The BANKS Discography Rate | Page 22 | The Popjustice Forum

The BANKS Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by slaybellz, Jul 29, 2019.

1. I'd be fine losing 27 Hours and This Is What It Feels Like... The rest are all 9+ for me I believe

marguerite peace in my heart.GIF

Guy, Untouchable Ace and slaybellz like this.
  2. Four people will lose their 11 today.

[​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[artwork by ohnostalgia]

Alaska

Score: 8.203

Highest:
    10 x 6 (@slaybellz, @soratami, @happiestgirl, @Untouchable Ace, @Petty Mayonnaise, @Guy)
    Lowest: 5.5 (@Lost Boy) 6 x 3 (@alejandrusco, @jacobhalkohit, @rdp) 6.5 x 1 (@Ana Raquel)

A quote from BANKS on how the song came to be:

"When I write a lot, sometimes I dream melodies. Then. I’ll wake up and be like, ‘Oh my God, I wrote a song in my sleep last night. It was so good.’ And there have been a few times in my life where I wake up and I actually remember what I wrote. And it always trips me out because it feels like, it’s this crazy melody that wouldn’t have existed if I didn’t tap into some weird unconscious state. I woke up repeating this one morning: ‘He’s going to leave me for Alaska.’ It just felt so easy. That’s why it sounds all trippy. Because it’s from a dream."

Sprockrooster (7) - As a geographer teacher I am pleased to see the final two states of the US (Hawaii and Alaska) referenced in the song title being back to back on the album. They both are also the only ones not connected to the mainland and I am not sure if that is intentional they are both chosen to be included as she often references not being connected to mainstream society. I also adore the difference between both tracks (Hawaiian Mazes) and (Alaska) as the states itself could not be more different with the tropical island group and the polar northern state. It is this juxtaposition that makes me appreciate Alaska so much more as on it's own merits it is basically filler to me.

Ana Raquel (6.5) -
    Filler but slightly boppier.

sfmartin (7) - A very different song for Jillian. It works in many ways but it doesn’t hit hard enough for me. Quite catchy melody though.

Veeis (7.5) - Interesting to say the least, at first I was confused but it's good song. It gets in your head after few spins.

constantino (8) - This song is so STUPID, but it’s one of her most straight-up and catchy bops to date. I also think this song features some of the best production and mixing on the album.

Remorque (8.5) - This would be a 10 because those verses and that chorus are sublime, but alas it's not. It's like every time it picks up it wants to go somewhere, but then... doesn't. That outro could've been handled a lot better.

OspreyQueen (9.5) - This was my immediate favourite from III, but now…I dunno if it’s THAT good. I love the world-music influences and the way they mesh with the glitchy electronics, and the chorus is catchy as fuck, but when I listen to it under a microscope, it’s missing…something. Maybe the lyrics are a little too specific to resonate with me.

Guy (10) - A weird little bop. It’s definitely different for her, but it still manages to sound authentically BANKS.

evilsin (8.5) - The tribal-lite beat and that catchy hook are everything.

godspeed (8.5) - The song is a stone cold bop, the percussions have this weird-organic sound that reminds me of "Haunt" and immediately makes me feel like I joined a cult, the violin you can hear in the back during certain parts of the song makes it even creepier but it's so good, and the final breakdown that is a bit more R&B-influenced is a real delight. But something has been on my mind ever since I first heard "Alaska"... WHO THE HELL IS JIMMY?!

Untouchable Ace (10)
    - Oh Jimmy, holding onto me too tight.

Music Is Life (9.5) - Oof love the production throughout this. It goes so hard.

happiestgirl (10) - When that frantic pleading chorus starts...fucking transcendent

4. Praying for Mother Earth and 27 Hours!

Untouchable Ace likes this.

5. And when will you get tired of feeling bad?

And every time you fall, follow me

[​IMG]

[artwork by ohnostalgia]

Mother Earth

Score: 8.275

Highest:
    11 x 4 (@RUNAWAY, @nikkysan, @Slice of Life, @Petty Mayonnaise) 10 x 9 (@slaybellz, @Dijah., @elektroxx, @yeRleDanaL, @constantino, @Music Is Life, @SlowGinFizzzz, @Guy, @rdp)
    Lowest: 4 x 1 (@Verandi) 5 x 3 (@Ana Raquel, @abael, @Hurricane Drunk) 6 x 4 (@The Hot Rock, @soratami, @happiestgirl, @Lost Boy)

"Mother Earth" is the 8th track on The Altar and seamlessly follows her empowerment anthem, "Weaker Girl". BANKS wrote the song after her sister gave birth to a baby girl. At the time, she was also coming out of a depression, which she has struggled with since her youth. A quote from BANKS on the lyrics:

"It’s a song of healing and wanting. Follow me, and when you fall, follow me. Coming together. Me being the healer, almost. I wanted to give my energy and hold the hand of another woman who has felt how I feel. I think a wounded healer is a lot more powerful than a healer that has not been wounded."

