The BANKS Discography Rate | Page 12 | The Popjustice Forum

The BANKS Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by slaybellz, Jul 29, 2019.

1. No elimination last night cause I needed the rest, but i'm planning on doing a bit of a cull over the weekend. Pray for your faves.

2. Honey, I’m sure you’ll venmo me the required fee. /kthxbai

3. I managed to forget doing my rate even after this was extended and I hate myself but it's fine ddd. Can't wait for the top10

4. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In Your Eyes (Peter Gabriel Cover)

Score: 6.194

My Score: 8
    Highest: 9 x 3 (@yeRleDanaL, @Music Is Life, @sfmartin)
    Lowest: 1 x 1 (@ohnostalgia) 3 x 3 (@alejandrusco, @Hurricane Drunk, @happiestgirl)

This cover of Peter Gabriel's 1986 hit song, was posted on SoundCloud in 2013 as
    a Father’s Day gift for her dad. The original song is most famous for being the soundtrack to that iconic boombox scene in the 80s movie, Say Anything.

The original is actually one of my favourite songs ever, which is probably why I scored this so high. Although I prefer the original, I love that she completely made it her own. This was also one of the first songs she put out so it holds a special place in my heart. Some of ya'll definitely showed your age with these comments:

OspreyQueen (4) - Maybe I’d like this more if I heard the original, but as it stands this is just a forgettable mass of whooshy synths and stuff.

evilsin (8.5) - I don't know the original, but this was very nice.

Sprockrooster (6) - Meh.

Ana Raquel (5) -
    It's....... there. Probably will forget about it until the end of my ballot.

sfmartin (9) - Fantastic cover. Spooky and atmospheric and enchanting.

Music Is Life (9) - I love the production.

godspeed (8) - An interesting take on a Peter Gabriel classic. BANKS somehow elevated the song for me by really putting her touch to it, it feels like an original song, it feels very "her." The guitar on the second chorus sounds so good.

[​IMG]

[artwork by Daily Banks]

Meditation Song

Score: 6.491

My Score:
    Highest: 9 x 3 (@elektroxx, @The Hot Rock, @Sprockrooster)
    Lowest: 2 x 1 (@Hurricane Drunk) 3 x 2 (@abael, @happiestgirl)

This song premiered as part of Zane Lowe’s 2014 re-score of the movie Drive for Radio 1. It was played alongside other exclusive tracks, such as The 1975's "Medicine" and CHVRCHES' "Get Away". All of which got official releases, but "Meditation Song" remains unreleased to this day. Which is probably why I had actually never heard it either until I was putting together the song list. I feel like she could have thrown it up on SoundCloud at the very least. Your comments for this one killed me:

evilsin (7) - Nice aaaaaaahs.

Music Is Life (8) - I like the part where she started singing.

OspreyQueen (5) - Quite nice but I don’t need three minutes of it.

Guy (8) - I have never heard this before but I think I’m stanning?? Buddha WHO​

Sprockrooster (9) - Channel your inner Enya queen with those long echoing adlibs.

Untouchable Ace (7.2) - She should have committed and not included any lyrics. Instead she could have gone an octave higher and belted a different melody.

godspeed (8.5) - I've been a BANKS' fan for a couple of years but somehow managed to never hear this song. This is very nice and quite hypnotic, and it clearly wouldn't be out of place on Goddess. I don't see how this relates to Drive but it's beautiful.

Veeis (7.5) - It's actually very nice, I would love it to be officially released.

The Hot Rock (9) - Wish this could've been part of The Altar or otherwise official release. Would've made a great intro track.

5. Thank yew.

Untouchable Ace likes this.

[​IMG]

[artwork by ohnostalgia]

What About Love

Score: 6.644

My Score:
    Highest: 10 x 2 (@RUNAWAY, @Slice of Life) 9.5 x 1 (@Music Is Life)
    Lowest: 3 x 2 (@Ana Raquel, @Verandi)

This song is so beautiful what is wrong with some of ya'll???
    That piano, those strings, the lyrics, her voice!

[​IMG]

I think it's the perfect closer to III and it deserved better.
    Here is what Banks had to say about this song:

"I don’t know when exactly I wrote ‘What About Love,’ but I wouldn’t shut up about it after. My management was like, ‘We get it, you like that song.’ I was like, ‘You guys don’t get it, this song is amazing!‘ I don’t have a favourite song that I’ve ever written, but there’s something about that song that felt life-changing to me. I’ve been listening to a lot of gospel the last few years, and melodically, it feels so full. It feels like it’s written from the exact thing that I feel like my album is about: the life cycle. It’s an adult situation—‘I belong to no one, and you belong to someone else’—yet it’s sung from this really innocent perspective of, but what about love? It doesn’t matter if that’s an unrealistic situation, what about love? Love can make it work."

sfmartin (4) - I find this quite boring.

Veeis (4) - I would be good without that one.

Sprockrooster (6) - Not as powerful as her other closers and I wish she continued that streak for me.

OspreyQueen (7.5) - I like that this album closes on something a bit more “normal”. It’s not one of her best, but it’s a pleasant change of pace.

Constantino (7.5) - I have very high standards for closing tracks, and this meets them. I love how...traditional (classic, maybe?) the production and melody is, especially on an album where she takes some big risks and they don’t always work out.

Untouchable Ace (8.1) - Staying on trend with subtle 90's influences. Don't be affraid to use Question marks though honey.

Guy (7.5) - Love ha raspy ass vocals forever & always.

evilsin (8) - Another wistful jam.

