The BANKS Discography Rate

she/her/brat
qb0anxm2fcr11.jpg

You don't believe in one divine

But can't you tell me you believe in mine?

Cause you've been my god, my god

And when you're gone, I'm godless, I'm godless

Godless.jpg

[artwork by ohnostalgia]

Godless

Score: 8.519

Highest:
10 x 9 (@slaybellz, @elektroxx, @OspreyQueen, @Music Is Life, @Slice of Life, @SlowGinFizzzz, @sfmartin, @Guy)
Lowest: 6 x 3 (@soratami, @abael, @nikkysan)

A quote from BANKS explaining the story behind the song:

"I dated someone and we broke up and I hadn’t spoke to him in a few months. I wrote about him on The Altar and I felt really awkward. It’s weird when you write about someone and they’ll probably know— I put everything into my music, and people who I love and love me probably know that I will. But I hadn’t talked to him in a long time. A few years later, I ended up seeing him again, and he played me this song that he had started but that had never finished, but it was about me, and it was a verse of ‘Godless’. It was like a little seed of it, and I was like ‘Oh my God, I need to finish this song.’. It’s kind of funny— we’re great friends now, but it’s like, you couldn’t get more closure from a relationship than collaborating on a song about what you went through, I guess."

Sprockrooster (7) - I wish this somehow references Goddess (the album or track) more clearly cause I expected that with this title.

godspeed (7) - I enjoy this song, it's actually good and I love how we went from "Goddess" to "Godless." But in the context of the album, I find this track quite underwhelming because it just sounds like something that could have been on any of BANKS' album. And it's not like it was a bad thing, but it just sounds like something I've heard several times from her so I don't really care about it.

evilsin (7.5) - The middle 8 Reminds me of some other song with its pitch-changed vocals.

Ana Raquel (7.5) - I was listening to this and was thinking "wow this is too long how is it only 3 minutes long????" until I realized I was playing it on loop. Oops.

The Hot Rock (8) - Enjoyed the callback to Goddess.

Remorque (8) - This song kinda resonates with me in the fact that it's a prayer for someone who doesn't really believe anymore. There's still a slimmer of hope in there somewhere and it shows in her performance.

constantino (9) - OOFT. Contrary to the title, I can hear God.gif.

Veeis (9.5) - My instant favourite, it slaps you in the face. As a big fan of The Altar I was pleased, that song could easily be included there.

Untouchable Ace (9.6) - I can relate.

Dijah. (10) - One of her best songs, PERIODT.

OspreyQueen (10) - One of the most straightforward pop songs in her catalogue, but it still has plenty of her usual oddness. It actually makes me wonder what a more pop-leaning Banks album full of anthemic singalong choruses would sound like.

Guy (10) - Hear that? That’s growth. I love the story behind this as well.

sfmartin (10) - Wigless. She does this so well. A tried and tested formula. Well refined. Airtight melodies throughout. Once again very 90s Max Martin. Especially the bridge.

Music Is Life (10) - Ugh that production! These lyrics! Relatable. Love the melody as well.

he / him
I'd say that "Godless" deserved to be higher, but at this point, every left is of such a high calibre that everything deserves to be higher.

Triple elimination today to try to get back on track. Any guesses on which songs will miss out on the Top 10?

I'll give you a hint.
They're all from the same album.
All before the top 10?!?! This rate already has been savage and now I am holding on to my few faves left. I feel like I am not ready. Praying I am not tagged anytime soon by our host.

Please call me your baby, baby, baby

Look how long that you have kept me waiting

I'm all in, look at all that I have given

Lovesick-550.jpg

[artwork by ohnostalgia]

Lovesick

Score: 8.544

My Score: 8
Highest: 10 x 10 (@elektroxx, @yeRleDanaL, @OspreyQueen, @RUNAWAY, @alejandrusco, @Music Is Life, @Slice of Life, @Lost Boy, @Petty Mayonnaise, @rdp)
Lowest: 4 x 1 (@abael) 6 x 2 (@soratami, @Verandi)

BANKS first performed "Lovesick" in 2013, three years before it's official release on The Altar. At the time, she only had a verse and chorus written, parts which ended up in the final version.

