The BANKS Discography Rate | Page 28 | The Popjustice Forum

The BANKS Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by slaybellz, Jul 29, 2019.

1. 4 bops and 1 banger yas.

slaybellz and Untouchable Ace like this.
  2. Gemini Feed or Trainwreck would be great winners.

3. This is the most predictable top 5 ever and I knew even before this rate started that "Beggin For Thread" were "Gemini Feed" were going to be the top 2 contenders.

4. GOOD. I'm pretty pleased with the top 5. My main contender for my 11 is there.

Untouchable Ace likes this.
  5. And you can call me THAT bitch

[​IMG]

Gimme

Score: 9.138

Highest:
    10 x 15 (@slaybellz, @elektroxx, @The Hot Rock, @Hurricane Drunk, @happiestgirl, @nikkysan, @Slice of Life, @Lost Boy, @jacobhalkohit, @SlowGinFizzzz, @sfmartin, @Petty Mayonnaise, @Remorque, @ohnostalgia, @rdp)
    Lowest: 4 x 1 (@abael) 7 x 1 (@OspreyQueen)

"Gimme" was the lead single off BANKS' long awaited third album, III. It is the only song in the Top 5 not to receive any 11s.

Some quotes from BANKS on the song:

'"Gimme' is a song about getting what you want. It’s about knowing what you deserve, saying it out loud, and demanding it with no apologies. I’m ready to release this into the world and begin a new chapter."

"I feel the most badass when I'm singing. Not always, but sometimes, songs like 'Fuck With Myself' and 'Gimme', there's this inherent power in speaking quietly but saying really savage shit. I feel sweet and dangerous on it. So I wanted the beat to feel dangerous, and I met up with Hud Mo, and I mean, I had never worked with him before, but the second I met him I was like, 'I want to dive in with you,' because he's just so fucking dope and brilliant."

OspreyQueen (7) - Super unpopular opinion I know, but this is one of my least favourite songs from III. It sounds like it could have been produced by any old EDM producer, save for the bucket of noisy sound effects poured over the top. There’s no depth or complexity to it at all.

godspeed (8) - Someone on this forum said that this reminded him/her of a Timbaland production and I cannot unhear it now. But thanks to this person, it just made me appreciate "Gimme" even more. It was a good lead single. Even though I wasn't crazy about it at first, it felt like a logical evolution for BANKS and the confidence that she demonstrates here is something that you can only appreciate if you've been following her since Goddess. Back then, if you had told me that, one day, I'd hear BANKS sing "And you can call me that bitch" on a banger of a song, I wouldn't have believed you. But here we are!

Veeis (8.5) - At first I was underwhelmed, that song felt like a lead but there was something missing for me. But after album was released I got hooked to it, I find it now a great bop and the right choice to lead the album with.

Guy (8.5) - Definitely a grower. I didn’t love it outside the context of the album at first, but now I actually seek it out and add it to my playlists and such. Banger!

constantino (8.5) - This is admittedly a very simple song, but I cannot deny that this absolute and unequivocally slaps. Sounding like Post-apocalyptic Nelly Furtado.

Ana Raquel (9) - Personal Favorite of III.

Sprockrooster (9) - Sis is making insecure me feel like I have got a lot of swag suddenly.

evilsin (9) - What a rush!

Untouchable Ace (9.4) - An awesome return. It's good when an artist comes back with new music in timely way.

Music Is Life (9.5) - Love the production here.

The Hot Rock (10) - A bop to end all bops.

happiestgirl (10) - Recently realized this is about having her man lick her pussy juice off the ground...ok wig.

sfmartin (10) - Such a strong comeback. One of my favourites of the whole year. Such innovative production flourishes throughout. A fresh sonic direction but unmistakably Banks. An undoubted triumph. I would have like more barks.

