The BANKS Discography Rate | Page 13 | The Popjustice Forum

The BANKS Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by slaybellz, Jul 29, 2019.

1. constantino, Remorque, Dijah. and 8 others like this.
  2. In Your Eyes is a perfectly serviceable cover and Jillian really made it her own, but there's just not enough... there to grab on to. The original is a fucking classic due to it being included in one of my favourite '80s movies, so nothing's really ever going to beat it.

Meditation Song's a whole lotta nothing and should have been gone earlier, but y'all are really throwing out songs like What About Love and And I Drove You Crazy already?

3. Noooo, I love these two.

4. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Thanks! @slaybellz gave me a bunch of pictures to choose from, so I had a head start.

Remorque, Dijah., nikkysan and 6 others like this.

[​IMG]

1998 (feat. Chet Faker)

Score: 6.944

My Score:
    Highest: 10 x 2 (@elektroxx, @yeRleDanaL)
    Lowest: 3 x 1 (@Verandi)

This song is a remix of Nick Murphy's (FKA Chet Faker) 2014 single. This remix premiered on Zane Lowe's World Record a year later. I don't have much to say about this one, I find it just okay.

happiestgirl (5) - Why does this remind me of Closer by the Chainsmokers....

Music Is Life (7.5) - This also feels kinda basic and I enjoy it less than the other one.

OspreyQueen (6.5) - Cute throwaway bop. For a collaboration it’s fine.

constantino (7) - This is really cute, a strutting song for sure. What a lovely tribute to the year I was born in.

evilsin (8) - Once the synths come in, this gets really good.

sfmartin (7) - A bop!

Sprockrooster (8) - Banger

godspeed (9) - I had forgotten about this major house bop! Wow! This is so good. This so so sooooo good!

Untouchable Ace (9.2) - Excellent song in the first place with some nice added Banks.

I see you trying to jack, you little copycat

Already onto my next thing so you can have that

We don't care bout your crew

I ONLY CHILL WITH BANKS!

[​IMG]

I'll ride for TĀLĀ too

We just need our wolfpack!

[​IMG]

Wolfpack (feat. TĀLĀ)

Score: 6.975

Highest:
    9.5 x 1 (@slaybellz) 9 x 3 (@Ana Raquel, @Music Is Life, @evilsin)
    Lowest: 3 x 1 (@abael) 4 x 2 (@sfmartin, @rdp)

And with that we lose the last of the features.

TĀLĀ is a British-Iranian producer and artist from London, who's music blends electronic and R&B with her Iranian heritage. In 2015 she teamed up with BANKS for the first single off her third EP "Malika". I honestly think both their styles mesh together so well and this song is a whole ass bop.

I also love that she addresses all her imitators in the line I quoted above. I was actually gonna do a segment during the voting period called "ROBBING BANKS". Highlighting all the artists who have "borrowed" from her but I didn't have the time in the end. Maybe i'll do it later on, or post rate.

OspreyQueen (5) - Most of what I’ve heard from TĀLĀ has been really boring, and frankly this isn’t an exception. This song just sounds so confused, like it can’t decide what genre it wants to be, and it’s not even interesting or subversive, it’s just a mess. And those screams are really annoying too.

godspeed (8) - I really don't know TĀLĀ's music so I'm not really the best person to talk about this but I love how it's different from what BANKS usually does, yet it doesn't sound like another artist's song... if that makes any sense! Anyway, issa bop.

Music Is Life (9) - This is cute.

evilsin (9) - What a lovely discovery!

Sprockrooster (8) - These two create magic as their vocals sound as such a great match.

You should check out this bop too:

6. "1998" remains one of my favorite songs, so adding BANKS to it just made me like it more. Also, speaking of BANKS collaborating with TĀLĀ, did we ever get this or does this remain unreleased?

7. Wow totally forgot about this. I'm gonna guess it remains unreleased.

Untouchable Ace and elektroxx like this.
  8. Why won't Jillian release any of my favorite bops? *Cries in unreleased bop from X-Men: Dark Phoenix.*

Music Is Death and slaybellz like this.
  9. "Wolfpack" is great, y'all. Could've let it have that 7 point average.

10. I discovered Wolfpack because of this rate and what. a. bop. Love it!

11. No eliminations tonight, but i'm planning on doing a quadruple elimination tomorrow. Ya'll really fucked up with these next ones and i've got a lot to say about it so i'm gonna take a day to recharge and properly write up these draggings.

12. Those eliminations for now were quite right (except throwing out pretty amazing Meditation Song), so I'm excited to see how we fucked up tomorrow!

slaybellz likes this.
  13. [​IMG]

Alright so at this point, after having seen the results of many rates on this hot pink hell hole, I always go in expecting the "where are the bops tho?" crowd to tank all the ballads. But this time I thought maybe, just maybe, it'll be different for BANK's rate. I mean BANKS does ballads so right!
    But NOPE! Ya'll did your usual thing.

