The Depeche Mode Singles Rate [81>13] #2, #1, THANK YOU ALL

Should Alan Wilder come back?

• Yes

• Fuck yes

• Yeah!!!

Results are only viewable after voting.
header.jpg

Welcome to my first ever rate! What I have for you is a band that shaped electronic music until it was refined to perfection on Violator, to move effortlessly to stadium synthrock with Songs of Faith and Devotion, then progress into icy cold techno sounds of Exciter and their most recent album Delta Machine. One of the founding members left to start some little known bands called Yazoo! and Erasure. His replacement also moved on to produce some damn good stuff as Recoil and to this day many fans demand his return in a way not dissimilar to Apple fans demanding Steve Jobs' return. One of them was quite literally dead for two minutes. One spent decades drinking so much he had seizures. One of them is the best one-finger keyboardist in the world, famous iPod Shuffle DJ and a "non-musical member" of the band. Lads and ladies, please welcome on stage the DEPECHE MODE!!!!!!

*thunderousapplause.gif*

We are rating thirty two years of singles, fifty eight tracks in total. I am going to present them to you in form of moving pictures called YouTube clips. I haven't grouped the non-album singles together to keep chronological order. Scroll to the end for a Spotify playlist.

Dreaming Of Me (non-album single)

SPEAK & SPELL

New Life
Just Can't Get Enough

A BROKEN FRAME

See You
The Meaning Of Love
Leave In Silence

Get The Balance Right! (non-album single)

CONSTRUCTION TIME AGAIN

Everything Counts
Love, In Itself

SOME GREAT REWARD

People Are People
Master and Servant
Blasphemous Rumours
Somebody

SINGLES 81>85

Shake the Disease
It's Called A Heart

BLACK CELEBRATION

Stripped
But Not Tonight
A Question Of Lust
A Question Of Time

MUSIC FOR THE MASSES

Strangelove
Never Let Me Down Again
Behind the Wheel
Little 15
Strangelove '88

Route 66 (non-album single)

101 (LIVE ALBUM)

Everything Counts (live)

VIOLATOR

Personal Jesus
Enjoy the Silence
Policy of Truth
World in My Eyes

SONGS OF FAITH AND DEVOTION

I Feel You
Walking in My Shoes
Condemnation
In Your Room

ULTRA

Barrel of a Gun
It's No Good
Home
Useless

SINGLES 86>98

Only When I Lose Myself

EXCITER

Dream On
I Feel Loved
Freelove
Goodnight Lovers

REMIXES 81-04

Enjoy the Silence 04 (remixed by Mike Shinoda)

PLAYING THE ANGEL

Precious
A Pain That I'm Used To
Suffer Well
John the Revelator
Lilian

THE BEST VOL. 1

Martyr

SOUNDS OF THE UNIVERSE

Wrong
Peace
Fragile Tension
Hole to Feed

REMIXES 2: 81-11

Personal Jesus 2011 (remixed by Stargate)

DELTA MACHINE

Heaven
Soothe My Soul
Should Be Higher

ADDED: Spotify playlist. Bear in mind the proper single mix of Route 66 is not available on Spotify, the Nile Rodgers mix is similar but not identical. The original US 7" mix of Strangelove 88 is not available on Spotify, therefore the full 12" Tim Simenon/Mark Saunders remix is included. I left Freelove out because the Flood mix is not on Spotify and the album version is atrocious. Some other songs are extended album cuts. Refer to the YouTube links in doubt and treat Spotify as a refresher rather than The Right Mixes.

Click the Spoiler button for a handy list you can copy and paste.

