The Australian Reality TV Girls Rate - #1 & #2 - And the winner IS... | Page 49 | The Popjustice Forum

The Australian Reality TV Girls Rate - #1 & #2 - And the winner IS...

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by livefrommelbs, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Shall we get our eliminations back underway?

I think we shall.

With a track that was one of five contenders for my 11, goddammit.

15. Kate DeAraugo - Faded
    [​IMG]
    Average Score - 8.347

High Scorers -
    Me, @Phonetics Boy, @DJHazey & @Music Is Life (10), @Untouchable Ace (9.6)

Low Scorers - @Sprockrooster & @klow (6), @Pineapple (7)

Our 7th-place finalist has been revealed, and it's none other than Miss Kate DeAraugo! Bet you'd forgotten about her, hadn't ya? I mean, it's been 56 eliminations since her other track left rate, so you'd be forgiven for doing so. Especially when one track is the maudlin 'Maybe Tonight', and the other is iconic mid-00s pop-rock anthem 'Faded'.

Much like Casey did with 'Whats Going On' the year beforehand, 'Faded' saw Sony enlisting The Veronicas to pen a radio-ready pop-rock smash for Kate's first post-winner's single release. While 'Whats Going On' stalled at a disappointing #18 (to say nothing of its placement here), 'Faded' was a second top-10 hit for Kate. Sis only got two solo singles out, and both were top 10 smashas! When will your faves?

I mean, given the calibre of 'Faded' as a pop song from that time period, it's easy to see why. The Veronicas now their way around a pop hook, and 'Faded' more than rises to the occasion. The chorus is obviously the piece de resistance, with Kate delivering us a genuinely impressive vocal over those soaring guitars. But there are all kinds of other little hooks hidden throughout the song as well. The verses are cleverly written, with the final word of one line being the first of the next 'You never take / take the time to really look', etc. And then there's the 'Faded, hated, slippin away' hook after the chorus'. It's a genuinely tight piece of pop songwriting and that ain't the blind standom talking.

As I mentioned at the start of the post, 'Faded' was a serious contender for my 11 - and remains to this day one of my favourite 00s pop songs. As an example of the pop-rock sound of the era, I don't think there are many songs - both from Australian acts and in general - that tick the boxes quite like this one. If Kelly Clarkson or The Veronicas released it, it would have been an even bigger hit than it was for Kate. It's undeniable.

Of course, some of you might have been familiar with 'Faded' before the rate not because of Kate - but because of Cascada, who proceeded to adapt the song into their signature dance-pop glory for their album Perfect Day. While I prefer Kate's version, Cascada's is gorge too and highlights just how melodically solid the bones of the song are.

Ultimately, seeing 'Faded' get to #15 is a pleasing result for me. It's actually the highest-placing pop-rock track of the rate, with the remaining 15 songs being dance-pop bangers or power ballads. So that's worth celebrating! What a song.

@Untouchable Ace (9.6) isn't missing 'Maybe Tonight', clearly - The only song for me from her.

@berserkboi (8.6) gives 'Faded' the berserky equivalent of like a 3, but still finds a positive angle - I don’t know what they were thinking with that mumsy styling in the car scenes when they were going for Rock Chick but this is a good song by Pop Rock standards.

@pop3blow2 (8.3) channels his inner Natalia Kills - *scream* I said her other song was a Carrie + Kelly mash-up… this is soooo Kelly Clarkson it is almost too much for me. Even that video. I mean her hair, shirt, & everything. As Natalia would say : ”We have a doppelgänger in our midst….”

@saviodxl (8) is getting shades of another artist - Michelle Branch, is that you?

And @daninternational (7.5) completes the comparisons - It's decent Ashlee Simpson pop

@klow (6) clearly has some of the same issues with the song as our fellow judges - Her voice is a bit anonymous here - a bit of a case of someone with "the range" not actually having "the range". I'd like to hear the Veronicas' version though as it's a great hook.

2. The Veronica's right here.

And their new song, the 6th lead single for their upcoming album.

3. Hot take, but I think I prefer Kate's! The girls' is also great, but Kate really sells it.

4. The Veronicas might as well release a Singles Collection instead of an album at this point....

5. The artist with the most comparisons so far? That might be a good thing I guess

6. It aired right after Video Hits on Channel 10 - and was hosted by Natalie Bassingthwaighte! They did a cover of 'Walk Like An Egyptian' which featured on the 'Party Girl' single. Their only other released song is 'By Your Side' which was a b-side on the 'Electric' single. So many good times...

Btw, found this 2006 article with some of the time info: https://www.northernstar.com.au/news/apn-mullum-girl-on-brink-of/15609/

Glad you all enjoyed the submission!

7. I just had to throw it a 10 considering how much I love The Veronicas song.

8. After losing two acts completely with our last two eliminations, will be lose a third?

Not just yet.

But someone's down to their final song...