Ana Raquel (5) - I should hate this... but I don't?

OspreyQueen (7) - It’s a bit Natasha Bedingfield.

evilsin (7) - The harmonized chorus is a highlight here.

Veeis (8) - Beautiful ballad and beautiful instrumentation.

sfmartin (8) - It’s a very pretty song with gospelly vibes, very different than anything she has done before. It’s not something I would chose to listen to over and over again. The melody is very pretty though.

godspeed (8) - At first, I wasn't a fan of this. Somehow, acoustic BANKS never moved me as much as I thought she would. But obviously, "Mother Earth" ended up growing on me and I find it quite touching. I like how this is kind of the "big ballad" of the album yet it's quite intimate. I like how they used a string section on this track and the previous on the album, "Weaker Girl," creating a very nice and interesting contrast between the two. "Weaker Girl" is BANKS being bold and confident even in the midst of what seems to be a toxic relationship, while "Mother Earth" is her being openly vulnerable and looking for comfort. Three years later, I totally understand why so many people consider this song a stand out on The Altar.

Sprockrooster (8) - Those lyrics alone do not deserve a placement outside of the top 30 again (see AltPop-girls 2016).

constantino (10) - I-...I have decided to ascend. Let’s make a pact to do this song RIGHT this time, ladies. We don’t want a repeat of The Incident, now, do we?

Music Is Life (10) - GORGEOUS acoustic guitar ballad, with different elements in the production. I love the lyrics even though I’m not 100% certain what she’s singing about.

Dijah. (10) - A MOMENT! As much as I love Jillian’s darker, moodier songs with heavy production, tracks like Mother Earth are where her talents shine the brightest. I can’t believe she gave us a song THIS incredible as early as her second album.

Guy (10) - Her best vocal performance? 11 worthy. I’m not even entirely sure what this song means but I’ve sobbed to it anyway. This really should be considered her signature ballad, if only it had more exposure for the casuals.

RUNAWAY (11) - What can I even say about this song without breaking down and crying? It is everything I ever wanted and ever needed. She is...the mother I never had. She is the sister...that everybody would want. She is the friend that everybody deserves. I don’t know a better song. I DON’T KNOW a better song.

6. OH FOR FUCK’S SAKE

7. And with that we lose our last acoustic ballad... Congratulations fuckers. Ya'll won.

8. Mother Earth gone already? TRASH.

9. I....

@everyone that tanked legendary miss Mother Earth:
    Diva Gun.png

10. What a disappointment. Mind Games and Mother Earth are probably my two favourite Banks ballads and absolute career highlights, and both gone much too soon. Apparently not everyone is enough of a connoisseur to acknowledge and appreciate their brilliance.

11. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

This is fucking bullshit.

12. I'm not super familiar with all of Banks' discography but Mother Earth out of the top 20 is a crime

13. Guy

Guy

Me seeing the endless praise for Mother Earth in this thread and thinking it was a shoe-in for the top 10 top 3

[​IMG]

14. Y'all. What are y'all doing? I'm so tired of y'all and your anti-ballad attitude.

15. lmao

16. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

17. I CAN'T SAVE THIS RATE

MAMA I NEED HELP

[​IMG]

[artwork by ohnostalgia]

Propaganda

Score: 8.303

Highest:
    10 x 9 (@slaybellz, @elektroxx, @yeRleDanaL, @RUNAWAY, @happiestgirl, @Music Is Life, @Slice of Life, @Untouchable Ace, @SlowGinFizzzz)
    Lowest: 5.5 x 1 (@alejandrusco) 6 x 3 (@The Hot Rock, @soratami, @Verandi) 6.5 x 1 (@Hurricane Drunk)

A quote from BANKS on the lyrics:

"Propaganda is about feeling like you’re too deep into something and you need help getting out of it. There’s one lyric in there that says, ‘I decided that suicide is on my side’ It’s pretty dark, but it’s not actually meant to be like that. It’s supposed to be that unsureness that could possibly be negative for you but it’s also exciting and intriguing for you and you’re like, ‘Oh no, I’m about to fall down this slide,’ like, ‘Mom, help me out of here, help me out of this."