A quote from BANKS on the song:

"All I really need to say about this song is: lust. It's lust, but gentle, like in a puppy-love way. It's not innocent, but it's new, it's butterflies, it's about wanting someone so badly."

evilsin (7) - The beat is so... gentle here.

Sprockrooster (8) - Honestly a mantra for every single person out there.

Veeis (8) - Very cute, it felt a bit fillery at first listens but now I find it essential to the album. Some really nice harmonies are present here.

sfmartin (9) - Chorus doesn't explode enough. I was expecting the production to take a bigger leap in the chorus. But I love the relentless thumping rhythm of the whole thing.

Guy (9) - The PERFECT soundtrack to a non-Christian shower.

constantino (8) - This is just so...pure. I want to wrap this song around me in the cold winter months.

The Hot Rock (9) - Love a lethargic bop. Makes me want to lay in bed and stare at my ceiling.

Remorque (8.5) - One of the lighter moments on The Altar, this is probably the song that resembles the Goddess productions the most.

godspeed (9.5) - After the first two tracks on the album which feel overwhelming, "Lovesick" appears as a quieter, subtler and low-key moment that is very welcome. This song has a R&B feel to it that I always really appreciated. It is kind of a bridge between Goddess and The Altar and, probably for that reason, was the most instant track on the album when I first listened to it.

OspreyQueen (10) - Musically I kinda see this as a sequel to Change. While they’re ultimately very different experiences that deal with very different topics, they do have some noticeable similarities. Like the fact that they’re both absolutely brilliant.

Music Is Life (10) - I love the way the production pulses, kinda reminds me of the True Disaster/Love Me Harder/Style/Your Type kinda production, but also different in some ways. More subdued. I’m swaying so much to this beat though.

RUNAWAY (10) - Again, seeing this song live in its unfinished infant years is one of the highlights of my Banks experience. It’s so amazing seeing how it transformed into the song it is now.

I killed everything we were

Baby, murder was a case

27-Hours.jpg

[artwork by ohnostalgia]

27 Hours

Score: 8.547

My Score:
Highest: 11 x 1 (@jacobhalkohit) 10 x 8 (@elektroxx, @RUNAWAY, @Sprockrooster, @happiestgirl, @Music Is Life, @Slice of Life, @Untouchable Ace, @godspeed)
Lowest: 3 x 1 (@abael) 5 x 1 (@yeRleDanaL) 6.5 (@rdp)

"27 Hours" is a digital exclusive track off of The Altar, that was not included on the standard physical version. When talking about the song BANKS stated:

"The second I stop writing the most honest, raw, vulnerable stuff is the day that I don’t wanna see."

evilsin (7) - The bass is exquisite on this one.

sfmartin (8) - A great closer. Angry and powerful.

OspreyQueen (8.5) - Even the saddest albums tend to end on a track that provides at least a glimmer of hope. The Altar does not do that. It ends on this upbeat but incredibly dark song that sounds like the album burning itself down with despair. And it’s amazing.

Guy (8.5) - This wouldn’t sound too out of place on Badlands, or even Hopeless Fountain Kingdom dddd. I know that may come across as shade, but I can’t help but stan tumblr born, alt-pop princess Ms. Frangipane.

Veeis (9) - Ahh, I love this one. I'm a little bit sad that it's not present on physical editions but I'm glad that we got it anyway. There is just some sort of power lying in that song. Gorgeous.

Remorque (9) - I initially thought back when I first listened that Jillian would end this album with a piano ballad, but then that non-chorus kicks in and, well... baby, murder was the case.

constantino (9) - The DRAMA of it all. The THEATRICS. Maybe, just maybe, she snapped.

happiestgirl (10) - The crescendo in the chorus...I die.

RUNAWAY (10) - Why this was a bonus track I’ll never know. This song is SINGLE MATERIAL. Her vocals are so powerful here and it’s such a moment.

Untouchable Ace (10) - Another 11 contender.

Music Is Life (10) - HOLY SHIT at the production just coming in like that with the “Baby murder was the case!” Wig flew so fucking far away. This is such an epic closer with hard-hitting lyrics and such great production I can’t even with it. And those backing vocals! Her voice! I’m so happy this album ended on a bang! This is another 11 contender.

