The Ashley Tisdale Rate. | Page 48 | The Popjustice Forum

The Ashley Tisdale Rate.

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Atletico, Jun 27, 2016.

1. All I ever wanted!
    Let's be real, that describes my taste in pop music pretty well.

DJHazey likes this.
  2. The last three seconds of "So Much for You" are obliterating (@WhenTheSunGoesDown and no, not in the way farts can be), and I'm always pissed off at "He Said She Said" for starting immediately while I still haven't put my shit together after that ending. 18th place? You guys are crazy.

WhenTheSunGoesDown and Atletico like this.
  3. If I had participated in this rate, I might have given my 11 to "So Much For You." It always seemed like a much more obvious choice for a single to me than "Not Like That" and especially "Suddenly." So. good.

I haven't commented until now, but I've been following the thread and I just want y'all to know that I used to hate Guilty Pleasure - the album. It was such a disappointment for me when it came out, except "Masquerade." I even sold my physical copy. But this thread made me give the album a second chance, and WOW it sounds like a completely different album now. I pretty much like everything (except I'm indifferent to "It's Alright, It's Ok," that one was always kind of basic and annoying to me), and love a lot of it. So basically, this thread made me finally see the light.

4. @Angeleyes YES!
    (Also amazing that even back when you hated the album, Masquerade stood out as an amazing track. The power of Masquerade knows no limits!)

Angeleyes likes this.
  5. Oh @Angeleyes I'm glad you've seen the light.

Angeleyes and DJHazey like this.
  6. OH NOT THIS PLEASE.

This rate is a fucking disaster.

[​IMG]

Guilty Pleasure

Average: 7.33
    Highest: 11 x 1 (@iheartpoptarts), 10 x 7 (@GhettoPrincess, @DJHazey, @Conan, @headztrong, @Penguin, @Totto, @Push)
    People who rated Unlove You higher than this: @Plethorya, @Drawlight, @mat.overboard, @Sprockrooster

I'm trying to keep it professional and not swear at everybody except my eight hunties above. Let me provide context first before I get my glock while reading the commentary again. In one of the most bizarre occurings in pop releases, Guilty Pleasure had its track title excluded from the final cut. A cut that includes stuff like Delete You and... I can't mention bad songs because they don't exist in that album. I understand that the sonority might be a slight departure from the rest of the album but how many times has a title song been relegated to B-side status (more specifically, on the It's Alright, It's OK CD single)? I would have been fine with a placing as bonus track (such as Crank It Up and Switch) but okay, Ashley's team, you do you and get that 40-something rating on Metacritic.

No point crying about it anymore, the damage is already done (and this was coincidental, but now it's two awful eliminations happening, one here with Guilty Pleasure and the other in the Florence rate with Queen of Peace), but all the 500K people who purchased it didn't have the chance to be thoroughly and mercilessly slayed by what should have been in the top 10 of this rate. The competition for my 11 was always between this and another track, which obviously wound up securing it, for a multitude of reasons. However, this still remains, in my opinion, if not the greatest thing she's released, the most original, refreshing song in her discography. Every time I listen to it it's like a brand spanking new song. It almost lacks a proper melody and it's still one of the catchiest songs she possesses. There's this sense of urgency and tirelessness throughout the entire track, it doesn't even let you take a breather for a minute. But it's okay if you think Switch is better than this. I still feel guilty this isn't my 11 but nostalgia etc. (The winner only has one more 10 than this.)

GhettoPrincess' scores were the first I received and I was so thrilled the first score it received was a 10. "This feels like such an 80s song and it’s sublime. Should’ve been on the album!" PREACH. IT. "I also hear the praises being sung for this one, so let me be perched a bit!" I'm anxious, DJHazey. "Okay this is better (I had a low-quality video at first and it made me wonder what the fuss was about). That low backbeat is stunning for one thing and there are some serious melodies flowing! My instant love for this one is a bit more 'low-key' but I can tell this going to be part of my arsenal for years to come. A couple more doses of the song's title-line have me hooked and I can tell it's already headed towards fav-territory, so 10 it is!" That is true, some videos modify the pitch and turn it into a completely different song. Lalaclairi adds another page to the testament: "This should have been on the standard version, it's a great song. The chorus in particular is killer."

"This is…not at all what I was expecting from the title track of this album. Queen of curveballs! This is quite different from the main bulk of the album, but it’s got that Charli XCX bratty-ness about it. I like, I like a lot." twirls constantino and I swear y'all have mentioned more artists than Ashley herself I_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY_. Headztrong KNOWS IT: "This would be my 11 if [song] didn't exist" and I edited out the song title for a little suspense I_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY_. sexercise claims to "fucking hate when they make the title track a bonus track." See? I don't even recall any other cases, but it sure is a mess. "This song is still the weirdest mess of melodies" evaluates WhenTheSunGoesDown, but he gave it an 8.5 so I won't yell. "How often are albums named after bonus tracks?" Ditto.

Conan thinks it's because of the departure in sound from the original LP: "I can see why it was left off the album as it totally doesn't fit to its pop-rock-ish sound and this is more early Madonna, but it's irresistible to me and I'm happy we got it as a B-side, at least." Imagine if this had received the It's The Way/If My Life Were a Movie treatment and only surfaced as a demo. Sprockrooster enters the Hall of Shame of The Ashley Tisdale Rate: "Missing the point completely." You gave My Boi and Me a 10. Finally, our mighty iheartpoptarts, who did not deserve to see her 11 leave so soon. Monsters! "That glittery 80s-esque chorus is everything I love, and I’ve always felt like this one combined the quality of her second album with the more pure pop feel of her first. I promise I’m giving it my 11 because I wouldn’t have it any other way, and not because the rate rules say we’re supposed to!" I_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY_, I'd forgot about that; expose my mischievous rate hosting ways a bit. Let us all mourn the fall of a simply sublime song.

7. No fucking way.

headztrong and Penguin like this.
  8. iheartpoptarts and Atletico like this.
  9. Guilty Pleasure is one of the few songs that i remember, It was a bit early for it to going out.

I'm just feeling sad for @iheartpoptarts , People ( such as myself but not for this one) aren't nice to her in this rate.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  10. Well @iheartpoptarts your pick of 11 is perfect especially for your username. I'm sorry that we let this brilliant pop song down (well I gave it a 10.... I tried my best).

11. @Push, can you tell us what our 'Sweet Sixteen' songs are?

12. I_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY_, I was actually waiting for the top 15 but I just remembered there is a tie.

Sharpay + Top 15 graphics coming #soon.

And I'm still not over fucking #17.

DJHazey likes this.
  13. If it had gone earlier, it would've been a true disaster. However, I believe just about every song left is either a 9 or 10 from me now.

14. Yikes. Guilty Pleasure deserved better.

15. Toodles!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  16. Toodles Sharpay.

[​IMG]

Atletico likes this.
  17. Behold our top 15.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sally_Harper likes this.
  18. Not Like That needs to go.

19. Switch is still in?
    And it beat I Want It All, Bop To The Top, Blame It On The Beat and Whatcha Waiting For?

Guess there's something about that song that I'm completely missing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.