All of you Acoustiphobic people who go into every rate and tank all the ballads. What is your damage, Heather? What do you guys listen to when you're sad, when you're relaxing, when you're concentrating? Is it just bops o'clock 24/7? Do you ever simmer down?

I challenge all of you who see your name in the lowest scores section below multiple times to post ONE slow song that you like. I just want to understand you!

[​IMG]

[artwork by ohnostalgia]

Sawzall

Score: 7.072

My Score:
    Highest: 10 x 3 (@RUNAWAY, @godspeed, @Petty Mayonnaise)
    Lowest: 4 x 2 (@happiestgirl, @Verandi) 5 x 3 (@soratami, @Veeis, @Hurricane Drunk) 5.5 x 1 (@Lost Boy) 5.8 x 1 (@Untouchable Ace)

A quote from BANKS explaining the title's meaning:

"A sawzall is actually a tool. It’s a saw, but in order for it to work, it goes back and forth, push and pull, and that’s exactly like some relationships— every relationship, really."

happiestgirl (4) - Unmemorable

Veeis (5) - Sorry, this is doing nothing to me at the moment.

Sprockrooster (6) - Love the first verse, bridge and outro. So I wish she made an interlude out of those parts, cause the rest seems a bit put together from several pieces.

OspreyQueen (7) - I have…mixed thoughts on this song. The lyrics are absolutely heartbreaking and, kinda like To The Hilt, remove the comfort of her usual crypticness. But the effects on her vocals are just plain weird and not in a good way, and the production is pretty bland despite some nice twists here and there.

Guy (7) - The vulnerability is definitely there. The tuning on her voice doesn’t quite work for me here, though.

Dijah. (9.5) - I’m still trying to figure out exactly what this song is about, but I love it.

Remorque (8) - The production on this one's all over the place not knowing if it wants to be a piano ditty, a soft-rock ballad or an acoustic song, but Jillian's performance is what won me over.

Music Is Life (9) - I wasn’t suspecting the jazzy piano intro. Kinda wish it kept that vibe throughout the song but it’s still pretty great though, so I’m not too mad.

sfmartin (6) - I really like the guitar riff and the way it progresses.

evilsin (8) - Love the light feeling this one has. "I told you I'm sorry / I know you are" always lingers with me.

RUNAWAY (10) - What don’t you say that you need me? I’m crying right now while listening to this. it’s one of her best, most vulnerable songs ever. it was so close to being my 11. these lyrics are absolutely heartbreaking. damn she can write. that “I TOLD YOU I’M SORRY” gets me EVERY DAMN TIME.

godspeed (10) - This song is stunning. I don't know what it's about, someone said it could be about a friend who committed suicide... I doubt it is, but I can't unhear now and it just made the song even more beautiful and sad for me. The production is a work of art. The best thing about III is the magic BANKS and Buddy Ross created together and this is a perfect proof of that. The musicality here is so strong and it does feel like it's something new in BANKS' discography while still totally making sense. They managed to create a song that is sad lyrically, yet extremely luminous musically. And also, nobody gets away with a line like "Certified to scuba dive in my memory." No one. Yet, she does.​

[​IMG]

[artwork by ohnostalgia]

Under The Table

Score: 7.078

My Score:
    Highest: 10 x 6 (@RUNAWAY, @Music Is Life, @Slice of Life, @Untouchable Ace, @godspeed, @rdp)
    Lowest: 2 x 2 (@Ana Raquel, @Verandi) 4 x 1 (@happiestgirl) 5 x 4 (@Veeis, @Hurricane Drunk, @sfmartin, @Petty Mayonnaise)

Imagine listening to this and feeling nothing. Imagine that... For those of you who mentioned sleep, yes, this IS the type of song you cry yourself to sleep to. I agree.

Veeis (5) - I don't really like it.

happiestgirl (4) - Definitely sleep inducing.

sfmartin (5) - This is pretty snoozy. Really strong vocals.

OspreyQueen (7) - This is pretty, but compared to the other amazing ballads on the album it’s not that memorable.

Sprockrooster (8) - The pause always confuses me a bit. As a song this serves his job as closer, especially with that vocal change. You want to end on that high, that the album started with too.

evilsin (8) - So raw!

RUNAWAY (10) - Please tell me that this could be easy, i’m tired of waiting for permission to love. This is one of her most perfect tracks, especially when she starts shouting the phrase before. She’s such a damn artist.

Untouchable Ace (10) - Heartbreak is your game.

godspeed (10) - I always thought this was a nice closer for Goddess but nothing more. But then a few months ago, while I was going through something, I listened to the album for the first time in a while and "Under The Table" just hit me like a fucking train on a track(wrong rate for this, sorry). The level of vulnerability and raw emotion on this record... wow. I love how calm the entire song is until BANKS belts out the last chorus. It adds even more emotion to those lyrics and to this song. A FINALE."

