untitled1-copy.png
(10) — "That screech wail in the intro being the singular agent of chaos in this otherwise sleek song will never not be funny to me. Following Nana's trajectory and growth since 2009 was basically seeing her outpeak herself with every new comeback, but I think in First Love we finally got to see the fully realized Nana. Kaeun's delivery in the second verse is so killer, discography highlight for sure."

Untitled-1-copy.png
(10) — "This came out at a time when my interest in kpop was waning, but I do remember the hype around the pole dancing even then. God, this is such a good song and the video + choreography only enhance it."​

@RUNAWAY (11) — "THIS SONG IS EVERYTHING. I wasn't sure they would ever do a talent concept again after Kahi left, but holy fuck did they...Honestly this is one of my favorite K-pop songs of all time, probably in my top 10 to be honest. Literally everything about this entire concept was FLAWLESS. It was such a shame Lizzy couldn't participate, and when Nana got injured during the live stages oh my god it was cursed. But they SLAYED those poles and made an unforgettable concept and comeback."

@Slice of Life (11) — "i dont know if this is a 'basic' choice for an 11 since i truly believe after school have released much, much more exciting music than this. but i cant lie, first love is truly the one for me. its what made me stan after school in the first place. hearing it now brings so much good memories. i hope it does well in the rate."

@Ana Raquel (10) — "This vibe
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/pt/c/c6/So_sad_so_sexy.jpg
And surprisingly enough, this is my favorite single of theirs? Emotional pole dancing is how you win me over!!!"

@roblognick (10) — "The maddening scream at the beginning is really weird, but after that it's a perfect slow sexy jam."

@eyeline (10) — "I was underwhelemed when this first came out but it's really grown on me! Still one of my go to slut-anthems!"

@berserkboi (10) — "This is a gorgeously mature sound compared to what came before and I am into it!"

@KimLippington (10) — "In the unlikely event I ever hear this song out in public may the lord look over me because I will swing around anything that resembles a pole. What a comeback."

@Cotton Park (10) — "After School and Brave Brother's midtempo masterpiece."

@eatyourself (10) — "ICONIC. Not only does the video showcase hot talented women doing poledance, but the song also bops. Dare I say this is trip-hop-adjacent? It gives me 90s Madonna."

@Vixen (10) — "This is also another Afterschool classic... Sums them up perfectly, at least their more midtempo style."

@singabob (9.25) — "Not sure if I would have given this such a high score if not for the music video and the performances. I always thought it always sounded like a slightly weaker version of Sistar19's Gone Not Around Any Longer. The pole dancing is very impressive though."

@M24 (9.25) — "I enjoy the performance of this song rather than the song itself. I feel like it's a bit monotonous, the chorus feels more like an extension of the verses. It's still a good song overall, just not among my favorites. The MV and performances though are a 10/10, no question about it."

@SloMover (9) — "Obviously the video is iconic but I've always felt the song itself is a little overproduced and cheap. I still love it and get a lot of use out of it, though."

@Macsun (9) — "This song sorta had to grow on me. I wasn't expecting a hip hop sound after the immaculate dancy FLASHBACK. It turned out an ear-worm. JungAh's sultry voice was on display full time and really enhanced the song for me."

@Attis (7.5) — "Concept and choreo are amazing, not a big fan of the song tho."

@Wills (5) — "I've always found this lifeless. Worse, it's the first thing I heard from them, and it deterred me from investigating further!"​

c5edd37ee50b4c1980bdb74bc17b6e156f8c21c5.png

she/her
I'm sorry but I really cannot believe Dilly Dally is still in this rate ahead of some of these absolute masterpieces that are leaving. Like I don't even dislike Dilly Dally, it's a good tune, but seriously? I have to keep double-checking the results to make sure I didn't miss it leaving like 15 eliminations ago. I feel like I'm being pranked.

I too am surprised at Dilly Dally being still in this rate, but I love Dilly Dally so I'm happy about that.

Can anyone tell me who the hell does that scream at the beginning and why it's even there? Honestly it's awful.

