THE BOYS (New gay series written by Russel T Davies for channel 4) | The Popjustice Forum

THE BOYS (New gay series written by Russel T Davies for channel 4)

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Mr Brightside, Sep 29, 2018.

1. The Boys, a 5-part series written by Russell T Davies (Queer As Folk, A Very English Scandal, Cucumber) will follow the story of the 1980s, the story of AIDS, and the story of three boys, Ritchie, Roscoe and Colin, across the decade.

Ritchie, Roscoe and Colin are young lads, strangers at first, leaving home at 18 and heading off to London in 1981 with hope and ambition and joy… and walking straight into a plague that most of the world ignores. Year by year, episode by episode, their lives change, as the mystery of a new virus starts as a rumour, then a threat, then a terror, and then something that binds them together in the fight.
    It’s the story of their friends, lovers and families too, especially Jill, the girl who loves them and helps them, and galvanises them in the battles to come. Together they will endure the horror of the epidemic, the pain of rejection and the prejudices that gay men faced throughout the decade.

There are terrible losses and wonderful friendships. And complex families, pushed to the limit and beyond. This is a series that remembers the boys we lost, and celebrates those lives that burned so brightly.

It’s scheduled to go into production in 2019

Sounds promising. I hope it’s not as bad as Cucumber

Remorque likes this.
  2. There’s something else sexuality themed starting next week on Ch4 called The Bisexual, that also looks very interesting.

Nothing can be as awful as Cucumber, I hope.

Remorque and Mr Brightside like this.
  3. A Very English Scandal was incredibly well written, so....I'm hopeful for this. Especially as it's set in the past, like Scandal. Davis' problem with regards to the awful Cucumber was that he clearly can't write for the modern gay man.

Remorque, LP, Tribal Spaceman and 2 others like this.
  4. Gays. 80s. AIDS. Tired.

5. I didn't see a very A Very English Scandal but it's good news if that was well written I guess, because I've ultimately come to the conclusion that I don't know if Russell T Davis was ever any good. I'm not just basing that on Cucumber, horrible thing that it was, but also Queer As Folk. Going back to watch it after the years of incredibly high quality tv we enjoy nowadays, my memories were shattered.

The thing I hated most was the large numbers of dreadful, hammy soliloquies and speeches characters would just blurt out, reaching the absolute nadir when Stuart came out to his family with that godawful 'I rim and am rimmed, fuck and am fucked...' speech which no person in the history of the planet, no matter how reckless, would say in front of their sister, parents and young nephews. Just embarrassing.

Sure it was groundbreaking, sure there is some nuggets of good stuff to be found in it, but god if a lot of it isn't just utter nonsense. Cucumber highlighted his problem with lack of restraint to an even greater degree.

diamondliam and ladylloyd like this.
  6. Grief! Glad I don’t remember that!

7. Is there nobody else that can write gay dramas?

8. How many drama series have there been about gay men in the 80s?

Will be far more interesting than if it was about bunch of white Clapham gays having body wars on instagram. Maybe in Series 2.

Mr Brightside likes this.
  9. I'd hate watch Cucumber and Banana again. Itvwas sovawful. Weirdly there was one good episode

10. Angels In America and The Normal Heart are two that come to mind.
    Plus a ton of movies with the same themes.

I just think this side of the story has been played out enough times already.

11. I don’t think it hurts to remind the young gays about the aids epidemic. Many forget about it and think they are indestructible.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.