Sprockrooster (10) - My runner-up for the 11-spot. It hit me hard on first play and still does. It's cinematic approach would almost make me crave for a bond-track from her. The fact it follows two slow songs and still doesn't feel like a drag is an absolute compliment and testament for the brilliant work that has gone into producing this track. The whole 'what happened in those 27 hours'-mystery has me captivated and it funds a massive speculative narrative everyone can fill in for themselves. This might be her most relatable track because of it. Especially as her fantastic singing completely draws me in. The same can be said about the long fade out from To The Hilt towards this song. A moment of silence is needed to have this wash over you. When the song is finished and to be clear the hattrick of the final three tracks from this masterpiece you can find pieces of me scattered all over the floor.

godspeed (10) - Ok, let's get this out of the way: why the hell is this a digital bonus track only? What the fuck, Jill?! I first listened to The Altar on Spotify and THE moment I remembered the most - along with the explosive banger that is "Trainwreck" and the outro of "Weaker Girl" - was this song and what a journey it was! At first, I thought "oh, ok, this is gonna be a piano-driven song to close the album, kind of logical after "To The Hilt"", but then it escalated way too quickly for me to get ready for it and when BANKS belted "BABY, MUDER WAS THE CASE" and that beat dropped... wow. Wow! WOW!!! And what makes this song particularly striking is how emotional it feels. It's not just a song with a huge production and a genius beat drop. This is an actually emotionally-heavy song and the pain and the anger is so palpable in BANKS' voice. Some people tend to criticize her vocal choices quite often - and understandably so most of the time - but if I see any of you tanking "27 Hours" because of the vocal performance, I will riot because this is one of her very best. "27 Hours" is an incredible song which still hits as hard as it used to during the winter of 2016.

Oh my God, I think I saw a ghost

He follow me everywhere I go

He don't even try to get creative

I smell a clown looking goofy dressed up as a native

Poltergeist.jpg

[artwork by ohnostalgia]

Poltergeist

Score: 8.563

My Score:
Highest: 10 x 14 (@Dijah., @elektroxx, @OspreyQueen, @RUNAWAY, @alejandrusco, @Sprockrooster, @Veeis, @happiestgirl, @Music Is Life, @Lost Boy, @Untouchable Ace, @godspeed, @sfmartin, @ohnostalgia)
Lowest: 5 x 2 (@abael, @Petty Mayonnaise) 6 x 1 (@rdp)

And with that, the last track to miss out on the Top 10. Ya'll said spooky szn is over!

Some quotes from BANKS where she explains how she came up with the song:

"In 'Poltergeist' I say 'I've been getting messages from my deep waters'. I was referring to this thing that happened to me for the last few years and this year especially. When I'm about to fall asleep or about to wake up, I find myself occasionally repeating certain sentences. It's like as if my conscious mind is starting to enter or is returning from letting my subconscious run wild to work out whatever I need to. Carl Jung says dreams do the work of integrating our conscious and unconscious lives; he called this the process of individuation."

"I sing the line, 'Oh my God, I think I saw a ghost,' through this really cool machine that layers your voice so you sound like you're undergoing an exorcism or something."

Remorque (7.5) - Unfortunately this is one of the songs on The Altar that fails to stick with me. I know this one is generally loved by most around the forum, but it's just never fully clicked with me, I guess?

Veeis (10) - That one was for me really weird at the beginning and I didn't really like it, I would even say that I mostly skipped. But somewhere at the beginning of this year I found new appreciation for that song, making it one of the best from The Altar, and also from hew whole carreer.

evilsin (7.5) - Quite an experience.

Untouchable Ace (10) - This is just a funky and really enjoyable song. The many vocal looped hooks are great.

Music Is Life (10) - A serious highlight in the back half of this album.

Guy (7.5) - The distorted vocal loop at the beginning honestly makes the whole song, and Zedd knew it huh? Fuck that loser.

RUNAWAY (10) - I still stand by the idea that this song should have been a single. It was so ahead of its time what with Zedd having a smash with that sample idea he stole from this song.

constantino (8) - Ooky spooky BOP. She’s ready for Halloween.

sfmartin (10) - Haunting and infectious. The jarring change in melody throughout the song adds to the spooky atmosphere. The lyrics are very memorable, special mention for “caretaKA”. This has slowly crept up on me. Take me with you to the crypt Queen.