Dreaming of Me
New Life
Just Can't Get Enough
See You
The Meaning of Love
Leave in Silence
Get the Balance Right!
Everything Counts
Love, in Itself
People Are People

Master and Servant
Blasphemous Rumours
Somebody
Shake the Disease
It's Called a Heart
Stripped
But Not Tonight
A Question of Lust
A Question of Time
Strangelove

Never Let Me Down Again
Behind the Wheel
Little 15
Strangelove '88
Route 66
Everything Counts (Live)
Personal Jesus
Enjoy the Silence
Policy of Truth
World in My Eyes

I Feel You
Walking in My Shoes
Condemnation
In Your Room
Barrel of a Gun
It's No Good
Home
Useless
Only When I Lose Myself
Dream On

I Feel Loved
Freelove
Goodnight Lovers
Enjoy the Silence 04 (remixed by Mike Shinoda)
Precious
A Pain That I'm Used To
Suffer Well
John the Revelator
Lilian
Martyr

Wrong
Peace
Fragile Tension
Hole to Feed
Personal Jesus 2011
Heaven
Soothe My Soul
Should Be Higher

And now for some RULES!!! Because I like rules.

1. The deadline for sending your entries in is October 24. That's TWO weeks from now.
2. Score each song from 0 to 10. Half-points are allowed. One, and only one song can get the sacred 11 score. (No, no little 15, sacred 11 it is.)
3. Provide some commentary to keep us all amused.
4. If you find a better link than the ones I used, PM me and I shall replace them.
5. Once you are done with scoring, commentary and all that, PM them to me with a clear subject line along the lines of "My Depeche Mode rate scores".
6. Bear in mind I have never done a rate so things will probably break, explode and become embarrassing. I'll do my best though.

Last edited:
58. Personal Jesus 2011 4.888
57. Hole To Feed 5.259
56. The Meaning Of Love 5.329
55. Lilian 5.818
54. Peace 5.929
53. (52) Heaven 5.953
52. (53) Enjoy The Silence 04 (Remixed by Mike Shinoda) 5.971
51. Fragile Tension 6.247
50. Goodnight Lovers 6.265
49. In Your Room 6.459
48. (46) Dreaming Of Me 6.465
47. It's Called A Heart 6.512
46. (48) Soothe My Soul 6.535
45. Should Be Higher 6.641
44. Little 15 6.653
43. A Pain That I'm Used To 6.806
42. John The Revelator 6.959
41. (40) Route 66 7.035
40. (41) But Not Tonight 7.076
39. I Feel Loved 7.094
38. (37) Martyr 7.176
37. (38) Barrel Of A Gun 7.182
36. (35) Useless 7.224
35. (36) Condemnation 7.276
34. (33) Wrong 7.441
33. (34) Suffer Well 7.447
32. Freelove 7.506
31. See You 7.571
30. Dream On 7.612
29. Love, In Itself 7.665
28. Somebody 7.753
27. New Life 7.888
26. Only When I Lose Myself 7.941
25. Everything Counts (Live) 8.012
24. Strangelove 88 8.082
23. Just Can't Get Enough 8.282
22. Get The Balance Right! 8.488
21. Blasphemous Rumours 8.518
20. Home 8.541
19. Master And Servant 8.576
18. I Feel You 8.594
17. (16) Behind The Wheel 8.641
16. (17) Leave In Silence 8.653
15. People Are People 8.659
14. Walking In My Shoes 8.682
13. It's No Good 8.794
12. (10) A Question Of Lust 8.971
11. A Question Of Time 9.018
10. Precious 9.076
9. Shake The Disease 9.124
8. World In My Eyes 9.306
7. Everything Counts 9.418
6. Policy Of Truth 9.541
5. Strangelove 9.582
4. Stripped 9.600
3. Personal Jesus 9.612
2. Never Let Me Down Again 9.747
1. Enjoy The Silence 9.947

Last edited:
Excited!

I know where my eleven is going, but how many tens can I give before I look like one of those obsessive fans that can't accept their favourite artist is capable of releasing a shit single?

Yikes, this is a must-do but I can't possibly stop myself from giving too many tens! My all-time favorite band.

Excited!

I know where my eleven is going, but how many tens can I give before I look like one of those obsessive fans that can't accept their favourite artist is capable of releasing a shit single?

