The Australian Reality TV Girls Rate - #12 - Mum's the word! | Page 30 | The Popjustice Forum

The Australian Reality TV Girls Rate - #12 - Mum's the word!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by livefrommelbs, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Oh my God I need to watch that PRONTO.

Literally me trying to domesticate the feral cat that visits my backyard.

Also, another eligible housewives bop:

2. Fun fact: I once lived two doors down from a member of Sirens in the early 90s!

3. Both Anja songs in the rate are major bops, it's a shame to lose one. I agree about that note and the breakdown.

4. She's still got one in there! 'Triumph' prevails.

5. Our next elimination is the first of its kind in the rate.

It's a tie!

=43. Nat Conway - Summer To Stay
    [​IMG]
    Average Score - 7.43

High Scorers -
    @daninternational (10), @saviodxl, @pop3blow2 & @Music Is Life (9)

Low Scorers -
    @Phonetics Boy, @Hurricane Drunk, @abael (5)

My Score -

With 'Summer To Stay' taking a bow, so too does Nat from the rate. This is definitely the right time for the song to be tapping out. With a 6, it's one of my lowest scored songs still in contention (if not THE lowest, I CBF checking). Also, the closer we get to the top the less room we're gonna have for tropical-lite beats and lacklustre choruses. I say this as a big fan of Nat's.

'Summer To Stay' was released as Nat's first original single after her cover of 'Everybody's Free' managed to chart in late 2016. It wasn't second time lucky, as the single didn't really do much. Still, it had some fans here in the rate! The video's a bit of a serve, too. Sis brought out the good wigs!

I don't really know what else to say about it, so let's just throw to some of the judges.

@saviodxl (9) might be sad to see this one go - Another great artist discovery for me

@daninternational (10) likes what he hears - Nat Conway is not a popstar name. But I really like this basic Spotify bop

So might @pop3blow2 (9) too - Oooh, I like this this. It’s maybe slightly generic electro pop, but I like this vibe overall… and I think I really enjoy her voice.

@klow (8) has been working out to the song for years now! - A remix of this has been on heavy rotation at my gym for the last few years. Who knew it was the handiwork of an esteemed X-Factor alumna? (Shazam, probably).

@berserkboi (7.4) is okay with summer not staying - Pretty but faceless so I enjoy but I don’t get an emotional connection from it…

Our second half of the tie is from the early years - by an act with only one song in the rate.

=43. Danielle Stearman - Tell Me If You Like It
    [​IMG]
    Average Score - 7.43

High Scorers - @berserkboi (9.7), @Ana Raquel, @Music Is Life & @Pineapple (9)

Low Scorers - @Phonetics Boy (2), @Sprockrooster (4)

My Score - 7.5

'Tell Me If You Like It' might still be out in 43rd, but it's definitely one of the success stories of the rate. After 5 ballots it was one of the first 5 songs out - and clawed it's way higher with each set of 5 voters. So let's celebrate that!

Danielle was runner-up of the third season of Popstars - which focused on a solo act for the first time instead of a group. The winner, Scott Cain, had minor success - and is actually Danielle's husband in real life! A cute little popstars love story, ya love to see it.

Danielle got her time to shine with 'Tell Me If You Like It' - which some of us Aussies might remember being a moderate hit when it was released. It sounds very of the era - that disco-tinged dance-pop that the likes of Kylie, Bardot and Madison Avenue were putting out. I don't LOVE that sound heaps, hence my 7.5, but there's no denying this one's catchy.

Surprisingly enough, even though 'Tell Me If You Like It' fared well on the charts Danielle never released another single. I read an interview or something with her where she mentioned that label fuckery basically stopped her career in its track. She's busy being a mama now - and can still lay claim to putting her name to a bop, which is 1 more than yours truly.

@berserkboi (9.7) is our highest scorer and let me tell you, he likes it - I remember this actually!!! I used to bop along to this in a big way!! Aussies did great disco pop back in the day, hey? Who will be first to send to PJ00s?? I love that she could not really dance and got some terrible Dance Boys so she still stood out positively – I stan!!!

@daninternational (8.75) unknowingly shades me - I like it, Danielle (the commentary for this one is gonna be predictable)

@pop3blow2 (8.5) likes it, but doesn't LOVE it - This alright. Maybe a tad generic, but it bops some & her vocal enough fun & attitude to keep my attention.

@Untouchable Ace (7.7) is in the same boat - Good and memorable chorus, but not much else.

@klow (7) also gets the references - Am I wrong or is this a second cousin once removed to Kylie's "Can't Beat The Feeling"?

@Pineapple (7) is here for it - A tacky bop!

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  6. Does Nat Conway really sing on those budget Centrum / vitamin ads with 'Everybody's Free'?

Poor Danielle. I remembered her song was better than it actually was.

livefrommelbs and berserkboi like this.
  7. Can I please invite @iheartpoptarts to listen to Tell Me If You Like It? I feel she’d at least match my 9.7 score :)

8. I'm not sure if that's Nat's cover on those ads. Hers slaps a bitsy.

Untouchable Ace and berserkboi like this.
  9. Oh, and a little tea to warm up your weekends. Between eliminations #42 - #32, we're losing four 11s.

Buckle up!

[​IMG]

10. Me going over Natalie Bassingthwaighte and Vanessa Amorosi's Wikipedia pages with a fine-tooth comb to see if they started on an Australian talent show without me realising:

[​IMG]

11. Vanessa was a judge in one but not a contestant sadly!

(Same with Natalie too, I believe...)

12. Natalie helped Australia re-discover Samantha Jade! Queens supporting queens, etc.

13. Both "Summer To Stay" and "Tell Me If You Like It" deserved better, tbh.
    Natalie was an X Factor judge for most of its run.

I don't recall Vanessa's stint as a judge though. Was she a judge for Australia's Got Talent?

14. It was a short lived show on channel 9 with people impersonation celebrities - I cannot remember the name of it though...

livefrommelbs and elektroxx like this.
  15. Oh I had no idea Vanessa was a judge on anything. I definitely remember Natalie being on X Factor (and also replacing Natalia Kills on X Factor New Zealand after her iconic firing ddd.)

16. I finally found its title: Starstruck. All the way back in 2005. No wonder I don't remember it at all.

I love that it flopped so hard that it doesn't even get a mention on her Wikipedia page; I had to go to her IMDB.

17. Who replaced Willy Moon?

18. Shelton Woolright apparently.

I have a feeling you'll know who that is as much as I will.

19. I had to give him a Google, but considering he had two Top 10 hits and two albums that peaked at No. 2, he seems far more qualified than someone who had one hit that peaked at No. 28.

20. I still can't bring myself to re-watch footage of that. Cruel.

(That said, the memery and giffery that followed has been a most bountiful gift).

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.