The Born to Die vs. Paradise vs. Ultraviolence Rate (WINNER REVEALED!)

c5hor7ce.jpg

Hello and welcome to the Born to Die vs. Paradise vs. Ultraviolence rate!

I can't tell you how happy and excited I am to be hosting this. Like many others, I was introduced to Lana Del Rey back in the summer of 2011. Someone had sent me a link to a YouTube video and told me to check it out. The first thing I heard was bell, ringing four times. This was followed by a gorgeous string arrangement that instantly captured my attention. Then the vocals came in. "Swinging in the backyard, pull up in your fast car, whistling my name". I distinctly remember getting goosebumps all over my body when I first heard that voice. This song that seemingly came out of nowhere would eventually go on to touch people's hearts all over the planet and mark the beginning of a unique career filled with ups and downs.

It's been only three years since "Video Games" came out and in that short period of time, Lana has become a global phenomenon. There has been a lot of discussion about authenticity, feminism, sexism, plastic surgery and other topics but let's focus on what's most important: the music.

Without further ado, I present to you the list of songs that I want you to rate:

nocx8ol4.jpg

Born to Die

2. Video Games9.260
3. Born to Die9.250
4. National Anthem9.041
6. Off to the Races8.854
8. Summertime Sadness8.806
9. Blue Jeans8.792
16. Radio8.204
17. Dark Paradise8.061
22. Without You7.561
25. This Is What Makes Us Girls7.347
26. Lolita7.296
30. Lucky Ones7.041
33. Diet Mountain Dew6.857
35. Carmen6.755
36. Million Dollar Man6.745
Album Average7.991

lana-del-rey-paradise-400x400.jpg

Paradise

1. Ride9.286
10. American8.643
11. Gods & Monsters8.469
14. Cola8.854
24. Bel Air7.418
27. Body Electric7.245
32. Burning Desire6.929
38. Blue Velvet6.214
39. Yayo5.602
Album Average7.570

Lana-Del-Rey-Ultraviolence-cover-artwork-small-400x400.jpg

Ultraviolence

5. West Coast8.867
7. Brooklyn Baby8.837
12. Old Money8.439
13. Ultraviolence8.398
15. Shades of Cool8.214
18. Cruel World7.918
19. Black Beauty7.765
20. Money Power Glory7.714
21. Fucked My Way Up to the Top7.653
23. Flipside7.429
28. Is This Happiness7.153
29. Florida Kilos7.112
31. Sad Girl6.969
34. Pretty When You Cry6.827
37. The Other Woman6.684
40. Guns And Roses5.112
Album Average7.568

Last edited:
He / Him / His
Re: The Born to Die vs. Paradise vs. Ultraviolence Rate (Vote Now!)

My averages are 8.33 / 7.66 / 7 respectively.

So many 10s. I do wish we had more time to spend with Ultraviolence before rating it (at least half a year) because right now my average for the standart edition is 9.22. I used to hold Born to Die in similarly high regard too after its release, but now I see it a bit differently (it's still a solid 8.5 though, but you know what I mean).

So many 10s. I do wish we had more time to spend with Ultraviolence before rating it (at least half a year) because right now my average for the standart edition is 9.22. I used to hold Born to Die in similarly high regard too after its release, but now I see it a bit differently (it's still a solid 8.5 though, but you know what I mean).
Well, it's all just for fun. I think it'll be nice to revisit this thread in a year or so and see how your opinions have changed.

I am so here for this, I will be in agony over the scoring with some people. I can tell already!

I do this, but I'm afraid someone would mistake me for VivaLaBextor with all my 0's.

Oh well.

Well, it's all just for fun. I think it'll be nice to revisit this thread in a year or so and see how your opinions have changed.

Oh yeah, sure! I'm riding so high on Ultraviolence right now anyway, I don't even really care if my scores will seem overblown.

Re: The Born to Die vs. Paradise vs. Ultraviolence Rate (VOTING CLOSES JULY 30!)

Sent! Six tens (only one from Born To Die), extremely up-and-down album averages, reverse-chronological album ranking.

Re: The Born to Die vs. Paradise vs. Ultraviolence Rate (VOTING CLOSES JULY 30!)

Yes! Definitely taking part in this one. I hope Video Games doesn't win.

Yaaaaas. Here for this. If Brooklyn Baby doesn't make top 10 I will be screaming.

I was hoping to avoid listening to Ultra-average in full again for a while but I guess it must be done!

I was hoping to avoid listening to Ultra-average in full again for a while but I guess it must be done!

I find it much more enjoyable if the songs are listened to sporadically rather than in one sitting. I like or love every song on it but generally not one after the other