The Braxton Family Singles rate: Toni, Tamar, Traci, Trina and Towanda | Page 24 | The Popjustice Forum

The Braxton Family Singles rate: Toni, Tamar, Traci, Trina and Towanda

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by londonrain, Feb 24, 2020.

?

Which of these rates should I run next?

1. 1994-2011 Grammy nominees for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance

31.8%
  2. Destiny's Child solo singles (Kelly/LeToya/LaTavia/Michelle/Farrah)

6.8%
  3. En Vogue singles rate

11.4%
  4. Monica singles rate

4.5%
  5. Whitney Houston singles rate

45.5%
  1. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

[​IMG]

Gimme Some is that lost bop. Maybe they didn't want to release two bops in a row?

Also: I'm Still Breathing is a fantastic song and if Spanish Guitar didn't exist then it would have been a very worthy second single.

soratami, A&E, vague and 4 others like this.
  2. Just Be A Man About It slander?

[​IMG]

vague and londonrain like this.
  3. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

We come to the end of the tightly-packed #57-62 section of this rate, which also closes out the songs that have averages of below 7.

So which song came out on top?

Well, it's my second highest score of the section...

...but losing it now wipes out an entire album.

[​IMG]

57. Blind
    Tamar: #10 of 18

Average: 6.970
    Highest scores: 10 x 1 (@Holly Something), 9 x 3 (@ComeOnGloria, @pop3blow2, @Damita Jo)
    Lowest scores: 1.5 x 1 (@A&E), 3 x 1 (@Angeleyes)
    My score: 8

Trajectory:
    6 ballots: #32
    12 ballots: #56
    18 ballots: #52
    24 ballots: #55
    27 ballots: #57

Squeaking into Tamar's personal top 10 - and just missing out on a 7.0 average - is Blind, which I'd put in my personal top 5 Tamar songs. @Holly Something follows @RainOnFire, @vague and me in a run of four people losing their first 10 in four consecutive eliminations. Blind is also the highest-ranked track of the four songs in this rate from Tamar's 2017 album Bluebird of Happiness, which means this is her second album to be completely eliminated, after Winter Loversland... and we're still yet to lose any tracks from Tamar or Calling All Lovers (although all of you putting Love It in Tamar's top 10 was a goddamned choice, especially ahead of the likes of Pieces and Blind).

Blind was released as the second official single from Bluebird of Happiness on September 22, 2017, a week before the album's release, and uses the chord progression and central metaphor of Etta James's classic I'd Rather Go Blind, with the protagonist saying she'd rather go blind than to see her man with someone else, rather than going blind instead of seeing him leave. Etta wrote the song with her friend Ellington "Fugi" Jordan, who outlined the idea to her when she visited him in prison, but also gave a songwriting credit to her partner at the time, Billy Foster, but for some reason only Foster and Jordan have songwriting credits on Blind.

Blind was produced by Davy Nathan and Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins, making it eligible for inclusion in the Darkchild rate that @KingBruno and I ran, which was won by Toni's smash He Wasn't Man Enough. In that rate, Blind finished at #56 out of 60 songs, with an average of 5.5. It failed to get a single 10, with a 9.7 from @Untouchable Ace being its highest score, and it got a zero from @Aester. A pretty poor performance for what was only Tamar's second appearance in a rate, her first one being the inclusion of Love and War in the Queens of R&B/Hip-Hop rate, where it finished at #83 out of 112 songs with a 6.53 average, despite an 11 from @AlmightyAloud. (The winner of that rate was Beyoncé's Countdown, which received no 11s and was one of only three songs to manage an average of more than 9.)

I gave this the same score in both rates but I was the only one who did: @berserkboi gave this a 7.8 in the Darkchild rate but only a 5.9 here, @Daniel_O gave this a 6 there but only a 4 here, @soratami gave this a 6 there but only a 5 here, and @Sprockrooster and @WowWowWowWow both dropped their 7s there to 6.5s here. Some people did exhibit taste, though, as @Remorque bumped his score up from an 8.5 in the Darkchild rate to 8.75 here, @Robsolete went up from 7 to 7.5, and @Holly Something bumped up her 9 to a 10 here.

The end of the video to My Man heavily implies that the video's storyline will be continued in the video for Blind, with Blind playing in the car as Tamar gets in at the end, and a "to be continued" message at the end. However, I can't find any evidence that a video was actually filmed for Blind, which makes it all the more bizarre that Wanna Love You Boy and The Makings Of You somehow received videos. Promotional single Pick Me Up - which is a low-key bop - didn't get a video either:

Commercially, Blind failed to replicate the success of Tamar's previous singles, peaking at #23 on the Adult R&B Songs chart, breaking her streak of top ten singles on that chart stretching back to 2013's Love and War. (Hot Sugar is the only Tamar single not to have charted on the Adult R&B Songs chart apart from the singles from her debut, and that's probably because Hot Sugar would have been the wrong genre for the urban adult contemporary radio stations that the chart tracks.) Blind's failure to chart on the Hot 100 or Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs charts also means that Bluebird of Happiness is the only Tamar album to fail to produce a charting single on either chart (although admittedly it is also her only album not to be released on a major label, and she did manage to top the Independent Albums chart with it and get to #14 on the Billbaord 200).