That's what they released "Condemnation" for... so you can give it a 6

First set of results is in!

I finished my own but have to work on commentary and still didn't pick my 11. There's at least four or five contenders. And the later day stuff isn't as bad as I remembered, perhaps because from Exciter on albums became unbearable which coloured my view of the singles.

That's what they released "Condemnation" for... so you can give it a 6

Noooo! I love Condemnation. Quite amazing that Dave gave what is quite probably his best vocal at the height of his drug problems.

I've had a quick run through and it's entirely possible that there might be just over forty tens in this rate for me. Too many? In my defence, they're one of those groups that I've grown up with so there's a lot of history in these tracks. Plus I grew up just down the road from them.

I found a correct version of Strangelove 88! Link added.

I love everything about Condemnation. The Mode biography really shows the road Dave went from functioning junkie to barely being able to sing (or, er, live). If I remember correctly they only managed to record Sister Of Night for Ultra as he couldn't sing anymore and they thought Dave was going to die.

Yep, I'm another Condemnation fan, in fact I think all the singles from SOFAD are stunning. Was so tough handing out my 11 and I'm still not sure I've made the right choice.

Yeah I had a feeling Dave was literally singing a word at a time for each take on some songs during the Ultra sessions.

I like the albums after Ultra but they have a lot to live up to, plus they all tend to be overlong. If they'd be cut down to 10 tracks they would be so much stronger.

For me their best albums are:

Some great reward
Music for the masses
Violator

and "101" is my all time favourite live album - I also have the double DVD.
"Never let me down" is as good as any live performance gets.
I really wanted to be at that concert.

Then I met a guy at work in 2002 (American) who DID go to it and I got him to describe it to me in detail.
I'm still good friends with him and we've been to some great gigs together in London - but I'm still in awe of him being at the "101" concert. He said that he ate a "cup" of those chunks chips that you see in the promo t-shirts/programme.
God, he was one lucky person who happened to live in the right city at the right time! *sigh*

Most of the post-SOFAD albums would do with some heavy-handed editing. Exciter is the worst for me, the only salvageable things are "Dream On", "I Feel Loved" and "Goodnight Lovers". The production is absolutely terrible. Mark Bell is amazing, Depeche Mode are amazing, but they shouldn't be let into one room together. Flood showed really well how a song like "Freelove" can be turned from shit to gold. So what did DM do? Did they ask Flood to produce the next album? Hell no, they went with Ben Hillier because Martin can wank over his collection of analogue synthesizers.

*sigh* Sorry, I feel quite strongly about this.

Also I completed the artwork for everything. Some of it is surprisingly hard to find in decent quality and I am still not sure whether I got Strangelove and Strangelove 88 correct.

For a really brilliant clip of "New life" from early 1982 see attached link.
This has that slow intro and really captures how the song gets faster and faster - and that nod to The Beatles "Twist and shout" whereby one by by they do the "Ahhhhh" chant!

LIVE Synth pop doesn't get any better than this where you're 12 years old!

For me their best albums are:

Some great reward
Music for the masses
Violator

and "101" is my all time favourite live album - I also have the double DVD.
"Never let me down" is as good as any live performance gets.
I really wanted to be at that concert.

Then I met a guy at work in 2002 (American) who DID go to it and I got him to describe it to me in detail.
I'm still good friends with him and we've been to some great gigs together in London - but I'm still in awe of him being at the "101" concert. He said that he ate a "cup" of those chunks chips that you see in the promo t-shirts/programme.
God, he was one lucky person who happened to live in the right city at the right time! *sigh*

I wasn't at the 101 concert, but I did go the world premier of the film. I remember standing in the foyer, hearing a bit of a commotion behind me and turning round to see Dave walk past me holding his son. I would've killed to have been at the Rosebowl itself though. DM, OMD, Thomas Dolby and the mighty Wire all on the same bill... wow indeed!

Album wise, I'm going with Ultra, Songs of Faith and Devotion, Music For the Masses and Black Celebration.