Music Is Life (10) - GREAT standard closer, made me wanna cry. The violin, the piano, her vocals – everything about this is beautiful.

[​IMG]

Someone New

Score: 7.081

My Score:
    Highest: 10 x 4 (@RUNAWAY, @Music Is Life, @Slice of Life, @rdp)
    Lowest: 2 x 2 (@Ana Raquel, @Verandi) 3 x 2 (@happiestgirl, @sfmartin) 4 x 2 (@yeRleDanaL, @abael) 5 x 1 (@The Hot Rock) 5.1 x 1 (@Untouchable Ace)

Yes, this is a stripped back acoustic song. Yes, this has an infectious catchy chorus. They exist.

happiestgirl (3) - Too acoustic-y for me to enjoy it.

godspeed (7.5) - The acoustic cut on Goddess. A vulnerable and relatable song that is very pretty but that I never really listen to out of the context of the album.

Veeis (7.5) - Heartbreaking and really beautiful, she does the best songs when she's vulnerable.

OspreyQueen (8) - This could very easily be MOR sludge, but it’s elevated by her uncompromising lyrics and unique voice. When I first heard the album I was gobsmacked that she’d made an acoustic ballad I actually liked.

Music Is Life (10) - Ooooooo acoustic guitar ballad! I love these even more than piano ones. This was absolutely heartbreaking. Chill and tears inducing.

Sprockrooster (8.5) - She can damn sell these heartthrobs for a song.

RUNAWAY (10) - One of her absolute best most heartbreaking ballads. It brings me to the verge of tears every time.

[​IMG]

To The Hilt

Score: 7.134

My Score:
    Highest: 10 x 5 (@elektroxx, @The Hot Rock, @Sprockrooster @Music Is Life @Petty Mayonnaise)
    Lowest: 2 x 3 (@Ana Raquel, @abael, @Verandi) 3 x 1 (@yeRleDanaL) 4 x 2 (@Hurricane Drunk, @happiestgirl) 5 x 1 (@Guy) 5.5 x 1 (@rdp)

"It is special to me, that song. It’s sacred to me. It just feels… It felt like it needed to be the last thing you heard from me. It’s a bit gentle. It also doesn’t fit in between songs. It needs space because it’s so emotional. It needs time to breathe and to be digested." — BANKS with Stories Behind The Songs

Ana Raquel (2) - The only song on this album that I truly dislike.

Guy (5) - I’m not even a ballad hater, but this song can be genuinely boring. I can only really focus and connect with it when I read along to the lyrics online. It’s BEAUTIFULLY written, I just wish it were sonically a bit more captivating.

evilsin (6) - Wistful.

Veeis (8) - Gorgeous and heartbreaking.

OspreyQueen (8) - I love how this song steps back from the fantasticality of most of Banks’s lyrics and tells its story in plain English for the most part. It’s a jarring shift, but it just makes the song hit even closer to home.

Untouchable Ace (9.8) - It seems only Adele and Banks can execute a piano ballad like this with the conviction and command needed.

Sprockrooster (10) - Sometimes you just need a piano and your message is louder than ever.

Music Is Life (10) - Oof at this piano ballad. I’m gonna go have a long cry now. (Not really.)

Dijah. (9) - The lyrics :(

sfmartin (8) - Gut wrenching emotion. Not a song I could listen to over and over again but powerful. You can feel the pain in her voice. I like the way it ends on a whimper only because of the shout that follows after.

godspeed (8) - The most vulnerable song on The Altar and a beautiful one! I've always considered "27 Hours" as the final track on the album but since it is actually a bonus track - wtf? - I see how "To The Hilt" makes sense as the album closer. I love how BANKS keeps it very simple during the entire song and doesn't try to create another "Under The Table" where there's a huge emotional climax towards the end. The subtlety of The Altar is probably one of the album's greatest quality now that I think about it."

The Hot Rock (10) - Her best standard album closer.

14. The balladphobia strikes again.

15. Oh, wow. Y'all hate ballads, don't you? They all deserve better, but "Sawzall" and "To The Hilt" in particular.

16. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

...Okay well at least You Should Know Where I'm Coming From is still in for now.

17. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

I give up. You balladphobic heauxs are so tasteless. You deserve to be banned from Popjustice tbh.

18. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

Why ballots from 2 of these voters keep getting accepted in ANY rate is beyond me. I’m so tired of this. All 4 of those songs deserved to go much farther.

19. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

They were tanking ballads in the Mariah rate, so BANKS never stood a chance.

20. Oh my God I'm terrified now. I gave my 11 to a ballad.

constantino, Remorque, Guy and 9 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.