This is such a sexy song though isn't it?

he/him
giphy-downsized-large.gif

YOU WHORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew you are a Brave Brothers anti but this is still so heartbreaking!!!!!!!!!! Trust you will be dealt with!!!!!!!!!!
fhsjdfd this is so funny bc I LOVE Brave Brothers apart from this!! (and Diva) (...and that UNI.T song, wait THAT'S what this is about, isn't it!) I even gaslit myself into stanning DKB, do you know what kind of effort that takes??

velvetchicken.gif

But anyways yes, sorry besties: this one had all the time in the world to grow on me and I just don't get it!

Enough of this Dilly Dally slander!! I hope it makes top 5 because quite honestly it SLAPS any you all need to deal.

well, got some bad news for you . . .

Y8KHslJ.gif

jTWBAkB.gif

i0pN7pS.gif

Dilly Dally

Grade: 9.661
Honor roll: 11×3 (@evilsin, @berserkboi, @GeiPanda), 10×13 (@junglefish, @RUNAWAY, @roblognick, @SloMover, @Slice of Life, @Macsun, @Cotton Park, @BEST FICTION, @Vixen, @Oleander, @Remorque, @Love Deluxe, @vague), 9.75×3 (@Conan, @KimLippington, @M24)
Drop-outs: 8×2 (@Crisp X, @yuuurei), 8.5×3 (@singabob, @Attis, @Wills)

5 ballots: #11, 9.700 avg.
10 ballots: #8, 9.550 avg.
15 ballots: #6, 9.533 avg.
20 ballots: #7, 9.550 avg.
25 ballots: #7, 9.550 avg.
31 ballots: #6, 9.661 avg.

"Dilly Dally" is the second track from After School's fourth Japanese single, Lady Luck / Dilly Dally, released on June 13, 2012. Its lyrics were written by Reika Yuki, it was composed by Christian Fast and Henrik Nordenback, and arranged by Henrik Nordenback. "Dilly Dally" was also included on After School's finale release, BEST, in 2015.

On April 6, 2012, it was announced that After School had been selected to star in a CM for the women's deodorant brand Rexena, which would feature their then-unreleased new song, "Dilly Dally". The CM began airing on April 9, 2012, and it proclaimed with its tagline: "Idols can't get sweaty." In a funny coincidence, Rexena's brand tagline, "It won't let you down", ties in with the song's English demo, "Let Me Down Again", which leaked sometime in 2012 after the single's release.​

980705c5674bea78ce2e7fd623b9d69d93022343.png

The commercial caused a stir in Japan due to the members - Nana, in particular - exposing their armpits. The Japanese press even called Nana's armpits the highlight of the ad campaign. Even in Korea, Nana's armpits gained attention when the members appeared on Mnet's Yoo Saeyoon's Art Video and Lizzy revealed, "Nana has the cleanest armpit, so she became the main armpit model [in the CM]. She's our 'main armpit'." Additionally, she was dubbed an "armpit goddess" by the Korean media. Reactions among Korean netizens were mixed, though, with people commenting, "So, this is how popular After School is in Japan", "They look good and professional", "The bodies of the eight members are no joke", "The position is a little embarrassing", and "In Japan, U-ie's in the back".

The song's choreography was created specifically for the commercial and was meant to show off the member's "sweat-free" armpits due to the Rexena tie-in. This can particularly be seen in the chorus when the members dance to the "dilly dally down" hook. In the making film for the commercial, U-ie asked fans, "Please pay attention to the dance that was made especially for this commercial. It was hard, but I think we were able to do it wonderfully."​

ba6b25d0c0d0942afb2fc216c4888fa4c15dc07c.png

On April 23, avex announced their fourth Japanese single would be released June 13, and would be another double A-side. Days later, on the opening night of their PLAYGIRLZ 2012 JAPAN TOUR, After School performed "Dilly Dally" in full during the opening date's encore - premiering it six week before its release. Upon its release, the Lady Luck / Dilly Dally single debuted at #3 on the Oricon daily charts, the group's best ever placement on the chart. Ultimately, it peaked at #6 on the Oricon weekly chart, selling 13,424 copies. It charted for five weeks and sold 17,572 copies in total, making it the 393rd best-selling physical single in Japan for 2012.

