◢ ◤ The Avicii Discography Rate ◢ ◤ WINNER! | Page 7 | The Popjustice Forum

◢ ◤ The Avicii Discography Rate ◢ ◤ WINNER!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mina, May 6, 2018.

1. [​IMG]
    This is a two week reminder - ballots are due on Thursday, May 31 at 11:59 PM UK time. I would be absolutely thrilled if you could participate - remember, only 46 songs, and commentary is optional!

I'm tagging you because you've previously expressed interest or liked a post in this thread. If you're still on the fence, please do check out my album spotlights for Avicii's most recent releases - Stories and Avīci (01) - you might be pleasantly surprised!

@Blond
    @Blue6010
    @Empty Shoebox
    @Eric
    @Eric Generic

2. [​IMG]
    This is a two week reminder - ballots are due on Thursday, May 31 at 11:59 PM UK time. I would be absolutely thrilled if you could participate - remember, only 46 songs, and commentary is optional!

I'm tagging you because you've previously expressed interest or liked a post in this thread. If you're still on the fence, please do check out my album spotlights for Avicii's most recent releases - Stories and Avīci (01) - you might be pleasantly surprised!

@evilsin
    @Filippa
    @flowersandu (come support Madonna!)
    @Island
    @LiK

3. [​IMG]

@londonrain
    @ohaimanabu
    @ohnostalgia
    @OspreyQueen
    @Petit nain des Îles

4. [​IMG]

@popknark2 (I know you said you don't do rates, but I'd love it if you change your mind and your first ever PJ rate was mine!)
    @Raichu
    @Rei Ayanami
    @Rem
    @Remorque

5. [​IMG]

@Robsolete
    @Sarzy
    @Sprockrooster
    @Stepsmatt
    @SuperNerd

6. [​IMG]

@Syzygyz (come support Madonna!)
    @Tribal Spaceman
    @Trouble in Paradise
    @Untouchable Ace
    @Vasilios

7. I've just started my scores, should have them done in a few days!

londonrain and Mina like this.
  8. [​IMG]

@AshtrayHeart
    @Wishlight
    @WowWowWowWow
    @Zaacc

9. Awesome, glad to hear it!

londonrain likes this.
  10. Halfway through the POP Princesses rate (putting off Jessica ATM, which isn't ideal). This is next on my list til PJ00s. Prioritised PJOPs incorrectly and finished that first :(

Untouchable Ace and Mina like this.
  11. Glad to hear Avicii is still on your radar! Luckily the PJ00s deadline isn't until June 7, so you've got an extra week after the Avicii rate deadline to finish that as well!

12. I'll start it this weekend after I finish PJSC.

Mina and berserkboi like this.
  13. Same here.

Mina and berserkboi like this.
  14. Great!

Is anyone else who's been quiet in the thread definitely planning on voting? I'm trying to get a sense of how many ballots to reasonably expect.

15. Hey, @Mina. I'm off for the summer, so I'll do this.

Untouchable Ace, londonrain and Mina like this.
  16. Terrific! (And lucky you!)

Raichu and londonrain like this.
  17. Thanks for the reminder! I've been out of the country but will definitely do this - really interested to discover more of Avicii's music.
    ="Mina, post: 6166996, member: 2788"]
    [​IMG]

@Blond
    @Blue6010
    @Empty Shoebox
    @Eric
    @Eric Generic
    [/QUOTE]

Sprockrooster, berserkboi and Mina like this.
  18. Glad to hear that, @Eric! I look forward to receiving your ballot.

londonrain, berserkboi and Eric like this.
  19. Album Spotlight: True

[​IMG]

True was Avicii’s first studio album, and also his biggest commercial album to date. Released in September 2013, it peaked at #2 on the UK albums chart and earned a platinum certification, #5 on the US Billboard 200 and earned a platinum certification, and also charted across Europe, Asia, and Oceania. Notable (uncredited) vocalists on the album include Danish electropop singer MØ (Dear Boy) and American Idol runner-up Adam Lambert (Lay Me Down). Many of the female vocals on the album (Addicted to You, Shame on Me, and the bonus track Long Road to Hell) are provided by Audra Mae, who is also the performer on Stories’ Touch Me and Avicii’s cover version of the Nina Simone classic Feeling Good.

Some song highlights:

Feeling my way through the darkness
    Guided by a beating heart
    I can't tell where the journey will end
    But I know where to start

Probably Avicii’s best-known track - and definitely the one that launched him to worldwide fame - Wake Me Up was written by a team of people you’d never think would end up in the same room. Alongside Avicii and the song’s performer Aloe Blacc, writing credits were also given to country songstress Lee Ann Womack of I Hope You Dance fame, Aileen Quinn who played the titular character of the 1982 Annie movie, Mike Einziger of the rock band Incubus, and others. The song itself is classified as “folktronica,” an interesting fusion of EDM and country/bluegrass and soul music. The lyrics speak to being young and unsure of what the future holds. The song itself was a worldwide hit - #1 on the UK singles chart for 3 weeks with a total of 72 weeks in the top 100 and a 3x platinum certification, #4 on the US Billboard Hot 100 and a 6x platinum certification, and many other chart accolades in Europe, Asia, and Oceania.

In addition the music video linked above (which has an impressive 1.5 billion views and might have a few subtle product placements), there was also an official lyric video published on Avicii’s Youtube channel.

You came into my crazy world
    like a cool and cleansing wave
    Before I, I knew what hit me baby
    you were flowing through my veins...

Addicted to You, the fourth single from True, features uncredited vocals from Audra Mae and cowriting credits from Josh Krajcik who was the runner-up on the first season of The X Factor USA. It reached #14 on the UK singles chart and earned a gold certification and charted across Europe but missed the US Billboard Hot 100 entirely. The song’s music video features a Bonnie and Clyde-esque love story between two women that unfortunately ends badly for both.

-----

Do y’all want a spotlight for some of Avicii’s pre-2013 hits (I Could Be the One, Levels, Silhouettes, etc.), and/or Avicii’s many collaborations? My intention in writing these has been to generate discussion, and thus far that hasn’t really worked (65% of the posts in the thread to date are mine - yikes!). If I don’t hear anything, I won’t write one up, and this’ll be the final spotlight.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  20. I am always a fan of spotlights cause they give me some background in the songs, which makes it easier to love them (things like zeroing fan favourites seem to happen less likely). And do remember a host simply has the most posts due to tagging!

Personally I haven't responded to spotlights yet, cause I mostly do via commentary.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.