Dijah. (10) - I’d never wanted to be possessed by a demon THIS bad before hearing this song for the first time. I smell the chemicals! I don’t see miracles!!!

happiestgirl (10) - Whenever i listen to this I feel like I'm having an exorcism.

OspreyQueen (10) - This is not an easy listen at all. It’s gloomy, desolate, and genuinely quite unnerving, so of course my depressed ass loves it. The piano chords in particular are just gut-wrenching.

Sprockrooster (10) - A coming of an age tale capsuled in one song. Everything just came right on this track. The balance to the more dark chorus and the almost light and fluffy middle-8.

godspeed (10) - The "Judas"-"Haunt"-"Poltergeist" section of The Altar took a little bit of time to fully grow on me. But once it did, it was undeniable to my eyes that "Poltergeist" was one of the most masterful moments of the album and of BANKS' career. This song is so weird - but in the best of ways - and almost kind of camp. Who the hell opens her verses with "My God, I think I saw a ghost" but sells it so effortlessly? This kind of lyrics could be so easily cringey, but here, it isn't AT ALL. The only artist who could manage that are Florence + The Machine, Kate Bush, Stevie Nicks and probably FKA twigs - so not a bad list to be a part of! It's what makes the song even more memorable, catchy and even fun. Same thing with "Baby looking cool smoking on a clover." Such a lyric shouldn't work but it just does with her. It fits the atmosphere and sonic and thematic universe BANKS created on this album. This is such a masterpiece and I wouldn't argue with anyone calling The Altar BANKS' magnum opus just because of this particular song. I'm still mad this didn't get a music video because it so badly deserved one.

Last edited:
she/her/brat
I honestly thought Lovesick had already been eliminated, but I gasped at Poltergeist getting cut.

Aside from Stroke, which I thought would fall out along around Godless, this top 10 is just as I expected it to be once Mother Earth wrongfully got eliminated.

Please call me your baby, baby, baby

Look how long that you have kept me waiting

I'm all in, look at all that I have given

Lovesick-550.jpg

[artwork by ohnostalgia]

Lovesick

Score: 8.544

My Score: 8
Highest: 10 x 10 (@elektroxx, @yeRleDanaL, @OspreyQueen, @RUNAWAY, @alejandrusco, @Music Is Life, @Slice of Life, @Lost Boy, @Petty Mayonnaise, @rdp)
Lowest: 4 x 1 (@abael) 6 x 2 (@soratami, @Verandi)

BANKS first performed "Lovesick" in 2013, three years before it's official release on The Altar. At the time, she only had a verse and chorus written, parts which ended up in the final version.

A quote from BANKS on the song:

"All I really need to say about this song is: lust. It's lust, but gentle, like in a puppy-love way. It's not innocent, but it's new, it's butterflies, it's about wanting someone so badly."

evilsin (7) - The beat is so... gentle here.

Sprockrooster (8) - Honestly a mantra for every single person out there.

Veeis (8) - Very cute, it felt a bit fillery at first listens but now I find it essential to the album. Some really nice harmonies are present here.

sfmartin (9) - Chorus doesn't explode enough. I was expecting the production to take a bigger leap in the chorus. But I love the relentless thumping rhythm of the whole thing.

Guy (9) - The PERFECT soundtrack to a non-Christian shower.

constantino (8) - This is just so...pure. I want to wrap this song around me in the cold winter months.

The Hot Rock (9) - Love a lethargic bop. Makes me want to lay in bed and stare at my ceiling.

Remorque (8.5) - One of the lighter moments on The Altar, this is probably the song that resembles the Goddess productions the most.

godspeed (9.5) - After the first two tracks on the album which feel overwhelming, "Lovesick" appears as a quieter, subtler and low-key moment that is very welcome. This song has a R&B feel to it that I always really appreciated. It is kind of a bridge between Goddess and The Altar and, probably for that reason, was the most instant track on the album when I first listened to it.

OspreyQueen (10) - Musically I kinda see this as a sequel to Change. While they’re ultimately very different experiences that deal with very different topics, they do have some noticeable similarities. Like the fact that they’re both absolutely brilliant.

Music Is Life (10) - I love the way the production pulses, kinda reminds me of the True Disaster/Love Me Harder/Style/Your Type kinda production, but also different in some ways. More subdued. I’m swaying so much to this beat though.