Remorque (10) - Okay... It's confession time. I never even knew Banks was coming back until PopJustice featured her on ha New Music Friday playlist and ever since I'm fucking hooked again. And she came back with a banger? Your faves literally cannot. Her going all filthy and literally channeling me saying "fuck" every two sentences... I can't help but keep stanning.

soratami, Denemarken, Guy and 17 others like this.
  6. III

52. Look What You’re Doing To Me (feat. Francis and The Lights)
    49.What About Love
    44. Sawzall
    39. Hawaiian Mazes
    36. Till Now
    32. If We Were Made of Water
    24. Alaska
    22. Propaganda
    19. The Fall
    14. Godless
    9. Stroke
    6. Contaminated
    5. Gimme

soratami, Denemarken, Guy and 15 others like this.
  7. Sawzall at 44 still hurts...

8. What if the way we started made it something cursed from the start?

What if it only gets colder?

[​IMG]

Waiting Game

Score: 9.181

My Score:
    Highest: 11 x 1 (@constantino) 10 x 17 (@elektroxx, @The Hot Rock, @RUNAWAY, @alejandrusco, @Sprockrooster, @Hurricane Drunk, @happiestgirl, @Music Is Life, @Slice of Life, @Lost Boy, @Untouchable Ace, @godspeed, @SlowGinFizzzz, @sfmartin, @Verandi, @Petty Mayonnaise, @Remorque)
    Lowest: 6 x 1 (@abael) 6.5 x 1 (@Guy) 7 x 1 (@rdp)

"Waiting Game" was originally released on BANKS' London EP in 2013 and later included on her debut album, Goddess. This song is a fan favourite and one of her most popular on streaming so it's no surprise it did so well in the rate. It received the 2nd most 10s overall.

For those not familiar with the Neon Jungle drama as mentioned in all the commentary below. Basically, two months before BANKS was due to release her debut album, a British girl group named Neon Jungle released a cover of the song on their album Welcome to the Jungle without Banks' knowledge. In response, Banks posted this statement on her Facebook page:

"People keep asking why I let Neon Jungle put my song "Waiting Game" on their album when my album has yet to come out. The answer is I was never asked. I was as shocked as you to see this song made up of my own heartbeats on their album. A song that was born from my real life, my real heartache, my real fingertips when I was at one of the most confusing times in my life. How strange it is to see it used on someone else's album before it even comes out on mine. It makes me feel very uncomfortable. Like my own thoughts were stolen from me and sold as someone else's. I am a new artist and new to this business and I am told it is legal. But it feels really icky. I guess I can only hope "Waiting Game" means as much to Neon Jungle as it did to me when I wrote it."

The Neon Jungle version no longer appears on their album on any streaming platform.

Guy (6.5) - RIP Neon Jungle.

Veeis (7.8) - Ahh, a wonderful power ballad. Her vocal delivery is gorgeous here.

evilsin (8) - Oh damn, the moment the bass drops, my wig flies.

OspreyQueen (8.5) - This was my introduction to Banks, and I’m sure it was the same for plenty of others on the forum too. As soon as I heard that rumbling bass on my crap Apple earbuds, I knew I was a fan, and it’s even more of a treat today now I actually have good headphones and can appreciate the intricacies of the production.

Dijah. (9.5) - I admire Banks primarily for her lyrics. The honesty and emotionality that she tends to infuse in her songs really fuck me up, and Waiting Game was the first example of that I came across. RIP Neon Jungle, though.

The Hot Rock (10) - I'm depressed.

Untouchable Ace (10) - This is how you do a modern dark ballad. Everyone should look here for guidance.

RUNAWAY (10) - So beautiful and sad but also sexy. queen of evoking multiple moods from one song.

Music Is Life (10) - Oooo this is gorgeous. The minimal production at the beginning really let her vocals and the production shine, and the way it builds is really interesting and I like the way it pulses, if that makes sense.

sfmartin (10) - Scalped. Utterly transcendent. Devastating delivery. Fragile vocal but demanding and oppressive synths. It's a deadly combination. Has lost absolutely none of its potency.