OspreyQueen (7) - It’s a serviceable bop, but I don’t come to Banks for serviceable bops. I haven’t come back to this one much since III’s release.

godspeed (7) - This is a nice song, it's catchy and does its thing. Actually, it kind of reminds me of "Beggin For Thread" a bit. It's not a favorite or a very memorable track but I won't skip it.

constantino (7) - A great companion track to Gimme, and very much what I expected from the album based on the lead single. 20 years ago, this would have been its B Side.

Sprockrooster (7.5) - That chorus makes me fly.

Dijah. (8) - This is just the III version of Beggin For Thread but it still slaps.

Ana Raquel (8) - Loses power in the end, but good enough.

Guy (8.5) - I love this, and I can obviously see why it’s a fan favorite from the album, but every time I listen to it for the rate I lower my score a tad ddd.

sfmartin (9) - Really catchy.

Veeis (9.7) - Oh what a banger and a great song. She also delivered some great lyrics there.

Untouchable Ace (10) - I'm love with the synth keyboard progression. Similar tunes are the basis for amazing songs.

Music Is Life (10) - I wanna DANCE! Insert THAT Lindsey Lohan gif. P.S. I love the lyrics.

happiestgirl (10) - Saw her live recently and this was the surprise standout of the concert. Really won me over not to just this song, but the album in general.

[​IMG]

Goddess

Score: 8.319

My Score:
    Highest: 10 x 8 (@Ana Raquel, @yeRleDanaL, @soratami, @happiestgirl, @Music Is Life, @Lost Boy, @godspeed, @Remorque)
    Lowest: 5 x 2 (@alejandrusco, @Verandi) 6 x 1 (@Guy)

"Goddess" is the title track off of BANKS' debut album. The song was released as an instant-grat when she finally announced the release of the album.

Veeis (7.4) - Another one that grew up on me after some time, cute title track.

RUNAWAY (7.5) - This song doesn’t really do anything for me anymore, sadly. I was never the biggest fan originally, but knowing how much better she can do really puts me off the lyrics and production of this song.

constantino (8) - Not quite as mind-blowingly incredible as I seem to remember it being, but this remains a total moment for her. I remember shitting my pants when this premiered as Radio 1’s hottest record.

The Hot Rock (8) - Definitely feels a bit rare/special in context of her discog due to how empowering this is. Most of her other stuff isn't like that dddddd.

OspreyQueen (8) - “Fuckin with a goddess and you get a little colder” is worth 6 of these points. What an unforgettable line.

Sprockrooster (8) - I love a lyrical twist and she does it brilliantly here.

evilsin (8.5) - The harmonized runs all throughout the track are so sublime here.

Untouchable Ace (8.8) - It's just easier and simpler to make a good song if she makes it dark-funk.

sfmartin (9) - A cracking song. So much attitude. I adore the hypnotic and entrancing outro.

Music Is Life (10) - Love the production on this. The lyrics are great, but the production is really where this song shines.

godspeed (10) - The title track of BANKS' debut album was almost was my 11. I don't think I could really explain why I love this song so much... Well, first off, probably because this song came into my life at a veryyy special time and helped soundtrack this moment. But really, I just like the way this song makes me feel. BANKS showed off a certain confidence on this track - "Fuckin' with a goddess, and you get a little colder" - but at the same time, "Goddess" seems so deeply rooted in pain and disappointment caused by a failed relationship. This contrast between BANKS' confidence demonstrated in calling herself "a goddess" and the actual subject matter of the song is beautiful and truly upsetting at the same time. Jillian sure is a goddess for writing such an incredible song.

18. TOP 20

GODDESS

7/18

Waiting Game
    Brain
    This Is What It Feels Like
    Fuck Em Only We Know
    Drowning
    Beggin For Thread
    Change

THE ALTAR

7/13

Gemini Feed
    Lovesick
    Trainwreck
    This Is Not About Us
    Weaker Girl
    Poltergeist
    27 Hours

III

5/13

Gimme
    Contaminated
    Stroke
    Godless
    The Fall

EXTRAS

1/12

Underdog

19. Contaminated, Stroke, and Godless (the holy trinity of III) all making it this far is one of the only slivers of justice in this traumatic rate. I’m proud of them.

20. Not "Goddess" being eliminated before the Top 20. What even?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.