14. Paulini - Air It All Out (7th Heaven Radio Mix)
    [​IMG]
    Average Score - 8.35

High Scorers -
    @DJHazey, @Sprockrooster, @pop3blow2, @daninternational & @Ana Raquel (10), @berserkboi (9.4)

Low Scorers - @klow (4), @saviodxl (5.8), @abael (6)

My Score - 9

Hoo boy you all really liked this one, didn't ya? Well, almost all of you. Check out those 10s - to say nothing of the 8s and 9s that I haven't listed above. And honestly, songs like these are exactly why I wanted to host this rate. It's not just about celebrating the more widely-known songs by more widely-liked artists - it's about shining a spotlight on songs that might have slipped under people's radars and celebrating the lesser-known bangers too.

And what a banger 'Air It All Out Is'. To see it make it all the way to 14th is seriously impressive. A true popjustice. Paulini having two songs in the top 15 feels absolutely correct to me and to this rate. Especially when the other song to make it this far is the iconic 'Fireman'.

But let's talk about 'Air It All Out' for a minute, shall we? The track was released in 2014 as part of Paulini's Come Alive era. The original version of the track is a breezy, mid-tempo R'n'B moment. It's a cute girl. But when 7th Heaven got their hands on it, she became a gorgeous girl.

7th Heaven have a knack for producing INCREDIBLE remixes for our Aussie pop gals, but their take on 'Air It All Out' is truly one of their best. So much so that it's THIS balls-to-the-wall, hands-in-the-air version that was given the single treatment. It might not have bothered the charts, but it bothered my hairline. The wig hath been snatched. I assume the title means airing out our scalps now that we are all sans lacefront.

I'd love to hear from y'all what your favourite parts of the song are. I think we'll probably all be in agreement that it's the wall of sound/euphoric dance explosion that signals the start of the chorus is an absolute highlight - but the 'SOMETIMES YA GOT TO LEARN TO LET GO' hook afterwards is the true crowning glory. Any dance banger that levels up even higher than a strong chorus is worth paying respects to. Also, while not a musical highlight per se, she looks STUN on the single cover and that billowing-but-still-bodycon dress is absolutely my drag aesthetic (if I did drag).

I gave this a 9, but since the rate this is probably the song that's had the biggest comeback for me. When we had a brief taste of freedom before going back into lockdown I put it on playlists for little house parties, and ultimately just get my life to 'Air It All Out' in ways I never did when it was first released. Very pleased to see many of you went straight for full marks, straight out the gate. It's what she deserves.

@Sprockrooster (10) says goodbye to a perfect 10 and hello to a brand-new banger to add to the collection - Honestly, what a discovery! Wig etcetera. Cascada flavour indeed.

@pop3blow2 (10) was one of our top scorers and found the song to be a moment most pleasing to him - Wow, an absolute banger! That chorus of ‘air it all’ is used & mixed perfectly.

@daninternational (10) has heard the call - AIR IT ALL! AIR IT ALL!

And @berserkboi (9.4) will be ready and waiting to soak up Paulini's 'This Is Your Night' - Okay this remix is much more enchanting than the version I knew, was Paulini always our Aussie Amber and I didn’t know??

abael, Robsolete, Fuchsia and 8 others like this.
  9. I believe my commentary encapsulates my favourite part!

Honestly I'm kinda mad that I could live as a gay man in Australia for 2.5 years and never hear this song. Homophobic.

10. I remember hearing it out at a club here in Melbourne and losing my damn mind. It was a one time surprise but it was life-giving!

11. Aw, I was really hoping it would go Top 10. Easily my favorite discovery in the rate.

12. I also endorse Paulini stanning so this checks out :)

Ezz, DJHazey and livefrommelbs like this.
  13. Air It All Out (7th Heaven Radio Mix) is amazing, but Heartbreak is Over (The Oxford Hustlers Remix Radio Edit) is x100 better!! Sooooooooo camp!

14. This is indeed absolute fire!!

ruffdriverz and livefrommelbs like this.
  15. NOW WAIT A DAMN MINUTE. How have I never heard this before? It's so good?! And on Spotify too! Joining 'Air It All Out' on my Post-COVID Homosexual Dance party playlist.

16. We're at the pointy end of the rate now - so no song is safe.

But this next elimination still comes as a bit of a surprise.

Not because it got an 11...

But because it had two.

13. Samantha Jade - Soldier
    [​IMG]
    Average Score - 8.46

High Scorers - @DJHazey & @Pineapple (11),
    Me, @berserkboi, @daninternational, @Untouchable Ace & @Music Is Life (10)

Low Scorers - @Sprockrooster (4), @klow (5)

I was pretty surprised when I tallied up the final scores and 'Soldier' had finished in 13th. I mean, don't get me wrong, a top 10 that isn't made entirely of Samantha Jade track is probably for the best - but this was not a song I saw missing out on the Semi-finals. Partially because it was winning the entire rate for a period there. And mostly because it's FUCKING. AMAZING.