Sprockrooster (10) - What if the way we started made it something cursed from the start?", the lyrics and conviction she sings them makes this an absolute killer track, not to mention the absolute impeccable production on this one.

Remorque (10) - This is one of the songs that introduced me to BANKS and I've never looked back since. This song spoke to me a lot at the time it was released and it still gives me the feels all these years later. Her not letting Neon Jungle keep it on their album was a shame though, because I loved their version too.

happiestgirl (10) - This is the first Banks song I ever heard and it hit (and still hits) really close to home, because I was in a long distance relationship and so much of it is just...stagnant.

godspeed (10) - This is the song that started it all for me. The first time I ever heard BANKS' voice. The song that made me fall in love with her. Funny enough, I found out about this song by listening to the Divergent soundtrack (I haven't even seen the film). A lot of artists that I love made songs for this soundtrack - Ellie Goulding, A$AP Rocky, Kendrick Lamar, Woodkid - yet, I only had eyes for this particular one. It's stunning. It's really bloody stunning. The way it starts as this very quiet and calm song before revealing itself to be an absolute storm after the first chorus... The way BANKS sings the chorus with so much vulnerability... Phew. What a song.

constantino (11) - Just...outstanding. There were some other contenders for my 11 that are a bit more catchy and instant, but I had to honour the fact that this was the song that first hooked me in, along with Fall Over. The inventiveness behind this song is what initially brought me to the laminator with my stan card in hard. No one was really doing what she was with those initial releases, and it made her the most exciting new artist for me. It almost makes me sad hearing this and then comparing it to III and knowing that despite liking a lot of that album, her initial music resonated far more. That said, if she can produce something of this quality from the jump, maybe I should have more faith, even if that is a dangerous thing for a girl like me to have.

9. Damn, I was hoping that "Waiting Game" was going to take this rate out.

10. Not you.

11. Honestly waiting for a shock exit that does not involve @abael as lowest scorer.

12. Not Waiting Game!

Ok, Beggin For Thread is my winner now.

Untouchable Ace likes this.
  13. My 11 reaching the top3 whew I love to see it. The Altar being almost locked out of the top10 but still getting two spots in the top3 whew I love to see it.

14. Guy

Guy

I’d prefer Trainwreck or Gemini Feed to take the crown, just because it’d be less predictable, but all 3 of the remaining songs are deserving winners.

Verandi and Mistress of All Evil like this.
  15. The last 3 all have 10's from me, so it's up to y'all (probably abael, lbr) to decide the rest.

nikkysan likes this.
  16. Hey, I heard it from the state

They told me you were never gonna let me get away

And if you took me fishing, you would never give me bait

I had to get away, I had to get away, I had to get away

[​IMG]

[artwork by ohnostalgia]

Trainwreck

Score: 9.447

My Score:
    Highest: 11 x 2 (@Sprockrooster, @Verandi) 10 x 18 (@elektroxx, @Ana Raquel, @yeRleDanaL, @The Hot Rock, @OspreyQueen, @RUNAWAY, @constantino, @Hurricane Drunk, @happiestgirl, @nikkysan, @Slice of Life, @jacobhalkohit, @Untouchable Ace, @SlowGinFizzzz, @sfmartin, @Petty Mayonnaise, @Guy, @Remorque)
    Lowest: 3 x 1 (@abael) 7.5 x 1 (@alejandrusco)

"Trainwreck" was the last single off of The Altar. Well "single" as in it got a music video, I don't know if it's considered an official single. This song tied with the 2nd place song in receiving the most 10s in the rate.

Some quotes from BANKS on the song:

"I actually wrote the verses when I was 15. I always knew I was going to use those lyrics some day – they're some of the first lyrics I ever wrote, like a stream-of-consciousness thing. They still mean so much to me and they still correlate to my life sometimes and they're still me, somehow. So I feel like this song's been a part of me for a long time."