RUNAWAY (10) - Again, seeing this song live in its unfinished infant years is one of the highlights of my Banks experience. It’s so amazing seeing how it transformed into the song it is now.

I killed everything we were

Baby, murder was a case

27-Hours.jpg

[artwork by ohnostalgia]

27 Hours

Score: 8.547

My Score:
Highest: 11 x 1 (@jacobhalkohit) 10 x 8 (@elektroxx, @RUNAWAY, @Sprockrooster, @happiestgirl, @Music Is Life, @Slice of Life, @Untouchable Ace, @godspeed)
Lowest: 3 x 1 (@abael) 5 x 1 (@yeRleDanaL) 6.5 (@rdp)

"27 Hours" is a digital exclusive track off of The Altar, that was not included on the standard physical version. When talking about the song BANKS stated:

"The second I stop writing the most honest, raw, vulnerable stuff is the day that I don’t wanna see."

evilsin (7) - The bass is exquisite on this one.

sfmartin (8) - A great closer. Angry and powerful.

OspreyQueen (8.5) - Even the saddest albums tend to end on a track that provides at least a glimmer of hope. The Altar does not do that. It ends on this upbeat but incredibly dark song that sounds like the album burning itself down with despair. And it’s amazing.

Guy (8.5) - This wouldn’t sound too out of place on Badlands, or even Hopeless Fountain Kingdom dddd. I know that may come across as shade, but I can’t help but stan tumblr born, alt-pop princess Ms. Frangipane.

Veeis (9) - Ahh, I love this one. I'm a little bit sad that it's not present on physical editions but I'm glad that we got it anyway. There is just some sort of power lying in that song. Gorgeous.

Remorque (9) - I initially thought back when I first listened that Jillian would end this album with a piano ballad, but then that non-chorus kicks in and, well... baby, murder was the case.

constantino (9) - The DRAMA of it all. The THEATRICS. Maybe, just maybe, she snapped.

happiestgirl (10) - The crescendo in the chorus...I die.

RUNAWAY (10) - Why this was a bonus track I’ll never know. This song is SINGLE MATERIAL. Her vocals are so powerful here and it’s such a moment.

Untouchable Ace (10) - Another 11 contender.

Music Is Life (10) - HOLY SHIT at the production just coming in like that with the “Baby murder was the case!” Wig flew so fucking far away. This is such an epic closer with hard-hitting lyrics and such great production I can’t even with it. And those backing vocals! Her voice! I’m so happy this album ended on a bang! This is another 11 contender.

Sprockrooster (10) - My runner-up for the 11-spot. It hit me hard on first play and still does. It's cinematic approach would almost make me crave for a bond-track from her. The fact it follows two slow songs and still doesn't feel like a drag is an absolute compliment and testament for the brilliant work that has gone into producing this track. The whole 'what happened in those 27 hours'-mystery has me captivated and it funds a massive speculative narrative everyone can fill in for themselves. This might be her most relatable track because of it. Especially as her fantastic singing completely draws me in. The same can be said about the long fade out from To The Hilt towards this song. A moment of silence is needed to have this wash over you. When the song is finished and to be clear the hattrick of the final three tracks from this masterpiece you can find pieces of me scattered all over the floor.

godspeed (10) - Ok, let's get this out of the way: why the hell is this a digital bonus track only? What the fuck, Jill?! I first listened to The Altar on Spotify and THE moment I remembered the most - along with the explosive banger that is "Trainwreck" and the outro of "Weaker Girl" - was this song and what a journey it was! At first, I thought "oh, ok, this is gonna be a piano-driven song to close the album, kind of logical after "To The Hilt"", but then it escalated way too quickly for me to get ready for it and when BANKS belted "BABY, MUDER WAS THE CASE" and that beat dropped... wow. Wow! WOW!!! And what makes this song particularly striking is how emotional it feels. It's not just a song with a huge production and a genius beat drop. This is an actually emotionally-heavy song and the pain and the anger is so palpable in BANKS' voice. Some people tend to criticize her vocal choices quite often - and understandably so most of the time - but if I see any of you tanking "27 Hours" because of the vocal performance, I will riot because this is one of her very best. "27 Hours" is an incredible song which still hits as hard as it used to during the winter of 2016.

