The Alt-Queens Rate

i%20think%20this%20is%20it_zpspas3zirx.png

(The Saturdays have gone dark)

In this rate we will be listening to albums from five of the most influential, original women in popular music, then of course pitting them against each other, to see who reigns supreme. The Alt-Queens Rate!

Joni Mitchell - Blue

blue_zps18mqb6pu.png

“At that period of my life, I had no personal defenses. I felt like a cellophane wrapper on a pack of cigarettes. I felt like I had absolutely no secrets from the world and I couldn't pretend in my life to be strong. Or to be happy.”

All I Want
My Old Man
Little Green
Carey
Blue
California
This Flight Tonight
River
A Case Of You
The Last Time I Saw Richard​

Why? It had to be Blue. A lot of fans may choose Hejira or Court And Spark as her best, but it had to be Blue. Featured in many greatest albums lists over the years, it is definitely her most famous body of work, housing some of her most iconic songs.

Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love

hol_zps4d4yjkdi.png

“I think in some ways this is the most complete work that I've done, in some ways it is the best and I was the happiest that I'd been compared to making other albums.”

Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)
Hounds Of Love
The Big Sky
Mother Stands For Comfort
Cloudbusting
And Dream Of Sheep
Under Ice
Waking The Witch
Watching You Without Me
Jig Of Life
Hello Earth
The Morning Fog​

Why? There was no contest, really. Hounds Of Love features most of her biggest hits and is her most critically acclaimed and successful album.

Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes

le_zpsk3pruanh.png

"Little Earthquakes, in truth, was much more like a diary form of things that have happened in my whole life, finding my own voice."

Crucify
Girl
Silent All These Years
Precious Things
Winter
Happy Phantom
China
Leather
Mother
Tear In Your Hand
Me And A Gun
Little Earthquakes​

Why? I was thinking about having fan favourites Boys For Pele or From The Choirgirl Hotel as the Tori rep, but in the end I went with the debut. It paved the way for many of the 90s female singer-songwriter types.

Last edited:
PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love

bring_zpsz6nixky1.png

“I certainly am very surprised at how this record has been received. And it's not something that I set out to do.”

To Bring You My Love
Meet Ze Monsta
Working For The Man
C’mon Billy
Teclo
Long Snake Moan
Down By The Water
I Think I’m A Mother
Send His Love To Me
The Dancer​

Why? I had a bit of trouble choosing which Polly album we would be rating, but To Bring You My Love feels like her proper, big breakthrough.

Björk - Homogenic

homo_zpsywmywjld.png

“The sounds, the rhythms, the emotions, they've always been inside my head. I put them down on Homogenic.”

Hunter
Jóga
Unravel
Bachelorette
All Neon Like
5 Years
Immature
Alarm Call
Pluto
All Is Full Of Love​

Why? I had the most trouble picking which Björk album would be participating, almost going with her poppiest moment, Post, or the stunning Vespertine, but Homogenic is one of her most critically acclaimed albums, and a real moment in her career.

We’re rating the album versions here.

How? Rate the songs from 0 to 10. Half points are allowed. You are allowed ONE score of 11. PM your scores. (Click on my username and “start a conversation”)

When? Voting will close midnight March 14th, so you have 4 weeks to vote.

Last edited:
Amazing. I am shocking myself that I do not know one of these albums (aside from a few singles obviously) and I also consider myself a music fan. This needs to be done in order to take myself (or for you to take me) serious.

Hoping I will not become a rate troll.

I'm so excited for this! I don't keep up with the Rate Queue so imagine my surprise logging in on a cold Monday morning to find this. Thank you!
I'm a huge PJ Harvey fan, but To Bring You My Love isn't my favorite, so that should make things interesting. I know Tori mostly for From the Choirgirl Hotel and To Venus and Back along with some other songs and I've been meaning to get into Bjork since 2014. I only know Joni from Janet Jackson and I only listened to Hounds of Love once but it didn't click with me so I just blamed it on the hype.

D

Deleted member 16293

Great to see that this is starting.

The five albums are all so solid and in a just world, none of these songs should ever end up at the last place in a rate. But I’m ready to be brutal and NOT give every song a high score. I’m not sure how low I can go though.

The timing for this rate could not have been better. With a voting period from OneDirection and Hilary Duff at the same time, being both overly pop this rate really balances that out!

A&E

they&she
This should be interesting. I'm not a big fan of To Bring You My Love outside the singles but I haven't listened to it in a long while so I might just change my mind. (I loved all the solo albums PJ has released since though.) And it's about time I get into Joni I guess!

...oh I forgot about the album version of All Is Full of Love I_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY_. That's unfortunate.

he/him
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST RATE EVER.

(I'm fully expecting to be one of the only people that gives Little Earthquakes tens across the board although I hope that won't be the case. #ToriSlaymos)

UGH FUCK CHOOSING AN 11 IS GOING TO BE SO HARD. All of these albums are fantastic in one way or another.

Last edited:
She/Her
Oh my god, what an amazing line-up! Seriously, this might be my favorite rate of all time.

I'm going to have to give my 11 to "The Dancer," but there will many 10s.

I'm a huge PJ Harvey fan, but To Bring You My Love isn't my favorite, so that should make things interesting.

This should be interesting. I'm not a big fan of To Bring You My Love outside the singles but I haven't listened to it in a long while so I might just change my mind. (I loved all the solo albums PJ has released since though.)

I have to admit, To Bring You My Love is probably one of my least favourite PJ albums, too. Still pretty great, though. Long Snake Moan is my jam.