The Boyfriend (gay Japanese dating show on Netflix)

The first two episodes of this are great. Really fascinating look into the world of gay dating in Japan. Lots of characters to root for and a very compelling dynamic.

The Gogglebox style interludes are a little distracting and serve to only make the subtext text. . . but I think a few of you will enjoy this. It has been getting very positive reviews too.

The Gogglebox style interludes are a little distracting and serve to only make the subtext text. . . but I think a few of you will enjoy this. It has been getting very positive reviews too.
When I visited Japan a few months ago, I found these were basically on every show, and usually you get the faces of the people watching at all times in the corner of the screen. Seemed wild to me but a staple of Japanese TV!

Just watched the first episode. It's so calm and laid back, unlike any other dating show I've watched so far. I did not expect a panel to comment on everything, though, but I don't mind them.

And sorry to be so superficial, but Taehon is so fucking hot.

he/him/his
Watched the first episode and it was super cute how respectful and shy they all are. So different from any other dating show which I really liked.

Dai could end up being a messy queen I think ddd.

I was a big fan of Terrace House so I’m kinda used to the format but I feel like the editing here is a bit shit? It’s like we only see 30 seconds of their conversations. And then we see that Shun likes Dai but we barely saw them interacting so it’s like… when did this happen?? I’ll keep watching though.

Okay episode 3 kinda ended all my complaints. The brazilian guy came to shake things up, finally. Now the only bummer is that there’s only one couple…

The cook (why cast him if he’d be gone most days??) and the stripper feel like are only there to promote themselves and have no real interest in dating though.

I like how shy and polite they all are, makes for a nice change of pace. But unfortunately, they don't really seem to be interested in each other and I'm not feeling Dai and Shun at all.
Also, Taeheon is a legit hottie, why does he not get any attention?