Oh my God, I think I saw a ghost

He follow me everywhere I go

He don't even try to get creative

I smell a clown looking goofy dressed up as a native

Poltergeist.jpg

[artwork by ohnostalgia]

Poltergeist

Score: 8.563

My Score:
Highest: 10 x 14 (@Dijah., @elektroxx, @OspreyQueen, @RUNAWAY, @alejandrusco, @Sprockrooster, @Veeis, @happiestgirl, @Music Is Life, @Lost Boy, @Untouchable Ace, @godspeed, @sfmartin, @ohnostalgia)
Lowest: 5 x 2 (@abael, @Petty Mayonnaise) 6 x 1 (@rdp)

And with that, the last track to miss out on the Top 10. Ya'll said spooky szn is over!

Some quotes from BANKS where she explains how she came up with the song:

"In 'Poltergeist' I say 'I've been getting messages from my deep waters'. I was referring to this thing that happened to me for the last few years and this year especially. When I'm about to fall asleep or about to wake up, I find myself occasionally repeating certain sentences. It's like as if my conscious mind is starting to enter or is returning from letting my subconscious run wild to work out whatever I need to. Carl Jung says dreams do the work of integrating our conscious and unconscious lives; he called this the process of individuation."

"I sing the line, 'Oh my God, I think I saw a ghost,' through this really cool machine that layers your voice so you sound like you're undergoing an exorcism or something."

Remorque (7.5) - Unfortunately this is one of the songs on The Altar that fails to stick with me. I know this one is generally loved by most around the forum, but it's just never fully clicked with me, I guess?

Veeis (10) - That one was for me really weird at the beginning and I didn't really like it, I would even say that I mostly skipped. But somewhere at the beginning of this year I found new appreciation for that song, making it one of the best from The Altar, and also from hew whole carreer.

evilsin (7.5) - Quite an experience.

Untouchable Ace (10) - This is just a funky and really enjoyable song. The many vocal looped hooks are great.

Music Is Life (10) - A serious highlight in the back half of this album.

Guy (7.5) - The distorted vocal loop at the beginning honestly makes the whole song, and Zedd knew it huh? Fuck that loser.

RUNAWAY (10) - I still stand by the idea that this song should have been a single. It was so ahead of its time what with Zedd having a smash with that sample idea he stole from this song.

constantino (8) - Ooky spooky BOP. She’s ready for Halloween.

sfmartin (10) - Haunting and infectious. The jarring change in melody throughout the song adds to the spooky atmosphere. The lyrics are very memorable, special mention for “caretaKA”. This has slowly crept up on me. Take me with you to the crypt Queen.

Dijah. (10) - I’d never wanted to be possessed by a demon THIS bad before hearing this song for the first time. I smell the chemicals! I don’t see miracles!!!

happiestgirl (10) - Whenever i listen to this I feel like I'm having an exorcism.

OspreyQueen (10) - This is not an easy listen at all. It’s gloomy, desolate, and genuinely quite unnerving, so of course my depressed ass loves it. The piano chords in particular are just gut-wrenching.

Sprockrooster (10) - A coming of an age tale capsuled in one song. Everything just came right on this track. The balance to the more dark chorus and the almost light and fluffy middle-8.

godspeed (10) - The "Judas"-"Haunt"-"Poltergeist" section of The Altar took a little bit of time to fully grow on me. But once it did, it was undeniable to my eyes that "Poltergeist" was one of the most masterful moments of the album and of BANKS' career. This song is so weird - but in the best of ways - and almost kind of camp. Who the hell opens her verses with "My God, I think I saw a ghost" but sells it so effortlessly? This kind of lyrics could be so easily cringey, but here, it isn't AT ALL. The only artist who could manage that are Florence + The Machine, Kate Bush, Stevie Nicks and probably FKA twigs - so not a bad list to be a part of! It's what makes the song even more memorable, catchy and even fun. Same thing with "Baby looking cool smoking on a clover." Such a lyric shouldn't work but it just does with her. It fits the atmosphere and sonic and thematic universe BANKS created on this album. This is such a masterpiece and I wouldn't argue with anyone calling The Altar BANKS' magnum opus just because of this particular song. I'm still mad this didn't get a music video because it so badly deserved one.

What is going on?

Why did any of these have to go before the top 10?