This song... the drama, mama. From the opening strings, it is abundantly clear that our Queen is dialling the theatre and the emotion. I love the shades of pop-rock that come through in the productions under the verses as well. The guitars, the thunderous drums, the shub-a-lubba-dub-dub beats, Sammi giving an A-list vocal over the top. I remember hearing this for the first time in 2013 while I was on holidays in Las Vegas and needing a moment to just sit and catch my breath.

By the time the chorus hits it's all over for fans of singing and soldiers. "I want you to STAY! STAY! Stay with me a LITTLE LONGER" Samantha commands, and we must all listen. Nobody's going anywhere, we're sitting and we're basking in the performance. The whole thing just works - but the best part has to be the middle-eight. More specifically, the end of the middle eight (cos when she says 'gun gun gun gun' it sounds like she's saying 'Gungan' and I always think of the hateful Jar Jar Binks from Star Wars).

BUT I DIGRESS. After a more subdued vocal, sis goes for broke with that 'loooove won't chaaaaa-ayyy-eee-aaaay-aaaange... STAAAAAAAY!' moment that explodes into the chorus for one last go-round. Here is a visual representation of what it's like to listen to this flaw-free moment:

[​IMG]

Not sure any of us need a soldier - but a paramedic would be nice.

'Soldier' sadly didn't quite reach the chart heights of 'What You've Done To Me' or 'Firestarter', peaking at #18 on the ARIA Charts (which she'd do again with 'Up!' before things started to go a little... south). Still, it did a pretty good job of maintaining the momentum of Sammi's post X-Factor career, demonstrating the good sis had more that 10/10 dance bangers to deliver.

Let's throw it to our 11-givers now, because they've been kind enough to bestow us with some loverly commentary. First up we have @DJHazey - who will be sad to see this go after riding high on his wildcard win:

I've waited forever to be able to give this song top marks in a rate and the day has finally arrived! I don't even remember how I stumbled upon her music, she was probably on some Last.FM Similar Artist list years ago but I immediately typed her name into a MP3 download site and all of these songs here were listed and I was like BOP! BOP! BOP! and was disappointed to find they were standalone singles and she wasn't someone with like three full albums with every one of these being lead singles for them. Then Soldier started to be my go-to at home, at work, in the car, everywhere. It ticks every box, having all the little tricks and techniques that make a perfect Hazey 'basic bop'. Love the stuttered 'd-d-die' and extended "staaaay" but the favorite bit is the way she sings "wanna see inside in your head, what's going on in there?" like who says it like that? Love it. Cute fact that I seem to love any song with the title "Soldier" in some variation -- this, Shania's, and ABBA's and Skye Sweetnam's Sound Soldier album to boot. Also I have to include some DJ Straightzey extra in here and say that when I caught her videos for the first time after having heard her amazing voice (seriously she has this perfect little edge to her voice I'm obsessed with) -- when I saw the videos my eyes popped out of their sockets because honestly I've never been quite struck with a singer's beauty as much as I was when I laid eyes on Samantha. An absolute goddess.

I love DJStraightsy and I love this commentary. The taste on display, far too much. Of course, Hazey wasn't our only 11-giver either, with @Pineapple giving 'Soldier' top honours as well! Let's see what they have to say:

I had a tough time deciding which Sammi Jade track I was going to give my 11, but the dramatic and anthemic pop banger that is Soldier ultimately does it for me. It’s quite of its time, but I’m partial to a dubstep-lite pop song. Samantha just shines so bright on this. It’s killer.

Once again, the taste! What a song to get more than one 11. It's a shame that there were a few 7s and 8s in there to further bring the track down - for a minute there I thought this might have taken the crown.

Let's hear from our other judges too:

@Untouchable Ace (10) compares a queen with two other queens (and no, I'm not talking about Popjustice's Melbourne gays) - It's Loreen's 'Sidewalk' mixed with Kylie's 'Kiss Me Once'.

Speaking of Melbourne gays, @berserkboi (10) gives us a taste of scores to come #spoileralert - I feel like I am troll voting this section with all the 10s but Samantha really has been consistently great!

@daninternational (10) throws it back to better times - Back in these days every single was a moment. Right? She really had such an iconic start.

@pop3blow2 (8.3) isn't exactly on the frontlines of standom - Another song by her that is fine, but not really something I feel drawn too.

And @Sprockrooster (4) might have a war on his hands with this score - Yeah. Dubstep songs do not age well. Especially when I am unfamiliar with them. Glassheart remains unbothered.

17. @Sprockrooster versus @DJHazey being a battle we would experience over Soldier outside the Top 10 was not something I was expecting! If Sam is winning - please let it be with What You've Done To Me!

18. Soldier is right cos I'm ready to fight

19. My least favourite Samantha Jade song in the rate, and I also see that the two 11-givers here both gave my 11 a 4...so I guess...what goes around comes around.

[​IMG]

Anyway, hope we can all agree that "Sweet Talk" should be top 5. Non?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.