2012 was the year After School fully set their sights on breaking into the Japanese market. They released their first full Japanese album, two singles, and held their first tour - all in the first half of the year. Musically, though, the group were in a weird spot where it seemed like Pledis wasn't quite sure which direction to go in with their sound. Gone where the bouncy, brash electro hits they had made a name for themselves with in 2009 - VIRGIN was a mixed bag of ballads and softer midtempos, the RED and BLUE subunits had wildly different sounds, and even the electropop leanings of PLAYGIRLZ didn't stick for very long when the group suddenly shifted to the cuter sound of "Lady Luck" just months later. They were experiencing a musical identity crisis.

We mentioned briefly in the "Lady Luck" write-up that we had a theory had Kahi not graduated, After School would have possibly continued down the cuter, softer trajectory of "Lady Luck", soundwise. It would be a while yet before they refined their sound with Dress to kill, but with "Dilly Dally", we can see the seeds of what they would eventually give us being planted.

Untitled1-copy.png
(10) — "A true mammoth of a chorus, I almost almost gave this my 11. The mastering sounding like it was panini pressed and then popped into a toaster oven is something I like about it oddly enough, give me that crunchiness! I legit lose it every time they go for one final repetition of the post-chorus at 3:09. If there's an After School song where I feel every single sonic element is essential, it's this one - not a second is wasted. The live clip of this with Kahi in her signature AH pony is such a lovely full circle moment since this was her last After School release. Also peep how not a single member is doing the choreography like the person next to them for the entirety of the tour performance ddddd some members are in completely different timezones with the arm movements, I live."

Untitled-1-copy.png
(10) — "God, how can you not love this??? It's absolutely massive. Definitely in the top two of their Japanese discography for me (going head-to-head with "Heaven"; just depends on my mood on which one I prefer at any given time). The little background vocals are such a nice, catchy touch to this. Everything comes together so perfectly. I just adore this."​

@berserkboi (11) — "I feel this is a track I knew already? What a sumptuous melody!"

@GeiPanda (11) — "I was TRULY obsessed with the song when it first came out. I said a prayer every night that started with 'Ima sugu kiss me, mou ichido love me', and hoped they would record a Korean version and do performances of it for the next comeback, ala Rip Off. It still holds up so well to this day."

@roblognick (10) — "Dilly Dally down is a hook and a half, honestly. Triple D always does it for me."

@SloMover (10) — "Dilly Dally is phenomenal - it takes the electropop of many of the Japanese album songs but with polish that a chunk of that album was missing."

@Macsun (10) — "Slap slap slap me silly!!! The Main Course. The fact that this could have easily been on Madonna's Confessions on the Dance Floor speaks on how well this song is produced. Simply magnificient!"

@Vixen (10) — "Lowkey a standout in their discography."

@M24 (9.75) — "That chorus is so good ugh. It's enough to carry the whole song, because the verses are just ok (which is kind of weird now that I think about it, because usually their songs have engaging verses too)."

@eyeline (9.5) — "Why hide this MONSTER of a bop behind the faceless cutesy mess that is Lady Luck?"​

89af4b20e19f5c25e8b9c9a4ddbd86bfd0659640.png

Dilly Dally is fucking phenomenal and is probably my favourite Japanese song by a K-Pop group. Maybe sharing that spotlight with SNSD's Paparazzi.

I'm so cross it never got a video, but now I find it did sort of in the deodorant commercial where they all looked amazing and that choreography is good, except in the tour where it's absolutely a mess, lol!

My 11 is still in it though. I'm going to predict it won't win - my 11s never do! I think I want Shh to go next.

The top five is not at all what I expected or would have chosen. But yes, they're all great songs.

Also, it's basically the same as the original English version down to all the flourishes and production. It's like SNSD and the Kesha tracks!