I think the song has a lot of heart to it - much more so than My Man - and Tamar's vocals on this are amazing, with everything from the emotion to the technical ability here on display, which means that the five minutes actually fly past despite it being such a slow and stripped-back song. The whistle notes at 4:09... whew. Tamar also delivered a hell of a live performance of it at the 2017 Soul Train Awards. The video appears to have been scrubbed form the Internet, but the audio is here:

@WowWowWowWow (6.5) is bored: "Remember when Tamar was on Dancing With The Stars and showed up late during the live show due to her illness and still managed to perform? That was what I started thinking about when this song didn't really keep my attention so much."

(Tamar had to withdraw from the competition after making it to the top five, due to several pulmonary emboli resulting from thoracic outlet syndrome, after initially thinking she had pneumonia. Her then-husband Vincent Herbert previously had the same condition. The video below explains what happened.)

@Butterfly (7.3) blames this song for the delay in her ballot: "This is the one that sent me to sleep whilst rating, it’s cute though."

@Angeleyes (3) has a weird problem: "Vocally, she sounds great. Lyrically, the typical Braxton melodrama. Musically, the gospel organ is stressing me out."

We end with @Holly Something (10), who will be really disappointed to see Tamar miss the top 55 in a rate again: "My discovery in the Darkchild rate, what a beautiful song. Would be my 11 in a Tamar rate I'm sure."

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    soratami, A&E, lemonsqueezyy and 12 others like this.
  4. Yikes. The instant decay.

Other than maybe being a tad too long & the electric piano riff getting a bit monotonous in places, I think 'Blind' is pretty great. This mainly do to the vocals.

5. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Well, this happened to My Man:
    I really had hope for these two singles early in the voting period.

soratami, vague, berserkboi and 3 others like this.
  6. Oh wow, I missed that on 'My Man'. The slanderous 'rejectory'!

vague, berserkboi and londonrain like this.
  7. Okay I'm out. Goodbye y'all.

8. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

I'm right behind you sis.

I guess there's no point trying to make a case for Just Be a Man About It because it seems like no one's here for it except for me (I honestly think The Heat's singles run was perfect as is) but I don't understand Blind leaving now at all. I didn't say anything with Where Did We Go Wrong or My Man even though I was seething with those eliminations, but this 1-2 punch is too much.

Is it balladphobia? I'm so confused. And if it isn't, then some of Toni's dusty remixes can vacate ASAP.

9. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Well, we’re cutting a couple more ballads before the top 50, but the rest of the songs leaving before the top 50 are decidedly not ballads.

And it’s safe to say the remixes aren’t going to remain untouched for much longer...

(...but yes, I genuinely don’t understand why Blind has left so early.)

10. I went from 7.8 to 5.9? I am actually becoming more cut-throat!

To be fair - having to go up against so much stunning Toni music did it no favours at all...

11. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

You also gave Cater 2 U a 0.8 in that rate dddd.

Feel free to explain yourself to @Holly Something, sis. I love Toni, but there are plenty of her songs in this rate that Blind is better than.

12. @londonrain trying to instigate a fight between me and @Holly Something? Is that what Tamar does with her sisters on the show? If so, I stan (I do the same with my siblings) Ddddd :D

13. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

In fairness, it's mostly Tamar fighting with her sisters.

(Poor Trina.)

14. Sweet Jesus! I’m gonna have to binge watch this!

15. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I stan Tamar's vocal talent, but good grief, she seems like an exhausting person to be around.

vague and berserkboi like this.
  16. Team Remix will accept an early departure for “You’re Makin’ Me High (T’empo Remix)” and “You’re Makin’ Me High (T’empo Remix)” only.

vague, berserkboi and londonrain like this.
  17. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

[​IMG]

18. Noooooo my inaccurate punctuation quoted for posterity!!!!

19. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

The devil works hard, but @londonrain works harder.

[​IMG]

20. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

A special shoutout to @Daniel_O, who has lost only five songs so far that he gave more than a 5 to (Last Call, Crazy Kind Of Love, Game Time, Moonlight and The Time Of Our Lives), while the rest of us have been losing faves left, right and centre. Nobody has been left unscathed by the 21 eliminations we've had so far, with every voter having to watch a number of high scores leave.

With Tamar in particular it seems like the problem is that everyone had particular parts of her discography that they gravitated to... but they didn't all throw their weight behind the same part. Tamar doesn't have a single track in this rate that hasn't received at least a 9 - which is more than Toni can say - and six of her nine eliminated songs got at least one 10, with eight different people handing one or more of the tracks a 10.

soratami, A&E, Sprockrooster and 5 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.