Music Is Life (9.5) - Ooo this also kinda has a jazzy feel. Love it.

godspeed (8) - I don't know if this is because Buddy Ross produced this sweet R&B song but it gives me a strong Frank Ocean/Blonde vibe, especially the outro that is SObeautiful. What a way to close the album! R&B BANKS sounds so good, I hope she keeps exploring these more organic and soulful sounds in the future!

7. Y'ALL.

Remorque, Oleander, evilsin and 3 others like this.
  8. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

Bitch.....how?!

9. I knew III was gonna have a rough time but I was expecting Look What You're Doing to Me to get a mass reaming and that would be it for a bit.

I'm...

10. III is her best album.

11. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

SHUT THE FUCK UP WHAT THE FUCK
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. There were also A LOT of 4s and 5s. I wanted to expose you all, but I was too lazy to copy/paste all of them.

13. Guy

Guy

What About Love is so pretty. I should have known ||| would be done dirty.
    Goddess needs quite a bit of trimming before we get to the top 40.

14. That's not it, fam.

15. III is just... not great. Couldn’t even tell you how ‘What About Love’, or probably even the entire second half of the album goes.

Verandi likes this.
  16. Your loss!

HippoSteaks, Remorque, Dijah. and 5 others like this.
  17. [​IMG]

18. One of my few 10s here is a ballad. Also this is not the Pink rate x

Untouchable Ace likes this.

[​IMG]

[artwork by ohnostalgia]

Work (feat. Lil Silva)

Score: 6.722

My Score: 6
    Highest: 10 x 2 (@Ana Raquel, @evilsin)
    Lowest: 3 x 1 (@Lost Boy) 3.5 x 1 (@alejandrusco)

"Work", released in 2013, was the first song Lil Silva and BANKS worked on together. Shortly after becoming labelmates, BANKS sent him a song that was originally a ballad and Silva ~worked~ his magic on it. The song was later included on BANKS' debut EP "Fall Over" released that same year.

sfmartin (5) - Lively. A bit cluttered. Repetitive. Monotone beats.

RUNAWAY (7) - These Lil Silva collabs just ain’t it. SORRY.

godspeed (6) - That old school BANKS! Definitely puts a smile on my face to hear this song now. It didn't age well though!

Dijah. (7.5) - Still bops today.

Veeis (6) - The most unexpected song that didn't know I would hear from Banks.

Untouchable Ace (7.1) - I think a Katy B track got shuffled into the playlist.

OspreyQueen (8) - Well this is a surprise! I had no idea she made this Katy B-esque bop, and I can definitely put it to use right now when the real Katy B is in retirement. I actually wouldn’t mind her (Banks, that is) doing a couple more house songs like this.

Sprockrooster (8) - At times this sounds to be PC Music to me, but I can't deny it's infectiousness, so I won't and I bop!

Music Is Life (9) - This is really basic, but I bop.

evilsin (10) - This had no right to go in so hard.

Ana Raquel (10) - Favorite of the extras.

Constantino - 9 - Lmao you best believe my 15-year-old self was anemically voguing the house down in my room to this back in the day. This still knocks harder than Amii Stewart when presented with a wooden surface.

And I drove you crazy,
    and I drove you crazy

And I drove you crazy,

and I drove you crazy

And I drove you crazy,

and I drove you crazy

And I drove you crazy,

and I drove you crazy
    And I drove you crazy,

and I drove you crazy

And I drove you crazy,

and I drove you crazy

And I drove you crazy,

and I drove you crazy

And I drove you crazy,

and I drove you crazy

And I drove you crazy,

and I drove you crazy

And I drove you crazy,

and I drove you crazy

And I drove you crazy,

and I drove you crazy

And I drove you crazy,

and I drove you crazy
    And I drove you crazy,

and I drove you crazy

And I drove you crazy,

and I drove you crazy

And I drove you crazy,

and I drove you crazy

And I drove you crazy,

and I drove you crazy
    And I drove you crazy,
    and I drove you crazy

And I drove you crazy,

and I drove you crazy

And I drove you crazy,

and I drove you crazy

And I drove you crazy,

and I drove you crazy
    And I drove you crazy,

and I drove you crazy

And I drove you crazy,

and I drove you crazy

And I drove you crazy,

and I drove you crazy

And I drove you crazy,

and I drove you crazy

[​IMG]

[artwork by ohnostalgia]

And I Drove You Crazy

Score: 6.772

Highest:
    10 x 2 (@slaybellz, @elektroxx)
    Lowest: 3 x 2 (@The Hot Rock, @sfmartin)

Anyone else get super out of breath trying to sing all the "and I drove your crazy" lines in this song?
    No, just me? Okay...

This song is the only deluxe track on Goddess, that wasn't released prior to the album. And it's one of my favourites on that album. Sad to see it go so early!

RUNAWAY (6.5) - So goddamn irritating. that repetitive part through the ENTIRE song was a damn CHOICE.

sfmartin (3) - This is a bit of a mess.

Sprockrooster (6) - I honestly could do without this one.

Veeis (6) - It feels a bit undercooked?

OspreyQueen (7) - It’s fine, but I can see why it’s a deluxe track.

happiestgirl (5) - At the end of the albums all these songs, while beautiful, begin to blend together.

godspeed (7) - Out of the 4 bonus tracks on Goddess, this is my least favorite. I don't mind something a bit more experimental and deconstructed, but here the production just sounds a bit messy in my opinion. This being said, it's not a song I skip when I listen to the album in its entirety so it must be doing something well.

Music Is Life (9) - This is cute. Ohhhhh the production just built. Now that’s what I’m talking about. Still, the song isn’t as great as others. The repeating of the title gets on my nerves a bit.

evilsin (9.5) - The ability of this track to remain in my head is quite astounding.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.