I always wanted to use them! It was almost like when you’ve had something for so long you’re way too precious about it, and then when I was in the studio with DJ Dahi I just heard that beat and I was like, “Fuck it, I’m just going to go for it, I’m never going to find the right home for it unless I just find the right home for it and stop being so precious about it.”

Dijah. (8) - Not my favorite but it goes the fuck OFF live.

evilsin (9) - The chorus definitely takes the cake and eats it too.

Untouchable Ace (9.2) - Normally I don't agree with single line repeated choruses but it's got other elements to it to bring this home.

Music Is Life (9.5) - Love the choppy melody on the verses and the way the production matches it. The almost-rapped parts of the song actually work really well too. I really feel like dancing to this.

godspeed (9.5) - If I told you I was mind-blown when I first heard this song, it would be an understatement. I love DJ Dahi's production work, he is a such a brilliant producer who is able to work with hip hop artists yet perfectly fit on a pop artist's record. His versatility is something very rare and so impressive. But back in 2016, I wasn't really aware of that versatility. To me DJ Dahi was a producer who made great songs for rappers but I didn't think he'd work with an artist like BANKS. This collaboration was so unexpected and the music they created together and this particular song were also very unexpected. But it worked so well! BANKS' uptempo and more produced songs can sometimes feel kind of messy (see "And I Drove You Crazy" and "Fall Over"), but "Trainwreck" is simply perfect. It's a banger. It's BANKS fully embracing her confidence, her weirdness and experimental side. It's DJ Dahi showing us what a versatile genius he is. Mind-blowing.

Veeis (9.8) - God, this one is just insane. The instrumental and chorus delivery are genius work.

RUNAWAY (10) - Like Drowning, this song looks weird on paper but it’s actually fucking insane.

The Hot Rock (10) - A single that got away tbh.

Ana Raquel (10) - A huge contender for my 11 as well.

OspreyQueen (10) - You can bop to it. You can cry to it. You can smash dishes against the wall to it. A song for every possible occasion (unless you happen to be not depressed). Banks just tears this song into pieces with cataclysmic ferocity, and it’s an absolutely mind-blowing listen. Almost my 11.

constantino (10) - This absolute racket and clusterfuck of a song. No Banks song sends my ass clapping like this one. It’s a whole lotta mess but, after all, so am I.

happiestgirl (10) - That frantic BOP. This literally makes my heart rate speed up 100%.

Untouchable Ace (10) - I love those sections where she harmonises with herself on differing octaves.

Remorque (10) - What a fucking banger. I'm living for her rapping on this one and that chorus is a fucking serve.

sfmartin (10) - Superb track. A real step forward for her production and sound. Bitter, angry and intoxicating. Should have been a big hit. Imagine if Ariana released something like this it would have been number one for weeks. The melody of the pre chorus is awesome.

Guy (10) - That second pre-chorus is a career highlight. We’ve decided to ascend, etc.
    The production makes me feel like I’m on the brink of a major heart attack in the best possible way. Sis did that.

Verandi (11) - *insert Kelly Rowland "you doin' uptempo aaw" gif.* The easiest 11 I've ever given in a PJ rate. She tried something new and she nailed it, even if judging from III we'll never get an album in this vein. But wow what a moment, a moment that etc etc

Sprockrooster (11) - A self-fullfilling prophecy for a track, cause guess who is a trainwreck after listening this? Well, if the production doesn't sweep you of your feet, the lyrics will. I remember this was highly in contention for my 11 in the 2016 Altpop girls rate, but I will not regret this again. Knowing how hard the song goes I am still every time caught by surprise by it's sheer power.​

17. Finale tomorrow night! It's almost over I promise!

[​IMG]

18. Team Gemini Feed!

ohnostalgia and sfmartin like this.
  19. Inland Empire

Inland Empire Staff Member

Oh for FUCK'S sake.

20. Nn

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.